So done with Costco Travel!

Travel agents are actually still getting paid for the first set of PIF cruises (which was a great concession by the cruise lines to keep TAs afloat). Costco isn't perfect, but they are one of the easiest and most cost effective for me. They are sadly at the mercy of the cruise lines for refunds (Costco Just acts as a passthrough).

It is nice! Costco did ask for me and my request was honored! DCL is not honoring for everyone, and especially if you do not mention it, as has been for my family and friends. Costco IS my agent so I HAD to use them in this case, AND I am very happy with my rebooking results!

If you read my entire post you would see that I have also requested a refund for a different and earlier cruise, and as for me, Costco has done everthing they can for me! The agent even called again yesterday to look into my refund request! I mean really, the cruiselines have to send the refund??!!! Many of us are waiting- all that any agent can do for me is request a refund, and my agent has done that numerous times. I need the cruiseline to refund my thousands of dollars!! LOL. And actually Costco even sent us our Cash Card for the canceled cruise to boot!! Not much more I personally can ask of them. Sorry if you ha e had a different experience!

I didn't get a cash card from Costco for my cancelled cruise at the end of March. I think you were lucky.

DCL's policy is to move the placeholder unless it is a blackout period, which was my issue. Maybe that's why your family didn't get it. If it's not a blackout period they should be able to go back and get the discount added.

I for one had to spend 2 hours on the phone with Costco to get everything rebooked for me. They didn't ask DCL everything that I requested they do the first time so they had to call DCL again and wait 40 minutes for DCL. It was a real pain that I couldn't talk to DCL directly and had to hear what they said secondhand. It's not worth the cash card to me. I won't be using them in the future.

LOL...if that’s true that makes me even more disappointed with Costco, because they didn’t send me a cash card after DCL cancelled my cruise, and I haven’t heard about them doing that for anyone else.
LOL all you want- cuz it is true!
yes- lucky me!! I was probably the next cruise in line after cruising was canceled (that was not lucky me, we were on the way to the ship already!) I am sure it happened automatically - just my luck - yup I guess you can be " more upset " at Costco ! Not me ! We lost plenty with being en route across the country to a cruise that gave us one day cancelation notice.....

I did finally have someone call me back after 1-1/2 hours and he called DCL directly to cancel, as they should have done a month ago. The agents I’ve dealt with are usually helpful and pleasant, but for me it’s just not worth the headache of adding in a middleman anymore. I waited for hours to book a cruise on opening day a few months ago and was not happy about that so I was already considering dropping them. It is a bummer to give up the shop card though so I totally get why people use them.

That in itself is terrible. Time to change to a real TA. Nothing against Costco or Expedia, Orbitz, etc. but they are all companies where you don't get personalized service. A TA should be helping you. Making your life easier. Making you glad you have a TA.

My TA works for a large travel/cruise agency which I probably can't mention here but we have been on a first name basis for years. When DCL is about to release new dates and I want her to book something first day of release (aka: the feeding frenzy) , she almost always has a placeholder for me so I text or email her the day before explaining what we want, which cabins, 1st choice, 2nd choice, etc and have her move our placeholder to it. She keeps my credit card # on file and handles it all so I don't have to. Usually by the time I get home from work, I have email confirmation for what we asked for. Sometimes I'll get a text during the day saying our cabin choice is sold out; is ____ ok? She also gives a great OBC and because we've been booking with her since 2008, very often she sends an onboard gift like a bottle of wine or Hidden Mickey flowers.

Sometimes we talk on the phone so long about cruising, I feel like I'm talking to a friend and start to forget she working.

Time to change to a real TA. Nothing against Costco or Expedia, Orbitz, etc. but they are all companies where you don't get personalized service. A TA should be helping you. Making your life easier. Making you glad you have a TA.
Costco is a real travel agency and I am very glad I use them as I have gotten thousands of dollars back over the years of booking our cruises with them. For me, that is more valuable than having an agent to chat casually about cruises with. I don't need or want that. If I were that chummy with an agent, I'd feel guilty about cancelling or making a lot of changes to a cruise, and I never have to feel that way with Costco because the phone reps are personally unattached to my booking, though of course they are still courteous and professional.

Others can have different preferences in a TA, and that's fine, but there is no need for those people who choose other types of agencies to bash Costco. As you can see from this thread, most people who book via Costco are happy with them.

I have also seen threads & posts by people who's personal T.A.'s from traditional travel agencies ignore them or don't properly fulfill their basic requests, so having a personal T.A. is no guarantee of a good experience.

Costco is a real travel agency and I am very glad I use them as I have gotten thousands of dollars back over the years of booking our cruises with them. For me, that is more valuable than having an agent to chat casually about cruises with. I don't need or want that. If I were that chummy with an agent, I'd feel guilty about cancelling or making a lot of changes to a cruise, and I never have to feel that way with Costco because the phone reps are personally unattached to my booking, though of course they are still courteous and professional.

Others can have different preferences in a TA, and that's fine, but there is no need for those people who choose other types of agencies to bash Costco. As you can see from this thread, most people who book via Costco are happy with them.

I have also seen threads & posts by people who's personal T.A.'s from traditional travel agencies ignore them or don't properly fulfill their basic requests, so having a personal T.A. is no guarantee of a good experience.

Of course, no TA is a guarantee of good service and I don't keep her because we're chummy. I have friends for that, thanks.

I was replying to the poster who said she was on hold for hours waiting to book her cruise. To me, that is ridiculous service and it's not required in order to get the perks of using a TA (gift card, OBC, etc.). I have also gotten thousands in OBC from my TA over the years without ever sitting on hold for hours. Ever.

My point is, there are plenty of fish in the sea. Once you experience a really good TA, you won't want to go back to the generic type with a call center and waiting on hold for some random agent. Unless of course you just enjoy being on hold for hours and in that case try Orbitz, they're even better at it.:thumbsup2

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter