Slim pickings on the DVC resale front.

And to think it's not sold out yet either. But on the other hand, with all the resales off limits to Riv, at the end of the day it could actually be no worse. Not sure how many open contracts left to sell there.

Would a Riv resale be eligible for future DVC resorts? Are they splitting the booking strategies with Riviera starting a new chapter. BR (Before Riviera) vs AR (After Riviera)?
With it not being sold out it means more rooms are available as cash rentals (taking away from point bookings). As more points are bought, more rooms will be available book with points. So, while that doesn't mean the situation will get better, it may not get worse either.

Riv resale can stay at Riv, not future resorts.

There is also the provision in the POS that allows DVD to permit and optionally charge an exchange for other resorts. So, it's certainly possible that resale owners will be able to book other DVC resorts during certain times....and for a certain price.

While we still have our 220 point AKV (sep) going through ROFR we are already tempted to find another 75 point too up.

Saw one that’s gone up today which we really want but it’s a March use year. Apparently it’s a faff if you want to combine points as you have to phone and get MS to move them over once a year

That certainly would be nice!

My thought is I will work my way towards the blue card as I can afford to. (Mainly for the gold AP benefit, if it returns, and the ability to stay at Riviera.)

And to think it's not sold out yet either. But on the other hand, with all the resales off limits to Riv, at the end of the day it could actually be no worse. Not sure how many open contracts left to sell there.

Would a Riv resale be eligible for future DVC resorts? Are they splitting the booking strategies with Riviera starting a new chapter. BR (Before Riviera) vs AR (After Riviera)?
Riviera is not part of a Vacation Club, as defined by the Florida law, because not all owners have access to the reservation component of the DVC.
Riviera is a standalone resort. People who buy directly from Disney are given access to a privileged exchange with other DVC resorts.
Riviera resale owners are entitled to book only Riviera, no other present or future resorts.

Last edited:
Riviera is not part of a Vacation Club, as defined by the Florida law, because not all owners have access to the reservation component of the DVC.
Riviera is a standalone resort. People who buy directly from Disney are given access to a privileged exchange with other DVC resorts.
Riviera resale owners are entitled to book only Riviera, no other present or future resorts.

This is good to know. Had no idea!

This is good to know. Had no idea!
Disclaimer: this i my interpretation, however the Florida timeshare law defines access to the club reservation component as a requirement for the definition of a timeshare as a Vacation Club. Disney believes that Riviera meets that requirement, however since some owners are excluded, I don't think it qualifies.

Disney believes that Riviera meets that requirement, however since some owners are excluded, I don't think it qualifies.
Disney is not alone in this. Diamond and Marriott both work this way as well: club ownerships sold on the secondary market are withdrawn from the "club" portion, though in both cases they can be "requalified" with a fee paid to the developer. In Diamond's case, it is in the form of a purchase of qualifying points that can "wash" dirty resale points. In Marrriott's, it's just a straight per-point fee to re-qualify them. Both of these schemes predate Riviera.

While we still have our 220 point AKV (sep) going through ROFR we are already tempted to find another 75 point too up.

Saw one that’s gone up today which we really want but it’s a March use year. Apparently it’s a faff if you want to combine points as you have to phone and get MS to move them over once a year

Now, I learned what faff means, too. Waiting to see how you make out in ROFR.

I’m already looking for a Sep <100 point contract for AKV and there’s nothing about. Few weeks ago there’s was quite a few.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter