So confused...

Goseethemouse

Mouseketeer
We have been to WDW plenty of times but not the last couple of years and all the new changes are confusing me no end. I am thinking of possibly going to Orlando the last week of May/first of June and would probably get a two/three or four day pass. I will be staying offsite during this time but it is a solo trip so there would be no issue making rope drop etc.

It would be great if someone could give me some tips as to what has changed - what new rides/attractions have been added and what has changed as far as touring strategy. I have read up a bit but not sure if I am missing stuff and it is a bit confusing. Any help appreciated!

What year was your last visit? I know you mentioned a couple, but knowing the exact timeframe may help us in narrowing down some things.

What year was your last visit? I know you mentioned a couple, but knowing the exact timeframe may help us in narrowing down some things.
Glad you asked. I just noticed that my signature isn't updated at all. The last trip was 2018 so a while ago but not forever.

I know others will jump in with lots of info, but off the topic of my head:

1. No MDE or dining plans
2. Remy, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Tron are new
3. Genie+ replaced Fast Pass. You may purchase it only on the day of the park visit. The timing of purchase depends on if you are offsite or onsite. Don't confuse plus with just the "genie" in MDE. That's just a free itinerary planner. Genie+ allows you to schedule rides, but with tons of requirements and restrictions. See the sticky thread that has TONS of info.
4. Individual Lightning Lane (ILL) are purchased for specific rides to guarantee a ride and a time.
5. There is also the virtual queue concept. I'll let others share which ride(s) have that. I know Tron, but not sure on GotG
6. Not required, but Magic Band + replaced Magic Bands. However, old bands still work and you can use your phone/get a hard ticket if needed.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton, but I recommend checking out the stickies and most of your questions are answered there. It can be a lot as you know, so again, I'm sure others will jump in.

New since 2018: Galaxy's Edge at HS, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure and Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind at Epcot, and Tron Lightcycle Run at MK.
Fastpass is no more. Instead there are the paid options of Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lanes. There is a lot involved in those, so reading the sticked thread on them is recommended, then asking questions to help clarify what may not be clear.
Guardians and Tron also currently use a virtual queue instead of a traditional standby line. There are sticked threads that should explain how that works.
All parks now open 30 minutes before posted opening time every day for guests staying at Disney resorts, so as an off site guest, you will be at a slight disadvantage at rope drop now. This is less of an issue at MK because only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for that 30 minute early entry, so you are on more equal footing for rope drop if you head for Adventureland, Frontierland, or Liberty Square.

Thanks so much - this is already quite helpful.

I did read through parts of the stickies already and have a vague idea. Honestly not excited about paying extra for Genie+ and Lightning Lanes after already paying so much for tickets. Is it absolutely necessary?

We went summer of 2018 (I think) so I believe there are a couple more attractions I haven't seen yet. Isn't there a Micky coaster and maybe some more Star Wars stuff?

How "wild" are the new rides? I love Splash Mountain/Big Thunder, Expedition Everest is pushing it but doable, dislike Tower of Terror and definitely don't want anything with a looping.

I do love Flight of Passage. Would I need to pay extra for that or is it possible with just a regular ticket?

Thanks so much - this is already quite helpful.

I did read through parts of the stickies already and have a vague idea. Honestly not excited about paying extra for Genie+ and Lightning Lanes after already paying so much for tickets. Is it absolutely necessary?

We went summer of 2018 (I think) so I believe there are a couple more attractions I haven't seen yet. Isn't there a Micky coaster and maybe some more Star Wars stuff?

How "wild" are the new rides? I love Splash Mountain/Big Thunder, Expedition Everest is pushing it but doable, dislike Tower of Terror and definitely don't want anything with a looping.

I do love Flight of Passage. Would I need to pay extra for that or is it possible with just a regular ticket?
If you want to do standby you can get in any line but garden and Tron the wait might be an hour +

I missed Galaxy's Edge, but someone else got it. Mickey's Runaway Railway is new, but not a coaster. It has screens and a smooth level surface. Just like Frozen and Remy.

G+ is a love/hate for most. We love it and learned to stack rides to maximize it. Others use early entry (all onsite) and extended evening hours (deluxe resorts) to maximize without it.

Also, Splash Mountain is now closed.
It is being re-themed to Tiana’s Bayou Adventure and won’t open til some time next year or the year after.

If you want to do standby you can get in any line but garden and Tron the wait might be an hour +
Just wanted to clarify this statement a little, since I found the wording confusing. You cannot do standby for Guardians or Tron at this time. They are both using a virtual queue instead of standby line. Choices to ride this are to try for a spot in the virtual queue (free...first one at 7 am, then another at 1 pm) or to pay for an ILL.

New since 2018 that I have ridden multiple times and have first hand experience.

Rise of the Resistance (Galaxy's Edge) - this is a multi part experience, but is pretty much a dark ride, not a thrill ride. It is most definitely not a coaster. Based on your last post, I wouldn't see any issue with this ride. The less information you know about it, the better, as far as maximizing your first experience with it.
Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run (Galaxy's Edge) - this is a simulator - in my opinion, the closest thing to compare it to would be Star Tours (even though the two are quite different). If you are ok with simulator rides and a bit of bumping around, then this should be fine.
Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - this is a family friendly trackless ride. Not a thrill ride, more of a dark ride, definitely not a coaster. Bumpy in a couple spots, but overall a very tame, very cute ride.
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure - same situation as M&MRR (though not nearly as cute as M&MRR)

No you don't have to buy Genie+ or ILLs, but given the time of year you are going I'm going to guess it is going to be crowded since a lot of schools will be out for the summer. You can try for the Virtual Ques at both Tron and Guardians and if you don't get them and really just have to ride them, then buy the ILLs. If you don't get Genie+ you aren't going to ride as many rides as you would with it and you are most likely going to wait in some long (I'm talking 2 hours for some rides) lines.

You said you were going solo, I've found my solo trips are much more relaxed and I just go with the flow on them, but I go often so there is that. Both Splash and RNRC are closed, RNRC is just down for refurb but I'm guessing that isn't one you ride anyway. You can rope drop FOP but since you aren't on site, all those folks will already be there but it will still be a shorter wait.

As far as if the newish rides will bother you, hard to say. For example, I can ride Thunder Mtn but as I've aged, EE gives me a headache. I can do it but I have to close my eyes on the backward part. FOP makes me a little woozy, not really sick but I always feel a little off when its done. I love ToT and ride it multiple times, I think that might be because I'm smallish and always get a lot of air. Mickey and Minnie is fine, I don't ride it a lot because there is one part that sort of jerks you around for about 30 sec. and my bones don't do well with jerking. Rise in Galaxy's Edge is fine for me. I had to sit under a tree with a cold compress on my neck for 1/2 hour after riding Guardians, it is a smooth coaster but does have some screens and the actual vehicles turn a bit, the screens are what got me. Haven't tried Tron yet but from what I've seen there are no loops but you need to test the ride vehicle before you get on it, it is a motorcycle type and uncomfortable for some but they do have a vehicle that is just a regular seated one if you want to wait.

Regarding Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane (ILL), I would recommend going into the MDE app, click on the Tip Board tab, and play around.

I know others will jump in with lots of info, but off the topic of my head:

1. No MDE or dining plans
2. Remy, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Tron are new
3. Genie+ replaced Fast Pass. You may purchase it only on the day of the park visit. The timing of purchase depends on if you are offsite or onsite. Don't confuse plus with just the "genie" in MDE. That's just a free itinerary planner. Genie+ allows you to schedule rides, but with tons of requirements and restrictions. See the sticky thread that has TONS of info.
4. Individual Lightning Lane (ILL) are purchased for specific rides to guarantee a ride and a time.
5. There is also the virtual queue concept. I'll let others share which ride(s) have that. I know Tron, but not sure on GotG
6. Not required, but Magic Band + replaced Magic Bands. However, old bands still work and you can use your phone/get a hard ticket if needed.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton, but I recommend checking out the stickies and most of your questions are answered there. It can be a lot as you know, so again, I'm sure others will jump in.
It used to be a lot easier. Now it’s like a job.

I don’t think someone has mentioned already but park reservations. You need to make park reservations after buying your tickets. If you don’t, you might not be able to get in the park you want. You also need the park reservations for Epcot/MK to try the Virtual queue for Guardians/Tron

Thanks so much for all the information! It has been extremely helpful. I think I will try without Genie+/ILL and maybe splurge on one if there is something I really can't get without it. I do wish they hadn't made most of the changes though as they take away a lot of the spontaneity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter