Soarin from Scotland to Mickey ;-D ~ June 2009

Yay!!!! :banana: I have made my first ADR!!!!!!

We have Whispering Canyon Cafe for 12.15 on our first full day. I have also phoned the bike barn and checked that offsite guests can rent a surrey bike and so thats all good. It feels closer now plans are taking shape!

I may require a bit of help - or should i say sneakiness!

DH and I have decided that we would definitely like to book California Grill for everyone as a surprise. The only thing is how do we get them all to the Contemporary Hotel dressed up? And ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Take into account that noone in our party knows much about Disney - they leave that to me so the actual logistics of the fib don't matter.

Fort example - my idea......

I was going to tell them that I had booked a lovely meal at the BoardWalk so they needed to dress up a bit and that I thought it would be fun for the girls if we park at the Contemporary and get the boat. That way we might catch the electrical water pageant on the way home. Now I know thats impossible but they don't!

Any clues?

Running wise I am doing OK - been out another few times but struggled as I have not felt great last week. i had no energy - very lethargic (think it was a wee bug as the girls were not great either) so running was quite tough. Not that I go far and don't exactly travel at the speed of light! I did feel a bit dizzy though.

I have been for a thyroid blood test as I have a huge lump on my thyroid gland which I have had tested and biopsied in the past. It was benign but I feel it might have to come off this time. Hoping to get it done (if it needs done) before the trip. Get the test results on Thursday or Friday so will know more then. I certainly have some of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid so keeping fingers crossed that it is treatable with drugs not surgery!!

In other planning I have started shopping. Have some super cute outfits for the girls to wear. I am holding off on my stuff till I see if I can get into a smaller size!!!!

Anyway - take care and get thinking of some outlandish stories for me to feed my family to keep my secret!
Lx

Oh, I wish I could think of a good story. All I could think of was one of the photo ops they do. Not sure if they do it at the Contemporary, but I know the Grand Flordian does. Your idea sounds good.

That is fantastic about WCC. We plan on going for our trip in July, just can't book ADR's yet.:sad2:

Hope you are able to take care of the thyroid problem with medicine and avoid surgery.

Fantastic about running, sorry to hear you haven't felt well though. I understand. Spent January and February feeling under the weather.

Not long before your trip!

Would be great to catch up for lunch or something when we are over if you are going to be around WDW?

Instead of saying the Boardwalk, you could say you have a nice meal planned at one of the fancier restaurants at the GF and that's why they need to dress up and that's why you're parking at the Contemporary to "ride the boat over to the GF for fun". And then when you get to the Contemporary, tell them that you want to go up to the observation deck outside the Cali Grill to "take pictures of the view because they let you do that now" and then when you arrive on the Cali Grill floor then you can tell them the surprise!

I was thinking that same thing as everyone else... the photo in dress up clothes. I know you don't have to be super fancy for the Cali Grill. When we went it was EMH at MK and we went over after dinner and walked around and then got some really fun photopass pictures with the castle lit up in different colors. It was nice in to be in dress clothes for some of of our photopass pictures. I suspect that the hours will be late when you are there even without the EMH.
OR... you could just say you have a surprise for everyone and they have to be dressed up for it... lead them on a guessing game with clues so they can figure it out??? That could be fun too. ;)

I was thinking that same thing as everyone else... the photo in dress up clothes. I know you don't have to be super fancy for the Cali Grill. When we went it was EMH at MK and we went over after dinner and walked around and then got some really fun photopass pictures with the castle lit up in different colors. It was nice in to be in dress clothes for some of of our photopass pictures. I suspect that the hours will be late when you are there even without the EMH.
OR... you could just say you have a surprise for everyone and they have to be dressed up for it... lead them on a guessing game with clues so they can figure it out??? That could be fun too. ;)

This made me think of a scavenger hunt. Make up little clues in envelopes or something like that.

I would be careful what you say you are doing, because I've heard of people getting upset when they are excited about doing something and end up with something else. I love the idea of a surprise, although I have no idea what to tell them! I surprised my nephew with a breakfast at Chef Mickey's and just told him I always wanted to see the Contemporary and the GF and wanted to take some pictures. He had no problem with that. Then I just wandered into the line and he asked me "Tina, why are we here?" I ignored him and he repeated his question, getting all excited when he realized what was up! It was my favorite memory of our trip. Hopefully you'll be able to pull something great off!

Thats the only thing isn't it. I don't want to tell the girls about the boat as they will be miffed if we don't go on one!!!

Planning a surprise is too hard!!!

Thats the only thing isn't it. I don't want to tell the girls about the boat as they will be miffed if we don't go on one!!!

Planning a surprise is too hard!!!

How about, just tell them to dress nice because you guys are doing a photo pass thing on the "observation deck outside the Cali Grill because it has an amazing view of the MK" and then when you get to the Cali Grill level tell them the surprise!

How about, just tell them to dress nice because you guys are doing a photo pass thing on the "observation deck outside the Cali Grill because it has an amazing view of the MK" and then when you get to the Cali Grill level tell them the surprise!

That's a great idea!

That would be a fantastic idea but what my Mum does know for sure is that I hate getting my pics taken and avoid photopass photographers and never get the CD done. Not sure she would buy it. She doesn't know Disney but she does know me!!!!!

What about teling her the boat story but saying it is a surprise for the girls so not to tell them. Then the kids won't get excited about a boat trip that is not going to happen. And Mum and Dad won't mind at all about missing out on that.

tricky!!!

Well just been on the phone to make another ADR and the wait is 25 minutes! From the UK that is one expensive wait! Will try tomorrow!

That would be a fantastic idea but what my Mum does know for sure is that I hate getting my pics taken and avoid photopass photographers and never get the CD done. Not sure she would buy it. She doesn't know Disney but she does know me!!!!!

What about teling her the boat story but saying it is a surprise for the girls so not to tell them. Then the kids won't get excited about a boat trip that is not going to happen. And Mum and Dad won't mind at all about missing out on that.

tricky!!!

Well just been on the phone to make another ADR and the wait is 25 minutes! From the UK that is one expensive wait! Will try tomorrow!
We've never done a photopass either.

Good luck with the phone waits!

Hey! I haven't checked in with you in a while...how are your plans coming...mine feel so out of wack this year! I feel like I am forgetting something! Oh well, my 60 day countdown starts in just a few days! :banana::banana::banana:

My poor little Pre-trippie. I have seriously neglected it! Sorry!

I have loads and loads to update! Been a busy bee getting plans made. Can't wait to share it all with you all.

I am sitting here watching the 11th season finale of Americas Next Top Model so multi-tasking (I know we are months behind you guys so don't tell who wins!;) - personally I like Annelie but the one I like never wins!!!

Firstly I think I mentioned on here that I was seeing a consultant about a lump on my thyroid gland. Well I saw the consultant tonight and have been told that he is almost 100% sure that it is nothing to worry about. They are going to do an ultrasound to double check and if there is anything abnormal do a biopsy but I feel much relief at the outcome of today. I had a real fear I would get bad news.

(ah I told you! Annelie has just been eliminated! I'm a bad luck charm!)

So with all that stress behind me I can concentrate on my disney plans!

Our ADRs are complete!!!

Bear in mind we are staying off site and are not on the Dining Plan.

We have booked:

Day 1 (25th June) - Whispering Canyon Cafe for lunch

Day 5 (29th June) - California Grill for dinner

Day 7 (1st July) - 1900 Park Fayre breakfast

Day 9 (3rd July) - California Grill for dinner

Day 14 (8th July) - Crystal Palace for dinner (our last night)

So that's it. We have booked the California Grill twice as we are not sure about when they will be running the preview of the 4th July fireworks and thought it would be great to see them from up there. It will be a surprise - I told Mum that we are going to the Boardwalk for dinner on the boat but not to tell the girls as its a surprise for them as we might catch the electrical water pageant on the way home!!!!!! She said "that's a great idea - sounds good get it booked!!! I knew she would fall for it. They trust my implicitly when it comes to Disney stuff. Good job eh?

Katie is looking forward to the 1900 Park Fayre breakfast as she is Mary Poppins daft (or Maryam Poppins as she calls her!). We wanted to try something we hadn't done before - we were planning to do Chef Mickeys for breakfast but we have done that on every trip so far so time for a wee change.

All other meals we will wing it and see what we fancy at the time. We have a few places we like to eat offsite. I am sure we will be visiting the Outback (a real favourite), Bahama Breeze and a few others. Maybe the Golden Corrall :-)rolleyes:). We will also eat a lot in our villa. We find the portion size in the States huge and struggle to eat out for even 2 meals a day. We would burst!!! I also plan to take some chopped up fruit and other snacks with us. Last time my Dad had a constant supply on gummi bears in his pocket and Emma was constantly dipping in! Not too good for her so trying to ban him from having them in a place she can reach this year. He is gummi bear daft so I don't like my chances. When we got back last year some of her shorts didn't fit!!!! Took her a few weeks of running around with her friends to fit them again!!!!!! A real sign of too many sweeties!!!

The other plan we have put into action is for autographs. We have decided to repeat something that we did 2 trips ago for autographs. I got record cards which are the size of a photograph and printed each one with a little picture (clip art) of a character and on the bottom of each I will put "Emma and Katie's Trip to Walt Disney World 2009". Te problem is making sure you have one for each character you might encounter. In my next update I'll list the ones we have thought of and you can add any I have missed!

In the meantime I have 4 days of my Easter holiday left. Not being at work is a dream - I was needing a break from the pressure of work. The girls are off school and playgroup so we have enjoyed a week and a bit with Daddy at home. Sadly he goes back to work tomorrow so its just the 3 of us. We will probably take my Mum with us and visit a big craft shop near us. I make some jewelery as a hobby and need some bits and bobs. Emma looking for bracelets to match her holiday outfits :-)rolleyes:) so need to stock up a bit.

I'll leave you with a few up to date pics from our Easter holidays.
Hope you are all well

My 2 girls at a local safari park - its nothing like AK!!!!!!
DSCF0367.jpg

What are you looking at?
DSCF0406.jpg

The wrinkliest elephant in the world.
DSCF0447.jpg

Emma at the Pineapple House. You can just see the top of the pineapple in the background!
DSCF0329.jpg

Katie at the Pineapple House.
DSCF0309.jpg

Glad you were able to make your ADR's. I was telling a friend about the wait times to make ADR's and how you were calling from overseas.

I like the idea of California Grill on July 4th, you won't want to be in the park.

Love the pics. The Meerkat is so cute and I just love that wrinkly old elephant. I love elephants!

The girls looked so cute. What is the pineapple house?

hehe The Pineapple House is near us and its a lovely place to go for a walk through the woods. It was built in about 1760 something by a man who later became to Governor of Virginia. Its a lovely building and the girls are fascinated by it. Katie wanted to go in but you can't. I think it is now rented out as holidays accommodation - at least it used be. But the grounds are open to the public to walk in. Here it is...

DSCF0300.jpg

I LOVE how you put your Scottish rogue into your updates! "wee" love it!!!
See, I'm the exact opposite of you and your thinking of gummy bears. I love them too and then I think that they are lower in fat than chocolate, PLUS they have gelatin in them which helps your nails grow!! Soooo, then they are a health benefit, right??:laughing: My favorite are the Harabo, from Germany. It's funny, because I can buy them at Wal-Mart in the US for $.97, but when I go to Mexico they are like $3-4 for the same size bag! I'm thinking it has something to do with import taxes, maybe????
Congrats on making your ADR's!! There's something about making them that makes the trip seem real. We're staying on property, and we're not doing the dining plan either. Can't fathom spending that kind of money on food. We plan on eating at Crystal Palace and Tony's Town Square.
I absolutely enjoy looking at old architecture! The Pineapple House looks SO cool!! And the grounds look beautiful and so GREEN! Love the little boots that Katie was wearing.
Enjoy the rest of your break. Mine ends today :woohoo: ba bye kids, have a nice day at school tomorrow!!!

I am enjoying your Scottish way of speaking in your PTR too! It's fun to hear the way you refer to things! :goodvibes
That Pineapple House is most unusual, especially that sort of architectural detail in the late 1700's... wonder why he wanted a pineapple on his roof? ;)
I agree with you about portion size here in the states... huge! We end up splitting a lot of dinners, but maybe not the desserts! :rotfl:
The green in your photos is wonderful! The trees are finally getting that lime green color here and the flowering trees are all beautiful, still pretty chilly though, it's been below average temps here lately.
Your ADR's will be great fun, can't wait to hear about the California Grill surprise when you do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter