Single parent dating.

ShayBells

Let's get dangerous.
How do you date as a single parent?

How do you go about meeting new people?

When do you find the time?

Dating? Whats that?? Seriously though... I've been single now for 12 yrs & just recently started the dating process again at 42 :sad2:
I work 12 hours a week 5 days. So I either leave work early or go in a bit late. My boys are teens but I chose not to give up our family time to go on first dates. I meet men on a dating site & I like that, allows me to really pick & choose. Plus it's nice to come home to a ton of emails (it's also good entertainment).

No dating for me--that last husband of mine really did a number on me, and I have no interest in dating at all at this point! I've been divorced for over 10 years, and I'm happy with my life right now. I'm 52 with a 13 year old at home--not the kind of package that men are interested in anyways, and I'm cool with it.

I tried dating about a year after my divorce. I put a lot of effort into it for about two years and got really tired of the BS. I was on a couple online dating sites. I met a lot of jerks. I met a few really nice guys that were just not in a good mental space after their divorce. But I just never found the someone that stuck long term. My daughter has autism. She's very high functioning but demands a lot of my time. I would wait until I got to know the guy somewhat well before I'd share this about her. One guy that I thought was really special completely stopped communicating with me after I shared it. Another told me we could continue to date casually but that our relationship would never progress to something permanent because he didn't want to take that on. And so I finally decided it wasn't worth my time to date. It's been seven years since I've been on a date and I'm fine with that.

I haven't started dating yet. DS (1) is still very young. Dating is not something on my radar right now. Not sure how I will navigate it when I'm ready though.

Hopefully, there are some dating success stories on here.

When I'm ready, I think I would prefer a friend introducing me to someone or putting me in a situation to casually meet someone (a friend's BBQ or other get together). I've tried online dating and the experience overall was horrible. Mostly, men lying about details in their profile and about how they look or them just looking to "hook up". I've even shown up to dates and the guys were gay (4 different dates in a row). I thought I was the victim of a bunch of lost bets. It is nice to sit at your computer and "pick and choose". However, that's usually where the fun ends and the revelation of the lies begin. Oh the woes of online dating. Lol

I’ve been widowed 5.5 years now. It is hard for me to see time for that even once I got to the point where I’d like another relationship. Plus while I’m glad I waited to have children, the package contents probably isn’t (like another poster said) what a lot of guys are looking for. I’m 42 and having a 12 year-old at that age is one thing; but my little boy is 5. He’s my unexpected blessing, the child I wanted; but didn’t think I’d ever have. The truth is, my own husband reacted negatively to the pregnancy. He loved ds no doubt; and I’m sure his health colored his feelings but even after ds was born he expressed regret about it. So it’s kind of hard for me to have faith another man will want to take it all on. I try to believe he’s out there, maybe with children similar in age to mine thinking the same thing I am. There are a few exceptions; but most of my classmates have older children. Some of them are even becoming grandparents.

Maybe I'll make a friend and we'll fall for each other.

When I'm ready, I think I would prefer a friend introducing me to someone or putting me in a situation to casually meet someone (a friend's BBQ or other get together). I've tried online dating and the experience overall was horrible. Mostly, men lying about details in their profile and about how they look or them just looking to "hook up". I've even shown up to dates and the guys were gay (4 different dates in a row). I thought I was the victim of a bunch of lost bets. It is nice to sit at your computer and "pick and choose". However, that's usually where the fun ends and the revelation of the lies begin. Oh the woes of online dating. Lol

I actually had worse luck with people friends tried to set me up with. Most setups I had absolutely nothing in common with the guy. I think my friends' only criteria was "he's single." At least with online dating, I only accepted dates with people I had something in common with.

Sooo I will add to my previous post, I had some awkward dates with awkward men. But, I did meet a state trooper and someone really high up in the FBI ranks we still remain very very close friends. But, I didn't feel a sexual attraction to him. Bless his little heart :tilt:

I've been single 2 years now. I haven't been on a date and just now have gotten to where I would be okay going on a date! LOL! My friends want me to date, because they are married (one with 2 kids, one with none). I'm hesitant because I have a child and they have no idea how it is to constantly have your child in your head dealing with another person and you don't know their intentions.

Last edited:
I keep telling myself that it will happen when the time is right but sometimes that seems like forever from now. It would be wonderful to find someone that fits into our lives perfectly, but I am always hesitant to bring someone around my kid. I figure it's best to be alone than risk having a crazy around my child.

I'm always hoping to meet a handsome single dad in the grocery store, library, or one of the other places us parents hang out, but I never can tell if they're single or just not wearing a ring :rolleyes1

For me, I just did things with my daughter and sometimes I might run into someone interesting. I wouldn't really call it dating though, but have been on a few dates over the years from this. The best advice I can give is don't overdo it, but find occasional time for yourself and go out for things you like when possible. Your friends will come in really handy for this.

These are good stories... but nothing positive yet? The dating life scares me, maybe it's best just to be me and DS against the world. ::yes::

I don't have Anything positive either ...sorry...
I'm 46 and single mom of 3... .in my years of being single I've had mostly bad experiences and heartache...I have discovered my kids were more important than any selfish man. When I put myself and my kids as priorities life was better. Life became magical pixiedust: when I wasn't looking or actively seeking anyone. Then after 8 years a special man is here to stay. I don't have anything positive to say about any online dating site...my personal reasons are absolutely don't..but that is just my opinion...good luck and stay safe.

I don't have Anything positive either ...sorry...
I'm 46 and single mom of 3... .in my years of being single I've had mostly bad experiences and heartache...I have discovered my kids were more important than any selfish man. When I put myself and my kids as priorities life was better. Life became magical pixiedust: when I wasn't looking or actively seeking anyone. Then after 8 years a special man is here to stay. I don't have anything positive to say about any online dating site...my personal reasons are absolutely don't..but that is just my opinion...good luck and stay safe.

Ditto!

From the opposite side of things...

I've been single for a bit over 6 years. I dated one girl in that time period that I met on OkCupid, she was great. No children, but great with my son. We talked for a while, I really tried to force it, but I didn't feel a strong chemistry.

Online dating gets frustrating. I message very few women because I know I what I'm looking for, but seldom get messages back.

I've tried many different dating sites on & off over the years, and have never had anything come of it (this was before I was a Mom).

Now as a Mom I can't imagine where I would meet someone (online thing is not for me), and if I did how I would have time to date him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!