ROTR lottery needs to end.

Forgive me if this is off-topic or has already been asked/answered, but I'm curious if there's been an estimate of what percentage of people attempting to get a RoTR boarding pass and doing everything "right" actually get one?

I'm planning our first Disney trip and my DH is a huge Star Wars fan, such that Galaxy's Edge and this ride in particular are a big draw for the trip. My travel agent has said that the boarding passes arent really that hard to get if you do it right, but other comments seem to disagree with this. I've actually been thinking about adjusting our park tickets/reservations specifically to get extra changes at securing a boarding group. So, I've been reading this thread with some interest and would love to know how hard it actually is to get one!

Forgive me if this is off-topic or has already been asked/answered, but I'm curious if there's been an estimate of what percentage of people attempting to get a RoTR boarding pass and doing everything "right" actually get one?

I'm planning our first Disney trip and my DH is a huge Star Wars fan, such that Galaxy's Edge and this ride in particular are a big draw for the trip. My travel agent has said that the boarding passes arent really that hard to get if you do it right, but other comments seem to disagree with this. I've actually been thinking about adjusting our park tickets/reservations specifically to get extra changes at securing a boarding group. So, I've been reading this thread with some interest and would love to know how hard it actually is to get one!
The BGs are gone within seconds, not minutes. That tells me that it’s difficult. Not technically oh it’s so confusing difficult but it’s one minute after 7 so there’s no hope difficult.

I think that it would get lower. Right now people are riding it more than once during their visit because they may get a boarding pass more than once. If on the other hand these people saw a wait of more than 1-2 hours, as is often the case on FOP or SDD, they would not try to ride again thus freeing up space for someone else.
But even with the boarding group you can wait 1-2 hours. And if these folks have done the ride before they would know that. So idk if this would help much.

Not sure about actual numbers but there are people each day who know what they're doing, have practiced and do everything right yet still do not get a BG. They are gone within seconds at both 7 AM and 1 PM.

You can try to book additional days at DHS but this comes with the risk that you may find you have too many days booked at DHS and are unable to change to a different park due to all parks being at capacity. That situation has happened to some and they find themselves in a predicament of wanting to be at a different park as they've done all they want to do at DHS but unable to change their reservation.

Each person needs to choose which method works best for them.

Why shouldn't they be able to get more than one per day? The same reason you were initially given only three FPs per day, give someone else a chance.
Once a day is a reasonable limit and far easier to keep track of than “once per trip” since the latter is totally variable. If my trip is 4 days and yours is 7, do we both only get one chance? They aren’t going to get into that level of complexity.

The ride breaking down is a totally different problem.

It's a separate problem NOW. But if ROTR had a standby line AND broke down frequently, making that line drag on endlessly or, worse case, sending people packing with NO ride after having waited for hours, you can bet it'd be a very BIG problem for guests and the park.

From other posts on VIP tours, you will be able to soon. That ”fee” is pretty big though.

Dear god, no. The last thing Disney needs to do is stratify people even MORE based on their income levels. While there are countless ways being rich affords you advantages in the parks (not to mention, you know, life), getting on a ride should be utterly democratic where everyone has the same chance and you can't buy your way ahead of others.

Dear god, no. The last thing Disney needs to do is stratify people even MORE based on their income levels. While there are countless ways being rich affords you advantages in the parks (not to mention, you know, life), getting on a ride should be utterly democratic where everyone has the same chance and you can't buy your way ahead of others.
Unfortunately, it has continued to happen all across Disney more and more. From being able to afford to be on site at the resorts, to dessert party’s for access better viewing spots and the specific VIP tours. Look how long the thread is about FP going away to be replaced with a paid version.

Unfortunately, it has continued to happen all across Disney more and more. From being able to afford to be on site at the resorts, to dessert party’s for access better viewing spots and the specific VIP tours. Look how long the thread is about FP going away to be replaced with a paid version.

Where's the thread?

I would sincerely love the same app that doesn’t recognize I have a resort reservation half the time and logs me out when I sneeze to somehow be trusted with a sophisticated algorithm keeping track of how many times I’ve gone on a ride, where I’m staying, the phase of the moon and what my blood type is in order to rank my chances for said ride.

Sorry to those who can’t get BGs, I really feel for you, but it’s not my fault I played video games for 35 years while y’all were busy having lives beneath the light of the cursed daystar, surely I’m allowed to reap some benefit from it at some point besides being an endless font of useless trivia about fictional characters to other nerds

I really think this online race to vie for daily rides on ROTR is terrible. Why not change it to regular que lines like everything else?
I think it's crap that Disney does this especially when everyone is on an equal playing field as far as everyone essentially has paid the price of admission but not all guests cannot be guaranteed a ride who want one. I understand why it's used but I think their IT needs to track MDE rides and give priority to those that have never ridden this ride before. But knowing how horrible disney IT is, that's likely not going to happen and would be hard, if it all possible to track. I do think they could add ROTR as a perk to being an on site guest, that would either weed out locals/off site guests or boost booking throw away reservations, poor optics for WDW to exclude them but maybe make the morning join for on site guests only and open the 1pm boarding window for non resort guests.

I gave up an Epcot day(my favorite park) to get 2 DHS days. We did have park hoppers, so we hopped to Epcot one afternoon so we did not miss that park.

Key for us was that I was familiar with the app before we left home. I then showed the app to my husband and kids.

Dh was really wanting to go on the Rise.

I had him look at the process of trying to get a ticket with me one morning so the he could understand that we would try to get the pass, but they truly are gone within seconds. Once he saw that, some of the pressure on me to 'make it happen ' was off. He then understood what I had been trying to get him to understand.

We were fortunate that I did get a BG on our first day and our son got one on our 2nd day and dh was still saying but I did this and this and couldn't get in. Yeah buddy, that's how it works.

For me, showing our family that it's not guaranteed even if you do everything right, took pressure off me and helped them understand how lucky we were.

You may recall that when you had to scan into the park to get a BG, they were typically lasting anywhere from 5-30 minutes or more (long live the chart!). So even those who who were completely inept tech-wise, still had plenty of chance. They could even just go get help from a CM to get their BG. But they had to get up early to ensure that they had scanned in on time, and many considered that unfair because they couldn't get there early enough.

I've been reading this thread bopping my opinion back and forth on whether being in the park is a good restriction or not. I went to RotR pre-covid and the experience was pretty good. First try we did excellent thanks to practicing before going down to FL. The second time would have been fine too except for the fact that the resort bus didn't show up for an hour (It worked out because we were there before full nuttiness happened and being a minute or two late through the tapstyles didn't shut us out completely). I'm kind of 'oh, it would be nice to not have to be in the park.' I also think it is underhanded of Disney to require you to be in the park only to be denied after using your ticket entry.
The main argument for bringing back the in-the-park requirement would be to tamp down on the local AP. Being able to get a boarding group from home must be great for locals. No fuss and they only have to take the trek to Disney if they get a BG. I don't know how many people this actually is though. BG went really fast even with the in-park requirement before too.

I think Disney should secretly and non-transparently turn the BG process into a lottery. Maybe they already do! What I see is have people jam the app for BG and shove everyone to a "looking for BG" screen for the first minute or so. During this time, collect all comers and then distribute BG randomly to everyone that made it in during the window. This would alleviate some of the tech-savvy advantage.

I also think Disney should do the same thing transparently, but I also realize the BG hunt is there to shift blame to the guest and not be on Disney. That way people without BG 'failed' to get a BG instead of 'Disney didn't pick me.'

During this time, collect all comers and then distribute BG randomly to everyone that made it in during the window. This would alleviate some of the tech-savvy advantage.

How would people be notified of this? Via the app? Those without smartphones are similarly at a disadvantage because they’d have no way of knowing if they were chosen. Have them go to a kiosk? I’m sure that would end lovely for those not chosen.

I gave up an Epcot day(my favorite park) to get 2 DHS days. We did have park hoppers, so we hopped to Epcot one afternoon so we did not miss that park.

Key for us was that I was familiar with the app before we left home. I then showed the app to my husband and kids.

Dh was really wanting to go on the Rise.

I had him look at the process of trying to get a ticket with me one morning so the he could understand that we would try to get the pass, but they truly are gone within seconds. Once he saw that, some of the pressure on me to 'make it happen ' was off. He then understood what I had been trying to get him to understand.

We were fortunate that I did get a BG on our first day and our son got one on our 2nd day and dh was still saying but I did this and this and couldn't get in. Yeah buddy, that's how it works.

For me, showing our family that it's not guaranteed even if you do everything right, took pressure off me and helped them understand how lucky we were.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm also hoping that practicing a bunch at home will 1) help with actually getting a boarding group on our HS day and 2) give us a better idea about what our real chances of getting one on the actual day are! I appreciate all the thoughts and input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter