rum point don't miss it

annster31

Earning My Ears
on the magic now, just got back from rum point, avis car $65 (gas included) beach free, cahirs, sun fantastic sand, watersports reasonable, food and drink reasonable, 50 min ride and the funny thing is you can still see the ship..... weird but true. :rolleyes1

We are very interested in doing this in June. I've been reading up on renting a car through Avis. How much of a hassle was it to pick up the car at the airport, was it time consuming? I would also like more info on the food at Rum Point...I hear its expensive.
Did you stop anywhere other than Rum Point?
How easy was the driving on the other side of the road?
Way cool that you can see the ship!!!
How many ships were in port that day?
Sorry so many questions but we are really excited about doing this. So jealous you are cruizin now..sent the kids to school and the temp is -1%.

We missed GC on our Thanksgiving Western! We had lined up a private charter boat to go snorkeling, stingrays, and then to Rum Point for lunch. When we got to GC, the tenders could not come out due to rough seas. We were really bummed out. I have heard that Rum Point is one of the prettiest beaches in the world.

Willie

Rum Point is great. We were there in late April. We went via the DCL excursion, and it takes a while to get there with getting everyone together on the pier than moving them to the busses, and then to the other dock to take the ferry. The plus was the kids napped on the Ferry ride back and were all rested for dinner.

The food was very good, not sure if it was expensive since it was included with the excursion.

Yes you can see the ship from Rum Point. Below is a picture from the beach, the Magic and other ships are on the horizon. Not easy to see in this picture.

751486974203_0_ALB.jpg

Someone once said that DCL has exclusive rights when they are in port, so no other ship can send an excursion to Rum Point. There where some non-DCL people there, but it was not crowded at all.

I too would recommend Rum Point. We rented a car (avis) through www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com. Pickup is by shuttle at the blue iguana at the pier. About a 10 minute ride over to the airport location. We were last off the minivan so last in line to get our cheap car ($43 including insurance and gas). Lucky us. Ahh, but 10 minutes later when they got to us, everyone else took all the cheap cars, so we got a free upgrade to a black jeep! Woohoo! We drove the long way around the island past the blowholes, to the wreck of 10 sails (you can actually see the ship laying out there!) and some awesome mansions/homes on the east side. We got to Rum Point around 10am, so I don't think it took too long overall.

We pre-booked a stingray snorkel through red sail sports that started around 11:15. Good thing is rum point is closer to stingray sandbar so it only takes 15 minutes by boat. Yes, its true you can see the ships across the bay. When we were on our stingray snorkel trip, an elderly couple said, "boy look at all those cruise ships. Sure glad we are on this side of the island away from all those people" Then, they asked where we were staying. Alas, we had to tell them "on the cruise ship"!!! ha ha.

We didn't eat at Rum Point, but the outdoor cafes smelled wonderful with fresh fish a grilling! We had brought our collapsible cooler with some sandwiches and water from the ship. You can't actually eat them at Rum Point though...for that we had to walk back to the car, which is very close to the beach anyway. Some nice shops. No chair hogs at all! A great location to get away from all of the hubub of the other passengers. We took the short way back (about 30 minutes) cutting across the island and still had plenty of time to shop in town before reboarding the ship.

I would definitely recommend a visit to Rum Point!

My family was on the Nov. 5th magic and we were on the first tender which I believe was around 7 or 7:30 I can't remember. We walked over to the blue iguana store, someone from avis was at the store within 10 minutes. It did only take about 10 minutes to get over to avis we were the only ones there. We rented a jeep ($69.00). The drive over to rum point was beautiful it took about 1 hour. My DH forgot his license on the ship, so I had to drive. At first I was a little nervous about driving on the opposite side of the road. But after I got used to it, it was fine. The restuarant on the beach was very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not cheap my DH and I got grilled chicken sandwiches, and my DS11 ordered a hamburger and other DS7 ordered chicken fingers we spent including tip $67.00, this did not include alcohol either. Also, if you want to go over to stingray city, do not wait till you get there that day, that is what we did and I tried to book the excursion with red sails and the women said the earliest time we would be able to go was 2:30 we would have never made it back to the ship. She said the morning was completely booked by the Disney excursions. So I would advise you definitely try to book with them before you leave for the cruise. Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter