ROFR Thread April to June 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trips to Disneyland Resort in 2021 and 2022 made “DVC math” easy for me. On one trip we were at the Marriott across the street and another just down the road (10 min drive). The walking at the end of the day with tired kiddos on one trip and the extreme variance in parking and trams into the parks (30 min one day to well over 90 the next) made me think that I might have to reconsider the rack rates at grand cal or Disneyland hotel.

To add that we really like staying in suites to have a bit more room if we can, made the DVC math really work for us. Just have to run the numbers out to 15 to 20 years. Add on the ability to share the magic with family and good friends and I’m sold.

Why are you even asking us idiots? All it’s doing is getting us all riled up over the perceived value of VGC, which for me is no brainer but you’re gonna give the Captain an ulcer for crying out loud! Just buy VGC and be done with it already. You already know that nothing beats VGC period. End this suffering now!!! 🤣
This made me laugh. I am a big fan of the Captain's DVC math, but even I would make an exception for direct VGC. Does that make sense? Of course it doesn't! Not every decision in your life needs to be financial - only 99% of them need to be 🤣

The point is that many people do mathematical gymnastics to try and justify it. And you can make the math work to justify it or not justify it. At the end of the day it is about what you want and can “afford”. I purchased direct points because I wanted the direct perks. Even though they are small and maybe the “math” doesn’t work for them but it brings me joy and doesn’t effect me being able to feed my family. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. Could I have continued to rent points? Yeah maybe. Would the math tell me to do something else with my money? Probably. Do I care? Nope. It was the right choice for me and my family and I am over the moon about it. (Now I am adding resale contracts and probably more direct VGF).

I envy your ability to ignore bad deals in pursuit of happiness. I mean that sincerely! Knowing full well I overpaid for something would eat at me for weeks. Every time I go I would be reminded and re-live the stress. That's not the same as making a mistake and losing money on a deal, to me that's a cost of doing business, but knowingly overpaying is something that doesn't make me happy at all!

The point is that many people do mathematical gymnastics to try and justify it. And you can make the math work to justify it or not justify it. At the end of the day it is about what you want and can “afford”. I purchased direct points because I wanted the direct perks. Even though they are small and maybe the “math” doesn’t work for them but it brings me joy and doesn’t effect me being able to feed my family. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. Could I have continued to rent points? Yeah maybe. Would the math tell me to do something else with my money? Probably. Do I care? Nope. It was the right choice for me and my family and I am over the moon about it. (Now I am adding resale contracts and probably more direct VGF).
You mean buying an index fund wouldn’t make you happier?………said NO ONE EVER!

I envy your ability to ignore bad deals in pursuit of happiness. I mean that sincerely! Knowing full well I overpaid for something would eat at me for weeks. Every time I go I would be reminded and re-live the stress. That's not the same as making a mistake and losing money on a deal, to me that's a cost of doing business, but knowingly overpaying is something that doesn't make me happy at all!
This is where opinion comes in. What is a bad deal? What is it worth to have access to the lounge at Epcot? Or entry into moonlight magic? I personally find value in that. These are perks I think are amazing. So a “bad deal” is relative.

This is what happens when you stay in a 3 Bedroom Grand Villa at Riviera...lol...suddenly the initial 400 pts direct and the 412 pts resale are not quite enough:rotfl2:

wdwdaddy4life- $115-$17,250-150-RIV-OCT-0/21,75/22,150/23-Sent 5/25
I need to stop looking at resale contracts but $115 a point might send me in a downward spiral. I've kind of stayed away from Riviera because of the resale restrictions, but with all of the great reviews and this resale price point, I'm in trouble.

I need to stop looking at resale contracts but $115 a point might send me in a downward spiral. I've kind of stayed away from Riviera because of the resale restrictions, but with all of the great reviews and this resale price point, I'm in trouble.
LOL- its so true/hard to maintain self control when it comes to DVC! I completely understand your RIV resale restrictions concern...luckily for my family its our #1 DVC resort for so many reasons (hopefully that doesn't change anytime in the foreseeable future 😎)

LOL- its so true/hard to maintain self control when it comes to DVC! I completely understand your RIV resale restrictions concern...luckily for my family its our #1 DVC resort for so many reasons (hopefully that doesn't change anytime in the foreseeable future 😎)
Our tastes have changed significantly over the last 15 years. Owned at BLT, VGC, OKW, SSR & BCV. Bought BLT the second it was available for sale, sight unseen, didn't like it. Bought VGC at $72 per point during a CM "fire sale" which I still love, but had to give up.

Love OKW & SSR, but they're both easy to get at 7 months (we go off season). Love BCV & BWV equally, but harder to get into BCV so that's our home. Knowing how much our tastes have changed, and how many times we've bought and resold, there is no way I would buy any resort with the restrictions Riviera has. I am hopeful DVC reverses that course in the future, although I doubt it. Depending on how long it takes to sell out may be a key indicator of future changes. One can hope :)

This is where opinion comes in. What is a bad deal? What is it worth to have access to the lounge at Epcot? Or entry into moonlight magic? I personally find value in that. These are perks I think are amazing. So a “bad deal” is relative.

This is me too. Saving $5k only to be unhappy with what I bought would be a bad deal for me.

But, I don’t want to just stay somewhere and risk not having rooms at the resorts I want so in the end, our happiness for not having to worry is worth that extra.

But then you would only be able to stay at Riviera with those points. It would have to dip into VB or HH territory for me to buy there I think. I would like to stay at Riv at some point but don't want to stay there EVERY time!

But then you would only be able to stay at Riviera with those points. It would have to dip into VB or HH territory for me to buy there I think. I would like to stay at Riv at some point but don't want to stay there EVERY time!
I agree... but I think a good 100 pointer would be nice to have for a few nights. DH and I could stretch those tower studios. IMO, it's these resale restrictions that will end up folding in on themselves over time... by buyers only being able to use them at the home resort, they'll book at 11 months and shut out others who don't own there, even if they are direct.... but that's a whole different convo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!