ROFR Thread Jan to March 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya, but since it's inception it has been a good investment and held it's value, so you're not really playing with fire. And if you ever do need to sell for an unforseen reason, you will be glad that it didn't tank.
I'm sorry but this is just not true.

Always consider the phrase "Past performance is no indication of future performance".

Anyone who bought last year and is now selling will be selling at a loss. It wasn't a good (or sensible) investment for them. Please do not encourage folk to treat DVC as an investment.

There hasn’t been many AKV posts here lately….
?

I'm in ROFR for 2 of them :)
I considered whether to try for AKV but my problem was the prices haven't dropped as much as SSR or OKWE and are close to what I got BLT for. Plus of course the normal issues, tough to get Value or Concierge rooms, so what is the point of owning there when all of the rest of the rooms are pretty easy to get owning elsewhere.

For the most part yes. Seems like if your dream is to stay in Jambo vs Kidani then having some points there is also important. We think we'll like both depending on the trip but for our X-mas stay in a few years we want Jambo and will use our 11 month booking try and ninja a GV for the family :)

@CVG is spot on here. The Great Recession saw a number of people who had to bring money to an underwater closing. Renting was not the way out, because those were happening at fire sale prices as well.

Is something like the Great Recession in our future? I have no idea, but I am not making purchasing decisions based on the answer being no.

?

I'm in ROFR for 2 of them :)

For the most part yes. Seems like if your dream is to stay in Jambo vs Kidani then having some points there is also important. We think we'll like both depending on the trip but for our X-mas stay in a few years we want Jambo and will use our 11 month booking try and ninja a GV for the family :)
yes I didn't think of GV's. Home resort priority probably is needed for those or maybe Christmas time. Its not that I think owning AKV is a bad idea, its just for me, I didn't see the point of paying a premium compared to cheap resorts when I have been able to get rooms at AKV anytime I have wanted at the 7 month mark(except values and concierge). IE the cost was too great compared to the likelihood that I would need the home resort advantage

@CVG is spot on here. The Great Recession saw a number of people who had to bring money to an underwater closing. Renting was not the way out, because those were happening at fire sale prices as well.

Is something like the Great Recession in our future? I have no idea, but I am not making purchasing decisions based on the answer being no.

I use extreme caution when telling friends and family about this journey into DVC and I list all of the cons first and never say it's an investment. Great wisdom from @CVG

At most I say that the possibility that you will be able to sell your DVC interest for something of some value and not giving it away for pennies is higher than most timeshares. I also note the fact that it's treated like real estate so most transactions have fees and commissions so it's not very easy to transact.

I'm taking a bet in the other direction (24+ months out). I agree we will have some economic issues and the market will be soft but the money printer may go to 11 again (rates go back down near to zero) and inflation may be here to stay. So I'm taking a gamble that prices will go up in the next 3 to 4 years. Still wont consider that an investment as you still have those dues to pay and they could start to rocket up 10 to 11 percent a year and then you might want that money to buy eggs at 40 dollars a dozen vs dues on your DVC points...

Always consider the phrase "Past performance is no indication of future performance".

Anyone who bought last year and is now selling will be selling at a loss. It wasn't a good (or sensible) investment for them. Please do not encourage folk to treat DVC as an investment.
It should not be viewed as an investment, however, there are plenty of people that sold at a profit. Some of course took a loss. This is one of the reasons we bought in. We can offload in the future, maybe not at a profit, but the loss should not be substantial.

What separates DVC from other timeshares is that it does hold some if not all of its value as @NVDISFamily said. So you can at least recoup a lot of your money if you choose to sell.

I've heard horror stories about other timeshares where folks could not even give them away after buying in for $20k+. They basically had to default on the annual dues, but that comes with consequences.

think we're heading into "off-topic" territory. only 2 ROFR submissions in the past 3 pages. C'mon people, submit more great deals so I can live vicariously through you! 🤣
Keep ROFR weird!!!

This was discussed in previous quarters and grandmaster and empresses or the ROFR @pangyal said she liked the fun discourse of ROFR economics and other adjacent topics. With that said it can be a bit of a digging exercise to get through this thread if you are away from it for a few days.

For a somewhat on topic question. What is the floor for BRV points team? Do we think it could hit 80? Go even lower? Asking for a friend…

I offered $115 on a 127pt AKL with double points that was priced at $135. It was accepted so just offer what you think is fair.
That's a great price 😯. Originally was planning to buy VDH direct but I think the allure of more points for less is swaying me to consider AKL right now with the great deals people like you are getting on it. Also the fact that I have family I can stay with in CA 15 mins from the park and I don't think I'll be happy with anything but VGC at DLand is just making me want AKL more.

Does First American Title Company seriously take 14-21 business days after passing ROFR to get closing documents out? That’s what my broker has sent me in an email. That seems like a really long time. Last time it seems it was Mason and I got closing documents like the day of or maybe the next day.
We heard from rofr 1/24. First American emailed us docs to sign on yesterday 1/26. I wired money late 1/26. They confirmed this morning 1/27 that they got the wire. They said there will be nothing else for us to do. That they are just waiting to get everything back from seller, will confirm points on contract, then close.

Keep ROFR weird!!!

This was discussed in previous quarters and grandmaster and empresses or the ROFR @pangyal said she liked the fun discourse of ROFR economics and other adjacent topics. With that said it can be a bit of a digging exercise to get through this thread if you are away from it for a few days.

For a somewhat on topic question. What is the floor for BRV points team? Do we think it could hit 80? Go even lower? Asking for a friend…
Lol. BRV was #1 on the consideration list for my family a mere 2-3 weeks ago. With BWV and AKV values tanking though we might go in that direction.

BRV has been running close in price to SSR and OKW but BRV seems to be the quietest resort on the resale front. I would think there should be a gap maintained between BRV and AKV particularly- but maybe the new reno and the overall smaller size of the resort is keeping it from falling as quickly as other resorts.

We heard from rofr 1/24. First American emailed us docs to sign on yesterday 1/26. I wired money late 1/26. They confirmed this morning 1/27 that they got the wire. They said there will be nothing else for us to do. That they are just waiting to get everything back from seller, will confirm points on contract, then close.
You must have been really lucky because we passed ROFR 1/19 and am still waiting to hear anything from them.

Lol. BRV was #1 on the consideration list for my family a mere 2-3 weeks ago. With BWV and AKV values tanking though we might go in that direction.

BRV has been running close in price to SSR and OKW but BRV seems to be the quietest resort on the resale front. I would think there should be a gap maintained between BRV and AKV particularly- but maybe the new reno and the overall smaller size of the resort is keeping it from falling as quickly as other resorts.
BRV or VWL to old timers has a lot of devoted fans. It has all the amenities of CCV with larger rooms and now undergoing a refurbishment. As you stated the smaller size may help keep prices up but I am just going to post a BRV resale I am buying for $92.

BRV or VWL to old timers has a lot of devoted fans. It has all the amenities of CCV with larger rooms and now undergoing a refurbishment. As you stated the smaller size may help keep prices up but I am just going to post a BRV resale I am buying for $92.
Nice! We will see what the numbers look like when we are ready to bid on a bigger contract! Our stay at the cash side of WL is what's making us look into DVC I'm the first place- I am a little intimidated by CCV availability and my mom hates the galley kitchen. BRV is just as beautiful.

I feel like my OKW is ROFR bait...but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. And it's a great, usable starter contract for my family. With the low point cost on studios it could still get us in to WDW four nights a year- which is fantastic.

Last edited:
Great price! I love BRV. I tried an offer last week of $98 on a $118 list and they countered back at $114. We moved on to an AKV contract. I think the devoted fans are hanging on to hopes of higher prices. If I see more reasonable list prices, maybe I’ll try again but there are other/better options out there for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter