Sarah's Savings Plans & Budget Thread - September 2020

Don’t ignore the fact that *free* dining requires you to pay the rack rack for your room. So, it’s not really free. It’s just a marketing ploy that makes people think they’re getting a great deal. It may still be a better deal for you but make sure that you’re taking everything into consideration.
They are staying at an All Star Resort so without any doubt at all, the free dining (if they could get it) is the better deal even paying rack rates. A 30% room discount is about the best they could hope for and that would only save $45/night off of a value room of $150 a night. Three people couldn't eat 2 meals each per day plus 2 snacks per day on Disney property on the $45 a night room savings. I guess you could try by buying one meal at lunch and 1 meal at dinner and splitting it 3 ways and getting no snacks or splitting a snack 3 ways or some other crazy plan. My rule of thumb is that if you have at least 3 in your party and are staying at a moderate or below (and are a family who eats normally and do not share meals or skip meals and such), the free dining is the better deal over a room discount. If you are staying Deluxe, take a closer look as those room discounts add up cause the rooms may be $400-$500/night.

I'm the opposite - if it was a short trip (or a first trip) I would definitely drop the hoppers, but with a longer trip I would keep them. We don't usually get hoppers but I could see how by day 7-8 we would have done everything we "had" to do in each park. So the last few days we could go to one park in the morning and go to another at night, even if it is just to Epcot for dinner.
I like your thinking. Those last few evenings could be used to go to wherever you want to eat plus you might be able to snag a fastpass of one of your favorite rides at a different park. Park hopping doesn't really impact the "time" factor for us because we usually go back to the resort at some point for a couple hours to rest or swim or avoid a storm anyway.

Update #4 - We're officially booked! Our estimates weren't too bad - about $400 short of what we had, which for a trip around the $10k mark, isn't too bad.

Our Trip in a nutshell: We're a 2 adult, 1 kiddo family. This is our 3rd trip to WDW as a trio, 6th for me. 14 nights at All Star Music, 10 day non-hopper tickets, Disney Dining Plan, flights on SW from PVD to MCO and money set aside for things like souvenirs, tips, MNSSHP tickets, drinks outside the DDP, Photo Pass and other additional stuff.

Where I'm at for savings:

Total Estimated Cost $9,770.00
- Package rates for 2020, no additional discounts as of yet
Amount Paid $200.00
Disney Gift Cards $1,725.00
Vacation Bank Account $1,267.38
Walmart Gift Cards $130.02
Disney Visa Reward Dollars $63.10
Landry's Gift Cards $0.00
Amazon Gift Cards $0.00
Uber Gift Cards $0.00
Southwest Gift Cards $0.00
Total Left To Save $6,384.50

We've got another $80 in Walmart gift cards in transit, putting us at about 35% of our total savings target with 14 months to go. My income slows down in the summer, so I've turned off the auto-save for my vacation bank account. We had a yard sale this past weekend, and the $200 earned from that is paying off the deposit we made today with my wife's Disney Visa.

Looking at Southwest Airlines historical patterns our flights would be coming out around November/December this year. So, in August we'll swap over to cashing out Swagbucks to Amazon cards, which we will then use to buy Southwest gift cards. Right now, all our SBs go to Walmart gift cards to buy discounted Disney Gift Cards at Amazon.

Doing the 'just booked our Disney vacation' happy dance!!!

Wow you guys are moving right along...

I saw where you are looking to score some discounted Landrys GC.... are you a Landry's member?, it is 25 bucks to become a member then you get the 25 back off your bill or your choice of a meal, as well you get 25 for your birthday, and you can earn points toward meal... Points can be earned at all Landry's restaurants...

I bring this up as... if you are going around your birthday or your wife's birthday you could make this work for you, put the card in who-ever's name the birthday fall into your time frame... For us DH has it in his name as he use it for business lunches, and we look to see when we are out and about or traveling if there is a Landry's restaurant near by that we want to try out, and the plus side is the points add up more quickly this way... Check out all the Landry's restaurants in your area... and see if this will help you along as well... Plus I know that with the Landry's member can get seated without a reservation, we took our Grandson to Disney Spring at Christmas to check out all the Christmas tree trail, and he wanted to eat with the Dino's... DH went up and asked, told them we were Landry's members show our card... and we were sent inside and got a table quite quickly... so this might be something for you to check out to see if it would be worth it for you...

Another thought was BJ Warehouse offer's Discounted gift cards... and I have scored some really good one's there... while we are members, my friend said she bought some on-line for Disney and they are not members so not really sure how that would work out... but you might want to check to see if this might work for you...

We thought about doing the Landry's card thing. We're going in Sept, but my birthday is in April and the wife's in Feb. And, the closest Landry's to us is a Rainforest Cafe that's around a 4 hour drive. 😂 It is something we're keeping in mind for future trips if we go during those months.

We thought about doing the Landry's card thing. We're going in Sept, but my birthday is in April and the wife's in Feb. And, the closest Landry's to us is a Rainforest Cafe that's around a 4 hour drive. 😂 It is something we're keeping in mind for future trips if we go during those months.
The closest Landry's is 2 hours away from us ;) I still got the card a few years ago and while it is in DH's name (his birthday worked out for the trip we first took when I got the card) I've gone w/o him on his bday month and they still give me the reward. I have never had them check id.

It paid for itself with the welcome reward so any bday reward is a nice bonus. It also comes in handy because you don't need reservations for their restaurants if you have the card. They will get you the next available table - it is one less ADR I have to make and worry about keeping. Love Yak & Yeti at AK!

I like your thinking. Those last few evenings could be used to go to wherever you want to eat plus you might be able to snag a fastpass of one of your favorite rides at a different park. Park hopping doesn't really impact the "time" factor for us because we usually go back to the resort at some point for a couple hours to rest or swim or avoid a storm anyway.

DH and I are AP's holders, and even when we were living out of state we always went for the PH's option.... We love the option of heading into another park after a mid day break.... lots of the time it is for just dinner, and the night-time show in whatever park we headed into for dinner.... sometimes when DD was living at home we would make a game of it, trying to hit all 4 parks... and ride the mountains... character photos... photos in front of the all the Christmas tree... we would each choose a ride, ride those 3, then move on to the next park...trying to make to all 4 parks in one evening... I will say it can be done... you just have to use Fast passes, and group the rides in the same area... and you better have your game face on... another favorite during the holidays is hitting all the deluxe resorts up to check out the Christmas Tree, and get snacks... looking for hidden Mickeys...

Do you have your tickets already? Undercover tourist has very good prices...$464.79 for a ten day non hopper adult, $443.36 for a child's ten day non hopper including taxes. They sometimes have even better rates for Mousesavers Newsletter subscribers.

9-day Park Hopper Tickets $1,612.00 10-day Non-Hopper tickets $1519.00
14-nights All Star Music - Standard $1,960.00
Photo Pass $150.00
14-nights Disney Dining Plan $2,510.00
PVD to MCO RT Flights on Southwest $900.00
Merchandise $700.00
Alcohol $420.00
Tips $325.00
Pre-Flight Hotel Room $90.00
Tours $90.00
3rd Party Stroller Rental $100.00
MNSSHP Tickets $250.00
Touring Plans Subscription $16.00
Travel Insurance $160.00

So that adds up to just under $9300 $9200.
Thoughts on various line items -- playing devil's advocate on some things:
- With a stroller-aged child, I might be willing to pop for an upgraded room at the All-Stars. Not to get a nicer room, but to be closer to the pool and bus stop. That type of convenience is worth a price.
- 15 nights in a standard hotel room, especially with a child, can get old. Something we did when our children were small: We had a small pop-up tent, which could be set up indoors, and we'd set that up for the kids' spot ... it gives them a little space of their own, leaving a bit of privacy for, um, adult activities or even just watching whatever on TV. Also, we used to buy glow sticks for the kids in the hotel room; they were each allowed to take one to bed, and they were "just enough" light in a strange room.
- With a two-week trip planned, I'd suggest you add a line for laundry.
- Also, don't underestimate the total cost of all those little things you need to bring: Sunscreen, bandaids, Tylenol, juice boxes.
- I'm not a big fan of the dining plan -- it's not really "free"; you're paying for it in the cost of the room, and eating out every meal with a small child gets old. Have you checked menus on All Ears /added up the cost of the meals you'd likely buy without the plan? Consider that you can slash your food budget by providing your own breakfast in the room. Also, especially with a child, a pizza delivered to the room can be an easy dinner for everyone, and it's only going to be $20 or so -- if you have any "points" saved up, it could even be near-free.
- That's a lot of merchandise. When our kids were very small, we decided we'd be a no-souvenir family. We explained to the kids that skipping the gift store was one way we were able to vacation 5-6 times per year -- and they understood. But it wasn't just the money; it's buying stuff seems to add a layer of consumerism that we didn't like. Especially when kids have X amount of their own money to spend, it can take on a life of its own, and time in the gift stores can seem to become the focus of the trip. By bypassing this, we focused on family and experiences. I have never been sorry for that choice.
- I personally could skip the alcohol and be perfectly happy.
- I see you're renting a stroller. You won't need your own stroller to get through the airport? I don't know -- we've never flown with small kids. Would ordering an inexpensive stroller from Amazon /abandoning it at the end of the trip be less than $100?
- With 10 days in the parks, do you really need a separate ticket to the Halloween party too? That's a very expensive couple hours.
- Have you factored in costumes?
- Do you need the trip insurance? If -- God forbid -- you were unable to travel last minute (and, yeah, it's happened to me -- it was a cruise), what sunk costs would be lost?
- I'd add a small bit to decorate your Magic Bands. You're going to wear them constantly -- give them some personality.
- Do you need a night-before-flight hotel room?
- I don't see a line for ground transportation to /from the airport OR parking at the airport.
got pull ups for my kiddo at a 2% discount.
This is a very different kind of cost-saving suggestion: Ditch the pull-ups. They're the devil. They cost so much more than diapers, and -- in reality -- they grossly prolong potty training because the child isn't uncomfortable sitting in a wet /soiled pull up. Either stick with diapers for now, or go with real "big kid underwear".
We had a yard sale this past weekend, and the $200 earned from that is paying off the deposit we made today with my wife's Disney Visa.
That's both wonderful and horrible.

Wonderful in that you turned no-longer-used-things into cash. Horrible in that you had so many no-longer-used-things around the house that you could turn them into $200. Pennies on the original-purchase dollar. Aim to reduce the number of things you buy that're useful short-term, and you'll keep more of those original-purchase dollars in your pocket.

Admittedly, though, this is harder with a small child who outgrows clothing and toys. But it's good advice when it comes to small household goods, adult clothing, and more.
Probably more expensive if everyone gets an AP. But if 1 adult gets an AP, it would include the memory maker, plus discounts on merchandise & dining not covered by the dining plan. Also possible discounts on the party tickets & tours. Something to check into.
Without having done the math, that sounds like a pretty good plan.
On Landry's if you become a member it's 25 dollars to join then you get the 25... back on your first visit towards the meal... then you earn points... as well you get 25.00 automatically for your birthday... and you can walk up and get seated right away, at T-REX and Rainforest as a Landry's member... you will have to show your card or a valid number to the host or hostess... So I would check on Landry's restaurants in your area and see if this might benefit you.
Don't underestimate the "being seated right away" benefit. And the coupons they send you -- is it just for birthdays? -- they'll take even if they're expired.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate the "being seated right away" benefit. And the coupons they send you -- is it just for birthdays? -- they'll take even if they're expired.
[/QUOTE]

The longest that we have every waited when we just walked up... was about 15 to 20 minutes... which is about normal with ADR's... so pretty fair... and the birthday 25.00 is just for that month... not unless something has changed...
DH's birthday is next month so 25.00 off the bill.. plus we are right getting another 25.00 in points... We are planning on taking our 4 year old sweet little grandson to go eat with the dino's in the next couple of weeks... so we should hit for another 25.00

I agree with adding in for laundry... and planning on doing it at least twice... maybe 3 times... I pack tide pods with us when we are traveling and will need to do laundry... and a tide pen to help with any stains... bring them and that will save some money....

It's totally up to your family... and we like our souvenirs... so plan for your family...

We used pull ups when in the parks more for the what if's and emergency... some times when they are that little... with all the excitement it's to late before they even realize that they need to go... He did really good, we did have two oop's... one during the parade and fireworks... and once when he was napping... which was really good considering they had just start potty training him... Do what you are comfortable with...

For the stroller rental.... good choice, a nice comfortable place for the kids especially when they are over tired... It is totally worth it.... Now for the airport, you can get a small umbrella stroller for next to nothing... this is what we did when we traveled with little kids... as well you can use it for pool time instead of trying to hold them, and the pool bag and such... I was in an airport and DD wasn't feeling good, so I am holding her, and thankfully I had the umbrella stroller.... I carry a cross-body purse so I have it on one side and her on the other... so I put the diaper/day bag... and her goody bag in the stroller seat and was able to move around just fine pushing it with one hand... DH pulled the 2 roll on... - Plus we got delayed in Dallas, so we laid her in the umbrella stroller, so she could sleep easily... I did purchase a nice one, with a compartment underneath, and was able to adjust the back to almost laying down... We used it quite a bit and she out grew it, then I passed it on to a friend... and she used it till it fell apart... so for 45.00 buck I got 5 years, and my friend got about 8 or 9 years use... Another thought you can check out local kids consignment shops, and possible pick one up, or even less...

I agree with adding in for laundry... and planning on doing it at least twice... maybe 3 times... I pack tide pods with us when we are traveling and will need to do laundry... and a tide pen to help with any stains... bring them and that will save some money....
Yeah, I wouldn't pay the exaggerated price for Tide pods at home (I actually make my own homemade detergent -- love it, and it's a minor savings), but I will pay for that small convenience when I'm carrying things to a laundry room.
Also, an M&M minis tube is perfect for saving quarters.
We used pull ups when in the parks more for the what if's and emergency... some times when they are that little... with all the excitement it's to late before they even realize that they need to go
If you're in the parks with a newly-potty-trained child, I agree that pull ups are the lesser of two evils, but I was saying they prolong potty training at home.

Thoughts on various line items -- playing devil's advocate on some things:

WOW! Thank you for the effort putting this list together. We've actually taken into account all of the things mentioned - this isn't our first Disney rodeo. ;) I didn't list all our line-item expenses as it's a BIG list. Keep in mind that we're spending money on things that someone who is looking for the cheapest holiday is not. This is our splurge!

But just to answer a few of your Qs as others might want to know:

Yes, we've priced out the DDP, and it works for our family and our dining styles / desired restaurants.

Our "Merch" line also includes things like sunscreen, moleskin, after-sun, etc. We *are* a souvenir family - and more than just our son will be picking up goodies. We like to get T-shirts, pins, mugs, ears, and other bits and bobs that end up pretty much costing what we've laid out.

Our Disney vacations is one of the few times of the year when both my wife and I can drink at the same time outside our home (designated drivers and all), so it's deffo not getting skipped.

Is the MNSSHP necessary? No. Is it wanted? Absolutely! I'm making our costumes - can't wait to see how they all come out.

The pre-flight hotel room isn't *necessary*. But, we either pay for off-site airport parking (that costs more than the hotel room), pay for a cab to the airport (again, with us living far away from the airport, it'll cost more) or, begging a family member to get up before 3am to drive us there. So, we shell out the $90, and get a free ride to the airport hotel from my Dad the afternoon before, and enjoy starting our vacation that much sooner.

We did look into APs - it's not a good plan for us.

If I were looking to make the cheapest Disney vacation possible, I'd probably shave at least a third off our budget. But, that's not our goal.

For those that DO like the updated expense list, here is it:

10-day Non-Hopper Tickets $1,535.00
14-nights All Star Music - Standard $2,258.58
Photo Pass $170.00
14-nights Disney Dining Plan $2,611.42
PVD to MCO Flights (Round Trip) $900.00
Merchandise $700.00
Alcohol $420.00
Tips $325.00
Pre-Flight Hotel Room $90.00
Tours $90.00
Stroller $100.00
Halloween Party Tickets $250.00
Touring Plans Subscription $0.00
Travel Insurance $160.00
Henna Tattoos for Sarah & Teej $90.00
Pre-Bought Pins for Trading $25.00
Magic Bands $30.00

Last edited:
Sounds like you have it under control! I didn't read all comments. So these may have been mentioned. Just 2 thoughts here. 1. Dining plans includes alcohol. So that is 2 drinks a day per adult. You may be able to cut down some of that $450.

2. What about credit card points for the hotel or flying? If you dont have any or are curious about cc churning, you may want to read that thread. You have plenty of time.

Keep us posted and have a fabulous trip.

I did have a thought....

Did you think about getting just one Annual Pass, for just you or your wife... We have some friends that live out of state, and she always gets the AP, for herself, then they use it for discount on room only, as well as discount on merchandise and out of pocket dinning, plus the photo pass is included... She comes to Orlando for business a few times a year, and always hits the parks in her free time... Just a suggestion I'm throwing out there...

Sounds like you have it under control! I didn't read all comments. So these may have been mentioned. Just 2 thoughts here. 1. Dining plans includes alcohol. So that is 2 drinks a day per adult. You may be able to cut down some of that $450.

2. What about credit card points for the hotel or flying? If you dont have any or are curious about cc churning, you may want to read that thread. You have plenty of time.

Keep us posted and have a fabulous trip.

Oh - I don't think we took the dining plan into account when we did the alcohol budget - and you're right, it's probably over-estimated:

Two drinks per sit-down meal time + three drinks per quick service meal time (as we're getting kiddo adult-sized quick service meals) = five drinks per day included.

With an average drink price of around $12+ (we're cocktail drinkers) that $420 is about 35 drinks, or around 2.5 per day.

So, we're looking at around 7 drinks per day between the two of us, and yeah - that's a lot. My first thought was to reduce the budget down to get a more accurate level. BUT - I'm thinking that we'll get some souvenir glasses along the way (yay Trader Sam's Grog Grotto!) that'll knock the prices up. And I'd wager that we get kiddo a freezy-kiddo-drink here and there outside meals and I've not accounted for that anywhere. So while $420 is more than likely an overbudget, it's not so out of whack it'll throw off things for us.

I think for now, I'll leave that line item as it is. But thank you for the input - it does let me know I've got more budget-wiggle-room than I thought I had!

New month, new update!

Update #5

Our Trip in a nutshell: We're a 2 adult, 1 kiddo family. This is our 3rd trip to WDW as a trio, 6th for me. 14 nights at All Star Music, 10 day non-hopper tickets, Disney Dining Plan, flights on SW from PVD to MCO and money set aside for things like souvenirs, tips, MNSSHP tickets, drinks outside the DDP, Photo Pass and other additional stuff.

Total Estimated Cost $9,755.00
Amount Paid $200.00
Disney Gift Cards $2,225.00
Vacation Bank Account $1,272.26
Walmart Gift Cards $180.04
Disney Visa Reward Dollars $67.53
Landry's Gift Cards $0.00
Amazon Gift Cards $106.43
Uber Gift Cards $0.00
Southwest Gift Cards $0.00
Total Left To Save $5,703.74

As of this post, we are 41.5% of our total Disney budget of $9755, with 13 months go to. That means we need to save $438 per month if we aren’t getting free dining, or $292 per month if we are. We're going into August with a few thousand swag bucks pending. So, if we keep up with the rate we’re going at, we’ll hit that goal without too much extra pushing given how Swagbucks traditionally has better deals come the fall.

This week, we’ve shifted our methods, and are now churning our SBs into Amazon gift cards, and we’re up to $106 so far. These will be used to buy Southwest Airlines gift cards, as we estimate the flights for our timeframe will be released at the start of 2020. Once we have around $900 in Amazon cards banked for those airline gift cards, we’ll be changing back to our Walmart churning.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter