So... what jobs, if any, still get a holiday bonus?

Hmmmm. I guess my company was wrong when they called it a Christmas bonus. But I guess you know more about this than I actually do, me working there and all. :rolleyes

Anyway, who cares if it doesn't meet the official criteria of what a Christmas bonus should be. It was what the company called it. I got stock options for what they called performance bonuses.
Confused.:confused3 your post specifically mentions that you receive your bonus in February but they still call it a Christmas bonus??? Kinda late for Christmas if you ask me.

Oil and Gas bonuses are typically tied to performance of the individual and the company, as you mentioned. Do you consider it a gift? Most pay for performance bonuses are clearly spelled out during the hiring process.

Just to make sure I am getting this straight, your company calls your stock options performance pay, but the check you receive in FEBRUARY is a Christmas bonus, but that CHRISTMAS bonus is also tied to company and individual performance.:confused3:confused3

My very first job, back in the early 80s, I got a week's salary. That was nice!

Today, we get a holiday party for our families and a $25 gift card to a local grocery superstore that sells everything.

Yes. The severance packages can be amazing. My last job, my boss got 2X his annual salary for a severance package, when he was laid off. I bet it was high $300,000's. He just got another job the next week at another oil company. I would have gotten 5 months, but they outsourced me to another company. So I got nothing. There is tons of money in the industry up here, but it is a volatile industry. Lots of ups and downs.

That same cousin got let go after 6 months on one job, got a years pay and got to keep the brand new company car they gave him.

Of course, his brother, my other cousin decided to go independent, and when things went down, he was $4 million in the hole. He's took a job in Siberia, and now is in China working to earn enough to pay off that debt.

Housekeepers/nannies where I live get a Christmas bonus, usually the same amount as their monthly salary.

No one gets a six figure Christmas bonus, I am sure that is a performance bonus. This is why companies should refrain from giving performance Aly around the holidays. I EARN my bonus and is part of my total compensation and is thus included on my w-2.

Again, that is not a Christmas bonus, which is a GIFT that you didn't have to earn.
actually not likely that a large company would give a CHRISTMAS bonus. CEOs have Very clear measures that they must hit in order to EARN their performance bonus.

I quickly learned to hate bosses who hand out performance checks at the holidays. My first year working in my professional career the hiring partner made it very clear what the expectations were for EARNING the annual bonus. I met all the targets and was pissed when he walked around with a Santa hat and handed
my EARNED check as if it was some sort of gift onChristmas Eve. That check was not a GIFT!

My current firm gives performance bonuses inOctober which is perfectly timed since it is early enough to plan put my Christmas shopping. Depending on my performance rating and the company's performance my checks can be significant.

As far a Christmas bonus , I did receive a bottle of wine and a $100 Amazon gift card. I similarly bought small gifts for my staff.

I agree with this. If your bonus is tied to either your or the company's performance (or if it's contractually guaranteed), then it's a performance or merit bonus, no matter when you receive it. I see Christmas bonuses as something that everyone gets, usually a standard amount or item.

Our performance bonuses are paid in October. We don't receive anything monetary for Christmas, but the Company shuts down from Christmas Eve through Jan 2 ( everyone is salaried so are fully paid) and we have several parties/cocktail hours with food/ open bar etc.

Not nurses, not teachers, not policemen, not firefighters. The people who probably deserve it the most!

My brother works in advertising, and his Christmas bonus is more than my annual salary as a public school teacher.

Just sayin'............

Sorry, why do nurses, teachers, policeman and firemen 'deserve if more'? There are a lot of jobs that are difficult, demanding, dangerous etc. Lots of people work hard at their jobs. Just curious as to how we determine which jobs are the 'most deserving'?

Not nursing, that's for sure. Sometimes a supervisor would bring in a turkey for a pot luck, not monetary bonus.

Depends upon where you work. The nurses that work for the multi specialty clinic I work for, get a nice Christmas bonus.

When I worked for a toy company, each employee received 4 free toys of their choosing!

I work for a bank now, and our boss pays for a really great Christmas party.

I work for a church. The pastor takes all of us out for lunch at a mom and pop diner sort of place. Plus it was decided last year staff doesnt' need to bring a contribution to the annual Christmas potluck. That's our bonus "from the congregation". :rotfl2:

DH works IT for a nonprofit. No bonus there, though he did get chosen to take home the cheese and cracker basket a vendor sent to woo them to buy their product. :thumbsup2

I work for a health care company, we get a free buffet lunch in the church rec room next door and a promotional item with the company logo on it. I've switched departments quite a few times in this company and some management people would give out GCs or wine to their staff. Now I work in a horrid department where I think they would give us coal if they could because mgmt seems to hate all the workers.

I am on disability, so obviously nothinig.;)

DH is senior management for a major airline. Since they finally had a record breaking year, they got 30% of their annual salary bonuses. I received a lovely delivery from edible arrangement, and a 500$ prepaid Visa.

I work part time so no bonus. My DH works for an employee owned company and gets profit sharing.

I work for a church. The pastor takes all of us out for lunch at a mom and pop diner sort of place. Plus it was decided last year staff doesnt' need to bring a contribution to the annual Christmas potluck. That's our bonus "from the congregation". :rotfl2:

DH works IT for a nonprofit. No bonus there, though he did get chosen to take home the cheese and cracker basket a vendor sent to woo them to buy their product. :thumbsup2

These are DH' and I's jobs, exactly - me at a church and he's in IT for a nonprofit. We both got small cash gifts, but our big Christmas 'gift' is that our offices are closed between Christmas and New Year's.

My manager gives out little presents (Disney Hallmarrk ornaments), but not this year.

The company hasn't given out a bonus in 10 years.

I get nothing since I work for the government (however, the managers got a bottle of wine from the Board members). My daughter, the McD's manager got a 1 lb box of Sees and $150

I work for a large mattress retailer, and we got a bonus. My company treats its employees very well.

Dh is an engineer for the LIRR, does not get a bonus.

I work for a dentist who brings in over a million a year and he gave each of his 12 employees (there are 13, he forgot one) a $25 gift card to Target.....and I held the Christmas party at my house so he paid nothing there:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter