?s about 1 year old with a seat on plane

SmallWorld71

DIS Veteran
I'm asking this one for a relative - my "baby" is 9. Anyway...

I have a relative who is hoping to travel to SW Florida next month to visit family. It would be her, her husband and their baby who will be 19 months old at the time of travel. She is young enough to be a lap baby, but they were thinking of getting her her own seat to make things easier.

So, her question is this, if they purchase a ticket (and thus a seat) for her, is she then required to sit in the seat for take-off, landing, whenever seat-belt light is on etc... or is she allowed to be held since she could qualify as a lap baby?

Also, would you recommend she bring the car seat on the plane?

If they didn't purchase a ticket, are there other rules she should be aware of? Obviously this is not an infant but a mobile child which I know can make a world of difference.

She flies on business trips frequently, but has never flown with a little one so she's unsure of the best practices and while I can give her some advice, policies have changed since mine were toddlers.

Thanks for any advice - I'll be sure to pass it along.:goodvibes

I would definitely get her a seat, and take a car seat. If she's used to sitting in her seat and staying strapped in in the car, hopefully she will connect the dots and know she has to stay in it on the plane -- so it will make everyone's life easier, and make the baby safer, as well. A 19mo merely sees a lap belt as an obstacle to be defeated. ;) Furthermore, using the carseat onboard will keep the it safe for the journey, as checking them is never a good plan due to how the airlines abuse luggage. As far as your relative's question -- yes, she will be required to be strapped into her seat during takeoff and landing, if she has one.

The NTSB put out this eye-opening video about lap babies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYWuO20fCM&list=PLA3152ACFAD7451B6&index=3&feature=plpp_video

I would definitely get her a seat, and take a car seat. If she's used to sitting in her seat and staying strapped in in the car, hopefully she will connect the dots and know she has to stay in it on the plane -- so it will make everyone's life easier, and make the baby safer, as well. A 19mo merely sees a lap belt as an obstacle to be defeated. ;) Furthermore, using the carseat onboard will keep the it safe for the journey, as checking them is never a good plan due to how the airlines abuse luggage. As far as your relative's question -- yes, she will be required to be strapped into her seat during takeoff and landing, if she has one.

The NTSB put out this eye-opening video about lap babies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYWuO20fCM&list=PLA3152ACFAD7451B6&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Thanks for the reply. There was another party involved in the discussion who seemed to think that if you bought a ticket for a toddler, that they didn't have to actually use the seat and thus there was no reason to bring a car seat. In other words, paying for the seat was buying yourself some extra space for the baby to move around in, but you could just hold on to the baby during take-off and landing. I didn't want to get into any arguments then, but I did figure I should come here to get the facts as I know so many on these boards fly with little ones. This way, I'll be able to pass along the info. to my relative without the 3rd party around. :)

I think they HAVE to have a car seat AND HAVE to be in the car seat. Obviously it will be at the flight attendants discresion. But they should contact the airlines directly to avoid any issues. Visiting their websites also will help.

I think they HAVE to have a car seat AND HAVE to be in the car seat. Obviously it will be at the flight attendants discresion. But they should contact the airlines directly to avoid any issues. Visiting their websites also will help.

Thanks. I just checked two different airlines (Jet Blue and Delta) and there were some differences. Jet Blue just said that a child needed to be able to sit upright whereas Delta said they needed to be in a child restraint. I'll be sure to tell her to check out the websites.

They don't have to have a car seat. I fly frequently and see babies/toddlers either belted in or sitting on parent's laps (if under 2). It's rare to see a car seat.

One thing the OP might want to look into is a CARES harness. It straps around the seat and holds the baby for safety.

Car seats used on the plane must be FAA approved. Meanwhile even a small child buckled into an airplane seat without a car seat is much safer than when held on someone's lap.

Car seats used on the plane must be FAA approved. Meanwhile even a small child buckled into an airplane seat without a car seat is much safer than when held on someone's lap.

Question about the FAA approval - I saw that the airline sites mentioned a label - is this right on the seat itself? Do most car seats have these? The baby has a couple seats, both of which were bought new for her.

Question about the FAA approval - I saw that the airline sites mentioned a label - is this right on the seat itself? Do most car seats have these? The baby has a couple seats, both of which were bought new for her.

the label is on the seat itself.....i'm not sure where they are from or traveling from but as far as united states seats they are almost all airline approved with very few exceptions....this is for harnessed carseats of course. Booster seats are not airline approved (but of course I should hope a toddler is not in a booster :))

Its best to have the child in a car seat, or a cares harness that was mentioned....a lap child can be extremely dangerous. good luck to them!

the label is on the seat itself.....i'm not sure where they are from or traveling from but as far as united states seats they are almost all airline approved with very few exceptions....this is for harnessed carseats of course. Booster seats are not airline approved (but of course I should hope a toddler is not in a booster :))

Its best to have the child in a car seat, or a cares harness that was mentioned....a lap child can be extremely dangerous. good luck to them!

Thanks for the reply. :)

My mom watches her several days a week and I know that her seat in my mom's van is a Britax (roundabout?). I will peek for the label when I see my mom. Not sure what kind is in her mom's car, but she would have the choice of either seat. I think the Britax takes up less space and would probably be better on the plane.

Does anyone know if the seat goes by the window or in the middle or either?

My mom watches her several days a week and I know that her seat in my mom's van is a Britax (roundabout?). I will peek for the label when I see my mom. Not sure what kind is in her mom's car, but she would have the choice of either seat. I think the Britax takes up less space and would probably be better on the plane.

It should be in the window seat so that it doesn't block access for someone to get out.

Britax roundabouts are FAA approved car seats.

is she then required to sit in the seat for take-off, landing, whenever seat-belt light is on etc... or is she allowed to be held since she could qualify as a lap baby?

If she has a seat she will have to sit in the seat with the belt on for takeoff and landing. The parents should consider a car seat.

I'm not sure why they bought a seat for the child if the mother intends to hold her for the whole flight anyway.

There was a story out about a family who was kicked off JetBlue because they had a 2 year old with a seat that the parents were unable to keep buckled up and in her seat.

If she has a seat she will have to sit in the seat with the belt on for takeoff and landing. The parents should consider a car seat.

I'm not sure why they bought a seat for the child if the mother intends to hold her for the whole flight anyway.

Thanks.
They haven't bought the tickets yet.
But, a friend was telling her there was no need to bring a car seat on the plane even if they have an extra ticket - that the baby would be much happier being held.
I know when mine were toddlers, they did better in a car seat. But, it's been a while so I wanted to get some current info. I know I can convince her of the best thing to do without said friend around. She'd be gathering info. herself, except she's a tax accountant who is looking at 80 plus hour work weeks for the next couple of weeks. She wants to take the trip when tax season is over.

She might also consider buying an inexpensive, lightweight seat like a Cosco Scenera -- they're less than $50 and much lighter and easier to tote around than the Roundabout she currently has.

She might also consider buying an inexpensive, lightweight seat like a Cosco Scenera -- they're less than $50 and much lighter and easier to tote around than the Roundabout she currently has.

I'll mention this idea. :goodvibes
She's going to need the car seat when she's there. So, I'm thinking it makes sense to have it on the plane as well.

My advice keep the baby in the seat unless you need to change her diaper (then use the restroom). It will make the trip similar to a car ride and if she is anything like dd she will not want to get back in the seat once she's out.

There was a story out about a family who was kicked off JetBlue because they had a 2 year old with a seat that the parents were unable to keep buckled up and in her seat.
I believe that in that story, the child was over the age of 2 so too old to be a lap baby.

Good suggestion.

My advice keep the baby in the seat unless you need to change her diaper (then use the restroom). It will make the trip similar to a car ride and if she is anything like dd she will not want to get back in the seat once she's out.

Another good suggestion.

I have flown with small children many times. The safest place for a small child is always in their 5 point harness car seat. I have travelled with lap children but it was so much easier when I kept them buckled in their seat for the duration of the flight. I never gave having a lap baby a second thought until I was on a flight with severe turbulence and was thinking what a projectile the child could become when not secured in their own seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter