• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

ROFR Thread July to Sept 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahintz---$125-$14,678-100-AUL-Feb-100/22, 100/23, 100/24-sent 7/1

This is my first time buying into DVC after looking at it for years. Our son is 2-years-old now, so figured we'll make use of it either in Hawaii or WDW for many years to come. Probably not the last set of points we'll buying if this works out as I hope it does.
I'm in the same boat, mine turns 3 weeks tomorrow! Good luck, but you probably won't need it with AUL.

Try waiting 28 days, finding out yesterday that you passed and that when Disney sent it over, let broker know it can’t close until January because seller never disclosed a January reservation 🤦🏼‍♀️ Now we are starting all over😩 So yesterday woke up day 28, and today woke up…day 2😭

Is your only recourse really just walking away?
This was in one of my contracts. Does this apply to this situation? So $25 per point... or they didnt even list those points utilized in the reservation?

26. DISNEY VACATION CLUB POINTS: Should the Seller use any of the points listed in this contract prior to transfer
the Seller will pay the Buyer a rental fee of $25.00 per point that is used.

edit, guess this covers that.
b. SELLER DEFAULT: If Seller shall fail to perform its obligations under this Contract to make full settlement in
accordance with the terms hereof, Buyer may, as its sole and exclusive remedy, either (a) require Escrow Agent to
return the Deposit to Buyer or (b) pursue the equitable remedy of specific performance. Notwithstanding the
foregoing, Seller shall also be liable for any escrow fees and closing costs to the Escrow Agent, and sales
commissions owed to the Broker incurred as a result of notification of Seller's default.

Last edited:
Try waiting 28 days, finding out yesterday that you passed and that when Disney sent it over, let broker know it can’t close until January because seller never disclosed a January reservation 🤦🏼‍♀️ Now we are starting all over😩 So yesterday woke up day 28, and today woke up…day 2😭
Ugh I saw that… such a freaking bummer and I feel for you!! Holding my breath we won’t be in a similar situation. Fingers crossed for a quick and smooth transaction this time around!!

AbsolutelyThanks @pangyal as always! How was Iceland??

phenomenal, thank you for asking :)!
Calling Canada an Iceland is not very nice, especially on Canada Day. Happy Canada Day to all my fellow cdn disney freaks. Ps, reminder, you're welcome rest of the world, Walts parents were Canadian so you only have Chapek in charge of a company you love because of two CDNs who produced Walt and Roy.

Last edited:
For those of you buying Aulani for “sleep around points”, what’s your biggest concerns about the future, if any? I guess I think about the fact that the contract is longer so other resorts may become off limits due to resale restrictions…and it may severely decrease in value that last decade or so. Or the possibility that dues there could increase at a higher rate because of the location? I guess I’m just wondering what I’m missing before I change tactics. I realize there are so many unknowns about the future. But I’m just not liking the idea of trying to pass ROFR for Saratoga again at this time.

For those of you buying Aulani for “sleep around points”, what’s your biggest concerns about the future, if any? I guess I think about the fact that the contract is longer so other resorts may become off limits due to resale restrictions…and it may severely decrease in value that last decade or so. Or the possibility that dues there could increase at a higher rate because of the location? I guess I’m just wondering what I’m missing before I change tactics. I realize there are so many unknowns about the future. But I’m just not liking the idea of trying to pass ROFR for Saratoga again at this time.

I am starting to think it is the best bet. If we are okay with not going at peak times & staying at Saratoga/AK or split stays

Income property. There are rooms I can book to rent or use it myself. It’s not like I have 100s of Aulani points to use.

Last edited:
Can’t they cancel the reservation? I have had this happen but seller canceled the reservation and deposit into RCI/II exchange. I still waited 8 weeks though.

Biggest concern is probably the dues. Hawaii is a very progressive state with very high cost of doing business, including high taxes and labor laws. Coupled that with it being next to the ocean, it will probably rival Vero Beach in dues because of the insurance costs. Having said that, try to find a subsidized dues contract. It’s the lowest dues rate in all of DVC at $6.50 pp.

It also means you’ll never have the 11 month advantage at WDW, so any thought of staying in a popular resort at a busy time of year, for the decades you own the contract, goes out the window.

It also means you’ll never have the 11 month advantage at WDW, so any thought of staying in a popular resort at a busy time of year, for the decades you own the contract, goes out the window.
If you willing to spend time on stalking and waitlisting it may work for some. I was able to pieces together an night stay at AKV value studio over Labor Day weekend at 7 months. Aulani is still a popular destination by itself.

If you willing to spend time on stalking and waitlisting it may work for some. I was able to pieces together an night stay at AKV value studio over Labor Day weekend at 7 months. Aulani is still a popular destination by itself.
I actually love Aulani and have points there, along with CCV and VGF at WDW. I can understand stalking and waitlisting and compromising and going through a huge hassle to get WDW accommodations at 7 months for a trip or two, but for (potentially) 40 years? Add in the dues, and Aulani is just not a good resort for SAP.

I actually love Aulani and have points there, along with CCV and VGF at WDW. I can understand stalking and waitlisting and compromising and going through a huge hassle to get WDW accommodations at 7 months for a trip or two, but for (potentially) 40 years? Add in the dues, and Aulani is just not a good resort for SAP.
If I can’t get WDW with my Aulani points, I’ll either go to Aulani myself or rent out the points. At least mine is subsidized. I do enjoy playing the stalking game lol.

I am not one that gets onboard the SAP Aulani train. To gamble on the 7 month window at WDW may be a game of diminishing returns over years. DVC has changed rules and we cannot predict the state of play 10-20 years from now. If you want to stay at WDW, I'd continue slogging it out at SSR resale or wait until we're further into the recession before trying again. Be patient. At least you'd get a room at WDW. DVC is likely to continue to restrict future resorts. As we approach the decade towards 2042, the ability to use points across the system narrows tremendously.

There's an argument for Aulani: if you want hotel or standard view rooms. I'd personally only ever buy Aulani for Aulani.

I am not buying that resort but I think 7 month bookings are getting harder and harder and if more resorts come online with restrictions you may have a tough time.

If things go the way many think..in 19 years you lose 3 big resorts…and if trading is rough, then value will go down.

Can’t they cancel the reservation? I have had this happen but seller canceled the reservation and deposit into RCI/II exchange. I still waited 8 weeks though.

They could have but they obviously didn’t want to do that.

The biggest risk of owning Aulani is getting locked out of the WDW, I would avoid solely owning at Aulani without having another WDW home resort. You can piece things together, but the peak times will be tough to put something together without a lot of effort stalking the website.

We do think Aulani is the best value right now, especially subsidized contracts, for what we like to call "luxury" points. Recently, we have been accumulating Aulani points with 2 aims:
1. For exclusive use at Aulani during the summer months when 7 month booking may be limited
2. As supplemental points for the bougie places like CC cabins, poly bungalows or grand villas.

If you never intend to go to Aulani, SSR at a higher pt/dollar price point has less potential downside than Aulani in terms holding or increasing in value.

That’s what I said. But broker said no they don’t want to. They had borrowed them from next year to use too. I’m wondering if they weren’t trying to sell before the market tanks (speculation on recession and poly tower), and knew we couldn’t close until January. Either way we already bought an almost exact contract and paid $2 less per point. It’s just that dumb 30 day ROFR wait that’s annoying

That’s what I said. But broker said no they don’t want to. They had borrowed them from next year to use too. I’m wondering if they weren’t trying to sell before the market tanks (speculation on recession and poly tower), and knew we couldn’t close until January. Either way we already bought an almost exact contract and paid $2 less per point. It’s just that dumb 30 day ROFR wait that’s annoying

Maybe brokers should add a penalty that only kicks in if it’s found out after and wasn’t disclosed.

If the buyer agrees to accept the delay after the fact that is given to them off purchase prices.

Maybe if a seller knows they will be charged extra for not being honest, then more will ensure they disclose correctly and make sure to review things like waitlists to ensure nothing is set up to potentially alter things.

Nothing charged upfront but at time of closing if there was no disclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter