Snorkeling excursion suggestion for seasick prone in Grand Cayman?

pooh_mania

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have experience with good snorkeling excursions in Grand Cayman for those who are seasick prone? Are there any excursion companies with larger boats? Are the waters relatively calm in Stingray City and the Grand Cayman area?

I have been on 2 cruises in the past. I never had a problem with motion sickness on the ship. But when we went on a glassbottom boat excursion in Key West I was green :sick: . When the boat was traveling I was fine, but when we stopped to view the ocean life I was miserable and it was a relatively calm sea day. I had used the wrist straps, Bonine and soda crackers all to no avail.

It appears that the excursion boats are similar to others that I have been on, and felt ill. I definitely want to do an excusion to Stingray City, possibly with Captin Marvins but I don't want to ruin my whole day. Plus, once you are on the excursion, you are stuck for the long haul.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you.

We did a Captain Marvin's 1/2 day excursion booked outside of DCL - you get 2 snorkle stops and a stop at Stingray City. The boat is probably 30'-35' with a flying bridge and small head in the front below deck. My DW, who gets seasick/airsick easier than most, I believe, was fine on the Captain Marvin boat. The captain of our boat said it was a little choppier than normal, and we found it quite tolerable. Each stop lasted probably 20-30 minutes or so, with 30-40 minutes to get to the first stop, 15 minutes each between the next 2 stops, and another 30-40 minutes back to the dock. We had a blast.

DW used Bonine for a large portion of the trip as a pre-emptive measure, as well as using ginger tablets, so I don't know how she would have felt without them. There is water and fruit juice onboard, but nothing else.

Probably the trip that would get you is the water taxi from Cozumel to the mainland if you decide to go to Xcaret. THAT one is quite a bit worse!

Yes, I've used Dramamine, Bonine, wrist bands, and soda crackers which don't seem to help. The Dramamine wiped me out, so I don't take it. The Bonine did not seem to help at all on the glass bottom boat ride. I felt so terrible and the crew kept reassuring me we'd be going back soon. But obviously they had to let people enjoy the sea life through the glass bottom for the time planned since they paid for it too.

I am just so worried about ruining my whole day (and having my young children with me) on the sea and feeling so ill that I can't watch them.

We did the shipwreck and reef snorkelling. We were first timers snorkeling, so we thought it was fine. The best part of it for you may be the distance, you take the tender to shore and basically go 1/2 way back out and snorkel with the Magic right behind you. The pictures are funny, looks like we are closer to the ship than we really were, but maybe if you don't have to go too far in the boat it may be better? The second stop was a bit further, I don't remember it being too bad, but then again, waves don't bother me.

Its the glassbottom boat that is the problem.....

I, too, got terribly seasick on the glassbottom boat tour in Key West. Never again. I think its something about the design of that particular boat.

Been on many snorkeling excursions and haven't had a problem with being seasick.

I think you will be fine no matter who you book with in Grand Cayman. One time we did the DCL stingray city excursion there was a hurricane a day away and the water was pretty choppy and I didn't feel sick at all.

We did the shipwreck and reef snorkelling. We were first timers snorkeling, so we thought it was fine. The best part of it for you may be the distance, you take the tender to shore and basically go 1/2 way back out and snorkel with the Magic right behind you. The pictures are funny, looks like we are closer to the ship than we really were, but maybe if you don't have to go too far in the boat it may be better? The second stop was a bit further, I don't remember it being too bad, but then again, waves don't bother me.

Hi
Thinking of taking this excursion. What type of boat takes you out to snorkel? What time of day was it offered, morning or afternoon? Are you given anything to drink on board? Did they give out those snorkeling vest that they use on Castaway Cay?
Thanks for your help!

As an avid scuba diver, I have been told there are 3 things that contribute to sea-sickness: 1) being unstable on your feet, 2) equilibrium in your middle ear being out-of-whack, 3) your vision constantly having to adjust to sea motion. The Dive Master that told me this said if you can break 1 of the 3 you will feel much better. Meds typically work with the middle ear issue. Big boats help to stablilize your feet and vision. But for smaller boats and not wanting to take meds, he suggested watching the horizon where it meets the ocean. This will stabilize your vision.

I have found this to work very well for me but I have added 1 additional step, be the first one in the water. I am typically getting my gear ready while the boat is traveling to our dive site. When the boat stops, I am geared up, listening to the Dive Master explain the dive while watching the horizon, then I am in the water. Once in the water, the sea-sickness is gone.

Hope this helps.

I have a huge problem with motion sickness! I can get motion sickness watching TV if the camera is moving too much. I have a non-drug solution! When I was pregnant - the morning (morning - it was ALL DAY) sickness. It was so bad I ruptured my throat. My doctor prescribed me the Relief Band - now it is available without a script. You can find it online through google. it works on the gate theory (only one sensation can get through) and on accu-pressure. You were it on her inner wrist and it sends shocks to you - very slight or very strong depending on how much you need. I wear it the entire cruise (with the exception of she shower) and I have never gotten sick. I went on a 3 day cruise in February and we had 16 ft seas - I was fine the whole time - on the top deck looking out at the waves. The funny thing is after a week of cruising - get this - I get landsickness!!!!!! I could not believe it - but the relief band worked for that too. I don't leave home (to cruise) without it. When I was in labor, they made me take it off - I was getting sick between contractions! augh!!!!

this might be a good excursion for you -- the reef and wreck are just a VERY short (think 5 or 10 minute, max) boat ride from the meeting location. You are in very calm water (water depth is pretty shallow).

Stingray City is great -- but it is a longer boat ride (so probably a faster, bumpier boat ride) -- and you will likely go over deeper (rougher) water to get to the site (which is, itself, shallow).

To minimize sea-sickness -- as has been mentioned, focus on the horizon line -- also, be sure to stay in the fresh air, be well-hydrated, and relax

have a great time

We too did the shipwreck and reef snorkelling and would say it might be a good choice, you are not on the boat very long at all. It was a medium size snorkel boat.

That being said, we are also scuba divers and I do have a tendency to get motion sick. Anyway, I get more motion sick floating on top of the water then I do in the boat. Not trying to bring you down, just wanted you to be aware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter