Rock n roller coaster single rider line

Is it normal for the single rider line on rock n roller coaster to take longer than the standby line? The posted standby time was 70 minutes so we went single rider and waited 80 minutes. Watched a guy who got in the standby line at the same time ride 40 minutes before we did. I asked a worker afterward if that was normal and he said yes. Is this true in your experience? It seems like if the wait time is commonly longer than standby AND you have to separate from your party, there's no advantage to single rider. Expedition Everest definitely does it better.

Wow, that escalated quickly. My intent wasn't to complain. I was simply curious about whether my experience was common so I'd be able to make a better decision next time. We had already ridden the ride once as a group, and then a few of the teenagers wanted to ride again so we thought we'd split up the second time through in hopes of getting through a shorter line and not making the rest of the party wait too long for those who were riding again. I understand that the single rider line doesn't guarantee a faster trip through the line, but the implication is that you're exchanging the opportunity to sit together for the opportunity to get on sooner. If you had to split up AND wait longer, no one would use the single rider line. I get that it's a gamble - I was just trying to ascertain whether the odds were usually worth it or not.
Re-read your first post. Maybe it's a shortcoming of the internet and the fact that you didn't use any way to express your emotion (emojis?), but it sure sounds like complaining to me. You didn't say, "Just curious." You said, "It seems like if the wait time is commonly longer than standby AND you have to separate from your party, there's no advantage to single rider." I think a reasonable person would understand if this were taken as complaining, don't you?

Because it's a free world and if a group wants to try single rider to go faster then they can. It's their choice and they aren't breaking any rules or policies doing it. Otherwise you are right, it's a risk and you don't get to complain if it doesn't work out. Most of the time single riders are faster lines. RnR is about the one one that isn't, in all the single riders lines out there, at Disney or elsewhere. If a group is willing to split up to move through a line faster then so what? It doesn't mean they don't want to share the experience. It just means they want to try to get in more rides as that is more important to them than standing around staring at the back of the other person. I know for me, who I sit next to matters little. We can ride and then talk about the experience later. We don't need to sit next to each other to make it more fun. But every group is different. If it's more important to you to stay together, then don't use the single rider line.
I quoted @AngiTN here because she seems to be the only one that understood what I was getting at. I said that I understand it as a strategy. I said that I know it's not against the rules or policies. I obviously wasn't clear about this point - it's a risk you take, especially with RnRC. You took the risk. You lost. If the OP were truly just curious about the situation she encountered, she perhaps needed to communicate that more effectively.

Re-read your first post. Maybe it's a shortcoming of the internet and the fact that you didn't use any way to express your emotion (emojis?), but it sure sounds like complaining to me. You didn't say, "Just curious." You said, "It seems like if the wait time is commonly longer than standby AND you have to separate from your party, there's no advantage to single rider." I think a reasonable person would understand if this were taken as complaining, don't you?

I quoted @AngiTN here because she seems to be the only one that understood what I was getting at. I said that I understand it as a strategy. I said that I know it's not against the rules or policies. I obviously wasn't clear about this point - it's a risk you take, especially with RnRC. You took the risk. You lost. If the OP were truly just curious about the situation she encountered, she perhaps needed to communicate that more effectively.
Thanks for the clarification. I sincerely wasn't complaining - I think you must be right about the shortcomings of the internet in communicating intent. Obviously it's disappointing to have made a choice that didn't work out how I'd hoped, but I really was just trying to get more info. We've been to Disneyworld several times but, for the reasons you mentioned, had never used the single rider lines before. This trip was different because we had 5 teenagers with us so we gave it a try. It worked really well on Expedition Everest so we tried RnR thinking it would work similarly. Since it didn't, I was mostly curious about whether that was a one off or whether it would be smart to avoid single rider on RnR in the future. I thought maybe it was a one off because I don't know why anyone would get in the single rider line if it was going to take longer. That's why I made the comment about having to separate AND wait longer - because it didn't make sense that anyone would get in that line if there was no advantage to doing so. Or at least the possibility of an advantage. If it consistently takes longer than standby then it doesn't make sense to use it. Maybe me in the RnR single rider line is like the people who choose Ellen's Energy Adventure for a fast pass - just because we didn't know better? :)

The OP is the complainer. I apologize if it came off as I was accusing you of complaining. Obviously I wasn't clear.

I understand that it's not a rule. I've also read the recommendations about using SR lines. My question is, why? Why, if you are not traveling by yourself, would you get in the SR line? Are you really willing to sacrifice the shared experience of riding with friends so that you can, in essence "jump the line?" And btw, if that's the case then an 80 minute wait is just about what you deserve - you'll get to spend more time in line with your friends. Isn't Disney really more about an immersive experience than cramming in all the thrill rides possible (and there aren't that many anyway)? I don't know, maybe it's just me but when I go to Disney with friends and family I want to ride the rides WITH my friends and family, not just the same rides on the same day. To me it just seems like nonsense to get in the single rider line as a group because you think you're basically gaming the system, and then go on a message board and complain that it didn't work out.
Honestly, we've all been on the rides a million times. If we can get FP+ together, great. Otherwise, no, we don't really need to sit together for a two minute experience that we've already repeatedly had. We had more fun doing EE 8(!) times in a row when SRL was a 0-5 minute wait than we would have if we sat together once.

Single rider was terrible when I was there last October. Nearly had to bail out because it was getting too close to the fireworks. Sometimes the crew will start to pair single riders together if it gets too backed up. Crew working that night took SRL very literally, but that's the risk you take when using SRL. Just frustrating for people like me who travel solo.

It did not look like complaining on my internet. Looked like good information for others as well as an inquiry as to what others have seen.

Last edited:

We've found RnR single rider to sometimes be ok and sometimes to be as long or longer than standby. It's never been as good for us as other single rider lines, and we generally don't bother trying it anymore.

One time we were getting in a single rider line, and another guest told a CM, "They aren't single riders. I saw them talking to each other before they got in line." The CM just asked us if we knew that we wouldn't be seated with one another and waved us on.

Fine, but you're not using the line for its intended purpose.

As long as they will split up and ride singly they are absolutely using the line for its intended purpose of single riding.

It's not quoting right but you took umbrage at the use of "we" by the OP. The OP likely doesn't mean "we" as in they were a unit that wouldn't split off. But rather that they were together watching this. They entered the line together and saw this happening. Using the appropriate word for their group doesn't mean they aren't going to split up quickly when pointed to a seat.

Why, if you are not traveling by yourself, would you get in the SR line? Are you really willing to sacrifice the shared experience of riding with friends

Riding separately is not a sacrifice. Having fun by riding rides is not a sacrifice. Meeting new people through the day is fun and gives us things to talk about after the 3 minute ride.

when I go to Disney with friends and family I want to ride the rides WITH my friends and family

Spending all line long and ride long all day long sounds like a recipe for not much to talk about. :) But then my family has tons of together time day to day.

It did not look like complaining on my internet. Looked like good information for others as well as an inquiry as to what others have seen.

We must have the same internet.

Some cms do it right. Some do not. A cm at California Adventure once ignored the Sr line for about 15 minutes. So many seats went out empty. People finally started complaining, the cm got mad, and nearly shut the stand by line down by emptying the SR line! Neither way is how its supposed to be done.

Whereas at the same park the cms in Radiator Springs Racers do it perfectly.
They are incredibly efficient at filling the seats and pulling from the appropriate lines.

I can remember one trip several years ago when I got into the RNR single rider line with almost no wait. I texted my son, who had also ridden single rider about 10 minutes before me to go ahead and ride again when he got off. In the interim (like the time to get out of the store at the end of the ride back into the single rider line) a large tour group got into the single rider line and totally filled the space allocated for the queue. So, I waited about 5 minutes to get onto the ride, while he waited closer to 40. I just don't get into the single rider line if it extends all the way to the entrance to the line.

So can married people use this line or is it only for singles?

Anyone can use it but it is a "fill in" line when they have empty seats so you get on when they have an opening and are not with your party.

One time we were getting in a single rider line, and another guest told a CM, "They aren't single riders. I saw them talking to each other before they got in line."

They must have been bored if they had time to care about what you where doing! :sad2:

Is it normal for the single rider line on rock n roller coaster to take longer than the standby line? The posted standby time was 70 minutes so we went single rider and waited 80 minutes. Watched a guy who got in the standby line at the same time ride 40 minutes before we did. I asked a worker afterward if that was normal and he said yes. Is this true in your experience? It seems like if the wait time is commonly longer than standby AND you have to separate from your party, there's no advantage to single rider. Expedition Everest definitely does it better.

I despise the single rider line at that ride. It gets SOOOOOOO crammed in that fenced area - I'm not claustrophobic, but I was about to have a panic attack in there!! It seems like that ride more than any other people try to sneak odd numbers through and because of the way the ride sits to load, it's a lot harder to catch it before it's too late. But yeah - basically the fact that people just keep getting crammed in that fenced space for the single riders is why when and if I go back to Studios I will FP or just regular stand-by it.

I have done the SR a few times with my daughter. We know we will most likely be separated and we were separated once or twice, certainly did not sit near each other once when on the same ride. I saw once that the CM took an entire load from the SR line. Not sure if there was an issue on the SB line with someone backing out or just wanted to clear the line a bit.

Yeah - the time I referenced in my above post on they finally did a train or two from the single rider line only because we were so crammed in people were panicking.

Last edited:
The OP is the complainer. I apologize if it came off as I was accusing you of complaining. Obviously I wasn't clear.

I understand that it's not a rule. I've also read the recommendations about using SR lines. My question is, why? Why, if you are not traveling by yourself, would you get in the SR line? Are you really willing to sacrifice the shared experience of riding with friends so that you can, in essence "jump the line?" And btw, if that's the case then an 80 minute wait is just about what you deserve - you'll get to spend more time in line with your friends. Isn't Disney really more about an immersive experience than cramming in all the thrill rides possible (and there aren't that many anyway)? I don't know, maybe it's just me but when I go to Disney with friends and family I want to ride the rides WITH my friends and family, not just the same rides on the same day. To me it just seems like nonsense to get in the single rider line as a group because you think you're basically gaming the system, and then go on a message board and complain that it didn't work out.

Yes. We did single rider last spring when we went to DL. We wanted to ride Radiator Springs, but no FP were available. Posted wait time was something like 80 minutes. Single rider wait time posted as 45 minutes. My party of three got in the single rider line. We are not little children, so we weren't concerned about sitting near each other to ride, we just wanted to ride and didn't want to wait 80 minutes. Our wait in the single rider line was 20 minutes, and DS and DH ended up sitting in the same ride vehicle, but not together (the cards were rows of 3, like Test Track, and one of them was in each of the rows). It's not nonsense to do that.

We did single rider last spring when we went to DL. We wanted to ride Radiator Springs, but no FP were available.
O/T but that ride is AWESOME!! I hope DHS adds something like that in their expansion. But that would be more SRL ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter