• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Sick Cat

She's becoming a geriatric. Illnesses can knock us down a bit and maybe change us somewhat overall. Still hopeful for a positive outcome! Hang in there! Your kitty has a great advocate/caregiver!

Yeah, I know she's getting older, but I wouldn't expect her to change like flipping a lightswitch. That said, I do know she may be a little different and less energetic than before, but she's eating so much better now and I think that if she were about like this beforehand, I wouldn't have even taken her in.

So, I'm still getting the urinanalysis done just to be safe - if that comes back as clean as the bloodwork, I think we'll be in a very good place.

Last edited:
So, another day in and she seems pretty good. Not quite back to normal, but eating quite well. She is licking and scratching a lot, so I'll keep an eye on that. I am pretty happy with the current status though, and my stress levels are way down now too. I'll still wait for the vet to read the urine results - should hear today. Things are looking up for Miss Silvian though:

Vivit.JPG

She looks mad here, but this is from a while ago. She's like the Hulk though - always a little angry! 🙂

So, another day in and she seems pretty good. Not quite back to normal, but eating quite well. She is licking and scratching a lot, so I'll keep an eye on that. I am pretty happy with the current status though, and my stress levels are way down now too. I'll still wait for the vet to read the urine results - should hear today. Things are looking up for Miss Silvian though:

View attachment 678146

She looks mad here, but this is from a while ago. She's like the Hulk though - always a little angry! 🙂
She's a beauty1 I love Torties!♥️

View attachment 678146

Great update on your beautiful girl!

My vet told me once that it's the fiesty ones that live the longest. Our fiesty calico almost made it to 20. Here's hoping your girl has many fiesty years in front of her.

Last edited:

My vet told me once that it's the fiesty ones that live the longest. Our fiesty calico almost made it to 20. He's hoping your girl has many fiesty years in front of her.

Oh, those torties & calicos are feisty indeed! It's because they're all female... 😉

She's a beauty1 I love Torties!♥️

Oh, I just fell in love with her when I saw her. Her fur is so pretty! Actually, the story is that I saw her in the PetSmart adoption area shortly after my pervious cat passed. I had noticed becasue the name was similar - Sylvester and Silvian. I wasn't quite ready to get a new cat though, but I kept thinking about her. I went in again, and it had a sign saying "adoption pending." Oh well, at least she'd have a nice home. It may have been month or two later when I was on the website, and saw her still on there. "Hmm, that's that pretty tailless tortie...." I went up to the store and there she was back in the rotation (from the Humane Society). That adoption notice had been for another cat! So now, I was faced with a second chance. The employee saw me staring at her, and asked if I wanted to go in and meet her. Uh oh. I went in and sat on the bench and she came out and jumped right up in my lap! She was such a sweetie! I filled out the paperwork that day, but it was the weekend so I had to wait until Monday to clear it with the Humane Society. Of course, I didn't know her little sweet act was hiding that stubborn and willful "tortietude!" ha ha! Still, I love her - she's a great cat!

Last edited:
I have two Tortie sisters. Their mother was a Tiger Exotic and the father was an orange Persian. She birthed 3 Tortie's, I have two. One is on thyroid meds and the other one is healthy. They are both 14 years old and their mother died last year at 13 years old, much younger than my mutt kitties over the years. My Last two who died were 20 and 21. I think pure breads have more issues... unfortunately. Go glad your pretty girl is doing much better!

View attachment 678146

She's lovely! I've actually never heard of the term for this type of cat until this thread. I have two strays I look after (they're too feral to stay inside, but always in the yard), a mother and a daughter. Daughter is a tortie, completely unlike her calico mom. Makes for excellent camouflage.

She's lovely! I've actually never heard of the term for this type of cat until this thread. I have two strays I look after (they're too feral to stay inside, but always in the yard), a mother and a daughter. Daughter is a tortie, completely unlike her calico mom. Makes for excellent camouflage.
Yes, Tortie's don't have the white, like Calico's.

Yup, Tortie is just short for tortoiseshell, which matches ther motteld coat. They are actually just calicos, having three or more colors in their fur, but the distribution is tighter as opposed to in big patches and white parts. Nearly all calicos/torties are female actually, though there are males at 1 in every 3,000 or so.

Also, orange tabbies are mostly males, but it is only about 1 in 5 female. There is also the somewhat rare "torbie" cat, which has multi-color fur with stripes, like this beauty:

1655822554909.png

Yup, Tortie is just short for tortoiseshell, which matches ther motteld coat. They are actually just calicos, having three or more colors in their fur, but the distribution is tighter as opposed to in big patches and white parts. Nearly all calicos/torties are female actually, though there are males at 1 in every 3,000 or so.

Also, orange tabbies are mostly males, but it is only about 1 in 5 female. There is also the somewhat rare "torbie" cat, which has multi-color fur with stripes, like this beauty:

View attachment 678171
I have a "feral" orange tabby that is female. Although she's relying hard to be an inside kitty. Although I don't think she really wants to be parted from her brothers! They protect our property!😉

Oh, those torties & calicos are feisty indeed! It's because they're all female... 😉

Oh, I just fell in love with her when I saw her. Her fur is so pretty! Actually, the story is that I saw her in the PetSmart adoption area shortly after my pervious cat passed. I had noticed becasue the name was similar - Sylvester and Silvian. I wasn't quite ready to get a new cat though, but I kept thinking about her. I went in again, and it had a sign saying "adoption pending." Oh well, at least she'd have a nice home. It may have been month or two later when I was on the website, and saw her still on there. "Hmm, that's that pretty tailless tortie...." I went up to the store and there she was back in the rotation (from the Humane Society). That adoption notice had been for another cat! So now, I was faced with a second chance. The employee saw me staring at her, and asked if I wanted to go in and meet her. Uh oh. I went in and sat on the bench and she came out and jumped right up in my lap! She was such a sweetie! I filled out the paperwork that day, but it was the weekend so I had to wait until Monday to clear it with the Humane Society. Of course, I didn't know her little sweet act was hiding that stubborn and willful "tortietude!" ha ha! Still, I love her - she's a great cat!
Well sometimes fate intervenes and our babies choose us! Some things are meant to be! ♥️

View attachment 678146

Aww she’s a tortie! We have a tortie!

My vet told me once that it's the fiesty ones that live the longest. Our fiesty calico almost made it to 20. Here's hoping your girl has many fiesty years in front of her.
I like to call calicos and torties “spicy” They just have a different attitude. And 100% agree that the extra spicy ones live the longest—almost out of spite. 😆 Our calico who hated everything on Earth except me and had kidney failure (giving her fluids was a treat) lived to 18 and outlasted our other cat who was the sweetest, most gentle cat ever. I thought for sure our calico would go first, but our Siamese-tabby mix developed heart disease and died suddenly several months before her at the age of 17.

View attachment 678171
Yup! Cats need 2 X chromosomes to have the tri color calico pattern. Males can be calico but they would have an extra chromosome and be XXY. They are also infertile because of it. Super rare—I have seen one and it was like seeing a unicorn.

Well, we're not out of the woods yet. While she was quite energetic last night (eaking me up at 3 AM seemingly only to play), this morning she's whining at me again. She peed over the side of the box, which is always a sign of trouble. I'm not going to panic yet, but there is still something up I think.

Last edited:
Well, we're not out of th ewoods yet. While she was quite energetic last night (eaking me up at 3 AM seemingly only to play), this morning she's whining at me again. She peed over the side of the box, which is always a sign of trouble. I'm not going to panic yet, but there is still something up I think.
Awe....you know when something's wrong, even if the tests don't show anything. Just spend extra time with her, you just never know what might happen next.

Awe....you know when something's wrong, even if the tests don't show anything. Just spend extra time with her, you just never know what might happen next.

Yeah. I'm not as worried now considering she was bouncing off the walls last night and is still eating well - in fact yesterday she was just hogging up some food! Still, she's not quite there yet, so I am keeping an eye on her.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter