September/Oct 1 2021 DISmeet WDW 50th

Got checked into the KOA- now we’re at ICON park- did the wax museum and the aquarium- now we’re getting food at Ole Red- cool place but very loud! Still have to do the “big wheel” but we want to do that when it’s dark. 607443

Last edited:

Made it to Jennings KOA, finally. Traffic was ridiculous everywhere.
@garneska, DW finally understands why you run.
Traffic in and around, and well anywhere near Atlanta is like a barroom brawl in an insane asylum, and I've been in a few of the 1st mentioned. Settling in, dining (having a much needed/deserved cocktail and some shut eye

Last edited:

Day 2 Fort Check-in

I got to the Fort just a few minutes before @tigger92662. I had selected that we would arrive at 8A in the online check in but we got our text around 10:10A that our site was ready. I’m in 501 and he’s in 502. I would say the fort is maybe 3/4 at the moment.

We got the camper setup and the decorations out. For those that remember, my DW hand made and painted all of these except for the 3 hitchhiking ghosts and the caretaker/dog.

We ended up having to rent a golf cart from the Fort since ours didn’t get fixed. Every golf cart rental gets a new Fort magnet.

After we both got setup we all went over to GP at WL. The views can’t be beat. The boat still isn’t running between the resorts so you still use the yellow line bus to get to WL.

The resort entrances all have a special doormat for the 50th.

We came back and swung through the Meadows Trading Post. Not much different, very little 50th merch. They do have yet another new version of the tire cover.

All of the cast members we have encountered today have been super nice and friendly. Definitely feels like “being home”.

We got back to our site and finished setting up and then went to TE for dinner. I’ll roll to the next post for my TE review.

Last edited:
Day 2 Trails End Dinner

As everyone is aware, TE is currently family style instead of a buffet. We were seated quickly for our 6P reservation but, once seated, it took quite a while to get service. I don’t blame it on the CM though, you could tell they were grossly understaffed.

Your first course is a mixed salad with a bacon vinaigrette dressing and a bread basket with hushpuppies, corn bread, and goat cheese biscuits. The bread also came with honey butter and pimento cheese. The salad dressing, hush puppies, and cornbread were really good.

The main course comes with all you care to eat chicken (rotisserie is the default, you have to ask for fried), brisket, sausage, fingerling potatoes, green beans, and corn on the cob. All of it was very tasty and we ended up ordering additional sausage it was so good.

Last was desert, a sundae in a plastic cowboy hat that they could have honestly just kept. It came with chocolate covered bacon (yea it’s as awful as it sounds), whip cream, 2 bland sugar cookies, vanilla and strawberry ice cream, and a brownie on bottom. It was honestly some of the worst I’ve ever eaten at Disney. The brownie was bland, ice cream meh, and the cookies tasted like cardboard according to DW.

Was I think $60~ for the 2 of us and everything was great except the sundae.

We are now back at our site. The temperature is 78 and a light breeze. Some bugs but not horrible. An absolutely beautiful night. Here’s a view of the decorations at night.

MK day 1 for us is in the morning.

Arc, at Trails End, did you see anyone taking leftover food out in a to-go box? I had read somewhere on the DIS that they were allowing that with any family style food that was left on the table.

Site decorations look great!

Ed

Got set up and then off to WL for drinks and snacks at Geyser Point with @Bishoparc
Had the brisket and cheese with chips
20210926_142010_copy_490x493.jpg

Very tasty. Went back to trailer and.rounded up more decorations.
Then it was off to Trails End for dinner.
As arc stated, food was yummy, dessert, meh.

Arc, at Trails End, did you see anyone taking leftover food out in a to-go box? I had read somewhere on the DIS that they were allowing that with any family style food that was left on the table.

Site decorations look great!

Ed
Hi Ed, as long as you don’t ask for “refills” on the food, you can get it to go (is the official answer.) They’ve given us to go boxes at Whispering Canyon a few times even when we did reorder.

Day 3 Magic Kingdom Morning

I write this post with a heavy heart as I got the message while at MK this morning that my Uncle had passed away. He was my mom’s brother and his wife had passed a month before my mom last year.

I intended to make “rope drop” this morning but had slept in a little bit. We got down to the boat dock this morning around 9 and they actually held the boat for us to get on as we were the last ones coming down the dock. Every CM we’ve encountered this trip has been absolutely amazing and in true Disney fashion.

Most of the wait times have stayed relatively short (under an hour for all, under 30 for most.) The Mickey Head pumpkin wreaths have been replaced with Cinderella Carriage pumpkins for the 50th. The lamp post are adorned with gold and luminescent accents as well.

@bama_ed, your crew was up on the train station singing when we arrived.

We took a trip through the emporium to look at all the 50th merchandise (more on that later) and then headed over to the Haunted Mansion. Short 10 minute wait but we encountered one of the most dashing HM Butlers I’ve ever seen. As many may be aware, Disney has relaxed their requirements on tattoos, piercings,etc. Phoenix was totally rocking the HM gothic butler look complete with bat earrings. Good for him, he totally looked and acted the part.

From there we walked right on to BTM, Pirates, People Mover, CoP, and the LB Riverboat all before lunch. All walk on. Lunch was at Liberty Tree Tavern and was fantastic as always. I apologize for not taking pics of the food but this was right when I had learned of my uncle’s passing.

The Castle is looking fantastic all ready for the 50th. There is a gorgeous stage setup so we are guessing something big is happening on Friday.

For those that know us, we had tried unsuccessfully over the last year to get them to sell us annual passes. Ours had lapsed a year because I was traveling so much for work and was busy with other activities so we weren’t within the window that they would renew or sell us new ones. We had tried last weekend to upgrade to an AP for this trip but they said they couldn’t guarantee our park pass for the 50th would stay so we didn’t do it. @tigger92662 sent me a text at lunch advising he had spoken with guest services at Epcot and supposedly this was no longer an issue. So off DW and I went to guest services at MK. Sure enough, we were FINALLY able to upgrade to an AP and our park passes stayed.

From there we went into the Emporium and bought matching shirts and some other items for the 50th (I’ll post pics in a later post.)

Headed over to the boat launch and took the boat back to the Fort to take a rest. The boat is having to stop at WL on the way as they are down one boat. Along the way, Captain Bobby showed us a tree with shoes hanging on it. Every time a watercraft pilot retires, they take their shoes off and thrown them on the tree as they go by. I had never seen or heard of this before.

When we got back to our camper we had an envelope waiting on our steps. It contained 4 passes to WW of Sports and 4 rounds of putt putt along with 2 luggage tags!

Going to rest our feet a bit more then head back for the fireworks. PS the weather has been absolutely AMAZING. Mid 80’s with a wonderful breeze. So far a fantastic trip.

Last edited:
@Bishoparc sorry to hear about your uncle. Been a tough year for you or make that 2 years. Hang in there.

glad you are still having a good time. Since you got your APs you know a few of us will be there in Jan 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter