Running and Racing and Dancing and Chasing: A 2017 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Great 10K run and you got some amazing pictures. The Boardwalk all lit up looks great. I'm so jealous of both the Hag and Princess Minnie. And, even with those step sisters in the shot that is one perfect where you are jumping in front of SSE. Love it!

Sooo excited to read about your 5k run! We were in Corral A too but waaay behind ya. That was pretty cool you were in that Disney TV promotional video, although I don't know who that actress is either. Wow you finished the race so quickly! That's so funny the buses weren't even there yet! I'm amazed you were able to go to the parks right after. We're such newbies we just passed out hahaha. I had thoughts of going to the parks after the 5k but that was short-lived after the morning.
Yeah, I'm curious to know where that video is! I want to see if I'm in it! :P

Oh, believe me...I did collapse eventually! Just not yet! :faint:
The 10 k course looks amazing. You have really got me intrigued! And those characters! The old hag...Princess Minnie, so cool!!! Are all the 10k courses the same? I really want to try doing the Dark side one year and I would do the 10k if it's that course. I loved going through Epcot! Congrats again! That's so awesome you did all the races that weekend.
Let's see...this one is the same as the one in January (Marathon Weekend) and November (Wine & Dine). I think they are changing the Dark Side course for this year, but last year it was NOT the same as this one...from all accounts I read that Dark Side 10K course was not popular, and actually kind of a mess for some, so hopefully it will be much better starting this year! :)
You got some great sunrise pictures. The one with Torii Gate looks amazing!
The timing of this race is awesome for seeing some amazing sunrises! That is definitely part of why I like the 10Ks so much! :yay:
Great 10K run and you got some amazing pictures. The Boardwalk all lit up looks great. I'm so jealous of both the Hag and Princess Minnie. And, even with those step sisters in the shot that is one perfect where you are jumping in front of SSE. Love it!
They had great characters for this race! I know I have said it a million times but I am SO happy with the PhotoPass pictures! The CM photographers were pros with the jump shots!

30283442714_d8a2e97845_z.jpg
THIS. IS. AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing....yes, I would definitely have to stop for him...at least once :)

Man, I had a lot of catching up to do but I did it...where's my trip report reading medal?

But you are SO WRONG about the stepsisters in your picture. Don't you get it???
YOU ARE CINDERELLA!!!

Blue outfit, check!
At Disneyworld, check!
Jumping for joy while your stepsisters sulk home, check!!!

I think its pretty awesome but that's just me :)

Joining in and all caught up! I wanna do a run disney race just for the rare characters that they have out. I don't run though lol

THIS. IS. AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing....yes, I would definitely have to stop for him...at least once :)
Oh totally! He's an awesome character! :)
Man, I had a lot of catching up to do but I did it...where's my trip report reading medal?

But you are SO WRONG about the stepsisters in your picture. Don't you get it???
YOU ARE CINDERELLA!!!

Blue outfit, check!
At Disneyworld, check!
Jumping for joy while your stepsisters sulk home, check!!!

I think its pretty awesome but that's just me :)
:eek: :faint:

Mind. Blown. :worship:

Also, I don't have a medal for you, but here's some Pixie Dust! :tinker:
Joining in and all caught up! I wanna do a run disney race just for the rare characters that they have out. I don't run though lol
As @roxymama said, you don't have to run - you can run, walk, do a combination of the two, prancersize, skip, etc. :) You should totally do it!

Great job on the 10K! Great character finds with the evil queen from Snow White and princess Minnie!
Love the 10k course and the distance - it's long enough to feel like you really did some substantial exercise but not so far that you are in pain and exhausted (at least for me!).
Fantastic jump shot photo in front of spaceship earth - I need to try that sometime but I doubt I will look as good!

Oh, how I want to run this darn course!! Running the boardwalk must be awesome!!! It's just the cherry on top of all things Disney and sprinkled with pixie dust!!! Great pics as usual :)

I've had to take a break on the dis because of new time commitments, but NOTHING will stop me from reading an Ariel TR!! :hyper:
Your trip looks great so far! I think its so fun to be the one to "introduce" WDW to people. It looks like your friends got a good taste of it with you being the guide!
You have some awesome race pictures! The 5K finishing picture in front of Spaceship Earth is truly rundisney website worthy. It is SO good!
And I love your Evil Hag pic! That's a pretty cool set up she had.
And your jumping pic. So good! I bet it wouldn't be too hard to photoshop the stepsisters out? :scratchin
Excited to read more!!

We headed into the runner's only area, made a bathroom stop and split up. Tip for future runDisney participants - the porta potties in the staging area ARE NOT the only ones available - there are tons in the runner's only area, too! And they often have no lines! :banana:

I think that kinda amused me at my first runDisney race - the staging area porta potties had super long lines, and the ones near the corrals had much shorter lines. It's kinda funny (although I do understand it ... people don't necessarily know about the second set of porta potties and don't want to miss their opportunity)

Corral A was walked up after the wheelchair racers. Corral B was walked up soon after - since I was at the front, I got to hold the tape!

Yay! That's like runDisney life goals right there!

I was surprised to get a buzz on my watch about 30 seconds before we started the race - a tracking notification that I'd started the 10K! Apparently, in my "I'm up front!" excitement, I had leaned over the starting line and the timing mat caught my bib. Oops!

That's kinda funny and crazy all at the same time. I never would have thought that could happen, but it makes sense ...
Good thing you weren't trying to use this race as a POT :)

Just after mile marker 1, there's a very sharp turn. Princess Elena was out at the turn and her line was huge! I skipped her and made the sharp righthand turn, heading up the highway I'd been looking up at a few minutes earlier.

I feel a need to state for the record that I hate that turn. Sharp turn and then uphill? No thank you.

This picture is amazing! The setup! The hag! Your face!
(I hope you didn't take a bite from the apple!)

"Gosh, Minnie...you’ve always been a princess to me!"
32815312780_08494687c6_z.jpg

I love this picture too! Definitely worth the wait!

I'm glad you enjoyed the 10K - that really is such a great course (minus the highway miles in the first half). Congrats!!

Well, now I need to do a 10k (and a 5k thanks to reading @chunkymonkey's trip report)! Maybe I should have signed up for Dopey...

I was so sad that Princess Minnie was just giving out the big awards at the half - I was really wanting a picture with her! More reason to do a 10k sometime?

Sounds like a great race, and can't wait to read more!

Joining in! I really want to do a RunDisney run one day!! I never seem to be able to get away at the right times...ONE DAY though!!

Great photos of the sunrise at world showcase and boardwalk. And way to get some air on the jumping photo!

Just jumped on board with your TR! My mom and fiance and I are doing our first 5K during Marathon Weekend in January. We're not big runners, me the least of all, but we're training slowly and looking forward to it! Can't believe your hag and Princess Minnie shots! It's crazy to think people were unimpressed with the hag meet...weird. Totally rare. Oh! And I got in on the Landry's membership card you mentioned for our last trip because the fiance likes Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex. It was a $25 fee to sign up, but then they credit you a $25 welcome bonus to use toward a meal, so it's kind of like you just paid that $25 for your food rather than as a fee, and then you get a $25 birthday month credit, too, so if it all times out right then you pay $25, but get $50 off your food (and yes, they'll let you use both credits together.) Definitely worth thinking about if you dine at Landry's restaurants much on your trips.

Great job on the 10K! Great character finds with the evil queen from Snow White and princess Minnie!
Love the 10k course and the distance - it's long enough to feel like you really did some substantial exercise but not so far that you are in pain and exhausted (at least for me!).
Yes, I totally agree! I really do think that's my favorite distance. :)
Fantastic jump shot photo in front of spaceship earth - I need to try that sometime but I doubt I will look as good!
Thanks! The CMs were getting to many requests for them that I am sure they are experts!
Oh, how I want to run this darn course!! Running the boardwalk must be awesome!!! It's just the cherry on top of all things Disney and sprinkled with pixie dust!!! Great pics as usual :)
I think you need a Princess weekend re-do!! :hug: Running the Boardwalk was pretty great, if it's wet it's slippery (they hose it off in the morning...and if it rains, obviously) but otherwise, love it!
I've had to take a break on the dis because of new time commitments, but NOTHING will stop me from reading an Ariel TR!! :hyper:
Welcome back!! :yay:
Your trip looks great so far! I think its so fun to be the one to "introduce" WDW to people. It looks like your friends got a good taste of it with you being the guide!
Yeah, I think it's fun but also sort of pressure-filled, ya know? Like - you want the people to love to love your favorite place as much as you do! K&M did have a good time so I think I accomplished my mission! :wizard:
You have some awesome race pictures! The 5K finishing picture in front of Spaceship Earth is truly rundisney website worthy. It is SO good!
I love that one!!
And I love your Evil Hag pic! That's a pretty cool set up she had.
I agree, I love that they put thought into the backgrounds too!
And your jumping pic. So good! I bet it wouldn't be too hard to photoshop the stepsisters out? :scratchin
Excited to read more!!
Ha! Maybe I'll give that a shot - bye-bye, stepsisters!!
I think that kinda amused me at my first runDisney race - the staging area porta potties had super long lines, and the ones near the corrals had much shorter lines. It's kinda funny (although I do understand it ... people don't necessarily know about the second set of porta potties and don't want to miss their opportunity)
Yes!! When we first got off the bus, there was one loan porta potty right after bag check and like 7-8 people in line...I so wanted to be like, "hey guys, there are TONS more right up there!" I think that was a big thing I learned at my first runDisney race - there are ALWAYS more porta potties!
Yay! That's like runDisney life goals right there!
Now I need to find a new runDisney life goal! :scratchin
That's kinda funny and crazy all at the same time. I never would have thought that could happen, but it makes sense ...
Good thing you weren't trying to use this race as a POT :)
Yeah, I just was not paying attention! And no, this race will NOT be used as a PoT!
I feel a need to state for the record that I hate that turn. Sharp turn and then uphill? No thank you.
Ahhh, me too. I feel like I tip toe around it because I don't want to fall or something, and then BAM - hill!
This picture is amazing! The setup! The hag! Your face!
(I hope you didn't take a bite from the apple!)
:rotfl2: I couldn't just stand there smiling next to the Evil Hag!

And no, I did not take a bite! Didn't go well for Snow, so I thought I'd take a hard pass on that one.
I love this picture too! Definitely worth the wait!
Me toooo. Minnie is my fave!
I'm glad you enjoyed the 10K - that really is such a great course (minus the highway miles in the first half). Congrats!!
I agree. Seriously my favorite course after the marathon!!
Well, now I need to do a 10k (and a 5k thanks to reading @chunkymonkey's trip report)! Maybe I should have signed up for Dopey...
What did you end up signing up for??

I think for future January weekends I'll be doing a 10K/marathon combo. That way I get Minnie and Mickey medals (assuming they don't change the themes of those races) AND a day off in between to sleep in/recover!
I was so sad that Princess Minnie was just giving out the big awards at the half - I was really wanting a picture with her! More reason to do a 10k sometime?
I really think they tend to have some more rare characters during the 10Ks! I wish she had been out during the half, too!
Sounds like a great race, and can't wait to read more!
Thanks!!
Joining in! I really want to do a RunDisney run one day!! I never seem to be able to get away at the right times...ONE DAY though!!
:wave: You totally should, they are really fun! :yay:
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I'm loving all your photos from the course! I just know you're going to hit a wall at some point in this trip soon. Hopefully it's not during the half!
Thanks! I did indeed hit the wall eventually! :faint:
Great photos of the sunrise at world showcase and boardwalk. And way to get some air on the jumping photo!
This race is at the perfect time to see some awesome sunrises - love it!!

I'm so glad I was able to jump and not come down on my ankle wrong or something! :eek:
Just jumped on board with your TR! My mom and fiance and I are doing our first 5K during Marathon Weekend in January. We're not big runners, me the least of all, but we're training slowly and looking forward to it!
Oh awesome, that sounds fun! If you're already getting ready for it now I am sure you will have no problem by the time the race is here!
Can't believe your hag and Princess Minnie shots! It's crazy to think people were unimpressed with the hag meet...weird. Totally rare.
I know! Maybe they didn't know who she is...which, run out and see Snow White, people!! ::yes::
Oh! And I got in on the Landry's membership card you mentioned for our last trip because the fiance likes Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex. It was a $25 fee to sign up, but then they credit you a $25 welcome bonus to use toward a meal, so it's kind of like you just paid that $25 for your food rather than as a fee, and then you get a $25 birthday month credit, too, so if it all times out right then you pay $25, but get $50 off your food (and yes, they'll let you use both credits together.) Definitely worth thinking about if you dine at Landry's restaurants much on your trips.
Ah, okay thanks!! This is helpful! :yay: I knew they also owned T-Rex but forgot that they also own Rainforest Cafe. So weird that there are restaurants in the parks not owned by Disney (I said after getting, like, 8 Starbucks beverages in the parks that weekend :teeth:)!

"We call it...EP-COT!"

No waiting for the bus today! I was done at about 7:20 and hopped right on a bus back to AKL. M was at the gym and K was still running, so I had the room to myself to get cleaned up. I got everything ready for my last race of the weekend. Some of you may not agree with my matching skills for this last outfit, but I was so excited for it!!

32326718084_a0dc1da01a_z.jpg

M and K returned soon after I was out of the shower, and I was bummed to hear that K didn't have a very good race! :( Apparently people in her corral were very pushy trying to get up to the front at the last minute (when she’d been there waiting for an hour) because they were planning on walking the race and did not want to get swept. Which...if you want to be up front with your friends, fine, but maybe get there earlier! And someone threatened to punch someone else! What?? Then, due to the long corral wait, K decided to stop for an early porta potty with a long line and almost got swept - even though she was in the first wave of F! She finished, but I don't think she had very much fun due to the issues she had at the start. :(

I was so bummed for her! Up to this point I'd had 2 fantastic races and was really thinking that Princess Weekend gets a bad rap...but I guess it's different for everyone. Just be nice and considerate, people! Crazy!

M and I vowed to cheer K up. We headed to Boma for a celebratory breakfast!

Round 1 for me. I did have a Round 2 but forgot a picture.

32356662963_a6e5c03a49_z.jpg

Jungle/POG juice!

33015527432_6929b7d171_z.jpg

Such a good breakfast! We were all happy!

After Boma, K and I headed back upstairs to take a nap while M hung out poolside. Today's park of choice was Epcot!

After our sleep break, we freshened up and headed to the park. First stop was the Test Track single rider line. The wait was posted at 30 minutes...I'm not a huge fan of Test Track (and thus hadn't made a FP+ for it), but K and M wanted to ride and I knew the wait would only get longer from here, so we hopped in line. The wait ended up being longer than what was posted since the ride broke down, but we did get to ride eventually.

Next - Starbucks! Oh Mel, where are you??? ;)

32326714294_0570ac65c4_z.jpg

We headed to Living with the Land and Soarin' next (FP+ for both, I think...definitely for Soarin'). I insisted on waiting for front row center seats for Soarin', which was a good decision - the distortion is not at all noticeable there!

Love that we got to see some Flower & Garden goodness!

33015524782_818972a6b9_z.jpg

Photobombed by the monorail...only in Disney!

33172042585_bae38c64d9_z.jpg

My favorite medal shot of the weekend with my favorite medal of the weekend! :)

32356660583_bf3f16d597_z.jpg

Ice cream in France! Yum! This is the apple cinnamon crunch flavor, probably my favorite snack in all of WDW!

32356660303_9d3255557a_z.jpg

We putzed around World Showcase for a bit, just taking it all in. Love it here.
33172034215_1d353ddb64_z.jpg

PIZZA YAAASSSSS

Dinner tonight was at Via Napoli - another one in my top 5!
33172033855_4ce2fa8d1e_z.jpg

I started with the caprese salad.

33015519792_bfe22867f1_z.jpg

I got a pepperoni pizza. M got something with broccoli (she's the healthy eater of the group).

32326710684_65af90c0ac_z.jpg

K got the prosciutto/melon pizza.

33044343991_23ccf851b2_z.jpg

Everyone was super happy with this one! I just LOVE Via Napoli!

After dinner, I had to GO. :faint: I was getting tired and I still had the half left! We stopped in Karamel Kuche and I got a dark chocolate sea salt caramel. It was just okay. M got a caramel apple cookie (which is probably what I'll go with the next time I visit Karamel Kuche) and dropped it almost immediately because I made her laugh (my bad), but the CM gave her a new one! Thanks, CM!

We'd missed a SSE fastpass earlier, but the wait time was short (walk-on) now so we hopped on...despite being tired, I can't leave Epcot without a SSE ride! How else will I know my future?!

33015515072_16f4010ef2_z.jpg

See? If I'd left without riding SSE, I wouldn't know that I will be 100% OK! :wizard:
32326707684_7d8f9ee9f3_z.jpg

K & M had originally planned on staying to see Illuminations, but decided to come back with me instead since K had to pack up and get ready to leave the next morning. WAHH!! We left Epcot at about 8:20 and I was in bed much later than I'd hoped to be - after 10. Arg!

32326707434_7d9c2b39ac_z.jpg

Up next: the 2017 Princess Half Marathon!

Fitbit results:

Steps: 31,575
Miles: 14.91

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter