Running out of Elf on the Shelf ideas!

Boy you people are adventurous. We've had elves in our house for the past 14years watching the kids. But we just move them from perch to perch. They don't get into anything just hang around watching. I place them all kinds of places in my house, but I have to say after 14 years of strategic placing it's getting hard to come up with new spots. When all the kids were little I moved him every night. Now with the last one, I seem to forget about "Bendy" and move him every other day or so. I can't imagine having to think of different scenerio's for him to be in. Have fun. I'm hoping this is my last year, I'm getting elfed out.

Just throwing this out there, but balled up tootsie roll pieces make exellent elf poop.

Ours has upgraded to Facebook from Myspace this year too. He puts a the little tidbits about the kids on his wall. Less chance of some adult type stuff popping up too.

Oh I had no idea Markle was supposed to be naughty! We just move him around every night- luckily I have this board of very clever elf owners to copy from :goodvibes

Em

Our elf is arriving tonight. We were in Disney World until Dec 3, so I didn't want him to arrive before we left and I just remembered to get him out tonight! He can start getting into mischief tomorrow, I guess. I got mine from www.elfmagic.com and the story is a little bit different. Nothing about not touching him, thank goodness! Thanks for all the great ideas!

Little Shoes the Elf has done the regular tricks but yesterday our cat had a little accident in the living room (DS had blocked the kitty door with a box of decorations). My DD was crying her eyes out because she thought Little Shoes had really pooped in the house!!!! I felt so bad! Poor DD...she was so upset. We had a very nice talk and finally she believed me that it was the cat since Little Shoes was still tucked safe and sound upstairs. This was the same day she brushed her teeth and her loose tooth went down the drain....such a sad day.

So far Buddy has

Tp'ed the living room
Colored in a lot of coloring books
took matchbox cars and spelled out "HOHO" in the living room
went to the store and got each boy a small ($3.99) Lego set
made a snow angel in the kitchen table with flour

and last night he 'elfed' himself and the boys for a jibjab movie (the boys LOVED this!) There are a few you can make for free and they turned out cute! the site is jibjab.com (I think!)

I think we will do the 'pee' one tonight...the boys will get a kick out of it, and I am too tired to do anything HUGE!

I just set up a gmail account for our Elf so he can send emails to the girls. I've done most of the stuff already listed, except the pee. That's great and I will be doing that soon.

Pepper Minstix has also:

Decorated our tree with socks
Played Candyland with Barbies
Made a sleigh out of a box and some stuffed toys
Made paper snowflakes, leaving a scrap paper mess

And I heard that tonight, he's going to have a makeover party with the dolls :D

Wow you guys are so creative! We just got our "Elf on the Shelf" on Sunday and the last couple of nights, i have woken up in the middle in the night remembering that the kids were expecting to see Jingle in a new place! But i have just moved him from shelf to shelf!

I think i may have to try some of your great ideas

This is our 2nd year with our elves - we had just Piper the first year, and then last year he also brought his sister, Arabella. They will be arriving at our house tonight, but here are some of the things they have done in the past...

-Had a shoe parade that went from my son's room all the way to the living room
-packed the kids lunches with crazy stuff - cans of beets and artichokes, onion dip, onion flakes, beef boulion cubes, etc.
-celebrated a different holiday (Easter)
-took a cardboard box and decorated it with garland and lights
-drew on my daughters white board and held a class teaching other stuffed animals how to wrap presents

This year they are going to:
-wrap up my kids school books or school clothes
-send one of the other stuffed animals back to the North Pole. I think they'll have a packing sticker and a box or something to do this. (last year they came with a reindeer, this year they are coming with a Webkinz Christmas moose - guess one of them will be naughty)
-address Christmas cards to their family, Santa, the reindeers back at the North Pole
-paint my husbands toenails red and green while he is sleeping

Can't wait for the fun to begin!!

Little Shoes the Elf has done the regular tricks but yesterday our cat had a little accident in the living room (DS had blocked the kitty door with a box of decorations). My DD was crying her eyes out because she thought Little Shoes had really pooped in the house!!!! I felt so bad! Poor DD...she was so upset. We had a very nice talk and finally she believed me that it was the cat since Little Shoes was still tucked safe and sound upstairs. This was the same day she brushed her teeth and her loose tooth went down the drain....such a sad day.

Aww, poor thing. She sounds so sweet. Hope the tooth fairy was extra generous;)

I saw a picture on facebook and he was having a snowball fight in flour and had a marshmallow in his hand

So far some of the things that Gumdrop has done this year include:

-- Been found playing solitare with a deck of cards
-- Was on top of the Christmas tree on the star and wrote my DD a note about how much he liked the tree
-- Was found playing with her new Disney collectables that we bought on our last trip to WDW
-- Was sick one night and was found with tissues, medicines, a glass of water, coughdrops, and vitamins around him. Poor thing! He was better the next day.
-- Did some scratch off lottery tickets and even left one for my DD.
-- Gave her the Dr. Suess book "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
-- Was seen playing "school" with some of her school work and some other stuffed animals
-- Opened a new box of candy canes and was seen eating one

I've also heard that he will be:

-- Decorating the tree with socks. Underware is soooo two years ago.
-- Giving my DD a GIANT container of hot cocoa and will be found sitting on top of it with a bow.
-- Making fake snow and leaving some for her to make as well (I hope this one isn't too messy)
-- Giving her a paint-by-number craft
-- Giving her a decorate yourself reindeer paddleball
-- Getting caught in the freezer
-- Falling asleep in the Christmas tree

Our Marvin got in the fridge the other night and drew faces all over everything. He was caught inside with a permanent marker getting ready to draw a face on another egg.

While I love doing this elf thing, it's harder than I thought. I've come up with (or borrowed) some good ideas, but now my kids race downstairs everyday to see what he's done. And last week I forgot and threw some old gourds on the tree; my oldest was like "Didn't he already do that with underwear???"

Tonight I'm doing the snowflakes from the ceiling. Their favs have been the chocolate coins in the piggy bank, trees made from Legos, a sleigh of reindeer, new PJs when the elf got into my DD's doll bed, mini cupcakes, new markers and picture... It's beginning to run together. Next year, he might not show up until Dec! :rotfl2:

Here are a couple more that I hope to use this week...

take dry-erase markers and draw faces on all of our framed family pictures

hang mistletoe in a doorway then scatter Hershey kisses and Hugs all over the floor

You guys are creative. I'm also running out of ideas and we just started 2 weeks ago. This is our first year with an elf (Peanut) and it's tiring. Twice I've forgotten to move him then wake up the next day in a panic, racing to get downstairs before DS. I can't imagine the people who put him out the day after T-giving.

Oh, and frankly, I'm tired of being woken up at 6am on a Sat. and Sun. morning by DS who is just too excited not to share Peanut's latest adventure. I know one day I'll be missing these times but right now? not so much.

This is our first year with an elf guest. So far Scout has

made a flour snow angel

drew on one of my daughers drawings and left new markers and coloring pages for all the kids

hung candy canes around the house

put Christmas lights on the curtain rod over the window and gotten stuck in them

swung from our sons ceiling fan with one of his stuffed animals

brushed his teeth with sons toothbrush and used toothpaste to draw a Christmas tree on two old toliet paper tubes

read the Cat in the hat to a bunch of DS's stuffed animals

Brought mini Christmas trees and sat in daddys chair and played with his computer mouse

played with Legos and left wrapped presents when kids missed a party where Santa would have brought them gifts

hid in Moms teapot

found sitting in a bowl of popcorn with dads remote watching Elf

You guys are great! I can't wait to try some of these ideas this week.

This is our first year and Merry Christmas Flower and Herry Christmas Star have just been hiding in different spots all over the house. Our elves are large (2-3 foot and they stand upright) so this does make hiding more difficult!

I would like some advice on how your elves leave. Do they just disappear? Do they send a note saying goodbye? Do they only stay until Christmas? I'm not sure how we are going to say good bye yet. My daughters (5 and 21months) are just loving looking for them every day, they talk to them during the day and even make gifts for them to give back to Santa (so I have to make sure to take them before the next day).

THe elves go home with Santa. When he leaves the gifts, he picks up the elves to take them home to the North Pole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts