Selfie sticks no longer allowed at Walt Disney World

Either way... doesn't really matter to me, between Memorymaker and "arms length" selfies we always have tons of pictures.
And I think this is the very bottom line. Hundreds of millions of guests have passed through the gates for over 40 years and people have survived just fine with "old school" photography coping strategies. Self Important Sticks are not a necessity.

I don't think there's any more of a danger factor than someone using an umbrella.

I use an umbrella to block the sun from time to time at WDW. I can still see where I'm going and I don't stare at the umbrella adoring myself as I walk. It There's a huge difference between selfie sticks and umbrellas. And while one can be obnoxious with an umbrella, it's not the physical danger that selfie sticks are.

These things are the worst invention of all time. The person who invented them should be placed in a burlap sack and beaten with reeds.

Snark :confused:... I was being sincere, I never would have even posted my original post if I knew people were doing it on the rides. Geeez whats your problem?
I took it as sincere. But just scroll through the entirety of this thread and you will see plenty of photos of this very thing.

Snark :confused:... I was being sincere, I never would have even posted my original post if I knew people were doing it on the rides. Geeez whats your problem?
I don't have a problem, I simply made a comment, and apparently misunderstood your reply as sarcastic. My apologies.

I use an umbrella to block the sun from time to time at WDW. I can still see where I'm going and I don't stare at the umbrella adoring myself as I walk. It There's a huge difference between selfie sticks and umbrellas. And while one can be obnoxious with an umbrella, it's not the physical danger that selfie sticks are.

ACTUALLY...I nearly lost an eye several times to someone with an umbrella. Been poked in the face many times.

Wow I never even thought of that :eek: people do it on the rides....that I did not see. Holding a stick out in front of you on a moving ride seems like a recipe for tragedy.
Yes, and a huge inconvenience to everyone!

I'm not exactly an expert on ride stoppages, but it would not remotely surprise me to learn that (some) ride sensors can't tell the difference between a stick and a person that got out of their seat.

Doing quick search, it sounds like three common types exist: ultrasonic wave, laser beam, and infrared.

The first two types emit either ultrasound waves or a laser, until something disrupts the detection of the waves or laser.

I don't really want rides stopped because some dork stuck a stick where it doesn't belong.

Hmmm, until now I never understood the reason people like them so much. I just had an epiphany! ;)

Actually we use umbrellas also. As long as your cognizant of whose around you I never thought umbrellas were a problem. From what I experienced recently I didn't see anyone with selfie sticks that looked like that were endangering anyone, which is why I compared them to umbrellas. Apparently the sticks must be a danger.

Yes, and a huge inconvenience to everyone!

I'm not exactly an expert on ride stoppages, but it would not remotely surprise me to learn that (some) ride sensors can't tell the difference between a stick and a person that got out of their seat.

Doing quick search, it sounds like three common types exist: ultrasonic wave, laser beam, and infrared.

The first two types emit either ultrasound waves or a laser, until something disrupts the detection of the waves or laser.

I don't really want rides stopped because some dork stuck a stick where it doesn't belong.

Hmmm, until now I never understood the reason people like them so much. I just had an epiphany! ;)

Yes doing it on the rides seems crazy, if the thing got lodged or bumped on something as your moving, weird things can happen...someone could really get hurt.

Me either...we were there a couple of weeks ago and people were using them and I didn't see any problem whatsoever. We had heard the rumor that they were going to ban them and we did even notice a sign in BTMRR queue prohibiting them. But, I don't see what the big deal is. I don't think there's any more of a danger factor than someone using an umbrella.

they were likely using them responsibly. However not all do. And they can't take the risk as they can't be shutting down rides because someone takes them out of their pocket once the ride starts. It is a case of a few ruining things for all.

selfie sticks still allowed...you just have to have THIS type:

selfie.jpg

I know I'm going to be in the minority but I disagree with this decision. I 100% support not allowing the sticks on rides. But I've never personally had any issues with anyone else's selfie sticks (will they also ban the Go Pro sticks then?), and personally I think the sticks can be handy when you want a group photo that has more than 3 people in it in front of something. The stick allows more of the background than your arm can reach for, and I think they should be allowed in those cases. Sure, there are idiots who might walk around with them not paying attention (though I have yet to witness this personally), but banning them entirely from the parks in my opinion is lame and unfair to those who properly use the device.

I know I'm going to be in the minority but I disagree with this decision. I 100% support not allowing the sticks on rides. But I've never personally had any issues with anyone else's selfie sticks (will they also ban the Go Pro sticks then?), and personally I think the sticks can be handy when you want a group photo that has more than 3 people in it in front of something. The stick allows more of the background than your arm can reach for, and I think they should be allowed in those cases. Sure, there are idiots who might walk around with them not paying attention (though I have yet to witness this personally), but banning them entirely from the parks in my opinion is lame and unfair to those who properly use the device.

I remember a long-ago time--way back in like 2013 ;) --when the answer to group photos was asking someone if they could take it for you. I've even been known to volunteer to be the photographer in a few of these, especially at WDW.

Any word on if this ban includes hand/grenade grips for GoPros?

Any handgrip under 6 inches that doesn't extend should be OK, i would hope. The wristbands on them make them safer than holding just the camera...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter