Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fat people at work don't pay more...folks with long drives don't pay more...folks that drink don't pay more...but if smokers have too, what's keeping the company from adding other higher risk folks to the list that pay more?
My personal experience: Husband's life insurance premium is double mine. x the past 15 yrs. He was overweight at the time of the health screening and his blood pressure borderline-high. I am low weight for height and healthy b/p. Agent said his weight and b/p were the issue. (Husband has since began eating healthy and lost 60+ lbs and b/p is in healthy range now so, maybe an update is possible?). Also, in my state, when signing up for auto insurance, they ask you what your driving distance to work is and what your avg miles per year on the vehicle will be. Young drivers pay more. Young males more than young females. The insurance industry has the whole risk classification thing down pat.

I have a feeling it's going to be a learning curve for some who do not know it will be banned and will only increase the chance of people finding other areas to smoke out of the eye of CMs. If people are desperate enough it will happen.

While a lot of times people just seem inconsiderate, I have a mother who unfortunately feels the need to smoke, is unable to move very well, and is in a lot of pain and while always a bids by the rules got desperate enough at AK to go into a secluded area with no one around, as we asked several CMs and not one of them knew of an area to smoke other than outside the parks. If you frequently go, or have an AP you know how big AK is. However, my mother was discovered eventually and while yes, she broke the rules, got so much rudeness from this CM and judgement I was stunned.

I may not be able to get any sympathy points to some people, but this is someone who doesn't even smoke in her own house out of courtesy to me. However, that is a few steps, where depending on where you're in a park and which park, it could be a mile, or two.

To most, this isn't a big deal, or a burden, but to some, who unfortunately who feels as if they need these things, as well as other complications, it creates great conflict and I didn't realize that until I took my mother to a couple of Disney parks.

Also, if Disney wanted to change their policy, they should at least be honest about it. I've been the areas and they're definitely not in the way and wouldn't increase congestion. I'm sure if Disney sold cigs on top of the alcohol they now sell this wouldn't have happened. *whistles*

Last edited:
Does overeating or drinking affect others around you?

Like drinking alcohol or overeating?

This is stupid, but predictable. Enforce what you have. Probably not taking my mother on a trip now because we aren't going through security half a dozen times a day for a cigarette.

It's gonna go over well with the Asian and European tourists who aren't treated like lepers back home.

When my company was bought out, our new parent company made our campus smoke free. It was about a month later we got a letter from our neighbors asking us to please come out and clean up the street between our offices. No one quit smoking because smoking was banned on campus...everyone just walks or drives to the street, has a smoke or two, tosses them on the ground and walks or drives back. What the company did effectively was cause a lot of litter and make 5 minute breaks take 10. What do this have to do with this conversation you may ask? Just this...Don't be a bit surprised when butts start littering areas between the parking lots, the trams, the monorail, and the boats. Are they going to ban fatty foods since obesity is such a huge health problem in this country? I could go on and on and I have several times at the office but I won't today.

Okay. since you want to go there, I'll play. Every business has the right to make their own rules on their own property. From what they sell, to what they allow within the confines of their property is their business. Patrons can choose to enter or not. I firmly believe that this policy has nothing to do with the health and well being of their patrons, but everything to do with the overall comfort of the vast majority of their guests.

You are allowed to have alcohol in designated areas such as restaurants when in Disney property, and not allowed in others. This has nothing to do with the laws regarding intoxication, but everything to do with how Disney is choosing to handle alcohol. You are never allowed to bring it in. Again, there is no law that you cannot, but a policy of the property owner.

Why you chose to bring what is healthy into Disney smoking policy is beyond me.

In regards to the litter: Years ago I worked for a large call center that was situated on a huge campus. There were designated areas for smoking, however the vast majority chose to use the front entrance under the canopy. There was an ashcan there, but there was cigarette all over. Our facilities manager sent a memo out detailing exactly how the policy would change if he was out there picking up butts again: No smoking anywhere on property. Oh the uproar! "we will just smoke in our vehicles." No. Anyone caught smoking anywhere on property would be terminated. You see, they owned the parking lot. You can bet the litter stopped because it was almost a mile to the public road.

they shouldn't - if they can tell you are intoxicated they shouldn't serve you

bar onwers can get sued if someone was served while visibly intoxicated and then they get into an accident b/c they drive drunk

They sure can!

My son was in an accident not too long after he got his license. He had been reaching for his soda. The officer told him that he was lucky he did not issue a ticket for distracted driving.

I wonder if they will institute some kind of re-entry queue separate from the main lines for smokers, and others who leave the park for one reason or another, to get back in more efficiently and not bog down the main queues. They could give them a wristband or something on the way out the gate so not just anyone can use that queue.
Not sure a wristband would be any more efficient than a magic band. In theory re-entry should always be just as efficient as first-time entry.

It's gonna go over well with the Asian and European tourists who aren't treated like lepers back home.
Disneyland Paris is absolutely full of rule-breaking smokers. When my daughter and I visited Tokyo Disney last year I was interested to see how people would handle the smoking rules because I know that (1) the Japanese really, really love to smoke, but (2) they are very respectful of rules. It turned out that the second factor was the only one that mattered as we did not get a single whiff of cigarette smoke during our visit there or even see anyone light up (I think the smoking areas are indoors with dedicated ventilation).

My conspiracy theory is that smokers as a cohort spend x% less than the average visitor. So Disney wants to deter them coming. I think a lot of policy changes are the result of customer shaping. Trying to tailor the park experience to their once in a lifetime drop $10k ideal guest.

My conspiracy theory is that smokers as a cohort spend x% less than the average visitor. So Disney wants to deter them coming. I think a lot of policy changes are the result of customer shaping. Trying to tailor the park experience to their once in a lifetime drop $10k ideal guest.
I realize that the money we spend at Disney is just a tiny tiny little drop in the bucket compared to the big picture, but when I spend $10-15 on a drink, or $6-7 on a coffee, I would like to enjoy it with my vape. We only spend about $3500-4000 at Disney a year as APs, and now I guess I can put that money towards something else. Fine by me if Disney doesn't want my business.

The main issue is that smokers were not staying is designated areas anymore. Yes, the smoking areas in the parks were hidden and out of the way but people were ignoring the areas and smoking anywhere they wanted.

And now this is going to happen at least 10 times more. It doesn't matter how much it's enforced. A smoker will smoke.

I was wondering about this too. The people that I know that smoke are not exactly poor, in fact they spend lots of time and money at the fancy smoke shops getting the whatever fancy smoking things; it's a bit of a habit and a hobby, so this is befuddling. Of my closest friends and family only 1 one of the households with a smoker make less than probably 150, and several are high millionaires, including a Dr. and 2 judges. Again, that's a limited pool, but I was like "WTH, there goes a bunch of rich, indulgent grandads who are taking the kids somewhere else." That's what made it so shocking. Personally, after swearing off onsite, my dad had almost convinced us all to stay at CR for a our summer family trip. That'd be 4 rooms with a view and all the fancy meals, whatever any of the 3 kids would want, whatever hard ticket events we wanted (DAH for sure) and park hoppers for 7 for a week. He/DH/Dbrother aren't going to run to the front of the everliving park all day. It'd be a nightmare, and they smoke, it's their vacation too. DLP here we come?

ETA: there may be an uptick in the resell market on DVC now...lol.

This will be a good thing as long as they enforce it. I don't typically see them enforcing the current smoking areas, as I've seen people smoking all over.
I have seen it be enforced, I have even seen security remove people from the parks without refund for smoking in nonsmoking areas. I have also seen them revoke admission media, hopefully they will do this more, as you do it enough and people will get the hint that they can't get away with it.

A complete ban is actually easier to enforce than having smoking areas anyway.

When we bought life insurance, we had to have a physical from a nurse who recorded our weight, BMI, lifestyle habits,etc. Our rate was based on all of those factors. In fact, my DH, at 5'10" and 190 lbs was considered overweight and had a higher rate than me! For our health insurance, we have to fill out a survey every year that asks us similar questions - weight, amount of alcohol you typically consume, if you smoke, etc. Discounts are given based upon how you answer. Every year when we renew our car insurance, we have to tell them how far we typically drive our car each day (how far it is to work, for example) and they ask for an odometer reading every year. Our rates are based on this. So at least in my experience, smoking isn't the only "higher risk" lifestyle choice that requires you to pay more for insurance.

I was giving a specific example of group health insurance where I work. I wasn't talking about the entirety of the insurance industry.

Disneyland Paris is absolutely full of rule-breaking smokers. When my daughter and I visited Tokyo Disney last year I was interested to see how people would handle the smoking rules because I know that (1) the Japanese really, really love to smoke, but (2) they are very respectful of rules. It turned out that the second factor was the only one that mattered as we did not get a single whiff of cigarette smoke during our visit there or even see anyone light up (I think the smoking areas are indoors with dedicated ventilation).

Well, by this map, there are just SO many DSA no one would even need to break the rules:

https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/guest-services/map/#/id=smoking-areas

My personal experience: Husband's life insurance premium is double mine. x the past 15 yrs. He was overweight at the time of the health screening and his blood pressure borderline-high. I am low weight for height and healthy b/p. Agent said his weight and b/p were the issue. (Husband has since began eating healthy and lost 60+ lbs and b/p is in healthy range now so, maybe an update is possible?). Also, in my state, when signing up for auto insurance, they ask you what your driving distance to work is and what your avg miles per year on the vehicle will be. Young drivers pay more. Young males more than young females. The insurance industry has the whole risk classification thing down pat.

Sorry, just citing a specific example about health insurance where I work.

I was wondering about this too. The people that I know that smoke are not exactly poor, in fact they spend lots of time and money at the fancy smoke shops getting the whatever fancy smoking things; it's a bit of a habit and a hobby, so this is befuddling. Of my closest friends and family only 1 one of the households with a smoker make less than probably 150, and several are high millionaires, including a Dr. and 2 judges. Again, that's a limited pool, but I was like "WTH, there goes a bunch of rich, indulgent grandads who are taking the kids somewhere else." That's what made it so shocking. Personally, after swearing off onsite, my dad had almost convinced us all to stay at CR for a our summer family trip. That'd be 4 rooms with a view and all the fancy meals, whatever any of the 3 kids would want, whatever hard ticket events we wanted (DAH for sure) and park hoppers for 7 for a week. He/DH/Dbrother aren't going to run to the front of the everliving park all day. It'd be a nightmare, and they smoke, it's their vacation too. DLP here we come?

ETA: there may be an uptick in the resell market on DVC now...lol.

LOL, No offense, but the complaints about kids (or should I say "little people") before you had kids...... begins to make a whole lot more sense now.

Like just about everyone above, I am thrilled. I'm also elated that they added vaping. I know "it's just water" or whatever, but It's still nauseating to those around you.

I don't want to wonder if I'm smelling ice cream & funnel cake on Main Street, or if I just accidentally wandered into someone's nasty vape cloud :crazy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter