Rivers of Light Opening Date Announced; Dining Package Details Released

As I keep watching this video, I keep noticing a CM dressed in black on the boat that is seen mostly in this video. I thought everything was supposed to be driverless? This makes me wonder if the floats are driverless and the boats are driven by a CM now?

As I keep watching this video, I keep noticing a CM dressed in black on the boat that is seen mostly in this video. I thought everything was supposed to be driverless? This makes me wonder if the floats are driverless and the boats are driven by a CM now?
Those two shaman boats are not driverless. This is because they have the shamans on the boat. More of a liability issue.

Bummer. Our AK day is Friday, March 31 (currently scheduled as a non-ROL day) and I'm not sure it's worth switching around all of our plans to see this (and FWIW, I would have been willing to pay for a ROL dining package).

Here's hoping that they're starting out with the every other night thing to err on the side of caution and, if all goes well, they'll switch over to every night earlier than they're currently showing.
Is park hopping an option for you? Snag a dinner reservation and then see the show?

Right or wrong, I'm excited about it., but I just saw the following a Disney news article:
I would disregard Sara's description. Not everyone will love it, but I just can't understand Sara's strong sentiment. I can tell you that she does not represent the view of the overwhelming majority of the 700 people that watched the show two nights ago. I spoke to a number of the mommy bloggers immediately after the show and yesterday as well, and they couldn't praise it enough. As I said, see it for yourself and decide.

Rivers of light is not a fireworks show by any means and AK doesn't need that.

That's what Disney has always told us... "Can't have fireworks at AK, it will scare the animals..." I'm not so sure after our last trip. We watched some of the HS fireworks from the porch outside Nomad lounge. Not only were the fireworks quite visible, the booms were still surprisingly loud given the distance between the two parks (about 2 miles straight line).

That's what Disney has always told us... "Can't have fireworks at AK, it will scare the animals..." I'm not so sure after our last trip. We watched some of the HS fireworks from the porch outside Nomad lounge. Not only were the fireworks quite visible, the booms were still surprisingly loud given the distance between the two parks (about 2 miles straight line).
It's not that AK can't have fireworks its more about the fallout. They can't have animals eating that stuff or the savanna starting on fire.

I will be there march 2. Here is what I am wondering if anyone can chime in?

1. Is sunset about 6:30 ?
2. I am have trouble finding current Awakenings times. When will they start if sunset
is 6:30? I am thinking would not be possible to see before the show if you want to be to the theater by 6:30 if you have FP.
2.5 - Is 6:30 best...early enough with FP?
3. WHERE exactly is this theater? I cant seem to find a map is it right by Flame Tree?

Last edited:

Sunset on 2 March is 6:27. Civil twilight (when it gets too dark to see to play baseball, for instance) is 6:51. Nautical twilight (when you can no longer distinguish the horizon) is 7:18. Typically it's not really "dark" until somewhere between Civil and Nautical twilight. It's not astronomically dark (when the background sky quits changing brightness) until 7:45 that day, but for most people, "fully dark" is about when nautical twilight happens.

I will be there march 2. Here is what I am wondering if anyone can chime in?

2. I am have trouble finding current Awakenings times. When will they start if sunset
is 6:30? I am thinking would not be possible to see before the show if you want to be to the theater by 6:30 if you have FP.
2.5 - Is 6:30 best...early enough with FP?
3. WHERE exactly is this theater? I cant seem to find a map is it right by Flame Tree?

1.) Looks like sunset will be at 6:26pm on March 2nd.

2.) Not sure, I've never experienced Awakenings, so I don't really know what kind of lighting (or non-lighting) is needed.

3.) Here is a picture to help

Edit: To the poster above me, thanks for breaking down the difference. I had no idea so just went with the "sunset" column.

1.) Looks like sunset will be at 6:26pm on March 2nd.

2.) Not sure, I've never experienced Awakenings, so I don't really know what kind of lighting (or non-lighting) is needed.

3.) Here is a picture to help

Edit: To the poster above me, thanks for breaking down the difference. I had no idea so just went with the "sunset" column.

Thank you! So if I am reading the pic correctly the seating basicly "faces" the Tree of Life with Everest behind you?

Sunset on 2 March is 6:27. Civil twilight (when it gets too dark to see to play baseball, for instance) is 6:51. Nautical twilight (when you can no longer distinguish the horizon) is 7:18. Typically it's not really "dark" until somewhere between Civil and Nautical twilight. It's not astronomically dark (when the background sky quits changing brightness) until 7:45 that day, but for most people, "fully dark" is about when nautical twilight happens.

This is great! I was also wanting a night Safari so sounds like in March would have to be after ROL

As of a few minutes ago (approx. 4pm):
  • ROL dining packages aren't available for July.
  • Clicking on Animal Kingdom's schedule for a date in mid-July brings up "Activities at This Park/Destination cannot be displayed at this time, for the selected Date".
  • Animal Kingdom park closing in July (for a few random dates I clicked on) is still 7:00pm.
My guess is that they are still deciding on July show times, which will then drive RoL dining package reservation times (since there's that interval they want between the meal time and the show time), and also park closing times.

Point of my post (sorry to be so long-winded) is to ask: When do you (Ryan, or anyone else who might be able to make an educated guess) think Disney will open RoL dining reservations, post showtimes, and update park hours!?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts (I know we won't know for sure until it happens!).

While we're at the tangent of awakening times, that is of interest to me. Can you calculate when they will do awakenings based upon the various dusk, twilight, etc. times? I would want to try to see both if possible, since we're just going to AK one day (our first time in AK).

Can anyone verify that they have a time past 4:25 PM on any day in Feb, Mar or Apr reserved for the ROL package at Tusker? I'm trying to find out if it's booked up or simply unavailable to anyone despite having later times available at Tiffins.

Can anyone verify that they have a time past 4:25 PM on any day in Feb, Mar or Apr reserved for the ROL package at Tusker? I'm trying to find out if it's booked up or simply unavailable to anyone despite having later times available at Tiffins.
i have a 4:40 and it is for the package for the first show.

I'm suprised it's only showing every other night. Doesn't seem to help distribute the AK crowds very well. Parkhopping for the show will possibly be a good strategy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter