September W.I.S.H. - Back to Basics

I have been awake since 3:00 AM. The first 30 minutes I genuinely tried to get back to sleep. By 3:30 AM, I was catching up on work emails.

I was up until 12:30 listening to our school board meeting, which included a lengthy (and not very respectful) discussion about an exception form for the PA Dept of Health’s mask mandate in schools...I feel complete burnout on day 7! It’s going to be another really hard year!

Huge :hug:s to you both!

Sorry :hug:
I was up until 12:30 listening to our school board meeting, which included a lengthy (and not very respectful) discussion about an exception form for the PA Dept of Health’s mask mandate in schools. While it’s intended for those who truly have health issues (including mental health issues), it sounds like it’s going to be used as the loophole for anyone to not wear a mask. Basically I got less than 5 hours of sleep and woke up crying. Check on your kids teachers. I feel complete burnout on day 7! It’s going to be another really hard year!
[/QUOTE
Do they not see the news of greater numbers of children getting sick? This frightens me because my grandson is not able to get vaccinated yet. And he would be devastated to stay home again because of close contact.
So sorry you have to deal with this. I’m going to check in with my teaching friends this weekend-and sending hugs to all of you on the frontlines. Have a restful and relaxing weekend. :hug:

DS finally just woke up an hour ago. He slept for 11 hours. He hasn't done that in a long time. He used to be a good sleeper until he became a teenager. He must have really needed it. He is still coughing but it is better but he said his nose is worse today. He also said that he was still tired, but I think is because he just woke up. He is craving coffee this morning. This is new. DH just let him try coffee at the end of July. He really liked it but really hasn't asked for it until today. I am glad that he is still feeling pretty good. I was afraid with how long he slept that he would feel worse.

Today is a work from home day for me. I don't really have anything to do and I am really tired. Not sure why though. I slept good last night. Not having anything to do and being tired is making for a very long day so far. I will go for a walk here soon with DH for lunch so hopefully that wakes me up some.

I did have a really crazy dream last night. DD was going to homecoming at it was at EPCOT and we had to get a plane there last minute. Put it was ok because I was able to use my points so the flights were free. I think this means I really need a trip to Disney. This is the time that we have always gone (the week of Labor Day) so I have been have a ton of pictures popping up in my memories on Facebook and Timehop. I so miss Disney. It has been about 5 year but we had a Disney cruise 3 years ago.

DD texted me this morning that Homecoming will now be outside and that only students at our high school can go. Positive cases are still rising as well as a ton of kids out with this cold going around too. I am glad that they are still trying to have a normal year but I do fear that Homecoming will be canceled. It isn't until October 2nd. That is still a long time for things to get worse.

Sorry to see everyone having a hard time right now. I sincerely hope once vaccines are open to all ages the mask debate quiets a bit. DD is in an IEP class and part of that includes mask desensitization. I am hopeful by the time it "clicks" for her we are in a mask optional/only during flu season place....we shall see. It stinks how stressed we all have to get about colds at this point. The season is fast approaching for colds, dying leaf allergies etc.
My mind is on the weekend! We are going to try to go to the neighborhood fair this weekend and meeting up with some friends to give the mom a "planning wdw trip 101" class. I have pointed her towards these boards...they are helpful and WAY better for your brain just before bed than FB. Embrace the chaos of the dis boards...its not all positive but at least it's mostly positive and educational.
Also bringing DS9 to get measured for a violin tomorrow. His school district offers lessons during the school day if you are able to obtain an instrument. Given my kids genetic makeup odds are one of them will have some sort of musical talent. Just have to figure out which kid it is....

Also bringing DS9 to get measured for a violin tomorrow. His school district offers lessons during the school day if you are able to obtain an instrument. Given my kids genetic makeup odds are one of them will have some sort of musical talent. Just have to figure out which kid it is....

Both DD and DS play instruments. It is mandatory for them in our district to either do band, orchestra, choir or a gen ed music class in 5th grade. DD has some really natural talent. She plays the clarinet and is pretty good without ever practicing. Since the start of the pandemic she has bought herself/Christmas gifts 3 guitars and a keyboard. She has taught herself how to play each of them. She is more like DH. They both can hear a tone and figure it out.

DS plays the trombone. He is good enough to get by but with even practicing would never be great. He is like me. Maybe a bit better. I was happy to play my triangle and cymbals in the band. That was the extent on my music ability.

DD only stayed in marching band to be able to go to Disney next year. This is DS's big thing too but also has fun with the band and wouldn't give it up even if they were not going to Disney.

It stinks how stressed we all have to get about colds at this point. The season is fast approaching for colds, dying leaf allergies etc.

Yes, this is so stressful. It is really bad at the kids school right now. Tons of kids have this cold that DS has. It has started early this year. The doctors office last night was so busy. You can tell they were all stressed and running all over. I have been there a lot with DD over the summer and this is the first time that I have seen the wearing gowns, face masks and shields. I couldn't get a hold of them until about 11 yesterday and the earliest appointment they had was at 4:40pm. They stay until everyone who is sick is seen. I was once there after 6 (this was years ago) for a sick first. They close at 5. I know yesterday they were there well past 5. I felt bad for taking DS in. In normal time I would not have taken him. He is fine. Slight cough now and some congestion. Not even enough for him to want cold meds. I also would have sent him to school. I really only went to get the Covid test. I am so afraid he would get someone else sick.

RSV is also going around here pretty bad. I read an article where the doctors at the children's hospitals were talking about this. They said it is a perfect storm here right now with RSV and Covid in kids. Many of the hospitals have had to send some kids to other places on certain days. We are just a mess around here right now.

Sending hugs to everyone having a tough time with schooling right now. I just cannot understand why anyone in the education arena would not always automatically do the most best thing for kids. Always.

Not so excited it is Friday, wish this week could have been a couple days longer. Currently sitting at the ferry dock on the east side staring at my neighborhood across the water. Looking forward to seeing the girls, although they get pretty upset when I’m away so it might be a day or two till I get cuddles. Thinking I’ll clear out the cupboards back by the stairs to the basement and really think about how I’m using space in the kitchen, to make it more usable. Also need to do a good clearing out in the office. And I’m sure most of the flowers on the porch are gone for, so a fall refresh will be needed there.

All in all a lovely restorative week, which is what I had hoped for.

We've been in school three days and today we had a couple parents call to say their kiddos had colds. Starting quick this year!!

I feel like the last three days I've done nothing but eat junk food! It's not true, but just feels that way because I've had a Hershey's chocolate nugget each day! Which lead to knowing my tummy was there each time. Start of the school year craziness is slowing down somewhat, although my boss looked at my in box today and commented that it hadn't gotten better. I told him it hasn't but my desk is looking somewhat better! He kindly reminded me that his desk looked slightly worse than mine.

This weekend I plan to get some walks in and maybe some more weeding. I made a fairly good dent the other night. I slept in one day so need to do that yoga class Saturday or Sunday. It's nice not to need to be anywhere! This is the only free weekend of the month, we better enjoy it!

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend, too! Remember to make healthy choices!

The bad news is: I stayed at school until 5:20PM trying to meet deadlines, and completely forgot about my MAMMOGRAM appointment at 4:00PM. OMG. School has taken over my life. I never miss appointments. This is NOT me. I am much more responsible than that. I was able to get another appointment a week later, and I asked the call center operator to please apologize for me and my rude behavior.

The good news is: I SLEPT FOR TEN HOURS!!! I feel so well-rested.

More good news: I'm taking DD to Nordstrom Department Store for an alterations appointment, and then we are going shopping...my ultimate escapism! I haven't been in a department store since her last fashion show at Lord & Taylor in mid March 2020. I'm so excited to see all of those beautiful clothes hanging on beautifully merchandised racks...and the mannequins! (I know I sound crazy, but places like this are my Mother Ship lol).

I’m Doc and got 6/12. I can’t even remember the last time I saw Snow White.

Got on the scale this morning… plus 2. Not that bad but with all the walking I was hoping I might come out even.
I kind of signed up for this cleaning challenge which started yesterday. Each week a different room and thus week is the bathroom so I started with a few things in there this morning, instead of the kitchen. Surely in a week I can get it totally sorted out.

Happy Self-Care Sunday!
This week, I really was concerned about my mental health. To the point that I talked to my husband about seeking help. Yesterday Friday night, we spent time with my sister & brother-in-law. Saturday I did my workout, spent extra time reading the Bible & praying, went back to my sisters to play with my nephew, watched Snow White while working on a weekly meal plan and ordered groceries. I am feeling much better! But that helped me realized how important self care is. So what are you planning to do for Self-Care Sunday?

Nothing unusual in the form of self-care today: my normal coffee and TV time this morning, taking the cats out for some sunshine in a bit, and watching fun YouTube videos while I walk on the treadmill later.

In between, I have some shopping planned (but an actual list of items, not "retail therapy" 😆 ).

I have been working more on decluttering lately, which I feel falls under self-care in a way. - I'm working my making my environment more peaceful and serene. 🧘‍♀️

May go back to the arts and crafts fair later, depends if any of the kids want to go. Football is on later so we'll have that on on some TV somewhere. Have to figure out tomorrow's dinner today as I have a PTA training session tomorrow night in person...really wish it had been zoom so I could help get the kids ready for bed but no dice.

Well our shopping trip was a bit disappointing. It was a longer drive than expected...I live within 15 minutes of two large shopping malls, so after the 45 minute trek, I knew we wouldn't be coming often. Then when we finally arrived, there were signs that read: If you don't pay to park, you will be towed or booted. ***?! In my 56 years, I have never paid to park in any shopping or outlet mall. I had to download an app and pay $11 so I could park my car for the day. Imagine needing to run in just to pick up something...That started me on the wrong foot. This whole process took 10 minutes because I had never done it before, so she was late for her alterations appointment. Once we were inside the actual mall, I told her to run ahead, and I would catch up to her. As I walked, I was impressed with the stores, Bloomingdales and other high end stores and restaurants...definitely a step up from my mall with Penneys, Macy's, and Target. I started to get excited again. DD was able to get alterations, and she smartly asked them to ship her clothes when they were done to avoid having to come back just to pick up her clothes. She had picked up on my salty attitude. It was lunchtime, so we went to a very nice restaurant where I ordered a French Dip. Food, service, and views from the floor to ceiling windows were sublime. I was warming up to the mall again. We found out that Nordstrom validates parking if you get their credit card, so DD opened one. She bought black leather pants which flattered her figure. There were lots of very stylish sitting areas where I waited while she shopped till she dropped. We picked up some faux fur throws and began searching for the Women's plus clothing area. They don't have one in store, only online. The saleswoman we asked pointed out in her words, "the oversized clothing by this designer." "Oversized." Let that sink in. So because I do not fit in sizes 0-14, my clothes are considered to be oversized. WOW. Thanks for putting me in my place. I have not been, and I hate this term, "fat-shamed" like that in a store ever. Beyond being insulted by someone who easily could have sold me my entire fall/winter wardrobe yesterday if they carried my size, I am very surprised that they are not more like Lord & Taylor who catered to plus sizes and petites. I find it discriminatory that they only offer standard sizes. Anyway, when she was done in Nordstrom, we walked through the mall looking at the various stores, and we headed to Bloomingdales. Bloomingdales was the same, standard sizes only. That really took the wind out of my sails. I'm tired of shopping online. I want to walk into a lovely department store and buy beautiful Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, Michael Korrs, etc. Even though I prefer to buy things on sale, I would pay full price at this point, just for the experience.

I will go back there to shop for DD, but this place really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
View attachment 604167
View attachment 604168
Happy Self-Care Sunday!
This week, I really was concerned about my mental health. To the point that I talked to my husband about seeking help. Yesterday Friday night, we spent time with my sister & brother-in-law. Saturday I did my workout, spent extra time reading the Bible & praying, went back to my sisters to play with my nephew, watched Snow White while working on a weekly meal plan and ordered groceries. I am feeling much better! But that helped me realized how important self care is. So what are you planning to do for Self-Care Sunday?
((HUGS)). The way our jobs are right now, we really need to focus on our mental health and self care. I will not hesitate to take a mental health day once in a while...I don't care if I get called into the principal's office to be "counseled" about my attendance. I work my a$$ off, and if I need a DAY occasionally, too bad and too sad. I have my physical on the 21st, and that will be my first mental health day.

I am here for you 100%. Reach out if you need me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!