Room Change Rant (Long)

mitymott

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
We are just back from a great week at WLV. There was only one set back to the trip. When we arr. and checked in we were told that our room was handicapped accessable. We asked what that ment, we were told that the only( I repeat only) diff to the room was a walk in shower instead of a tub. As the room was not yet ready we left to spend the day at the park. Fast fwd to 10pm when we go to the room to find no closet, no in room safe, no seperate sink and vanity area, and a hand held shower spray that had less pressure than the rain we walked through all day. I went to the front desk and ruquested another room and was 1st told no. I then asked to speak with a mgr and was told that I req a studio and thats what I got. I told her of how the room was described to me and the if it had been explained in detail that I would have never accepted the room in the first place. She stated that it is not hotel policy to describe any diff in hp rooms with the exception of a walk in shower. I told her I did not agree and that I wanted a diff room. She would only do this if we paid a 25.00 room change fee. She said she couldn't do anything about the fee because I was staying on points instead of cash. The way she said points was like she was looking down at me. Now to be fair, by this point I was both tired and throughly annoyed so my perception may be skewed a bit. Should I call member ser to complain? Would it do any good? Will MS refund the fee?
Sorry for the long rant, but if anyone will understand it's the people here. Thanks again,
P.S. We had a great week and the crowds were light

I would call MS....it couldn't hurt, the worst they can say is no, and you won't be any worse off than you are.

I would have been upset too. I don't understand -It's not their "policy" to describe the room any differently than to describe the shower?:confused: :mad: That sounds like a scam.

It also concerns me that it seems like you were treated like second class because you were staying on points. Obviously they had another room available.

And can someone explain the room change fee of $25? I can understand if you have occupied the room already (they need to clean it) but what's the charge for if they are just reassigning a room?

We changed rooms at VWL and were not charged a $25 fee. As soon as we walked into the room my bf decided that it was not acceptable that we were on the 1st floor, and we went back to the front desk to request a change. The only cost we incurred was having to tip the bell man twice for bringing our luggage to two different rooms.

Boy, mitymott, do I understand your experience! At least you were told you had a HA room! We weren't even told that at VWL. Then when we called just a few minutes after we got to the room to complain and ask for a room change (remember, we didn't even know we weren't getting a tub), we were told we'd "of course" have to pay the $25. We told them we considered that unfair, it was left that way, and we stayed where we were. In retrospect, we wish we'd paid the $25, and complained after. We did complain afterwards anyways. BTW, just curious, what studio was it? Ours was #3546(?). I'd definitely complain if I were you-that's grossly unfair! Please keep us updated on what happens-I'm interested.

The written policy is that they can charge a room change fee if you have left the check-in area. Is it fair to make you pay if you walked into the room were unhappy and requested a change? No, I don't think that it is but that is the stated and written policy. I suppose they can't take a chance that someone used the bathroom etc. and should do a cleaning. I'm not sure whether that is what actually happens.

HC rooms are great for those who need and want they. I am glad that they are available. Someday I might need to use one myself.

I had the same experience. My one saving grace was I took the key and went to the room before the luggage arrived. I was not told that the room was a HC room. One step inside and I knew I would be unhappy in that room. I am a bath person, no tub was a big thing to me. I have knee and IT band tendinitis and soaking in the tub relief some of the pain. I went right to the front desk and after much discussion I was moved from a studio to a 1 bedroom. They wanted to charge me for an upgrade since no other studios were available. I had made my reservation early and knew that there were other studios still available at that time. I had talk to MS and asked about it. I wanted to know how busy the resort might be at that time of year - September and would be checking-in very late about 10:30 PM. MS said there were several studios still open, no problems. It looks like I got what ever was left at the end of the day. After the manager check the date I made my reservation and the fact I wanted him to call Jackie Lueders, Member Satisfaction Manager to find a solution help move things along. But he still wanted to charge me for the upgrade.

I did speak to Jackie several times after my trip and she was wonderful. There are several factors that go into room assignments, she explained. One factor has to do with the day of the week you arrive. You have a better chance of getting what you want if you arrive on a Saturday or Sunday, less on Monday or Friday, and what ever is available on the rest of the week regardless of when you make your reservations. It has to do with lap over and filling those rooms for the lenght of the stay. The way she explained, I did understand. My situation was resolved to my satisfaction but I can see how that might not happen again.

I am now a little wiser, I know what I need to do to avoid that situation. If you have a medical reason and need a tub, make it part of your reservation. Most important - don't lose your temper. Keep telling the front desk how dissappointed you are and why. Ask if they can do some magic and make you a happy guest and Walt proud. I will plan on arriving at a resort on Friday late or early Saturday. (More points, I know) If I need to, I will stay off properity the first night. I will always ask if the room assigned is HC before I leave the front desk. If it is, I will inquiry if there is standard room available or when it might become available. If one will become available during your stay, take it. Ask about an upgrade, see if they will give it to you until the regular room is available. A couple days in a HC room until the standard room is ready might be your only recourse. You might even try changing resorts for all or part of your stay. See if they can make this happen and make your vacation magical. Only use Jackie as a last effort. Have the front desk call her in your presents during business hours. What ever the result, don't let it ruin your vacation. You can make magic happen!

Member Satisfaction Manager, Jackie Lueders, by calling 800-800-9800,
sending an email to members@disneyvactionclub.com (subject: ATTN
JACKIE LUEDERS), or write to: Disney Vacation Club, Attn: Jackie Lueders, 200 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747.

Here are some reasons for changing rooms without a charge:
Room condition...such as leaks, broken air conditioner, stove, refrig
or the inability to function for medical reasons.

If you occupy the room more than 5 -10 minutes than a change room fee can be incurred. If othe rooms are available, you may request an change due to noise, no views, HC vs Standard for a fee.

I hope I help a little.

Sandy B.

On one of our trips to BWV we changed rooms without being charged a fee. We had specifically said that we did not want a view of the Swan or Dolphin. As soon as we walked into our room , I went to the window and you guessed it, a view of the pool and The Swan and Dolphin. I turned to the bellman and said that this room is not acceptable---he said to call the front desk immediately which I did. They asked if we had touched anything, I said no, the bellman is still here. They asked to talk to him and when he got off the phone he took us across the hall to a room with a boardwalk view. NO charge. Of course this is also the trip where WDW lost power for three days and we had to take cold showers and the restaurants couldn't cook !! Somehow we still had a good trip for our 25th anniversary.

We also got our room changed at no charge at BWV, in our case it was because we were on the third floor overlooking the dumpster behind the red building. I called immediately and told them the room was not acceptable, I had a preferred room, and a dumpster didn't meet my criteria for preferred. They didn't want to change me, but they did, to a lovely room overrlooking the quiet pool, where I was much, much happier:smooth:

Count your blessings that you do not need handicapped accomodations. We were given such a room in July at OKW without our knowledge and made do just fine. Everyone can adapt. Be happy, you are home!

We were given a HC room at BCV in January, but were not told it was HC. We didn't realize it until the bellman was gone and we started looking around. So I called the front desk right away and asked nicely if we could be changed to a non-HC room in order to have a tub. The front desk was happy to accommodate and we did not get charged a fee.

I will remember next time to verify BEFORE leaving the check-in desk that my room assignment is NOT handicapped. My concern is my upcoming trip next week. We will not reach the hotel until 10:30 or 11:00 PM. I hope we won't have to take a HC room by default because it's the only kind left. If that's the case, then we'll live with it and proceed to have a great time.

Zimbubba makes a good point. I should count my blessings every day that I don't actually have need of a HC room. :D

When we checked into the BCV I specifically asked if we were assigned a HC room, as we really wanted a tub for our 2 year old. This was in a studio.

Another CM overheard & said she tries to look at the age of the kids when assigning rooms, so that those with little ones do get tubs. SO, if you're booked into a studio with no kids & want a tub, definitely request one!

Thanks TwirlerGirl for sharing your story and advice on how to get what we need to have a wonderful stay. I've never had any troubles yet but if I do, I am better prepared to handle. :wave:

I was told my room at OKW was HCA when I checked in. When I asked why they would assign me a HCA room, the CM tried to say I had requested it. Of course I did not. I was traveling with DD4 who is not fond of showers, she is used to a tub. They said they had nothing else available so I took it. In retrospect I should have held out for an upgrade. I had booked many months in advance and I checked in early on a Sat. Sounds like I did all the right things according to the good advice on this post. The room was okay except for the shower and DD had a little trouble with the heighth of the toilet. I am thankful that we didn't need the room and that we are generally healthy, I thank the good Lord everyday. We did have a struggle with the shower and life would have been easier with a tub for DD. Lesson learned. I will always specify what I want when I make my reservation and will confirm my request again when I check in.

It takes a LOT for a message board to make my blood boil, but guess what this thread did it!

I hope that those of you who complain and whine about having to use a Handicapped Accessible room never have to travel with a handicapped person who really needs a room when there aren't any available. THEN you will know difficulty, now you are just behaving like children who did not get their way.

The person who needed a tub for medical reasons should have mentioned it on his/her reservation.

Yes, I have had the handicapped studio at OKW. Guess what I LIVED, you will too.

Originally posted by CarolA
The person who needed a tub for medical reasons should have mentioned it on his/her reservation.

As the person who needs a handicapped room should mention it on his/her reservation.

I don't see this as someone being spoiled. The question was asked "What is the difference?" and the room was misrepresented by the CM as only having a difference in the tub ONLY.

Mitymott agreed to that change in a room, but was never made aware of the other differences and therefore unable to make an informed choice while still at the front desk checking in. And why wasn't the handicapped room kept available for someone else who might need it when obviousley they had another studio available that was NOT handicapped accessible

I spent 10 days in a studio at VWL and I wouldn't have been happy in that room either, and I would gladly leave it free for someone who really needs it.

We were assigned a handicapped accessible room at VWL for December 8-15. They told us at check-in that the only difference was a shower instead of a tub. That was no big deal for DH and me because we both prefer showers anyway. HOWEVER, they didn't mention that there was no vanity in the bathroom. We had to store our toothbrushes, blow dryers, shampoos, make-up, etc, etc, etc. in the wetbar cabinets. Oh, by the way, there was no storage below the wetbar sink either.

When we asked to be moved, they said they could put us on a list and whenever a room became available they would call us--and charge us $25 for a room change. I understood the room charge because we would have been in the room overnight because nothing was available for at least that first night. They offered to switch our ressies to BCV because they had some non-handicapped studios available, but I wanted to remain at VWL for that trip and DH said he'd prefer to stay in the room than to repack and move, so we stayed.

I certainly understand why they have handicapped accessible rooms--might find myself needing one someday. So, while I was disappointed, we made it work. The only thing that dampened our trip was the rain!!!

Carol A,

That's just the point here--non handicapped people were given a handicapped-assessible room, while there may have been handicapped people who were forced to take a regular room because no handicapped rooms were available!! I had a similar situation--I injured my back carrying my clubs for MILES thru DTW on the way to Florida, and found, to my embarrassment, that no handicapped-assessible rooms were available. I was in a wheelchair--because I could not lift my leg to walk, yet I could only get a room with a tub. I was horribly embarrassed to have to be lifted in and out of the shower, and on and off the toilet, when a different room would have saved me the embarrassment. I had an awful time (refused to use the bus)--thank goodness it was temporary. After 4 weeks of rest and aspirin (lots of aspirin), I was fine, but I can't help but wonder if permanently handicapped people would have been forgiving if they had been in the same situation:confused:

I never had a handicapped room at a DVC resort, but did at CS once, and while it was a bit of a PITA it was *okay*. I didn't even think about asking to change.
However now that I have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old, a tub is a necessity..as is a toilet that my 3 yr old can use by herself(the handicapped ones are too high for a little one), guess I'll be emailing MS with a request for a non handicapped room.

Wouldn't it help to request at the time of your ressie that you do not want a HC room?

You would think Disney would give you an option at check in and tell you "We have a handicapped accessable room available, with these modifications. Is that alright with you or would you like another room?"

The list of requests seems to be growing longer and longer.

"Hi, I'd like a non-smoking, NOT smoking optional, non-handicapped room with a great view with no trees in the way and no noise from the traffic that's near the elevator, not too far from the pool, busstop or hospitality house (or lodge, or whatever) that's clean and doesn't have the maid eating her lunch watching tv on the bed when I get there.":teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter