Some Lessons Learned this Week at Ft Wilderness

cdoc29

Cruising with the Crazies
Here is what I learned this week staying in the Cabins at Ft Wildernes

1) If you are staying in a cabin you do not want the 2700 or 2800 loop. Both are swampy in the middle of the loop and on the outside edges. Which leads to number 2

2) Mosquito's, don't let anyone fool you into thinking there are no bugs at Ft Wilderness, we had mosquito's and another biting type insect. We go a citronella candle but once dusk hit we were driven inside, I attribute it to being so close to the standing water

3) the Fort is busy, like there is a line for the main pool to get in on the weekends and the quiet pool was closed at times due to capacity.

4) The boat transportation is the not a good option unless you really just want to ride the boat, The bus is better due to speed but with reduced capacity on both you could be waiting awhile. We had a car and drove to HS, AK, EPCOT but took WDW transportation to MK, we should have drove.

5) Golf Cart, I am sure glad I got one as we could zip down to the meadows or the settlement. Go out and see the Electric Water Pagent, get to the playgrounds and even go pick up food at PJ's. I highly recommend this mode of transportation. There are a lot of outside vendors who will work with you on delivery if Disney Prices are too high but you will not regret having a cart

6) If you have a Disney approved fire pit you can get wood at the meadows for $12 a bundle and it is enough for 1 nights burn. Publix is not carrying wood right now because it is considered out of season, Winn-dixie says they never carry wood

7) Do not fill all your days going to the parks, or if you do plan on just doing half days. You will want some days at Ft Wilderness, it is a relaxing place and driving your gold cart around to see the different camping sites is fun in it';s own right\. Even outside of Halloween and Christmas many many people decorate their sites.

8) They are doing a lot of various construction projects in and around the fort, be prepared for this

9) Enough people feel they do not need to wear a mask around the fort when walking around outside or doing other activities, most people are good but enough that if people not wearing masks makes you uneasy you will be uneasy, also do not use the pool if you are uneasy around people with out a face mask. The entire pool is a mask free zone

10) What is closed is boat rentals for lake, the campfire & sing-along, Hoop dee doo, both arcades and Trails End. Everything else is open and running.

Hope this helps you as you prepare for your upcoming trip.

Regarding transportation to MK, if you had driven, you would have had to park at the TTC and take the big ferry boat or monorail over to the entrance. I agree with driving my own vehicle to all parks except MK, I would take the bus from the Settlement Depot.

1) If you are staying in a cabin you do not want the 2700 or 2800 loop. Both are swampy in the middle of the loop and on the outside edges. Which leads to number 2

2) Mosquito's, don't let anyone fool you into thinking there are no bugs at Ft Wilderness, we had mosquito's and another biting type insect. We go a citronella candle but once dusk hit we were driven inside, I attribute it to being so close to the standing water

3) the Fort is busy, like there is a line for the main pool to get in on the weekends and the quiet pool was closed at times due to capacity.

4) The boat transportation is the not a good option unless you really just want to ride the boat, The bus is better due to speed but with reduced capacity on both you could be waiting awhile. We had a car and drove to HS, AK, EPCOT but took WDW transportation to MK, we should have drove.

5) Golf Cart, I am sure glad I got one as we could zip down to the meadows or the settlement. Go out and see the Electric Water Pagent, get to the playgrounds and even go pick up food at PJ's. I highly recommend this mode of transportation. There are a lot of outside vendors who will work with you on delivery if Disney Prices are too high but you will not regret having a cart

6) If you have a Disney approved fire pit you can get wood at the meadows for $12 a bundle and it is enough for 1 nights burn. Publix is not carrying wood right now because it is considered out of season, Winn-dixie says they never carry wood

7) Do not fill all your days going to the parks, or if you do plan on just doing half days. You will want some days at Ft Wilderness, it is a relaxing place and driving your gold cart around to see the different camping sites is fun in it';s own right\. Even outside of Halloween and Christmas many many people decorate their sites.

8) They are doing a lot of various construction projects in and around the fort, be prepared for this

9) Enough people feel they do not need to wear a mask around the fort when walking around outside or doing other activities, most people are good but enough that if people not wearing masks makes you uneasy you will be uneasy, also do not use the pool if you are uneasy around people with out a face mask. The entire pool is a mask free zone

10) What is closed is boat rentals for lake, the campfire & sing-along, Hoop dee doo, both arcades and Trails End. Everything else is open and running.

Thanks for sharing!!

1) 2700 and 2800 are popular at certain times of the year (close to the Outpost Depot). Swampy and mosquitos also describes a couple of the Full camping loops too.

2) Mosquitos in Florida - who knew? :confused3

3) Line for pool - due to covid rules

4) Boats to MK - limited capacity due to covid rules.

5) Golf carts - got one once when my elderly parents were travelling with me. And once for the golf cart Halloween parade. But if you can walk (or can bring bike) golf carts aren't really necessary in February. The bus lines run frequently. As I have said on here often, golf carts are an expensive convenience but not required.

6) Fire pits and wood - covid rules again. Normally there are fires at the campfire/movie singalong to roast marshmallows but covid rules prevent this. If you must have a campfire at your campsite then you should pick up some wood before you get to Orlando but within the general area (supply = demand).

7) Agreed. We do at LEAST one out-of-park day for every park day.

8) Construction down around Settlement Depot and the back side of 2000 area for the delayed/deferred DVC property that ran over the ol' River Country. Personally I hope it never happens but hey, that's just me .... And the Exercise Trail to Wilderness Lodge is in shambles.

9) Hard to swim in the pool with a mask. We were there in October 2020. Like here at my college baseball games - masks required unless you are actively eating or drinking (same as the park rules). At what point in and out of the pool is a mask worthwhile to the swimmer? At least we're outdoors though.

10) That's a good summary. I hope HDDR, TE, and the campfire singalong can come back soon.

Thanks for your update.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

1 & 2) I have stayed in 2800 twice, Oct and Nov, and did not find that at all so it probably depends on the time of year, especially when it rains a lot.

3) That's crazy that the quiet pool hits capacity, I have never seen more then I want to say 5 people there. Though I am sure with all that's going on that people are figuring they can spread out so it's being utilized a lot more than usual.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding transportation to MK, if you had driven, you would have had to park at the TTC and take the big ferry boat or monorail over to the entrance. I agree with driving my own vehicle to all parks except MK, I would take the bus from the Settlement Depot.

Swimming the lake would also be faster than driving.

During normal times I would agree that taking Disney transportation from Ft Wilderness to MK would be faster but when the they are running two boats and the first one that shows up takes 5 groups of people and you have to wait another 15 or 20 minutes for the next boat or you have two wait three busses before you are able to get on one, driving and taking the big ferry is probably faster until the reduced capacity seating is resolved.

Almost all of Fort Wilderness is built around swamps and canals. Mosquitos can fly quite a distance from their breeding site so it
is a pretty fair bet that they can invide the entire campground. We have found that there are times when we don't even see them, and at other times, they are a real annoyance.

Almost all of Fort Wilderness is built around swamps and canals. Mosquitos can fly quite a distance from their breeding site so it
is a pretty fair bet that they can invide the entire campground. We have found that there are times when we don't even see them, and at other times, they are a real annoyance.

And they do drive through and spray for the skeeters on the back of a pickup. I've seen that done a couple times.

Maybe the mosquitoes have n95 masks on and the spray isnt getting to them?

Mosquitoes might have mutations too...perhaps, developed immunity to the old spray?

In 2018 while visiting FW I was over visiting "friends" along the canal behind 300 loop and ran across this interesting thing.
IMAG0995a.jpg

IMAG0996.jpg

Not sure about the stuff in the tank. I mean, it kinda tasted like sweet tea, but with lemon added to it. After about 2 cups I finally decided it really tasted more like RC Cola.

And they do drive through and spray for the skeeters on the back of a pickup. I've seen that done a couple times.

Same here. Seen them before. Always wondered it that was intended to kill them, drive them away, or just fill them with self doubt about whether or not they were in the right campground.

Please! You know who I associate with. We are seen only when we wish to be seen.
View attachment 559762

Always chased.

Rarely caught.

Did you see that news story about the lady who ordered pizza and asked for contactless delivery so they left it on her porch, and her front door camera caught on film a squirrel coming onto the porch after the delivery guy left and just opened the box and took some pizza to eat.

It's not just the Fort, they are taking over the WHOLE WORLD LOL

Did you see that news story about the lady who ordered pizza and asked for contactless delivery so they left it on her porch, and her front door camera caught on film a squirrel coming onto the porch after the delivery guy left and just opened the box and took some pizza to eat.

It's not just the Fort, they are taking over the WHOLE WORLD LOL
This one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter