Running Universal

Next run for 2020 is themed Trolls for the weekend of April 26.

Right now it seems they are advertising the 5K and 10k for one day.. April 26. There is no challenge sign up option right now. Anybody ask at the race whether they are just doing both on one day with no challenge? It seems like a possibility with the drop in numbers from 5,000 plus for the 5K to about 1,300 for the 10k. Would lower the cost to just have them all on one day

They will probably add it later, they cant really do both in one day unless they start out at 3am or earlier since the park still open at 9am. A lot of people did the same day pick-up and they have a pretty generous pace requirement in comparison to others and i am not sure they even really enforce it either, you can probably stretch it to 20min/mile and they wont haul you away.

I have ran in a course that does both a 5k and 10k and that wouldnt work with the universal course since they do not simply lengthen the 5k to 10k, the 10k version snakes around more creatively and there would overlap and confusion if done at the same time. They simply do not have enough land and that is why a half marathon is likely impossible.

They might be able to do one after the other with the way they do corrals, they’d have to change their cones and change the course real quick and accurately and then go through the corrals again. Add in the kids 1k which probably take another hour or so from start to finish then the whole thing is going to take entirely too long.

They will probably add it later, they cant really do both in one day unless they start out at 3am or earlier since the park still open at 9am. A lot of people did the same day pick-up and they have a pretty generous pace requirement in comparison to others and i am not sure they even really enforce it either, you can probably stretch it to 20min/mile and they wont haul you away.

I have ran in a course that does both a 5k and 10k and that wouldnt work with the universal course since they do not simply lengthen the 5k to 10k, the 10k version snakes around more creatively and there would overlap and confusion if done at the same time. They simply do not have enough land and that is why a half marathon is likely impossible.

They might be able to do one after the other with the way they do corrals, they’d have to change their cones and change the course real quick and accurately and then go through the corrals again. Add in the kids 1k which probably take another hour or so from start to finish then the whole thing is going to take entirely too long.
Maybe they would extend the 10k into Citywalk or somewhere else instead of doing the weird loop? Can't really blame them for wanting to do this all in a day if only 1,300 are signing up for one race.

CityWalk isn't really that long (adds maybe .2 mile?) and its also pretty narrow and some of the store are already open by the time people cross the finishline like starbucks and voodoo donuts. There are also a lot of patrons and spectators in the area walking around.

The finishline is by the AMC theater and Hard Rock and that is the widest part of CityWalk and no other part can be utilized better as a finishline since the stage and giant screen on top is the perfect set-up. The park entrance is also the bet starting line. If they really want to extend it to the CityWalk and deal with the crowd, then I guess they'd have to make it one way and end the run in the front gate parking but then they'd have to build a stage there, I am not sure how much they are making from those parking spots so its going to depend on that as well. Even if they make people go around CityWalk then they can probably get half a mile at most? They'd still have to route you outside and into parking lots and delivery warehouse stations to get 10k. Then there's also the issue where that is pretty much where the race starts and runners would be finishing up before the last corral even gets going and those waiting are already gon' see them done before they even break a sweat lol.

But as mentioned earlier, there was probably big discrepancy because the 10k sign up was added at a later date and there was no way to upgrade, I literally had to call and cancel my 5k registration and then sign up for the challenge which back then also cost $200 (it went down to $150 later on). A lot of those probably deterred people from signing up but it is also weird that they do not offer the challenge outright so people do not have to deal with the same issue I did and have to cancel and re-register. Then again their registration process and whole website isnt the best and up to date. Even on their FAQ now, if you check it out there are a lot of misinformation like they said you get a discount if you show your bib to certain restaurants and stores on CityWalk from Thursday to Sunday but the earliest you can pick-up the bib was Friday.

Seems like it will be all in one day. 10k at 5 am.. 5K at 6 am and kids run at 7:30 am

No challenge

Also interesting.. for the 5k

• Collectible Trolls 5K finisher medal
    Choose between “Team Poppy” and “Team Branch” to get your preferred medal/bib.

https://www.runninguniversal.com/trolls-event-info

Last edited:
wow, that is very interesting and it never even occurred to me to do the 10k first, there's just going to be a lot of overlap because not everyones going to finish the 10k in an hour and I think they are basing the corrals for the 10k from this past run. If there are a lot more than 1300 people that signs up and it takes them 30 minutes to an hour to get everyone out, its gon' be a lot of confusion or maybe I am just overthinking it. They're really gon' have to make changes to their corrals.

There must be many who bought tickets to go to the park after the run on saturday and sunday? I do think they are missing out on some $$$ by doing this, I personally did the challenge not just because I like the run itself but I do like getting all those medals, same reason I did the RunDisney DL Infinity Challenge and I saw plenty that did the challenge in Universal as well. It would also suck to choose one medal. I am curious how many runners also stayed in the hotels in the area as that is a good amount of revenue (not just for the hotels) but shortening the running weekend to one day will limit that.

I hope this doesn't mean they are being lazy about it or doing cutbacks, like the minions run earlier this year, the packet pick-up started on Thursday hence giving you free parking for up to 4 days, in this run the packet pick-up started on a Friday and the free parking pass they gave out, the parking attendants wanted to take on Saturday and I had to tell them I need it for the 10k run the next day so they are really limiting the cost as much as possible.

We'll see I guess, they got me curios how they'll pull it off.

Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but the Trolls theme just doesn't make much sense to me. Is the franchise really that popular? And will adults be interested enough in it to take on the 10K distance?

I understand the Minions. I see them all over the place, but I never see anything for Trolls. Perhaps they're condensing this race weekend into one day because they don't anticipate the same demand that Minions and Jurassic World got.

I'm also not a fan of the choose your medal thing. That could really backfire if one medal winds up being vastly more popular than the other.

I'd still like to race at Universal some day. But while timing made Minions and Jurassic World not work on my end, a theme I don't care about will guarantee that I don't even sign up. I registered for the virtual Jurassic World challenge.

Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but the Trolls theme just doesn't make much sense to me. Is the franchise really that popular? And will adults be interested enough in it to take on the 10K distance?

I understand the Minions. I see them all over the place, but I never see anything for Trolls. Perhaps they're condensing this race weekend into one day because they don't anticipate the same demand that Minions and Jurassic World got.

I'm also not a fan of the choose your medal thing. That could really backfire if one medal winds up being vastly more popular than the other.

I'd still like to race at Universal some day. But while timing made Minions and Jurassic World not work on my end, a theme I don't care about will guarantee that I don't even sign up. I registered for the virtual Jurassic World challenge.
I'm with you. I really don't get understand it. The movie did ok at the box office, but wasn't a blockbuster. I think there's one big reason they are doing it now. The sequel to the first movie is being released April 17 and the run is April 26. But even if the sequel is the greatest film of all time, releasing it only a week before the race isn't going to sway anybody, especially with encouraging them to sign up for the race way in advance. I doubt they're planning to run a "You've seen the movie, now run the race" marketing campaign. Despicable Me and Jurassic Park had several very successful films, I don't see Trolls being as popular.

Also agree on the choose your medal thing. I don't like it at all. They could have even done a challenge to do both the 5k and 10k on the same day if they'd put the 5k at 5 and the 10k at 6. Have the first corral for both races be for challenge runners to ensure they'll finish before the 10k start. It kind of seems like Running Universal is taking steps back.

Trolls isn't the biggest IP out there but it did make $350m box office and merch probably sold pretty well for them plus the sequel comes out a week or so before this run. I do think they should have picked a different theme, even Secret Life of Pets as that made closer to $900m and even though the sequel made a lot less, it still made more than the Trolls film. Plus they are opening an attraction based on it next year, it would have been perfect if they could open it at the same time but its too late for that now.

Simpsons would have been great but I am not sure if they have to ask Disney for permission for that IP, same with Harry Potter.

The Orlando version next year might be more suited for you, its just called "character race" so I assume they'll just spread out all their IPs all over the course.

Trolls isn't the biggest IP out there but it did make $350m box office and merch probably sold pretty well for them plus the sequel comes out a week or so before this run. I do think they should have picked a different theme, even Secret Life of Pets as that made closer to $900m and even though the sequel made a lot less, it still made more than the Trolls film. Plus they are opening an attraction based on it next year, it would have been perfect if they could open it at the same time but its too late for that now.
While I agree with this, maybe they were thinking about the nostalgia that Trolls have on the older crowd who played with them as kids? I mean, I saw the movie and no it wasn't anything like what I played with as a kid (where are the gems in the belly buttons??!!), but just a thought. Maybe they are just gonna rotate through IPs. Fingers crossed for a Beetlejuice run. Haha. I am just sad I missed the Jurassic Park on and was hoping it wouldn't be ever changing and that I could do it next year.

While I agree with this, maybe they were thinking about the nostalgia that Trolls have on the older crowd who played with them as kids? I mean, I saw the movie and no it wasn't anything like what I played with as a kid (where are the gems in the belly buttons??!!), but just a thought. Maybe they are just gonna rotate through IPs. Fingers crossed for a Beetlejuice run. Haha. I am just sad I missed the Jurassic Park on and was hoping it wouldn't be ever changing and that I could do it next year.
Beetlejuice would be awesome! Maybe Jurassic Park is something they could do again, I think they have another Jurassic World movie coming out in 2021 and the new ride and it's as strong an IP as anything else they have.

Another theme they could tackle is Kingfu Panda which could also be played off with the martial arts theme. I think even How to Train Your Dragon would be better too.

Another theme they could tackle is Kingfu Panda which could also be played off with the martial arts theme. I think even How to Train Your Dragon would be better too.
Seems like they are incorporating those DreamWorks characters into the kids run only

Join Poppy, Branch and Guy Diamond for a brand new race through the Theme Park and parts of the Backlot at the 5K and 10K events. Plus, kids can join in on the Kids’ 1K! Run for fun and stop for photo ops as you hug it out with your favorite DreamWorks characters from Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar and Shrek.

Simpsons would have been great but I am not sure if they have to ask Disney for permission for that IP, same with Harry Potter.

The Orlando version next year might be more suited for you, its just called "character race" so I assume they'll just spread out all their IPs all over the course.
That's where it's going to be interesting to see how Universal handles races. They have some great IP, but this is the choice that just baffles me. I live far away from Hollywood, so I'm looking at travel and lodging costs for a Universal race. Therefore, the race theme really has to appeal to me if I can make the timing work. I thought Minions was a great theme and hoped for Jurassic Park.

I would love a Simpsons race. I just don't think we'll ever see one. I would also love a Harry Potter race, but that poses similar hurdles (though perhaps less difficult) than a Simpsons race.
I am just sad I missed the Jurassic Park on and was hoping it wouldn't be ever changing and that I could do it next year.
I loved the Jurassic Park theme so much that I went for the virtual races. Because I want dinosaur medals.
Maybe Jurassic Park is something they could do again, I think they have another Jurassic World movie coming out in 2021 and the new ride and it's as strong an IP as anything else they have.
We can only hope. Because it is a great IP and kids love dinosaurs even if they're still too little for the scarier elements of the Jurassic Park movies.
Agreed. Kung Fu Panda could have some really cool medal possibilities too. I think they're hoping that the Trolls sequel will provide nice corporate synergy with the race, but I just wonder how many adults are truly excited about spending the money for a Trolls themed race weekend. Now if people are excited for the theme, I hope they enjoy the race experience. It might not work for me, but that doesn't mean that others can't or won't enjoy it.

And I don't want to think about the poor volunteers if the choose your medal idea turns out to be one character is much more popular than another so if you come in later, then you're stuck with the medal you don't like. Or if a kid really wants a certain character only to have them run out of that character when the child crosses the finish line long after the much faster adults. Or even other children.

Thinking about it some more, the Trolls sequel coming out a week before the run doesnt really help it much. How many people are really gonna be watching the Trolls movie and think “oh, theres a 5k next week, i’m gon’ run that for sure!”

I really think the Secret Life of Pets would have been a better choice and open the ride the same weekend or a week before. Marketing goes hand in hand, “run the SLoP 5k/10k then ride the brand new attraction afterwards,“ seems like a good way to try and sell park tickets. Then again I didnt see them sell the run with the refurbished JW ride either so I think they might need a new marketing team for the park?

Seems like they are incorporating those DreamWorks characters into the kids run only

Join Poppy, Branch and Guy Diamond for a brand new race through the Theme Park and parts of the Backlot at the 5K and 10K events. Plus, kids can join in on the Kids’ 1K! Run for fun and stop for photo ops as you hug it out with your favorite DreamWorks characters from Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar and Shrek.

That sucks and seems like a waste. A Dreamworks Run actually sounds real good too and they should do that in the future and just have a bunch of photo ops.

Right now it seems they are advertising the 5K and 10k for one day.. April 26. There is no challenge sign up option right now. Anybody ask at the race whether they are just doing both on one day with no challenge?

As was stated, they are starting the 10k first. Honestly I’m not sure that organizers like it when people go back to back with runs like you can do when it’s 5 then 10.

Have you watched it? It’s adorable and funny. I don’t see it as a kid movie *at all*.

If the timing works out I’d be down for it. But my teen son’s (he thinks Trolls is awesome) schedule really messes with travel.

As was stated, they are starting the 10k first. Honestly I’m not sure that organizers like it when people go back to back with runs like you can do when it’s 5 then 10.
Gasparilla in Tampa does the longer distance before the shorter
Two of their challenges has you doing 15k then swinging back for 5k and one in addition to this has you doing a Half followed by an 8k the next day

The run survey they sent me was pretty interesting, I signed up for it when I did the packet pick up and when I got it the very first question was if I visited the park and when I answered no the survey thanked me and ended.

I was ready to give them a good amount of feedback regarding the run and the course and photo ops but it seems like they are just interested about the park visit.

The run survey they sent me was pretty interesting, I signed up for it when I did the packet pick up and when I got it the very first question was if I visited the park and when I answered no the survey thanked me and ended.

I was ready to give them a good amount of feedback regarding the run and the course and photo ops but it seems like they are just interested about the park visit.

Weird, I did the survey and answered no in regards to visiting the park... still filled out pages upon pages of the survey to provide feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!