So with respect to splurging, where do you draw the line?

Our Splurges:
Staying onsite
Memory Maker.........LOVE this!!
A couple of character meals
Rental Car..........surprisingly not too expensive since most people use DME and don't rent cars ......... very convenient if you like to park hop or eat at restaurants inside other resorts.

Where we save money/time:
Order water, sodas, breakfast items from Garden Grocer........kids and DH eat while I get ready in the morning, no one is "starving" when we get to the first park. A case of water for $7 will save you a ton of money if you take bottles into the parks with you every day!

Kids always wanted to buy a toy to bring home.........they love Legos.....we would give them a $50 limit and tell them they could buy anything they wanted in Downtown Disney. We would go to the Lego store first and they would spend all their money. We would come home with Lego sets that we knew they would enjoy instead of a Disney toy that would be forgotten about right after we got home!

We like deluxe but frankly I wouldn't pay rack rate for it so we bought DVC. I like signature meals and would rather eat out less and eat where and what we want than eat out more on a budget DVC kitchen means we can do hot dogs, frozen Pizza sometimes. I love spa days. We like to fly premium, business of we can swing it and we like a hire car. We like the mini golf and water parks.

We skip concierge, dinner shows and parties, we no longer spend much on souvenirs, dining plans or eating out every day, Afternoon tea and dessert parties, guided tours, luggage fees, we pack light and I do laundry, if really necessary I could skip park tickets

Splurges:

Staying on-site, moderate resorts
Park Hopper - although given the relatively low cost, it doesn't feel like a splurge to me - it feels like a way to get more flexibility out of the money I'm already spending.
Table service meals, including some signatures. Granted, we've paid for the DDP once and are doing 'free' dining this fall. If I was paying OOP I would do less table service, and most likely pass on the signatures.
We fly rather than drive
Longer stays

Where I don't spend:

Souvenirs - Most of the stuff at WDW doesn't really appeal to me, and often the price is way too high for the quality.
Dessert parties
Haven't done a tour yet, although I would like to
Deluxe resorts - $200ish per night is pretty much my upper limit, and I only do that at WDW. As much as I'd like to stay Deluxe the prices are nauseating.

I'm somewhat spoiled as it's only my partner and I traveling - no children. I only have to worry about paying for myself. If we had a few kids in tow the above list would look radically different. :)

I don't really base my choices of what I do at WDW on price. There may be things I can't afford "now", or things I'm not interested in doing "this trip", but I would never count an experience out based solely on cost. For example, I have been to Victoria & Albert's. Several times. Including the chef's table. It's totally worth the price tag. But we're not doing it this trip, mainly because I don't expect there to be time. I've never done concierge level, and I don't see how it would benefit my family that much, but I'd like to try it someday regardless to see what the fuss is about. I buy souvenirs that I like and that I think are worth the price in that moment. I don't see much point in skipping out on an experience in order to save money. If I cared that much about money I wouldn't bother traveling at all. Instead, I work so I can travel (something I've told my co-workers on numerous occasions).

One thing I probably wouldn't do is any of the fireworks watching boat charters. I grew up on boats. I've seen fireworks from boats. Meh. I'd rather be close to the action.

Things that I do not consider to be a splurge:
Flying (too far to drive, IMO)
Staying onsite
TS meals

Splurges for my upcoming trip:
AKV club level studio
F&W Premium Package
Memory Maker
Rental Car
Upgrade to an AP
Party Tickets

Splurges that I considered but haven't booked:
KTTK Tour
Tickets to Blue Man Group

Splurges I wouldn't consider:
Eat to the Beat Dining Package
Spa Experiences
Dining Plans

Victoria & Albert's is where we draw the line. Expensive dining is one thing, spending an amount at one meal that equals close to a full month's worth of groceries?
I'm out.

I've done it and it's not worth it.

Things we splurge on:

Pins
Hoppers
A few TS meals per trip
Town car service from airport to hotel
Frequent shorter trips
Annual Pass

Things we skip:

Staying onsite (can't justify the expense for never being at the resort)
Signature dining
BBB/Pirates League
Tea parties
Dessert parties
Long trips (we like to leave on a high with a desire to come back. Not exhausted and worn out/Disney'ed out)
Dining Plan
Memory Maker

Things I'd like to do:

Special tour (KTTK)

I have to admit, when it comes to my WDW trips the line gets pretty fuzzy! The entire experience is a big splurge for me.

Splurges:

Deluxe resort
Hoppers
Deluxe Dining
Longer Trip (usually 10 days)
Tours
Dessert Party
Memory Maker
Rental Car

Can't be bothered with:

Upgraded view - I'm good with standard or maybe garden view at most
Club Level
Spa

Splurges we go for:
  • Park tickets for only one or two days at Disney -- price per day is quite high
  • Parks other than Disney -- we usually do one or two days at SeaWorld too
  • One table service meal per trip -- last time I did Café Tu Tu Tango offsite instead of a Disney table service for my one splurge meal -- great place. (I treat the entire extended family -- usually a group of 10 or more so it costs me a bit)
  • We always fly (usually free though with frequent flyer miles)
  • Rental car for transportation whenever we want wherever we want
  • Tennis court rental for resort days -- usually two per trip for us -- normally our condo resort has free tennis, but it not we rent a court at the Grand Floridian
  • Rental of the little power speed boats usually from the Polynesian
  • One Mickey Bar every trip
  • A beach day in Clearwater (day trip)
  • frequent trips (39 since 1971) -- almost one trip or mini trip annually
  • Other vacations -- Disney is never ever our only vacation trip or our main vacation trip -- it's usually a budget add on trip on the cheap

Splurges we skip:

• Staying onsite -- too hard for me to do with such great deals on offsite condos (If it's a freebie stay because of a Conference at the Contemporary hotel that's another story - four of those freebie stays to date for me --each for four nights)
  • Dessert or tea parties
  • Waterparks -- Everyone has just as much fun at the swimming pool
  • Shopping -- Never go to downtown Disney or any other shopping area
  • Universal in general -- of course I did do one day one trip to see the cool HP stuff, but once is good.
  • Blue Man Group -- did this once in Orlando -- did this once in Vegas too
  • La Nouba -- did this once as DH likes Cirque (I'm not a Cirque fan, though)
  • Fatasmic Package -- did this one and only one time
  • MK parties -- did this once MVMCP -- too crowded
  • Hoop de Doo and Polynesian Luau -- OK - I admit I have done these before too, but wouldn't again
  • Merchandise (DS who is 20 and has his own money, though, does sometimes get things -- last trip he got a Mickey IPhone case -- very cute, and he is a photographer and bought a Mickey camera strap)
  • Spa treatments (I even give away spa gift certificates people have given me as gifts)
  • Dress-up type experiences (BBB, Pirates League, etc.)
  • Guided tours -- They look wonderful, but the price keeps me from booking / (just can't spend the money and book)
  • We often bring our own food into the park (Disney as they allow it -- sandwiches, fruit, cheese cracker snacks, and some juice boxes)
  • We always have a kitchen -- do all breakfasts in, two lunches in, and two dinners in on most week long trips with six days
  • Hoopers
  • Our own condo -- We bunk up with extended family -- usually eight or ten per unit -- lots of fun
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Anything outside of water at restaurants
  • Discovery Cove
  • Mini Golf

My god, that sounds like an absolutely miserable trip. I thought the point of vacation was to relax and enjoy the trip.

For me I can't really make a list of what I "splurge" on per trip because my budget for every trip my wife and I take changes.

On our first trip our splurge was to stay for 9 days.
On our second trip our splurge was just going in general even though she had no idea the purpose of the trip was for me to propose to her.
On our 3rd trip we had to stay off site because we went with her entire family. They did 4 day park hopper tickets so our splurge was to do 5 day park hoppers and have a nice dinner at Le Cellier.
And our most recent trip which was also our honeymoon there were a number of different splurges. We stayed at a deluxe resort for the first time (CR) and we booked more table service meals than what our dining plan covered. We also booked the Wild Africa Trek at AK which I have to say was absolutely amazing.

Our next trip won't be for at least another 4 years because we have our first child due in February :-) so I think that our splurges will change for sure. Like instead of staying moderate we will drop to value most likely so ill find some thing else to spurge on.

Either way I think we all can agree that we wall have something that we like to do that's a little extra that makes our trips that much more special to us.

Hmmm let's see...

Splurges:
DDP (even if not free)
Stay onsite (usually a MOD)
Parties (MVMCP or MNSSHP, depending on time of year)
Dessert parties (sometimes)
Hoppers (can't imagine going without it)
Alcohol (nuff said)
Shopping (we aren't big shoppers but everyone gets shopping money so that if they see something they want, they can get it, within reason of course)
Dinner shows (usually one per trip)

Things we skip:
DxDDP (although I'd love to)
Deluxe resorts (although I'd love to stay there)
Signatures (although again, I'd love to at some point)
BBB/Pirates League
Cirque (again, someday)
Mini golf/movies/rentals, etc.

Each trip we splurge on some new experience that we haven't done before. On our next trip it will be 1) two nights at the Contemporary Resort, 2) the Epcot Seas Aqua Tour (snorkeling in the Epcot tanks), 3) a 3-day Disney cruise, 4) dinner at Be Our Guest.

We try to do something new on each visit.

Things we've splurged on in the past:
My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party
Wonderland Tea Party
Pirate Adventure Cruise
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom
La Nouba (Cirque du Soleil)
Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
Cinderella's Royal Table
Candlelight Processional/Dinner Package

What I won't splurge on....hmmmm....I'm not a big shopper. We don't break the bank on souvenirs.

Last edited:
I can't even call staying onsite a splurge - we have always stayed value with a discount; maybe someday we'll stay Mod.

What we do splurge on:
BBB
Parties
Dessert events
yearly trips
Year-specific ornaments
1 special ADR

What we skip:
Deluxe hotels
additional paid experiences

Most of our trips include me, DH, DD,DSIL, and 2 DGS

Skips:
On site resorts - vacation rentals all the way where we get 4 or more bedrooms, private pool, etc, for the price of a moderate. Don't get me wrong...I would LOVE to stay on site just once.
Dessert parties - sound really cool but those prices are absolutely insane
Other pricy tours or experiences
Eating out. We actually enjoy breakfast in our vacation homes as kids can hop in and out of pool while we prepare it or linger over coffee. We pack lunches for the water park, sometimes for the parks, and often eat dinner in, as well. It seems very different from cooking at home, somehow!

Splurges:
MNSSHP or MVMCP
Water parks + as our grandchildren love them and we happily use every extra on our tickets!
Memory Maker - once. Got some awesome pictures and loved the videos. Maybe not again
A Crystal Palace lunch has become almost a tradition.
We put a couple dollars in a bank every payday and that takes care of an ice cream or other snack for everybody, every single day of our trip
A Christmas ornament for each household
Something for the Duffy Bears, who still travel with us
Park hoppers for the first time ever this year, we'll see how that goes....
A new pair of Disney earrings...but not from the 10k gold collections

My god, that sounds like an absolutely miserable trip. I thought the point of vacation was to relax and enjoy the trip.

I guess it's about mindset and expectations. We get together almost annually with extended family and do Orlando on the cheap, sort of take pride in that, and it's turned into a family tradition -- We've been coming down since 1971. I think that a big part of it is the whole extended family getting together that makes it so much fun, and doing it on the cheap then caters to everyone's budget.

Splurges:
Flying rather than driving (i do consider this a splurge considering how much airfare can cost!)
Staying on site, moderate level
TS restaurants, char meals, and shows (HDDR)
Holiday Parties
On-site Deluxe at Universal
Pins

What I WISH I could splurge on:
A Deluxe Resort (especially WL and BC)
signature restaurants
V&A

Where I draw the line-
park hoppers
WP&M option
Tours
Dessert Parties (this was once on my list of things to do, but the recent cost increases have turned me off)
club level

I can't think of anything at Disney we would never do, but here's our list as of now:

Splurge
Stay on site (mod or deluxe. Not a fan of double beds)
Annual passes
Parties (MNSSHP, MVMCP, but not a must do)

Occassional splurge
Dining plans (depends on trip)

Skip
Photo pass (only get occassionally)
Club level - don't see it as something we'll look for
Rooms with a view, but that may change in the future :)
Water parks - may eventually try?
Alcohol
Dinner shows

Wish I could skip
Multiple souvineirs. We go multiple times a year and this so adds up. One day we'll be down to one souvineir per trip. lol.

Splurges:
Staying on property mod or deluxe
rental car sometimes
eating what we want, when we want (though this is more a diet splurge than financial)
tours/Illuminations cruise
park hoppers

Skips:
waterparks
alcohol (we aren't drinkers anyway, so we save $)
Memory Maker when we go just DH and me

Splurge I would do if we had a boatload of $:
The new over water bungalow at Poly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter