Singles(& ex-singles who refuse to leave)Social Club: Amazingly, It's still 5o'clock!

So. After almost 3 years at my job, they terminated me today. I'm a bill collector and have collected 400k in 10 months. They let me go do to 1 bad month. I already have a few opportunities out there. But it still sucks. I've never been fired before in 11 years of working. Plus. I really wanted to move to Orlando by my bday in April. Don't think that is gonna happen now.

I'd say this gives you the push to make Orlando happen, do it!:goodvibes

So. After almost 3 years at my job, they terminated me today. I'm a bill collector and have collected 400k in 10 months. They let me go do to 1 bad month. I already have a few opportunities out there. But it still sucks. I've never been fired before in 11 years of working. Plus. I really wanted to move to Orlando by my bday in April. Don't think that is gonna happen now.

I say it could be a good thing since it means you can expand your job search just in case you find a nice option in the Orlando area. It could simplify your desired move.

Guess I'll hop in on the fun. Just moved to Orlando and am at the parks at least 3 times a week. Gotta love that AP!

:welcome: to the party!

Feel free to pull up a chair, Order a drink from our resident bartender, and join in the fun around here!

Just wanted to check in and let you all know that I have my power back. I can only wish the same for everyone who still doesn't have power. School is closed again tomorrow. We now have five "snow" days to make up and it only November.

Josh , so sorry about your job. You should consider moving to Orlando now. And don't forget everything happens for a reason! Good luck.

Croydon is in lower Bucks County ... you were probably ~ 10 miles or so from my house. I live right near Sesame Place. They recently opened a micro-brewery in Croydon ... Neshaminy Creek Brewing. There's no brewpub, but they do have a tasting room that's open a couple days a week.

Well, it's a small world after all (feel free to sing along, now that I have gotten the tune in your head...) Googled Neshiminy Creek Brewing, and they are almost on the same road as the company (a small contract manufacturing company called Zober Industries) I was visiting. Next time I get back I will stop in and bring some back.

Another storm-related problem cropping up here on LI is the shortage of gasoline due to lack of deliverys. Coupled with the large number of traffic lights still not working makes for some interesting travel.

Hope you get your power back soon!

Oh, and when I went on the website for Neshiminy Brewing, the first thing I see is an event they are holding, Hot Rods and Hops! Two of my some of my favorite things, if there was a Grateful Dead band playing it would be perfect. Timing is a little off, it's this Saturday so travel might be a little tough.

Speaking of breweries, going to a beerfest next Saturday at Belmont Racetrack. Cheers!

Hey Josh! Time to look for a job in Orlando. Maybe you'll move there sooner than you think!

Another storm-related problem cropping up here on LI is the shortage of gasoline due to lack of deliverys. Coupled with the large number of traffic lights still not working makes for some interesting travel.

Hope you get your power back soon!

I saw the lines on the news this morning! I wonder how many people will run out of gas before they reach the pump?

I did OK with Sandy over here. The lights flickered a bunch of times, but I never lost power. We went back to work yesterday. Some of my co-workers are still without power and dealing with flooded basements. I think this part of Virginia fared pretty well.

Oh, and when I went on the website for Neshiminy Brewing, the first thing I see is an event they are holding, Hot Rods and Hops! Two of my some of my favorite things, if there was a Grateful Dead band playing it would be perfect. Timing is a little off, it's this Saturday so travel might be a little tough.

Speaking of breweries, going to a beerfest next Saturday at Belmont Racetrack. Cheers!
I was at a craft beer fest in Newtown PA a month or so ago. They had over 100 brewers and a Greatful Dead band playing! It was a blast.

Got my power back ... now I'll have to spend my weekend catching up on all things electric. I've got to travel to Ohio on business most of next week so I don't get much time to bask in a heated home with cooked food before I have to hit the road.

I'm in agreement with the idea of job searching in the Orlando area. Don't get me started on my take on the state of company loyalty and meeting short term quarterly targets vs long term growth ... Lives are getting destroyed so some bean counter can fudge a short-term spreadsheet.

Hang in there, I'm another firm believer that everthing happens for a reason, even if it doesn't seem to make sense right now.

Neshaminy Brewing also does a movie night once a month where you can bring your own lawn chair and snacks and they show a movie right in the brewing area. Donations to charity allow you to get beers straight off the taps while watching the flick.

Near the I-95/PA Turnpike/Rt 1 area of Lower Bucks there are a few good places for craft brews (in case you're in the area again and need a good beer). The Hulmeville Inn is THE place for beer ... but parking can be next to impossible and it can very crowded with a strange mix of relaxed beer fans and the younger hipster crowd trying to look cool. Surprisingly, the Uno's Pizza in Langhorne (Oxford Valley Mall) and Bensalem (Neshaminy Mall) have great beer bars. The manager is a beer geek and keeps a great tap list. They built the Neshaminy Uno's bar with beer in mind and even keep a firkin on tap of local brewery's rare one-offs.

I was at a craft beer fest in Newtown PA a month or so ago. They had over 100 brewers and a Greatful Dead band playing! It was a blast.

The Newtown Beerfest is a great event! It's still relatively small yet pulls in a great list of brewers and was well organized. I'm concerned about it gettin too big in the coming years.

Hey, if we can't get a DISmeet for F&W 2013, we can always try getting the northeast / mid-atlantic DISers together for a beerfest.

Hey, if we can't get a DISmeet for F&W 2013, we can always try getting the northeast / mid-atlantic DISers together for a beerfest.

I just realized I have to get over to Troegs in Hershey to try their Mad Elf. They have it out now and I have been wanting to try it without buying a whole case.

I just realized I have to get over to Troegs in Hershey to try their Mad Elf. They have it out now and I have been wanting to try it without buying a whole case.

Mad Elf is nectar of the gods! I reserve a case every year (and it's pricey!) that I go through during various holiday parties. Most distributors around Philly only get a few cases each, and it usually flies off the shelves. Still isn't in stock in my area yet

I haven't been out see the new Hershey facility for Troegs. I may be attending a banquet at the Lodge in early Jan., so I may finally get a chance to visit Troegs. Also a big fan of their Hopback and Dreamweaver.

Sounds like a good idea, there are two coming up at Philly Naval Yard, one in March and one in June. I would lean towards the March date, too many things going on here in June. I will be at one at the Meadowlands in Feb.
http://www.starfishjunction.com/events.html

I will have to look into some of that Mad Elf!

You know, when Irene hit last year, it was the end of August so not having power was not as much of an issue because it was still quite warm out. The temps are starting to drop around here so it is becoming a real problem for way too many people.

Glad to hear that most, if not all of our East Coasters have checked in safely. I am still without power, but am being told that I should be back in action by Monday. They are yet to get the massive tree off of my power lines, so unless that happens today, I'm doubtful in the Monday timeline. I'm going to have to throw away most of my fridge contents, but in the grand scheme of things, I'll gladly take it as compared to what many have lost.

It's exciting to see talk of a 2013 meet so soon after the 2012 one. I'm going to make it a point to meet this crew at the 2013 meet. Consider it an early New Year's resoltution!

Brockton - Where abouts in Ohio will you be traveling to for work?

Brockton - Where abouts in Ohio will you be traveling to for work?

New Philly ... it's kinda in the middle of nowhere. I guess it's near Canton? It's pretty much a straight shot for me out the PA Turnpike for a 7-8 hr drive.

With power back on, finally getting some time to go back through the thread ...

:thumbsup2:goodvibes:goodvibes

Hmmm...notice your 'Toothpick Holders' don't include my favorite pavilion's Icon. (I'll give you a hint, look at my avatar pic)

Looks like the original Journey Icon to me ... which is still the only incarnation of Journey I'll acknowledge!

The shot glass icons are interesting to me, and was the topic of conversation I had with the CMs at Mouse Gear. I'm still not sure what the goal was for them. If they were going for the original pavilions from '82, should it be Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, Universe of Energy, and The Land? If they were going to target pavilions that aren't around, I'd go for Wonders of Life, World of Motion, Horizons, and then either The Living Seas, or the original Journey. Instead we get a strange mix that includes Wonders of Life??? I'd at least drop Wonders for one of the other pavilions. It's a great set, but the thinking behind it for EPCOT's 30th??

Oh.... and get this... I just heard that Disney has bought Lucasfilm.... Including the Star Wars Franchise..... ***?!?

Oh, I could write for pages on this! Personally I'm very excited about it. Just got back from my local comic shop, and spent a good hour involved in a fun fanboy debate on this topic :duck: Many are thinking it means the Disneyfication of Star Wars, but I think the franchise is in good hands and will be kept it's own thing just like Marvel. Overall I'm most excited about the future of the movie universe. If done correct, Lucas needs to step away and there should be a complete new blood injected to steer the universe for years to come.

Not sure if production is set to begin in 2015, or is a new movie set to release in 2015? Us comic geeks were mostly talking about a dream production team. I'd love Lucasfilm to take a chance like Marvel did with Whedon. For Producer or Exec-Producer of the New Trilogy I'd love to see someone like Whedon or Darabont ... people who understand story, but also CHARACTER over story. There's a ton of great writers from the TV and comic book industry that could inject new life into Star Wars. My dream writer would probably be Brian Wood (who's starting a comic set between Ep 4 and 5 in 2013) or Brian K Vaughan ... amazing comic writers who know how to handle characters and epic arcing stories. Director wise ... give a chance to Brad Bird or Rupert Wyatt. Would love to see Darabont or Whedon direct but I'd don't think they'd take on the task.

It'll be fun to see the response when the actual creative team behind the films are announced :scared1:

Oh, I could write for pages on this! Personally I'm very excited about it. Just got back from my local comic shop, and spent a good hour involved in a fun fanboy debate on this topic :duck: Many are thinking it means the Disneyfication of Star Wars, but I think the franchise is in good hands and will be kept it's own thing just like Marvel. Overall I'm most excited about the future of the movie universe. If done correct, Lucas needs to step away and there should be a complete new blood injected to steer the universe for years to come.

Not sure if production is set to begin in 2015, or is a new movie set to release in 2015? Us comic geeks were mostly talking about a dream production team. I'd love Lucasfilm to take a chance like Marvel did with Whedon. For Producer or Exec-Producer of the New Trilogy I'd love to see someone like Whedon or Darabont ... people who understand story, but also CHARACTER over story. There's a ton of great writers from the TV and comic book industry that could inject new life into Star Wars. My dream writer would probably be Brian Wood (who's starting a comic set between Ep 4 and 5 in 2013) or Brian K Vaughan ... amazing comic writers who know how to handle characters and epic arcing stories. Director wise ... give a chance to Brad Bird or Rupert Wyatt. Would love to see Darabont or Whedon direct but I'd don't think they'd take on the task.

It'll be fun to see the response when the actual creative team behind the films are announced :scared1:

I believe George Lucas knew exactly what he was doing here.It was always supposed to be 456, 123, 789. He knew it took too long to release 123 so it wasnt his best work. Good work, but not his best. Movies 789 need to appeal to a huge audience of Star Wars fans that need more content and not just the special effects.This is a great direction for the franchise. It is in excellent hands.

New Philly ... it's kinda in the middle of nowhere. I guess it's near Canton? It's pretty much a straight shot for me out the PA Turnpike for a 7-8 hr drive.

Yes, New Philly is definitely in the "middle of nowhere" classification. Canton is somewhat close-by (maybe 20-25 minutes). If you're looking for restaurants or shopping, Beldon Village in Canton is probably going to be your best bet. Good luck with the trek!

And good news... I finally have power back :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter