Room Change Rant (Long)

Originally posted by wdwendyd
Would you rather not book your trip at all if you couldn't be assured of these things?
As I said today and previously, I'd rather not go than have either a smoking room or HC. Things are not guaranteed so there are no assurances, just requests and the number of rooms in my favor. I'll take the odds as they are now but would sell in a heartbeat if things changed so the odds weren't in my favor.

Does ANYBODY have ANY IDEA how many rooms we are talking about?

How many rooms are handicapped accessable in each resort?:confused:

I'm wondering if this is a molehill that we're turning into a mountain. (of course I understand that it becomes a mountain when you're the one assigned the room and you don't want it)

But I'm curious...anybody know how many?

Many of you get too wrapped up on room type, location, view,floor, bus noise, too much sun, too little sun, etc. No you are not entitled to get everything you ask for because you paid alot of money for your membership. Just be grateful for clean, well designed accomodations at WDW.

Originally posted by lomillerin
Will the manager even care if I complain since I not a member? Will they feel like I am not a Disney guest since I paid the member not Disney to be there?
If I would be unhappy in resorts where I paid cash, I could check out and stay somewhere else, but by renting I could only do that if I am willing to lose the money I paid and pay again to stay somewhere else.
Disney would not lose anything.

They will probably not even know that you are not a member, the reservation is in your name.

I don't think this is a common occurrence. If you put in your reservation that you want non-handicapped and repeat it with a fax 4 days before arrival, I think the chances are slim that you will get a handicapped room. I've had 7 DVC trips and 8 non-DVC trips and never had one. I always ask though to be sure when I'm at the front desk.

Originally posted by Zimbubba
Many of you get too wrapped up on room type, location, view,floor, bus noise, too much sun, too little sun, etc. No you are not entitled to get everything you ask for because you paid alot of money for your membership. Just be grateful for clean, well designed accomodations at WDW.

I agree with most of your point. Location, view, floor, bus noise, close to this, not close to that would not make me upset if I didn't get my 'request'. You get what you get in terms of these things in just about any hotel or resort around the world. For me, being in a smoking unit would bother me. I am very alergic to smoke to the point it gives me headaches if I am around it enough. Getting a smoking room, unless they guaranteed it having NO odor would probably upset me. Getting a HCA room wouldn't make or break my vacation. Those rooms are there for a reason. I may not prefer it, but I wouldn't let it upset me. This is why my first request is always for non-smoking and then i make my building and floor requests from there..

That being said, in 10 years of going to OKW, I have never gotten a smoking room, or a HCA room. So prioritize your preferences and list the most important one first. At OKW there are only 3 buildings that could possibly have HCA rooms above the first floor so an upper floor preference may work too.

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, service animals are the only "pets" allowed to stay in WDW Resorts and hotels. I am going to assume that these individuals may be placed in the handicapped accessible rooms with their animals.

Due to my various allergies I would hesitate on accepting such a room as the allergens could trigger a reaction in me. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

CarolAnn,
You have a good point with the service animals. On the occasions we have had an HC room, I've not noticed any animal signs, like pet hair or odors. I would assume, though, as you have, that service animals are allowed in the rooms. But, wouldn't service animals be allowed in ANY room? A person that is visually or hearing impaired with a service animal may not require an HC room. Only people with mobility problems may require an HC room, and they may also have a service animal. BTW, I wonder if the service animals allowed in the rooms include all possible types of service animals. I HAVE seen service horses (miniature horses) trained as guide animals, in addition to the more traditional service dogs. Though I haven't seen the horses in the parks.

I just remembered this.. On our last visit to OKW, I asked at the front desk if we had a smoking or handicapped room since I had requested first floor and got it that time. We were in a 2 bedroom.. The Cast Member told me that at OKW none of the dedicated 2 bedrooms are HCA rooms. All the HCA rooms (at OKW) are of the lock-off kind so they have more flexibility in assigning them. This may be why I personally have never gotten one. I think in 10 years I have stayed in a lockoff once.. Just more food for thought... ;)

Does ANYBODY have ANY IDEA how many rooms we are talking about?

How many rooms are handicapped accessable in each resort?

I don't know for the other resorts, but I do know for OKW. I emailed MS to ask a while ago when this discussion came up.
OKW has 19 studios and 19 one bedrooms that can be put together to make 19 two bedroom units. There is also one dedicated 2 bedroom (I know this is differnt than what sgtdisney was told, but that's what MS wrote me. I think it's in one of the 60s number buildings). I don't remember offhand, but I think there is 1 GV.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
(I know this is differnt than what sgtdisney was told, but that's what MS wrote me. I think it's in one of the 60s number buildings).

That could very well be true... Since the 60 series buildings are the newest, maybe the CM that talked to me wasn't thinking about them? It does make sense that the majority would be lock-offs so they would have the most flexibility in assigning them..

As the person who needed the tub for meical reasons, let me clarify.
1) I made my reservations 10 months out.
2) My injury occurred about 3 months prior to the reservation.
3) I did not know I needed to request a tub. At that time, I had no idea that any unit would be without a tub. My guide never mentioned it. When we toured before purchasing, the baths were part of the selling point. No description of a handicapped unit was ever made or the fact I might be assigned one. I learned by experience.

Two things play in my favor:
1) When I made my resevatoin, I was told by MS many rooms were available. I was trying to decide between a studio and a 1 bedroom and didn't know how busy the resort would be in September.
2) The resort MS did not tell me that the unit was HC. According to Jackie (Member Safisfaction Manager) that is required as part of their training.

The conditions for my being assigned a HC room were,
1) The resort was at near capacity.
2) My only request was Non-smoking.
3) I arrived at 10 PM after driving all day. Late, I know, which added the mix.

I talked with the manager and CM about what options I had. They were underdstanding but not swayed. I asked if reservations were filled by date reservations were made. The answer was yes. This is when the manager went and check the date on my reservations. He then told me other rooms were available but would charge me for at least part of my stay for the upgrade. I mentioned calling Jackie the next morning to discuss this. I learned a lot about how rooms are assigned. It was like learning the rules to a game. The more you know the better the result. I play fair and I don't make many special requests, Non-smoking and Not HC.

We all learned something from this experience. I don't think anyone is spoiled, maybe uninformed, confused over their assigned room, beleiving that they purchased one type of room accommodations and disappointed when this is not fullfilled. They have a right to express their disappointment and attempt to recify the problem as he or she see it. This is not against Handicapped people or rooms. I think is more like, I paided for 5 lb. bag of flour and when I got it home it was only 4 1/2 lbs. It was missing something I was told it had.

Sandy

By putting together the pieces sgtdisney and others have given, it makes sense that the HC rooms at OKW are primarily lock-offs. Due to the lack of elevators, they would also have to be first-floor. So, if you have a request that is upper floor and/or dedicated 2 bedroom chances of getting a HC room are slim...unless you are in the new buildings with elevators.

As to the HC GV, I recall there being a problem when OKW was new. I think they had to do something to get into compliance since at first all GV were entered from the second floor. I think it's correct that there is only one HC GV.

As to the HC GV, I recall there being a problem when OKW was new. I think they had to do something to get into compliance since at first all GV were entered from the second floor. I think it's correct that there is only one HC GV.

I agree with PamOKW on all her comments.
I know that at the time we bought DVC (back in 1993), we were shown the GV, but told that there were no wheelchair accessible available since all the entrances to them were on the second floor. I think in one of the later phases, they did make a wheelchair accessible GV since I recall someone posted they had stayed in one (and it wasn't in the newest buildings).

Later on, when they were constructing the 60s numbers buildings, we were told there would be a GV in one of those buildings that would be wheelchair accessible as well as one or more wheelchair accessible units above 1st floor. I don't know what the final construction turned out to be.

If I remember correctly, the wheelchair accessible GV that we stayed in at OKW was in either building 47 or 48.

If I remember correctly, it's still only accessible on the ground floor but is a 2 story unit.

The wheelchair accessible unit (in 47 or 48) is indeed on the ground floor and is a 2 story unit.

"We all learned something from this experience. I don't think anyone is spoiled, maybe uninformed, confused over their assigned room, beleiving that they purchased one type of room accommodations and disappointed when this is not fullfilled. They have a right to express their disappointment and attempt to recify the problem as he or she see it. This is not against Handicapped people or rooms. I think is more like, I paided for 5 lb. bag of flour and when I got it home it was only 4 1/2 lbs. It was missing something I was told it had."

I disagree. I believe some people are spoiled when it comes to what room type, view, location, etc. they feel they are entitled to. We did not purchase specific room types. We bought accomodations. Accomodations that should meet a specific quality standard. People have the right to complain about that. No that they got a HC room, bad view, or whatever. The system to resolve that issue is in place. It will cost $25.00 to change and make people satisfied. That is in place because it costs us all to move people around at their whim. To use the above analogy, you bought the 5lbs of flour and that is what people are being given. If you don't like the wrapper, that is unfortunate but they are delivering what you bought.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is being charged the $25 fee. I was under the assumption that the fee would be charged if the maid had to go in and freshen the room. If you didn't touch anything or use the bathroom, there shouldn't have been a problem. I was asked previously if I had touched anything in the room when I called the front desk requesting a room change for some silly reason.

I think the HC rooms should be on reserve for those who need them. I have a handicapped family member, so I can relate. I don't think it's that big of a deal if I have a HC room without being in need of one for medical reasons. But, I do understand those that like a tub. As for the storage space, well I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over that either. I stayed in a HC one bedroom at OKW. The counter was big enough to hold my toothbrush and whatever else I may have had. I, too, have a small child who maneuvered the raised toilet differently.

To me, this isn't that big of a deal. Just the fee is the problem.

Originally posted by A1A1
To me, this isn't that big of a deal. Just the fee is the problem.

I would suggest that people ask at the counter now, before they even walk away if the room is HCA and ask for a clear definition of what is 'different' in that room than in the others. You could avoid the fee that way. I have done this for years, even in other places, but I usually ask to make sure the room in Non-smoking. I think the fee is only charged if you have been in the room as they need to send in Housekeeping after you left to make sure everything is as it needs to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter