ROTR lottery needs to end.

I understand that it's just a rumor. But that thread was literally started two years ago. I'm sure this rumor comes up all the time, but until there are actual facts, it seems foolish to speculate and worry unnecessarily.

A huge portion of people here love speculating and worrying unnecessarily!

One way to do most of these suggestions: (would have to wait until it was a reliable as your average Disney ride)

Make it FP only with no standby, and only allow one FP at a time in the MDE account. They could have additional day-of drops for people in the park if it was reliable.

Y'll remember that patent on Virtual Queue tech? That could handle the requests too. I don't particularly like the black-box approach, but I can't say I blame them.

I gave up an Epcot day(my favorite park) to get 2 DHS days. We did have park hoppers, so we hopped to Epcot one afternoon so we did not miss that park.

Key for us was that I was familiar with the app before we left home. I then showed the app to my husband and kids.

Dh was really wanting to go on the Rise.

I had him look at the process of trying to get a ticket with me one morning so the he could understand that we would try to get the pass, but they truly are gone within seconds. Once he saw that, some of the pressure on me to 'make it happen ' was off. He then understood what I had been trying to get him to understand.

We were fortunate that I did get a BG on our first day and our son got one on our 2nd day and dh was still saying but I did this and this and couldn't get in. Yeah buddy, that's how it works.

For me, showing our family that it's not guaranteed even if you do everything right, took pressure off me and helped them understand how lucky we were.
Good plan 😊
Your husband may have gotten a group, just know you and son were at least a tiny fraction of a second ahead of him for the system to shut him out once you guys snagged a BG. Can’t know for sure he would’ve been too late.

In the opening months the RotR board thoroughly dissected every aspect lol. There really is no better alternative than VQ. All other alternatives quickly showed worse flaws than the current type of system.

On that very active board we did notice there were hardly any reports of people trying on 2 days and not succeeding for at least one. Very rare. Not impossible but so rare it was only mentioned a couple times while success was reported for hundreds of parties.

Consider those 2 aspects together. If the thought of needing to buy 2 HS tickets to secure your RotR chances sounds stinky, well basically the same would happen if the ride offered a regular standby line anyway. Look at FoP and the 300 minute lines often reached there. 5 hours. Could get longer for RotR even. That would not leave enough time to do the rest of HS in a day therefore prompting most visitors to need a second HS ticket day anyway.

I like VQ system but it needs to lend better to those who haven’t ridden before. Surely the app could track hoe many times you’ve been on ROTR and allocate accordingly
I’m not sure that’s easy for them to accomplish. I can buy a park ticket with my middle name in a separate MDE account. They will think I’ve never ridden before.

And it’s more complicated than that. One person can have visited HS 10 times and ridden 5 times. Someone else visited 5 times with only riding the first day and now wants to ride again. Somebody shows up with their first ticket ever purchased. Who gets priority?

Say I was going to take a second trip down to WDW this year. I rode RotR in Jan. When I arrive in Sept, should I be shut out in favor of people who didn’t visit yet this year?

Any system like that would have many flaws.

Just put in a lottery for every party with park reservations. If they are "ahead of schedule" by 1pm because some don't want to ride, do a boarding group drop.

Here would be my fix; Give you the option of getting a ROTR BG when you make your park reservations. This would encourage everyone to purchase tickets as far out as possible since you can't get a park reservation without a ticket. That way you know when you get your park reservation of you are getting a BG and can decide what to do right then - not at 7a day-of. Right now, far too many people are getting multiple park reservations for DHS to maximize their chances of getting a BG when they know full well they won't be going to DHS more than 1 day. This blocks out those dates to other people and makes it look like DHS is "full" when it really isn't. Keep the 1p BG drop for if operations go better than expected or people decide not to ride.

Here would be my fix; Give you the option of getting a ROTR BG when you make your park reservations. This would encourage everyone to purchase tickets as far out as possible since you can't get a park reservation without a ticket.

I really like this idea.

I've thought it would be nice if people could do ADR's the same way. If you really really want a CRT ADR, what happens when you can't get it on your MK day? If you could do your ADR's at the same time as your park reservations, you could just make your MK day, the day that you got CRT.

After experiencing the boarding group anxiety for myself and reading though this thread, I have 2 main thoughts. First, I really hope that this does not become the norm for all new attractions. I am already worried about potentially going to Disneyland next summer and having to deal with this process for both RotR and Spiderman. We park hop more at Disneyland, but I can't be getting a boarding group for 2 attractions at the same time, so it will take more planning and gambling to decide which pass to go for on which days and at which times. I would hate to multiply that at Disney World across 4 parks. 1 or 2 days having to deal with the stress was not bad, but I don't want to have to do it every day of my trip.

My other thought is about the speculation of what the standby line would be like. Everyone assumes it would be unmanageable, but I feel like we don't actually know that. There have been popular attractions open and have long wait initially for sure. I think about FoP and Frozen. But, I agree with the posters who talk about queue psychology. I think that more people go for BG because there is a competitive nature to it. It is elusive so it makes it more desirable. I am not convinced that waits would stay sky high for long if they changed it to a traditional system.

I guess, overall, I am not sure I find the system unfair or awful, but I am also not sure that I believe it is 100% necessary. What I do know is, that I will not be pleased if the next 4 headliners that open use this same system without a plan to return to a regular queue. I, for one, don't want to compete for virtual line passes my whole vacation. I would honestly rather stand in line for an hour looking at the queue and playing games with my kids than have to walk away from my family multiple times a day to find a quiet spot with good signal so I can focus on getting a spot.

For those thinking code could be created for times visited, times ridden, dates, etc.....consider what we've experienced with basic IT changes in the past.......

E.g. Last Friday was my 60 day ADR booking day. I couldn't book on my computer because MDE wasn't recognizing my login as being 60 days even though I have tickets and park reservations booked. To me, that one's simple but it still shut me out on my laptop and had to book everything on my phone.

Consider those 2 aspects together. If the thought of needing to buy 2 HS tickets to secure your RotR chances sounds stinky, well basically the same would happen if the ride offered a regular standby line anyway. Look at FoP and the 300 minute lines often reached there. 5 hours. Could get longer for RotR even. That would not leave enough time to do the rest of HS in a day therefore prompting most visitors to need a second HS ticket day anyway.

For me, $300 to get one theme park done is a prompt to head somewhere else.

I’m not sure that’s easy for them to accomplish. I can buy a park ticket with my middle name in a separate MDE account. They will think I’ve never ridden before.

And it’s more complicated than that. One person can have visited HS 10 times and ridden 5 times. Someone else visited 5 times with only riding the first day and now wants to ride again. Somebody shows up with their first ticket ever purchased. Who gets priority?

I think they need to start with all the locals (AP holder locals). The Instagrammers, the youtubers, etc. They clog the damn parks and lines up so much these days. Sure, the should get to ride too, even multiple times, but limit it to twice a month.

Say I was going to take a second trip down to WDW this year. I rode RotR in Jan. When I arrive in Sept, should I be shut out in favor of people who didn’t visit yet this year?

No. That's not an excessive amount of rides. In fact, I think twice a year is a perfect balance.

I had a BWV stay in December 2019 and was able to ride a couple of times.

There were massive crowds to get in.

View attachment 583470

The current system is a big improvement but the technically challenged have no chance of getting a Boarding Group.

I was at Guest Relations in May 2021 renewing my Annual Pass and happened to overhear a Cast Member trying to explain to an elderly woman how to get a Boarding Group. The Cast Member was very professional but I could hear in her voice that she knew this woman had no chance.

Disney really needs to come up with a system that favors those who have never been on ROTR.
or have no clue about vq
the only reason I know is from coming here. All my “normal” Disney friends have no idea till I tell them and some have gone thinking it’s just like any other ride to find out it’s not.

First, I really hope that this does not become the norm for all new attractions. I am already worried about potentially going to Disneyland next summer and having to deal with this process for both RotR and Spiderman. We park hop more at Disneyland, but I can't be getting a boarding group for 2 attractions at the same time, so it will take more planning and gambling to decide which pass to go for on which days and at which times. I would hate to multiply that at Disney World across 4 parks. 1 or 2 days having to deal with the stress was not bad, but I don't want to have to do it every day of my trip.
Even if they were to implement VQ on other rides, I highly doubt it would be as competitive or stressful as ROTR.

My other thought is about the speculation of what the standby line would be like. Everyone assumes it would be unmanageable, but I feel like we don't actually know that. There have been popular attractions open and have long wait initially for sure. I think about FoP and Frozen. But, I agree with the posters who talk about queue psychology. I think that more people go for BG because there is a competitive nature to it. It is elusive so it makes it more desirable. I am not convinced that waits would stay sky high for long if they changed it to a traditional system.
Again, the issue with a standby line is not just due to the length of line it would produce. It has to do with the unreliability of the ride. It is not predictable in terms of performance or throughput which makes a standby line extremely difficult to manage.

Here would be my fix; Give you the option of getting a ROTR BG when you make your park reservations. This would encourage everyone to purchase tickets as far out as possible since you can't get a park reservation without a ticket. That way you know when you get your park reservation of you are getting a BG and can decide what to do right then - not at 7a day-of. Right now, far too many people are getting multiple park reservations for DHS to maximize their chances of getting a BG when they know full well they won't be going to DHS more than 1 day. This blocks out those dates to other people and makes it look like DHS is "full" when it really isn't. Keep the 1p BG drop for if operations go better than expected or people decide not to ride.

I think park tickets would significantly decrease in this model. If RotR is the driver to going to the park, people would then say "I didn't get a BG, lets go somewhere else". Not a good model for Disney trying to maximize capacity.

For the people that liked the 7am BG to only be for people in the park. That didn't work out because then there was a HUGE crowd of people there at 7am, and all the lines were obscenely long because all those people were there and needed something to do.

My concern is that you can go to WDW for a week (or longer) and still might never get a chance to ride. That's very disappointing when you're flying long distance and you might not get a chance to go back for a year or more.

Disney could charge $25 for a guaranteed spot on ROTR and people would gladly pay it-- maybe that could be limited to once per trip, just to be sure you'll get on the ride at least once. Given it's limited capacity, it can be seen as an upcharge experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter