• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Slim pickings on the DVC resale front.

What is up with resale market?? I almost listed our floridian contract last year because we haven't been using it - usually end up at one of the epcot resorts - but the kids want it so i will add their names to the contract in another couple years. Glad we didn't list
Still kicking myself for selling one of my VGF contracts!

I think a lot of it is pent-up demand. Folks have been sitting around and not going anywhere or doing anything. This means also they might have put some money aside since they did not do a vacation last year and can now entertain purchasing DVC.

I bought a bigger contract in April 2020 when things were looking grim and looking back I wish I would have bought a bit more during that time. I always like checking the resale sites to see what's available and now in hindsight I'm happy with the decisions I've made based what's currently out there

So much for resale restrictions affecting the resaleability of Riviera
Once we're 2.5-3 years out from Riviera's debut, I predict the resale price will settle somewhere in the 130s/140s, which is lower than where it should be. There aren't that many resale contracts available for it right now and the market is extremely hot as is. I wouldn't be rushing to any conclusions yet.

Once we're 2.5-3 years out from Riviera's debut, I predict the resale price will settle somewhere in the 130s/140s, which is lower than where it should be. There aren't that many resale contracts available for it right now and the market is extremely hot as is. I wouldn't be rushing to any conclusions yet.

I agree but if it even settles as high as $130/$140s that is still a lot higher than most of us predicted.

Given it is one resort only, I think that would be a great level to settle in at. I always said I’d never buy it and did! Lol

Anyone have predictions of the future of Riviera at the 11 month mark? I mean, if you like it, and always want to stay there, then it may not be a bad deal….provided you can always get it at 11 months. Because if you can’t, you are in a bad spot. Honestly, if I had Riviera points, that’s probably the only place I’d use them at.

Anyone have predictions of the future of Riviera at the 11 month mark? I mean, if you like it, and always want to stay there, then it may not be a bad deal….provided you can always get it at 11 months. Because if you can’t, you are in a bad spot. Honestly, if I had Riviera points, that’s probably the only place I’d use them at.
Right now for a lot of the year Tower studios and standard view studios go fast, before the 10 month mark. The more resale they have the faster they will go. They will be like CCV studios. Probably going to have people walking them.

We use most of our contracts that way and rarely ever switch at the 7 month mark because we have the ability to plan 11 months out since we are self employed. We have a small VGC contract that I have only ever used to stay there until this year due to COVID. So I definitely think that will play into buying RIV resale because if an owner already has the ability to stay elsewhere with their other DVC points an exclusive RIV is not a big deal.

We use most of our contracts that way and rarely ever switch at the 7 month mark because we have the ability to plan 11 months out since we are self employed. We have a small VGC contract that I have only ever used to stay there until this year due to COVID. So I definitely think that will play into buying RIV resale because if an owner already has the ability to stay elsewhere with their other DVC points an exclusive RIV is not a big deal.
Right now for a lot of the year Tower studios and standard view studios go fast, before the 10 month mark. The more resale they have the faster they will go. They will be like CCV studios. Probably going to have people walking them.
that's true, but remember anyone buying resale contracts for ANYTHING can't use them at Riviera going forward either. This contract goes to 2070 I think? It will be long before that before you only have direct DVC and Riviera resale ONLY able to book there. Not to mention, Disney is going to be low on Direct points for a period here in the not too distant future. Copper Creek is sold out so the only direct options are resorts that have a resale market well established or Aulani. In 2040 these points will be well over $200 point simply by inflation. It will be stressful knowing you have to use them there or bank but renting a booked reservation there during Food and Wine will be pretty easy so you can always hold that just in case too. You could rent a 4 night reservation for $1600 currently and that's about 3 years of dues on the points needed for a standard studio. So if you do that 1/3 years you get two years of points with the dues covered and if you're a maniac and do that for 50 years, the math is very favorable even with no inflation in the points. There will also always be a market for a direct owner looking to add a small contract and seeing the delta between directing resale and happily paying whatever the resale is for their use year because they can use their direct anywhere.

I'm very interested to see what happens with DLT. That's going to sell out no problem but will likely have the same restriction. Are people going to care on the resale market with the restriction if they're $180/point resale and $300 from Disney? You can buy a GCV resale contract today for well over $200/point.....you can use those points anywhere but Riviera but do you want to having spent that much????That's a good value considering what you pay cash at that resort but I don't want to be using those points at Saratoga even though that's a great place to stay because those points are HALF the cost. Sort of the same issue in reverse.

that's true, but remember anyone buying resale contracts for ANYTHING can't use them at Riviera going forward either. This contract goes to 2070 I think? It will be long before that before you only have direct DVC and Riviera resale ONLY able to book there. Not to mention, Disney is going to be low on Direct points for a period here in the not too distant future. Copper Creek is sold out so the only direct options are resorts that have a resale market well established or Aulani. In 2040 these points will be well over $200 point simply by inflation. It will be stressful knowing you have to use them there or bank but renting a booked reservation there during Food and Wine will be pretty easy so you can always hold that just in case too. You could rent a 4 night reservation for $1600 currently and that's about 3 years of dues on the points needed for a standard studio. So if you do that 1/3 years you get two years of points with the dues covered and if you're a maniac and do that for 50 years, the math is very favorable even with no inflation in the points. There will also always be a market for a direct owner looking to add a small contract and seeing the delta between directing resale and happily paying whatever the resale is for their use year because they can use their direct anywhere.

I'm very interested to see what happens with DLT. That's going to sell out no problem but will likely have the same restriction. Are people going to care on the resale market with the restriction if they're $180/point resale and $300 from Disney? You can buy a GCV resale contract today for well over $200/point.....you can use those points anywhere but Riviera but do you want to having spent that much????That's a good value considering what you pay cash at that resort but I don't want to be using those points at Saratoga even though that's a great place to stay because those points are HALF the cost. Sort of the same issue in reverse.
GCV listings are $250 a point at the current moment. DLT will be $300 per point direct from Disney. However, MOST are studios so Disney will be selling a lot of smaller contracts.

The scariest part of that is those points can ONLY be used at RR. Aint gonna go a long way with the restrictions
If you can't get what you want there, you can book something in RCI or rent the points to someone who wants what you are able to book. That might be enough of an out for those who have problems booking a Riviera stay. I don't like the points chart & the dues relative to other resorts a lot more than the resale value (if indeed there will be a big dip I'm not convinced there will be).

GCV listings are $250 a point at the current moment. DLT will be $300 per point direct from Disney. However, MOST are studios so Disney will be selling a lot of smaller contracts.
If DLT is $300 per point, we won't buy no matter how much we would like it...

Did anyone see the 50 point HHI for $119? Wowza!
After closing costs, that is the same price as direct! WOW!
I would be curious to hear what the board sponsor said to discuss the starting price on this contract.
(I just closed on a 50 point at HHI for 75/pt that looks the same as this contract.)

Last edited:
And to think it's not sold out yet either. But on the other hand, with all the resales off limits to Riv, at the end of the day it could actually be no worse. Not sure how many open contracts left to sell there.

Would a Riv resale be eligible for future DVC resorts? Are they splitting the booking strategies with Riviera starting a new chapter. BR (Before Riviera) vs AR (After Riviera)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter