ROFR Thread Jan to March 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell that to Disney!!! Their Direct prices are (to me) unfathomable right now… I’m thinking they will have to increase incentives later in the year, but if they’re happy with the sales numbers, maybe no need… It’ll depend on how strong cash room demand is I suppose…
My brother literally moved up from being a DVCA to a DVC Guide too this month, I definitely feel for him. We personally could not justify buying 200-250 points direct vs buying resale (if we pass ROFR). Yes I know the overall cost difference isn’t absolutely huge but that initial purchase price, if wanting to pay cash not finance, is a chunk of serious cash!

My brother literally moved up from being a DVCA to a DVC Guide too this month, I definitely feel for him. We personally could not justify buying 200-250 points direct vs buying resale (if we pass ROFR). Yes I know the overall cost difference isn’t absolutely huge but that initial purchase price, if wanting to pay cash not finance, is a chunk of serious cash!
In the old days there was a family discount for DVC Employees to offer to brothers, sisters, parents, etc. Does Disney do that anymore?

In the old days there was a family discount for DVC Employees to offer to brothers, sisters, parents, etc. Does Disney do that anymore?
I imagine if they do, it's not much. My brother works for Disney (not DVC). When he first started working there, he said his discount for DVC was significant, but then it was changed and was maybe 10%? I've held off for so long on DVC because I can always use his friends/family CM discount for resorts, but since covid they changed it so that you couldn't book those rooms until 4 months out and the discounts were not always as high. We used to book almost a year out and the discount was always 40% and could be used for club level too. I was getting tired of waiting to book and not being able to get the full discount with so many exclusions for room types, so we finally decided it was time for DVC. Now I can book whenever I want without depending on my brother and essentially get the same discount or better!

They sure do, but it is absolutely no where near what it used to be. My brother originally though it was still 10%, but it ended up only being $1000 off of a $40k-$50k purchase AND he would of had to be on the deed. So, with having him as a cast member anyway and getting quite often more benefits than being a direct member would give, none of it made sense for us.

I imagine if they do, it's not much. My brother works for Disney (not DVC). When he first started working there, he said his discount for DVC was significant, but then it was changed and was maybe 10%? I've held off for so long on DVC because I can always use his friends/family CM discount for resorts, but since covid they changed it so that you couldn't book those rooms until 4 months out and the discounts were not always as high. We used to book almost a year out and the discount was always 40% and could be used for club level too. I was getting tired of waiting to book and not being able to get the full discount with so many exclusions for room types, so we finally decided it was time for DVC. Now I can book whenever I want without depending on my brother and essentially get the same discount or better!
This has basically been the case the past two years for us, he’s managed to get some fantastic deals but both have been 3 weeks out and 3 months out. We’re from the UK and our little one starts school from September, gives us a much smaller travel window and we need to be on it with reward flights 11 months out. So, now made sense for us! We just take him to dinner a few nights each trip as a thank you for helping us out!

Just had an email from my agent, the first SSR we went to ROFR on had some pending reservations that have now been cancelled, giving us some extra points. We have to sign an ‘addendum’. Can anyone clarify what this may mean in a timeline perspective, as in, does the ROFR process need to start again etc? Thanks guys!

Right, but that was one isolated indicent, and is not the performance of the club overall, and is why I said I find it short sighted to hope for a crash so they can get points on the cheap. The prices may fall further but they will come back up.

Except, the product is changing. If DVD continues its resale restrictions, then the new products may not hold like they have in the past.

And, in 2042, you have five resorts ending…no one knows how or if they comeback.

There is a difference between going to zero and having It sell for less than one has paid.

I still think its dangerous for anyone to buy DVC today and assume they will get their money back. If one assumes the opposite, and it still makes sense, then it’s a good thing.

As longs WDW exists, DVC will have some value, and yes, it’s done really well, but people need to recognize all the factors that can play a role. Look at what has happened to resale at SSR since DVD stopped ROFR. Buyers are paying less and sellers are having to accept less. Just too many variables to influence things.

Last edited:

Except, the product is changing. If DVD continues its resale restrictions, then the new products may not hold like they have in the past.

And, in 2042, you have five resorts ending…no one knows how or if they comeback.

There is a difference between going to zero and having It sell for less than one has paid.

I still think its dangerous for anyone to buy DVC today and assume they will get their money back. If one assumes the opposite, and it still makes sense, then it’s a good thing.

As longs WDW exists, DVC will have some value, and yes, it’s done really well, but people need to recognize all the factors that can play a role. Look at what has happened to resale at SSR since DVD stopped ROFR. Buyers are paying less and sellers are having to accept less. Must too many variables to influence things.
It crossed my mind that the price drop we see may be partly due to the current and potential resale restrictions.

We are in the beginning of a recession where a lot of people are starting to get laid off and interest rates are also kind of high… I think those are the main factors at play.

But it’s also how high the prices are now compared to a few years ago… DVC Resale Market has this post:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-resale-price-changes-from-2016-2019/

Look at these prices!

If you could buy AK at $86 a point today, I’d leap at it!
Boardwalk in 2016 was $99, what an amazing deal!

Particularly for the older resorts, the market potentially has a long way to go down and still have owners have gotten an “amazing deal”…. If someone bought a 100 point contract for Boardwalk in 2016 for $100, then sold for $110, they’d have made $1,000 AND had potentially 8 years of “free” vacations. Yes, I know it is more complicated than that with inflation, etc. but still, that’s a great deal…AND… find me a BW contract selling for $110 these days….

My point is, the market can go down a long way from here and have buyers AND sellers feeling good about their purchases.

I posted asking for how much to charge best friends to rent our points. We only have 85 (we wanted member status to possibly buy in at Poly 2). It was a double contract so we have 170 this year, can pull from 85 from the following year.
We're hoping to go to Aulani next winter break and our friends want to go to Aulani a couple nights this summer (which is what we'd rent them points for). I'd really like to be able to do it for them, and we're talking through how much Aulani will cost and say we can borrow and then we could go to Disney again in like 2025. DH: "2025? We need more points then."

But it’s also how high the prices are now compared to a few years ago… DVC Resale Market has this post:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-resale-price-changes-from-2016-2019/

Look at these prices!

If you could buy AK at $86 a point today, I’d leap at it!
Boardwalk in 2016 was $99, what an amazing deal!

Particularly for the older resorts, the market potentially has a long way to go down and still have owners have gotten an “amazing deal”…. If someone bought a 100 point contract for Boardwalk in 2016 for $100, then sold for $110, they’d have made $1,000 AND had potentially 8 years of “free” vacations. Yes, I know it is more complicated than that with inflation, etc. but still, that’s a great deal…AND… find me a BW contract selling for $110 these days….

My point is, the market can go down a long way from here and have buyers AND sellers feeling good about their purchases.
You can find BW contracts for $110 easily today. That’s the asking price on some BW listings.

Find me a VGC tho for $141! Now that would be awesome!

I posted asking for how much to charge best friends to rent our points. We only have 85 (we wanted member status to possibly buy in at Poly 2). It was a double contract so we have 170 this year, can pull from 85 from the following year.
We're hoping to go to Aulani next winter break and our friends want to go to Aulani a couple nights this summer (which is what we'd rent them points for). I'd really like to be able to do it for them, and we're talking through how much Aulani will cost and say we can borrow and then we could go to Disney again in like 2025. DH: "2025? We need more points then."
What people will say, will vary, some people say nothing, some people say what your dues are, some people say dues and original cost, some full price. For me I charge close to what I would get if I rented to strangers. I make it cheaper than what they would pay the rental agencies, $3-$4 a point cheaper.

As longs WDW exists, DVC will have some value, and yes, it’s done really well, but people need to recognize all the factors that can play a role. Look at what has happened to resale at SSR since DVD stopped ROFR. Buyers are paying less and sellers are having to accept less. Just too many variables to influence things.
DVC members 10 years ago probably never imagined DVC looking like what it is today. I can’t imagine what it will look like 10,20,30 years from now as DVD adjusts to market pressures. More restrictions, tiered membership status, whatever it takes to keep selling direct points to new and existing members. What that means to resale points is beyond me. As long as I can continue to use my resale points at my home resorts, I’m happy. Well, until those resorts go to the dumps that is, hopefully which never happens.

I’m looking at buying SSR and some of the contracts are $115 (with no points this year) and $120+ with contract points this year. Should I be offering much under this looking at the prices going through?
Also I know no one knows but what do people think will happen to prices as contracts get towards the end of the life? I know SSR has 31 years left but others have under 20?

I’m looking at buying SSR and some of the contracts are $115 (with no points this year) and $120+ with contract points this year. Should I be offering much under this looking at the prices going through?
Also I know no one knows but what do people think will happen to prices as contracts get towards the end of the life? I know SSR has 31 years left but others have under 20?
1. Yes, try going for a price you feel good with, there are obviously a lot of SSR contracts, it only takes 1 seller to agree to your low offer to save hundreds to thousands of dollars. If a seller doesn’t counter where you want to, take your time and be patient. This is advice I myself am having a hard time following.

2. Like you said nobody really knows, from a financial standpoint I imagine the contract value itself will begin to drop hard within the last 10 years but who knows. The thing is if you plan to use the points anyways, then it doesn’t really matter and it’ll retain value from a vacation standpoint.

Good luck!

Yes, for the simple fact that there are 568 SSR contracts out on the market right now. If a seller rejects your offer or counter too high, move on to the next one. Happy hunting!

Why are there so many SSR contracts? Just because it’s such a large resort?
I love BCV but aside from the fact it’s got a shorter life SSR seems better value plus it seems to make sense for us for the times we maybe don’t want to do the parks. Coming from the UK we would probably do every other year and sometimes only universal plus maybe in 10 years we may not do parks at all if the kids aren’t with us. I think SSR is best option if you aren’t doing park visits, because it’s walkable to DS and all the restaurant options at hotel boulevard and also close to I4. It does seem a concern there are that many resale for SSR so it maybe difficult to sell in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter