Shanghai Surprise and Hong Kong Hospitality: A July 2018 China Family Trip Report - VIDEO ADDED p. 3

Discussion in 'Other Lands' started by CaptainCook, Jul 24, 2018.

1. BecBennett

BecBennett Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Your video is really great.

CaptainCook likes this.
  2. ILDisneyfan

ILDisneyfan Earning My Ears

Great report with all the pictures and the video. Thanks for posting!

CaptainCook likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. BecBennett

BecBennett Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Were you happy with just the transfer to the great wall? Or do you think you would have benefitted from a guide? Same question for your other site seeing locations too I guess.

5. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Mouseketeer

Whoops, I missed this earlier, sorry! Yes, we were happy with the transfer only options we chose. We don't like to be bound by someone else's idea of a timeline. I know if you hire a private guide, you can ask them to speed up or slow down as needed. I prefer reading up on what I'm going to see ahead of time, and then wandering around at my own leisure once we get to where we're going.

6. bfaber

bfaber Earning My Ears

7. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Mouseketeer

We only have a limited time in Beijing. What did you like more? Temple of Heaven or Forbidden City? Our schedule right now only has us on the grounds of Temple of Heaven as we will arrive after the buildings are closed. Should we be spending more time there than Forbidden City so we can arrive earlier and get in the buildings?

If I had to pick one, for me, it would be Temple of Heaven. It had more variety of things to see and do with it being located in a park setting with lots of Beijingers hanging around, socializing and exercising, an addition to the beautiful ancient architecture.

I am not positive, but I think if you are there after hours, you will not be able to get into the part of the complex to see the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests, even from the outside. I don't think you have to go into the buildings to enjoy them (we only peeked inside) but you'll at least want to be able to access the buildings from the outside.

@bfaber (not sure why it's not letting me quote you directly!)

8. bfaber

bfaber Earning My Ears

Thanks!!

9. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Mouseketeer

A week or so ago, someone read this thread and sent me some messages about it. Now that I have time after the busy holiday season to reply, I can't find those messages (my Alerts history is clear and I have no Conversations). If that person was you, can you please contact me again - I'd be happy to answer your questions!

10. SWofDisorder

SWofDisorder Expatriate Fun

Hi there
    It was me. I did find a lot of information that I was missing when I read your pre-trip report. I was asking about Mr. Orange which is now sorted also about the trains within China, overnight vs. Highspeed. If you have time, I will recreate my list of questions. Thank you for posting again about not getting my PM.

I have posted about my issues, mostly being Lhasa and getting out. Also what order to put my trip in. It is very similar to yours, take out beautiful mountain village on the river, insert Everest and it very close. We are doing all the tourist things because...we are tourists. I do want to know how to find that beautiful cotton candy? More questions but let me make the list.

Chengdu: Where path did you follow to get to the nursery so fast and ahead of everyone at the Panda Research center?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  11. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Mouseketeer

I sent you an email with some details, but neglected to answer the cotton candy question! We had seen the cotton candy in a Youtube video before we left home too, and were determined to find it. We knew it was in the Muslim Street market, but we didn't know exactly where. The market is not just on Muslim Street, but extends several blocks into the surrounding area. Do not venture into these areas if you're looking for the cotton candy - it's right on Muslim Street, and there were a couple of different vendors selling it. Our mistake was to venture into the smaller alleys right off the bat, when we should have stuck to the main drag to find it faster.

12. cynditech

cynditech Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for sharing all the details for your China trip. We are going this June 2019 and finalizing our plans. Alot of your information really helped us in making decisions. We liked the idea of taking an overnight train on one leg of our trip :)

CaptainCook likes this.
  13. HawaiianMom521

HawaiianMom521 Earning My Ears

Hi Carrie- I'm Norma (NNE from YouTube) I can't PM you. I think I gotta "earn my ears" ;-) the option to "start a conversation" does not appear when I click on your name/profile. In Disboards, I'm HawaiianMom 521.

14. MommaBerd

MommaBerd DIS Veteran

Just read through your fantastic trip report! My family of five did two weeks in Hangzhou/Shanghai last year at the end of March/beginning of April. We were limited to those places as my DH was also conducting business. We just loved being there, and reading your trip report just makes me want to go back and see more of China, especially your last destination. It’s tough, though, managing accommodations with a family of four or more, right?!? I am going to bookmark this TR, in case we are able to go back in a few years! You all did lots of fun things that I’d like to try too! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed TR.

15. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Mouseketeer

Ah, OK. Well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread - I'll check back and reply.

16. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Mouseketeer

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, there are certainly some places where you see the holdover from the one child policy and guest rooms meant for no more than 3 people. We only skimmed the surface of China and loved what we saw. Our visas are good for another 9 years - perhaps one day we'll go back!

MommaBerd likes this.