Running and Racing and Dancing and Chasing: A 2017 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Ugh, I'm getting behind in my comments!! Love that you move so quickly through a trip report though! I went back and read through your January Marathon weekend report, and it was great. I absolutely love your running outfits! They are so colorful - the butterfly one for the full marathon in January was especially gorgeous. These reports are seriously getting me pumped for next February - I need to book mark them and read again when it gets closer to keep me inspired :thumbsup2

That certainly sounds like a whirlwind park day, after being up so early! Too bad you couldn't have rode more at HS. YnY always looks great in trip reports, so I really need to get that on a next trip plan soon. I always asssumed I'd feel guilty going to bed so early, while there was still more park to see, but after doing the race weekends I totally appreciate how shattered you are by the 7pm.

Still following along! I didn't realise you were staying at AKL, I LOVE AKL! We're going back again when we're over for W&D. Sanaa is SO GOOD, it's one of our firm favourites now! We've pencilled in Yak and Yeti for the first time so I'm glad you liked it too, I've heard a lot of good things about it!.

Your friends are CRAZY getting up so early! lol

Also side note I just went and re-read all you Disney Cruiseline TR's haha

Can't wait for more!

5K day ... yay!! Princess 5K was my first runDisney race, so it will always be extra special to me, and I always love hearing/reading about it.

That filming thing was interesting. You never really think about what goes into a short promotional video until actually see it happening. I really can't imagine running in full makeup ... or being excited about anything at that hour of the morning ... I don't think I'm cut out for acting either.

You got some great character stops - Abu and Suzy/Perla are both excellent character meets! Plus the Festival of Fantasy dancers and a bonus Cinderella at the end ... overall, that's a pretty good picture morning! (And I love your PhotoPass pictures ... even if you don't know what to do with your arms)

I love that you tried to hold up your medal for the Everest photo ... you get an A+ for effort, even if your execution failed. (For the record, I have no idea where the cameras are on any of the various attractions with pictures, so I never have fun pictures)
Sounds like a good day at AK, despite the early morning/tiredness. I've heard a lot of good things about Yak & Yeti ... both dishes look great!!

I'm looking forward to reading about your 10K adventure!

This was my attempt at medal showing during a ride... I think I need to work on it but was proud that I at least got the camera placement right! I think Space Mtn would be a better one, closer to the camera and I know just how to play that one! Oh, and Sunday I hit 52,500 steps, which will probably never happen again because my feet are still recovering! Once I hit 45,000 it was my personal challenge to hit 50,000 that day, even if I had to pace around my hotel room. I hit it right after Wishes though so no aimless wandering needed!

Loving your trip report!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Attachments

• PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7962208531.jpeg
    PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7962208531.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27
Hey, Mel! :wave2:

Excellent day of park hopping filled with lots of great stuff. I've also never tried Yak & Yeti even though I've considered it a few times. Your photos certainly look appealing though!

Looking forward to reading about the 10K.

Great 5K photos! The Disney photopass people get way better race pics than any other race photographers I've experienced! I have the whole awkward "there's a photographer what do I do with my hands" thing too - I usually end up doing some stupid thumbs up pose :rolleyes:
I totally agree...though really, I have only dealt with PhotoPass and MarathonFoto. But PhotoPass wins!

I did try a peace sign and a thumbs up at points and just looked stupid!
How funny they were filming at the start! Maybe you'll be in the final video footage! That would be cool. Corral A is the bomb - I've only had it a couple of times, but it is lovely to not have to deal with the crowds:cloud9:
Corral A was awesome! I must have it again!
That really worked out that your friends were willing to get up early with you - so everyone was ready to crash early at night too! It's tough to do a race weekend with other people who aren't racing, when you are all wiped at 8pm and they want to go see fireworks or something.
Yeah, I did think (still think) they were nuts to get up that early, but it worked out well for me that we all ended up on the same schedule!
Arm's up is classic though!!! I like Yak & Yeti a lot too, the dessert wontons (if they still have them) are sooo good! I'm only good for about 2 rides on Everest in a row, I'm always a little off after, but not as bad as after Tower.
That's the dessert that I wanted! So sad.

I am normally good for 1 ride on Everest so I'm not sure what I was thinking tempting fate with a second ride??!
Great pics! Abu is so cute! and yes Corral A is lovely for sure. Imagine the half or full from corral A, that's the dream!
That seriously is the dream...I don't think it'll ever happen, but wow...must be awesome!
Fun park day! AK has some great shows that allow you to rest your feet/legs and I could totally see how your friend fell asleep during Nemo! (They are CHAMPS for waking up so early btw).
They really are! She happened to have an end seat right next to a wall, so she leaned over and was out cold!
Safari is always one of my favorites. Did you get to see the baby giraffe? (I think named Stella?) So Sweet!
I think I did see the baby giraffe!! Squeeeeee
Your lo mein looks delish!
It was! I want some more now!
I think that 5K medal is the best looking of that weekend.
That one is my second favorite after the 10K medal! :)
FOTLK is my absolute favorite show, I have to see it ever trip. It's been a while since I've seen Finding Nemo the musical.
I hadn't seen FOTLK in a couple of years...it's always so good. I think I like it better than Nemo (which is also good).
I've never done Yak & Yeti but it does look good.
Super good!! I definitely recommend it!
Can't wait to hear about the 10K!
:yay:
Mel...oh Mel! Lol
yes, may I help you?? :rotfl2:
Love festival of lion king. My daughter was selected to participate the last time we were there.
How fun! I think I would have been too shy to do that when I was a kiddo!
Yak and yeti is a consistent favorite of ours. The lettuce cups are the best!
Ooh, I will have to try those next time!
Looking forward to hearing about the 10K!
I loved it, favorite race of the weekend!
Ugh, I'm getting behind in my comments!! Love that you move so quickly through a trip report though!
That's how I roll with trip reports - I write them quickly (this one is totally written up in a Google Doc) and post them quickly so I don't forget everything. :)
I went back and read through your January Marathon weekend report, and it was great. I absolutely love your running outfits! They are so colorful - the butterfly one for the full marathon in January was especially gorgeous. These reports are seriously getting me pumped for next February - I need to book mark them and read again when it gets closer to keep me inspired :thumbsup2
Thank you! :) I love wearing fun, pretty running clothes, especially since I know I'll be getting pictures during the races!
That certainly sounds like a whirlwind park day, after being up so early! Too bad you couldn't have rode more at HS.
Yeah, ToT is my 100% favorite ride so I was bummed to miss it!
YnY always looks great in trip reports, so I really need to get that on a next trip plan soon.
It's really good, and nice to have a good table service option in Animal Kingdom!
I always asssumed I'd feel guilty going to bed so early, while there was still more park to see, but after doing the race weekends I totally appreciate how shattered you are by the 7pm.
The exhaustion is real during these race weekends, that's for sure!
Still following along! I didn't realise you were staying at AKL, I LOVE AKL! We're going back again when we're over for W&D. Sanaa is SO GOOD, it's one of our firm favourites now! We've pencilled in Yak and Yeti for the first time so I'm glad you liked it too, I've heard a lot of good things about it!.
I love it too! It's like you're in a whole other world!
Your friends are CRAZY getting up so early! lol
I know!! But at least this way they went to bed at the same time as I did! :teeth:
Also side note I just went and re-read all you Disney Cruiseline TR's haha
EEEEK you will love DCL, I LOVE Disney cruises!!
Can't wait for more!
5K day ... yay!! Princess 5K was my first runDisney race, so it will always be extra special to me, and I always love hearing/reading about it.
It was definitely a fun race - I almost didn't sign up for it, but I'm glad that I did!
That filming thing was interesting. You never really think about what goes into a short promotional video until actually see it happening. I really can't imagine running in full makeup ... or being excited about anything at that hour of the morning ... I don't think I'm cut out for acting either.
It was definitely interesting...I still haven't found the video, maybe they haven't made it yet!

I'm not cut out for acting either. There's no way I could have acted that excited at 5AM!
You got some great character stops - Abu and Suzy/Perla are both excellent character meets! Plus the Festival of Fantasy dancers and a bonus Cinderella at the end ... overall, that's a pretty good picture morning! (And I love your PhotoPass pictures ... even if you don't know what to do with your arms)
Definitely a great morning for character stops! :yay:
I love that you tried to hold up your medal for the Everest photo ... you get an A+ for effort, even if your execution failed. (For the record, I have no idea where the cameras are on any of the various attractions with pictures, so I never have fun pictures)
Sounds like a good day at AK, despite the early morning/tiredness. I've heard a lot of good things about Yak & Yeti ... both dishes look great!!
Total fail on the picture. I knew the camera was after you stop and "watch" the yeti rip the tracks up, but I was still a few seconds too late!
I'm looking forward to reading about your 10K adventure!
This was my attempt at medal showing during a ride... I think I need to work on it but was proud that I at least got the camera placement right! I think Space Mtn would be a better one, closer to the camera and I know just how to play that one!
Yours is better than mine! Mine was so bad I don't even have the picture!

Space Mountain would be a good one, but I never remember which side the camera is on! :confused3
Oh, and Sunday I hit 52,500 steps, which will probably never happen again because my feet are still recovering! Once I hit 45,000 it was my personal challenge to hit 50,000 that day, even if I had to pace around my hotel room. I hit it right after Wishes though so no aimless wandering needed!
That's an impressive step count!! M kept trying to catch up to my step totals each day, which was funny since she wasn't running the races...she never did catch up! :P
Loving your trip report!!! Thanks for sharing it!
Thanks for reading!
Hey, Mel! :wave2:
Oh hey! :wave: :rotfl2:
Excellent day of park hopping filled with lots of great stuff. I've also never tried Yak & Yeti even though I've considered it a few times. Your photos certainly look appealing though!
It's really good, and I think with the portion size and the pricing, it's not a bad deal...which, I mean, you know Disney table service isn't exactly *cheap.* But Y&Y is pretty good in that regard!
Looking forward to reading about the 10K.
Woot! Favorite race of the weekend!
Either way, I'm sure they got medals... :rolleyes1
Oh, of course they did! :upsidedow

Just totally creeped on her Instagram - she has a pic with her mom (just standing with their bibs on - Corral F for both :scratchin) but none after that. No medal pic or anything. Who knows if they did the race or what...?

Coral A looks like a dreeeeam!!! I would never have been able to pass up Dopey--he's my absolute favorite and it is PAINFUL to wait to meet him at MVMCP. I really hope he's out this year for the 5K or 10K next January :)

Loving your TR so far!! Very excited to read about the 10K experience up next.....I think you said the 5K course for the Princess weekend was the same as the course for the 5K marathon weekend. Is the 10K the same, too? I love doing 5Ks, but 10K will be new for me, so I'm a little anxious about what to expect.

Coral A looks like a dreeeeam!!! I would never have been able to pass up Dopey--he's my absolute favorite and it is PAINFUL to wait to meet him at MVMCP. I really hope he's out this year for the 5K or 10K next January :)

Loving your TR so far!! Very excited to read about the 10K experience up next.....I think you said the 5K course for the Princess weekend was the same as the course for the 5K marathon weekend. Is the 10K the same, too? I love doing 5Ks, but 10K will be new for me, so I'm a little anxious about what to expect.
Based on past Marathon Weekends, Dopey will not be on the race courses, but there is a good change he will be out for photos after the races in the staging area. :)

Yes, the 5K and 10K courses are exactly the same for Princess and January weekends. If it makes you feel any better...the 10K course is my favorite course at WDW (except for the marathon). :)

Based on past Marathon Weekends, Dopey will not be on the race courses, but there is a good change he will be out for photos after the races in the staging area. :)

He's been out before the races a few times too, I believe. If you're on the first bus to the staging area, you've got a good chance to get a picture without a long line.

Looks like it was an awesome day at Animal Kingdom! And Yak&Yeti is a family favorite - they have a skewered chicken/pineapple dish that's fantastic. Another cute outfit for the 10K - can't wait to hear all about it! :)

That seriously is the dream...I don't think it'll ever happen, but wow...must be awesome!
Yeah, not happening here either, my brother gets to live that, jerk hahaha! Oh & I forgot to add on makeup I'll do eyeshadow if it matches my outfit, but that's it, I don't see how people can run full makeuped at all either. But then I don't see how they can run it tutus either.

Looks like it was an awesome day at Animal Kingdom! And Yak&Yeti is a family favorite - they have a skewered chicken/pineapple dish that's fantastic. Another cute outfit for the 10K - can't wait to hear all about it! :)
It was a great day! I hadn't really spent a full day in the park like that in awhile, so it was overdue!

Looooved Yak & Yeti! Might be one of my new favorites! :)
Yeah, not happening here either, my brother gets to live that, jerk hahaha! Oh & I forgot to add on makeup I'll do eyeshadow if it matches my outfit, but that's it, I don't see how people can run full makeuped at all either. But then I don't see how they can run it tutus either.
I am way jealous of your brother!!

I just sweat way too much to wear make-up - I did for my first Disney Half and by the end of the race I'm pretty sure I'd wiped it all off/some of it was in my eyes. And I'm totally with you on the tutus...I have never understood the appeal of wearing one, personally. :confused3

Day 4: Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 2017 Princess 10K! Part 1

It’s day 1 of the Glass Slipper Challenge! :banana:
32178932060_02f7044673_z.jpg

I LOVE this course - my favorite of the weekend, and one of my favorites at Walt Disney World. The first half is blah, but the second half is so great! :yay:

Another 3AM wake-up call...I had to really, really talk myself into getting out of bed this morning. :faint: So early! But K and I got up (M slept in until about 7) and grabbed a bus easily. K had been put in Corral F and I'd told her about the mini waves used for the start the previous day, knowing that they would also be used for the 10K. We wanted to make sure she was at the front of F!

We arrived at Epcot and K was marveling at how short the walk was to the corrals - the only runDisney race she had done at that point was the WDW Half, where runners need to walk about 20 minutes to the corrals. For the 5K and 10K races, it's a much shorter walk!

We headed into the runner's only area, made a bathroom stop and split up. Tip for future runDisney participants - the porta potties in the staging area ARE NOT the only ones available - there are tons in the runner's only area, too! And they often have no lines! :banana:

I headed to Corral B, and K headed to F. I plopped down at the front of my corral and ate my bagel and peanut butter I'd brought from home.

Everyone else in my corral...check out the two ladies throwing me some serious shade! Dang princesses, chill out!

33130511296_b181744534_z.jpg

The way the corrals are set up, F is closest to the starting line and A is furthest away. So people in the A corral will walk by those in B, C, D, E and F, then B walks by the remaining corrals, etc. But before Corral A, the wheelchair racers make their way to the front first and get a healthy round of applause from the runners as they pass by. Today, in addition to the wheelchair racers (who participate in the races by wheeling themselves - I think that’s the right term, "wheeling?"), there were 4-5 parents pushing their children in wheelchairs. All of these children had disabilities. Pushing someone else in a wheelchair/stroller is not allowed on the course, and this is not very common, but I have heard of it happening in rare instances - these parents got special permission from runDisney to participate with their children. I cried seeing them...it was so sweet and heartbreaking, and I'm so glad that runDisney let these families participate in the race. K said that by the time they passed corral F, one of the mothers pushing her daughter was crying. I'm sure it meant so much to them to be able to do this! :lovestruc

Corral A was walked up after the wheelchair racers. Corral B was walked up soon after - since I was at the front, I got to hold the tape!

33044415921_d3aefffbdb_z.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm bigtime now! :cool1:

33130506866_4eca5c0004_z.jpg

Behind Corral A...

33044413951_c90892e75d_z.jpg

Corral A started at 5:30. At least 10-20 late Corral A arrivals pushed their way through our corral to get to A (you can see some running past the tape in the picture above, too). :rolleyes2 So annoying...not sure why people can't be on time, it's RIGHT THERE in the program, people! Sigh. (The next day was a different story, due to a giant traffic jam, but that wasn’t an issue today).

Once Corral A was completely gone, we were walked up to the start!

32789636740_74f610a5ac_z.jpg

I literally toed the starting line - that's me in the black/purple shoes! :)

33015568292_4f6153c6f5_z.jpg

I was surprised to get a buzz on my watch about 30 seconds before we started the race - a tracking notification that I'd started the 10K! Apparently, in my "I'm up front!" excitement, I had leaned over the starting line and the timing mat caught my bib. Oops!

Last edited:
2017 Disney Princess 10K - Part 2

Time to start the race for real - 3-2-1-GOOOO!!!

We headed away from Epcot...originally I had been hoping for another couple of "faster" miles to start out today, but after running out of gas yesterday, it seemed smarter to take things a little slower.

We saw Moana!

Under the tollbooths...

33130511286_e3e91b8e6f_z.jpg

At this point I could see all of the runners ahead of us heading up the highway, and I saw a short line (no more than 10 people) for a character stop. Looked like pixies...normally I wouldn't stop for them, but it seemed fitting since I'll be heading to California for Tink weekend in May. :scratchin I decided that if the line was still short by the time I got there, I'd stop.

1 mile down!

33130506736_3472a62708_z.jpg

Just after mile marker 1, there's a very sharp turn. Princess Elena was out at the turn and her line was huge! I skipped her and made the sharp righthand turn, heading up the highway I'd been looking up at a few minutes earlier.

The runners behind me...
32356680483_005c83e71f_z.jpg

The pixie line had grown...like, a lot. :headache: I didn't stop. I guess this is the difference between being in Corral A and Corral B!

33172053745_7844306b98_z.jpg

But then I realized who the next stop was, exclaimed "holy s***!!" and stopped in my tracks! Among the longest lines I have waited in for a Disney race (11 minutes) but totally worth it!

PhotoPass version:

33156114796_982f4bfd22_z.jpg

From my phone...which I actually think I like a little better! The lighting makes it a little creepier and since it’s not zoomed in so much, you get the entire set-up!

33172053905_1655f56610_z.jpg

And it was so funny because I would hear people discuss who the stop was and not be that impressed by it...and I'm just like, "pardon me??? What are you doing with your life??" o_O

I also had one of the wheelchair families behind me in line - they passed me after the stop! Very impressed that they could run so quickly pushing a wheelchair with their kiddo inside!

So after that awesomeness...Mile Marker 3, followed by the halfway point!

32356680053_b1045e2974_z.jpg

I had a tough time getting back into the groove after standing in such a long line for the Evil Hag. My hip had tightened up...eek! :eek: It felt better as I ran more, thankfully.

So - the blah miles are done. Up next, the way more fun second half of the Princess 10K!

Last edited:
Holding the tape! Yay....celebrity status! Lol! Off to a great start! So excited to read about this course! I wanted to run this course so bad! We would've been together in the same corrals for challenge :( boo!

Yay for the 10K!

I love your pic with the Evil Hag- perfectly creepy! I was really worried about waiting in line for pictures and then having to get back in the groove- I bet it was hard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter