Running Universal

Well this is interesting...

I'm surprised they didnt jump straight to a half to grab the locals who would normally do runDisney. Although I'm not sure if they could do a half because there may not be enough room in the park and its at the top of a hill.

A friend just sent me info on it and I'm signed up. They did a 5k in 1995 shortly after Disneyland had the 5k/marathon. It was awesome running past Jaws, the parted Red Sea, Psycho House and others. The best part was getting there early and security was pretty lax so I got to wander around the Monster Square sets from Dracula and Frankenstein and go up on the balcony before the race started. . I'm pretty sure their security will be much tighter now. Looks like this race starts on the top part of the park then goes down to the backlot and finishes in Citywalk. Packet pickup will be Thursday and Friday, but they don't have times yet.

They're offering $94 admission tickets for runners for that day. But the race starts at 6 am. I'm figuring I can finish the race and be down to Disneyland by park opening!

A friend just sent me info on it and I'm signed up. They did a 5k in 1995 shortly after Disneyland had the 5k/marathon. It was awesome running past Jaws, the parted Red Sea, Psycho House and others. The best part was getting there early and security was pretty lax so I got to wander around the Monster Square sets from Dracula and Frankenstein and go up on the balcony before the race started. . I'm pretty sure their security will be much tighter now. Looks like this race starts on the top part of the park then goes down to the backlot and finishes in Citywalk. Packet pickup will be Thursday and Friday, but they don't have times yet.

They're offering $94 admission tickets for runners for that day. But the race starts at 6 am. I'm figuring I can finish the race and be down to Disneyland by park opening!
The course is a major part of the appeal for me. Looks like it goes through Wizarding World and Springfield and the War of the Worlds set. I would be thrilled if it went through Amity and past the courthouse from Back to the Future as well.

If I sign up, I might just spend two days in Universal. Partial day on packet pickup and at least most of the day on 5K day itself. I haven't been to Universal Hollywood in 5 years and I will probably be between my annual pass to Disneyland at that time. I know I'm heading to Disneyland sometime next summer for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge so it might be nice to focus on Universal that weekend. Granted, I have to travel for it so that makes for a thing to consider as well.

Yeah, I haven't been to Universal for several years either. The course does look cool! I'm in Dallas so I don't get out there nearly enough, so Disneyland is usually automatically on my list. I'm going to D23 for the first time that August but it's my first time there and I'm not sure how much park time I'll get. I've been hoping they'd do a 5k or 10k through the Orlando parks, so I'll take this. You did give me a good idea, though. If I take the early morning flight from Dallas, I can do Universal on the packet pickup day. I can get Universal and Disney in!

Considering it's 39 degrees in Dallas right now, I feel very happy to be thinking about Southern California weather.

Last edited:
I'm in Dallas so I don't get out there nearly enough, so Disneyland is usually automatically on my list. I'm going to D23 for the first time that August but it's my first time there and I'm not sure how much park time I'll get. I've been hoping they'd do a 5k or 10k through the Orlando parks, so I'll take this. You did give me a good idea, though. If I take the early morning flight from Dallas, I can do Universal on the packet pickup day. I can get Universal and Disney in!
In your situation, I would do the exact same thing. I visit Disneyland at least 2-3 times a year so the only strange thing would be traveling down to that area without going to Disneyland. Disneyland will likely open at 8:00am on a Saturday morning as an FYI.

On D23, I would plan on having minimal time in the parks unless you plan to visit them in the days before or after D23 itself. While I've never been to D23, I understand that each day goes until late enough to only give you 3-4 hours at most in Disneyland before it closes and even less time in California Adventure.

In your situation, I would do the exact same thing. I visit Disneyland at least 2-3 times a year so the only strange thing would be traveling down to that area without going to Disneyland. Disneyland will likely open at 8:00am on a Saturday morning as an FYI.

On D23, I would plan on having minimal time in the parks unless you plan to visit them in the days before or after D23 itself. While I've never been to D23, I understand that each day goes until late enough to only give you 3-4 hours at most in Disneyland before it closes and even less time in California Adventure.

Thanks. Yeah, I think the parks after D23 will have to be a day of decision, especially not having done it before. Trader Sam's might be as close as I get to the parks! It's kind of funny looking at Universal's map because it's been several years. I've done Despicable Me and Harry Potter in Orlando, but that's new to me here. Might have to take advantage of being there.

Well this is interesting...

I'm surprised they didnt jump straight to a half to grab the locals who would normally do runDisney. Although I'm not sure if they could do a half because there may not be enough room in the park and its at the top of a hill.

Hills?

Edit-didn’t pay enough attention to the fact it was Hollywood.

Looks like they are planning more events. Under faq, it says when is the next event and they stay tuned.

Think if this sells out fast you can expect another one.

Running Universal seems to be like rundisney. The way that news outlets are reporting it.. seems like this one is minion themed. Could we expect harry potter, simpsons, etc themed races next?

Last edited:
Looks like they are planning more events. Under faq, it says when is the next event and they stay tuned.

Running Universal seems to be like rundisney. The way that news outlets are reporting it.. seems like this one is minion themed. Could we expect harry potter, simpsons, etc themed races next?
Potter and Simpsons could be tricky because Universal does not own those properties. Presumably Disney will own The Simpsons once the Fox merger happens and Warner Brothers controls Potter in the movies and presumably J.K. Rowling would have to sign off on anything Universal and Warner manage to work out. I think they definitely want to do Harry Potter runs. It just may be a little bit tricky.

Now that said, do I see the possibility of Jurassic Park, King Kong, and other Universal owned properties? Absolutely. I'm thinking about registering based on the possibility of running through the backlot and hopefully getting some cool Jurassic Park prop pictures alone even though I know the course does not pass by the attraction.

I think Minions is a good way to test the market for them. How many runners sign up? What is attendance in the park like in the days before and after the race? Did the race provide an attendance bump? Presumably the minions will play very well with the family fun run set and they can gauge interest in other themes as well. Obviously, Potter will be a very popular theme and their costume FAQ shows that they think a lot of runners will dress up as Potterverse characters.

Harry Potter would be a great theme, I was also thinking a Jurassic World, possibly a Universal Monsters run around Halloween. There's a lot they can do with these runs. Their only issue would be doing longer distances because of the space. What would really be cool would be if they could get a partnership with Warner Brothers to run through both Universal and Warner Brothers lot to create a longer run.

And if they get a really good turnout, maybe it will help convince Disney to bring back RunDisney events at Disneyland that much sooner!

My son and I are signed up for it. :) Not sure how I'll get there or pay for everything, but it's going to happen. Plus, it's Mother's Day weekend!

For anyone who hasn't been in awhile, Costco tends to sell nice multi-day tickets and even a nicely discounted annual pass. My son and I love it at USH. :)

(And for anyone who is used to Universal Orlando and their pesky alcohol rules in Wizarding World, USH doesn't tend to care if you dump the firewhiskey right into the frozen butterbeer in front of them.)

Got a nice Cyber Monday surprise today. Ended up with air from Dallas into Burbank for $167 round trip (I was hoping to match that into LAX or Orange County for D23 weekend in August, but it was just this weekend). And I had a Hilton certificate for a free weekend night and I was able to use it at the Universal Hilton. I get in late Thursday so I can get my bib on Friday and I have to leave mid-day Saturday, so no Disneyland this time. But I think I'll do Universal on Friday, which is fine since i haven't been for years. And maybe see the Dodgers play that night or see what's playing at the El Capitan. Do I really have to wait six more months?

Got a nice Cyber Monday surprise today. Ended up with air from Dallas into Burbank for $167 round trip (I was hoping to match that into LAX or Orange County for D23 weekend in August, but it was just this weekend). And I had a Hilton certificate for a free weekend night and I was able to use it at the Universal Hilton. I get in late Thursday so I can get my bib on Friday and I have to leave mid-day Saturday, so no Disneyland this time. But I think I'll do Universal on Friday, which is fine since i haven't been for years. And maybe see the Dodgers play that night or see what's playing at the El Capitan. Do I really have to wait six more months?
There's a very good chance that Avengers 5 will be playing at the El Capitan then.

As a side note, I strongly recommend taking in a movie at the El Capitan especially if you have a chance to see a Disney classic there. I've been fortunate enough to catch Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast there. So fun to see these classics on the big screen again especially since I'm not completely sure if I saw Sleeping Beauty during its theatrical re-release in the 80s.

That's awesome. I agree on that. I saw Aladdin and Lion King there, back when you had to line up and rush to get our favorite seats (front row, center balcony). I was lucky that the LA Marathon in 2017 was opening weekend of Beauty and the Beast (live action). Though getting balcony after a marathon wasn't the smartest thing to do - those stairs were awful! Loved the organist before the movie and it's just a great place. If Avengers 5 is there, sorry Dodgers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!