ROFR Thread Jan to March 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering VDH but convinced my husband to let me buy resale because it is so much less. Than I can consider adding VDH without having to buy 150 points direct.
I’d only want direct because then I can use it with my Riviera contract on years I don’t use it at Disneyland. The problem I’m having is I like the theming and location more at VGC. I can see myself buying direct VDH, being unhappy I don’t own at VGC, and then saying screw it and buying VGC anyways. I’d rather have 100 points at AKL resale because it gives me more flexibility at 7 months and also give me priority with a (tiny) chance of getting value rooms. If I absolutely had to own at DL I probably would buy it, but given that I have family in SoCal it’s not as big of a priority for me personally.

I’d only want direct because then I can use it with my Riviera contract on years I don’t use it at Disneyland. The problem I’m having is I like the theming and location more at VGC. I can see myself buying direct VDH, being unhappy I don’t own at VGC, and then saying screw it and buying VGC anyways. I’d rather have 100 points at AKL resale because it gives me more flexibility at 7 months and also give me priority with a (tiny) chance of getting value rooms. If I absolutely had to own at DL I probably would buy it, but given that I have family in SoCal it’s not as big of a priority for me personally.
I originally got AKV because it’s my favorite Orlando resort. I’m perfectly fine not staying anywhere else. I would like to try out copper Creek and the Polynesian but if it doesn’t happen at 7 months I’m perfectly happy at AKV. I also like that if I score a value room that I get a longer trip (which I did for this coming holloween)… I could care less about Riviera… so I did buy resell.

I did start to have regrets when I heard about the Disneyland Tower. I haven’t been to Disneyland in a while, but knew that I eventually wanted to return… so I was giving serious thought to buying at that new tower and becoming a direct member.. however, I finally returned to Disneyland a few weeks ago. I went to have a look at the grand Californian and loved it almost as much as animal kingdom lodge. I also remembered how much Disneyland was my favorite park… I decided that I was never going to like the Disneyland Tower as much as the grand Californian… so I went with a resale contract for that resort. I do have 25 direct points for AKV… so I might be able to sample the Disneyland tower. I still don’t care about Riviera though.

I originally got AKV because it’s my favorite Orlando resort. I’m perfectly fine not staying anywhere else. I would like to try out copper Creek and the Polynesian but if it doesn’t happen at 7 months I’m perfectly happy at AKV. I also like that if I score a value room that I get a longer trip (which I did for this coming holloween)… I could care less about Riviera… so I did buy resell.

I did start to have regrets when I heard about the Disneyland Tower. I haven’t been to Disneyland in a while, but knew that I eventually wanted to return… so I was giving serious thought to buying at that new tower and becoming a direct member.. however, I finally returned to Disneyland a few weeks ago. I went to have a look at the grand Californian and loved it almost as much as animal kingdom lodge. I also remembered how much Disneyland was my favorite park… I decided that I was never going to like the Disneyland Tower as much as the grand Californian… so I went with a resale contract for that resort. I do have 25 direct points for AKV… so I might be able to sample the Disneyland tower. I still don’t care about Riviera though.
I think this is part of what makes DVC great. I guarantee some people will love VDH more than VGC. Just like you have people like me who love RIV and then others such as yourself who don’t. I actually want some RIV resale to free up some of my direct points and use those points to help me start booking 2BR SV :p

I think this is part of what makes DVC great. I guarantee some people will love VDH more than VGC. Just like you have people like me who love RIV and then others such as yourself who don’t. I actually want some RIV resale to free up some of my direct points and use those points to help me start booking 2BR SV :p
That’s what I love about it as well.. something for everyone. I don’t dislike Riviera by the way. It’s very nice for what it is… it’s just not my main thing… so it doesn’t bother me at all not being able to stay there… VDH (is that the official abbreviation) i’m sure I actually will like that one… just not as much as VGC… I totally plan on trying it out for a night. That was one reason I got 25 direct… an occasional night there every once in a while would be cool.

I love VGC and decided to buy resale there instead of waiting for VDH, but maybe I’ll copy you and buy 25 direct points so I can sample VDH, Riviera, and any other new resorts in the future, love that idea!

I love VGC and decided to buy resale there instead of waiting for VDH, but maybe I’ll copy you and buy 25 direct points so I can sample VDH, Riviera, and any other new resorts in the future, love that idea!
I can say one thing about buying direct… it’s a lot easier. I had my points in like 15 minutes. It does cost more though. :/

Wyndham Vacation Club has a membership tier system based on how many direct points you have. Higher the tier, higher the perks and benefits. If DVC were to do something similar, it would probably prompt more people to buy direct?
If Aps sold again and you only need 100 pts to get it at a discount, I think they would sell like crazy.

If Aps sold again and you only need 100 pts to get it at a discount, I think they would sell like crazy.
Disney doesn’t haveto offer AP discounts. They haven’t sold new APs for over a year. If people can buy it for full price, it would sell like crazy. But yeah. If they offered new AP sales to dvc members, they’d probably sell more points. But that’s an issue between Disney parks and the DVC department.

This is me :) All the AKV love!!! <3

Anytime friends ask me about DVC… the second question is always “does it include park tickets?”. I do think if APs come back we will see more buyers enter the market (both direct and resale) and prices will start to rise slightly again.

I'm sorry but this is just not true.

Always consider the phrase "Past performance is no indication of future performance".

Anyone who bought last year and is now selling will be selling at a loss. It wasn't a good (or sensible) investment for them. Please do not encourage folk to treat DVC as an investment.
If you are looking at it overall it has been an excellent investment. You can't take snippits of a particular period ( just like with the stock market). The first contract I sold I paid $60 pp for and sold for $135pp. If you bought direct or durning the covid spike and need to sell now, then you will be a a loss, but prior to that, you would be making money selling. Average sales prices over the last 20 years are public record and prove this. Meanwhile, the prices to pay cash at the resorts are stll increasing, so even if you did pay a premium in the past 2 years, you are still paying less than if you were a member. Your comment also solidifies my point about members shouldn't be hoping for a crash.

@CVG is spot on here. The Great Recession saw a number of people who had to bring money to an underwater closing. Renting was not the way out, because those were happening at fire sale prices as well.

Is something like the Great Recession in our future? I have no idea, but I am not making purchasing decisions based on the answer being no.
Right, but that was one isolated indicent, and is not the performance of the club overall, and is why I said I find it short sighted to hope for a crash so they can get points on the cheap. The prices may fall further but they will come back up.

If you are looking at it overall it has been an excellent investment. You can't take snippits of a particular period ( just like with the stock market). The first contract I sold I paid $60 pp for and sold for $135pp. If you bought direct or durning the covid spike and need to sell now, then you will be a a loss, but prior to that, you would be making money selling. Average sales prices over the last 20 years are public record and prove this. Meanwhile, the prices to pay cash at the resorts are stll increasing, so even if you did pay a premium in the past 2 years, you are still paying less than if you were a member. Your comment also solidifies my point about members shouldn't be hoping for a crash.
I’m not convinced that is going to be the case with the future. I think the prices might have peaked or plateaued for a while. Disney’s pricing is so high that many families are being priced out of being able to go to WDW…. This issue is even worse when you consider the subset-of-a-subset who both A. Have the means to go to Disney most years, and B. Have the desire to go to Disney most years. DVC is a huge commitement.

For me, DVC made a huge amount of sense as soon as I learned about it! We DO go to Disney, several times a year. It is a way to “prepay” our vacations - and maybe get to stay in nicer places to do it than we’d otherwise. HOWEVER, I really don’t view it as an “investment”, “asset” or anything like that. I understand that the average sales prices have helped prop it up, and the fact Disney continues to raise their prices, and ROFR will ensure that DVC never totally crashes like a Westgate timeshare. However, if I could sell my DVC points at a 10-30% loss (or maybe gain), I’d be happy about it - since I got some value out of the points in the first place.

I’m not convinced that is going to be the case with the future. I think the prices might have peaked or plateaued for a while. Disney’s pricing is so high that many families are being priced out of being able to go to WDW…. This issue is even worse when you consider the subset-of-a-subset who both A. Have the means to go to Disney most years, and B. Have the desire to go to Disney most years. DVC is a huge commitement.

For me, DVC made a huge amount of sense as soon as I learned about it! We DO go to Disney, several times a year. It is a way to “prepay” our vacations - and maybe get to stay in nicer places to do it than we’d otherwise. HOWEVER, I really don’t view it as an “investment”, “asset” or anything like that. I understand that the average sales prices have helped prop it up, and the fact Disney continues to raise their prices, and ROFR will ensure that DVC never totally crashes like a Westgate timeshare. However, if I could sell my DVC points at a 10-30% loss (or maybe gain), I’d be happy about it - since I got some value out of the points in the first place.
I agree about the peak and pleateau ( esp on 2042 resorts). I am not sure how much further down prices will go, and I do agree, it will be a bit before we go back to 2021-2022 price. We were in need of a correction- prices couldn't keep climing at the rate they were.

I agree about the peak and pleateau ( esp on 2042 resorts). I am not sure how much further down prices will go, and I do agree, it will be a bit before we go back to 2021-2022 price. We were in need of a correction- prices couldn't keep climing at the rate they were.
Tell that to Disney!!! Their Direct prices are (to me) unfathomable right now… I’m thinking they will have to increase incentives later in the year, but if they’re happy with the sales numbers, maybe no need… It’ll depend on how strong cash room demand is I suppose…

I think that the minimum direct contract has increased to 50 points now. At least when I bought at RIV, I bought a guaranteed week contract and some additional points on another contract. I was trying to hit a specific total # of points for an incentive level, but that would have made one of the contracts 48 points, and my DVC guide was worried about that getting through sales review. I increased it by 2 points to hit an even 50 and everything was good.

Looking at resale listings, I do see 25 point contracts at older resorts every once in a while. I don't know when they increased the minimum to 50.

I think that the minimum direct contract has increased to 50 points now. At least when I bought at RIV, I bought a guaranteed week contract and some additional points on another contract. I was trying to hit a specific total # of points for an incentive level, but that would have made one of the contracts 48 points, and my DVC guide was worried about that getting through sales review. I increased it by 2 points to hit an even 50 and everything was good.

Looking at resale listings, I do see 25 point contracts at older resorts every once in a while. I don't know when they increased the minimum to 50.
My understanding is that it depends on the resort that you are buying into specifically.

This website link has a chart: https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Basically, most are 25 points direct minimum, but some are 50:
Riviera
Copper Creek

It is interesting to me that with Aulani and VGF they are not required to have the 50 point minimum.

Minimum add on for RIV is 50. Most of the other resorts are 25 for cash 50 if financed with Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!