Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through the last 3 days of experiences for this ride at WDW are making me nervous. For a while there, it seemed that as long as you got there early enough to be in the park at opening, you would get a boarding pass. Now they go in like the first 60 seconds.

I was at DHS on 12/29, and the boarding group process was rough. Disney's IT infrastructure doesn't support 5000+ simultaneous attempts to access it particularly well, and I got errors the first 5 times I tried to get a pass. I did eventually manage to snag one, though, and the ride itself is every bit as good as it is reputed to be. Which is saying a lot, because getting on it at Disney World requires some serious logistical planning right now.

My guess is that things will settle down at Disneyland fairly quickly, though. It doesn't get hammered with crowds in the same way that Disney World does. Disney World has 30,000 rooms on-site and hundreds of thousands of guests during the high season, all of whom are determined to see the newest and best attraction. If you compare the wait times between the parks the attractions at Disney World almost always have longer wait times.

I'll be interested to see what happens on the 17th. A lot depends on whether Disney has managed to get the ride's operational issues worked out. I've seen rumors that the Disneyland version is running more consistently than the DHS version, since they've had time to roll in changes without having to work around guests. I'll guess we'll find out.

I was at DHS on 12/29, and the boarding group process was rough. Disney's IT infrastructure doesn't support 5000+ simultaneous attempts to access it particularly well, and I got errors the first 5 times I tried to get a pass.

Oof. That’s great feedback supporting a lottery available to enter from the time of scanned entry until such time when results of who got a BG and who didn’t are decided & revealed (after park opening time and after backup boarding groups are filled).

That takes the sense of urgency away from people outside turnstile bottlenecks and spreads demand on the IT infrastructure from 90 seconds to 45 minutes or so.

I was at DHS on 12/29, and the boarding group process was rough. Disney's IT infrastructure doesn't support 5000+ simultaneous attempts to access it particularly well, and I got errors the first 5 times I tried to get a pass. I did eventually manage to snag one, though, and the ride itself is every bit as good as it is reputed to be. Which is saying a lot, because getting on it at Disney World requires some serious logistical planning right now.

My guess is that things will settle down at Disneyland fairly quickly, though. It doesn't get hammered with crowds in the same way that Disney World does. Disney World has 30,000 rooms on-site and hundreds of thousands of guests during the high season, all of whom are determined to see the newest and best attraction. If you compare the wait times between the parks the attractions at Disney World almost always have longer wait times.

I'll be interested to see what happens on the 17th. A lot depends on whether Disney has managed to get the ride's operational issues worked out. I've seen rumors that the Disneyland version is running more consistently than the DHS version, since they've had time to roll in changes without having to work around guests. I'll guess we'll find out.
12/29 was just bad cause of the rain in the morning. It was the day with our highest number boarding group (55), but crowds were def worse on 1/1 (got 48 that day). Best day was NYE (we got 13). Operationally 12/29 and 12/31 were the best days this past week.

We were there on 12/28th -- in the rain and without coffee! It'll be very interesting to see how DLR is going to handle the turnstile timing, locations (DL only?) and the drop times for the BG. I don't anticipate the 10k of people at opening and BG done in 2minutes like the past three days on a consistent basis-----but DLR better be ready for the POTENTIAL of this as there's no blackouts for all the thousands of APs eligible to get in and it being a three day weekend. So there's a very good chance for a mass of humanity at the gates in the morning that they need to have a contingency for.

Gotta admit, I'm not a fan of the idea of using both theme parks for turnstiles. They could theoretically do the same at WDW, but they haven't.

I'm sure they're putting a lot of thought into how to make the boarding group assignments at Disneyland as fair as possible without turning DL into what DHS has become - thousands of people at the gates at 6am. It'll be exciting to see what they come up with since it's obvious that they won't be able to meet demand.

Last year, when SWGE opened, they officially had the parking lots open at 11pm or Midnight, but in reality, I heard they never closed from the day before, so they were just open the whole time. The crowds didn't materialize last June, but something tells me they will on the 17th!

Remember, Disneyland already did boarding groups back in June when Star Wars Land opened.

So annoying! And the picture taking at the gates in general is soooooooooooo annoying! Really wish they would come up with a better system. Designated lines for APs would be nice.
Since APs generally represent 60% of the average day's guests, designated lines wouldn't really help. They tried them in the past and it didn't work. Over Christmas when APs were less than 10%, frequently first thing in the AM, they didn't take pics while they were first entering and took the picture later on second entry.

While it may not seem fair to one group, it’s likely the fairest for the largest number of people this way.

Randomness is never fairer than certainty. You sure can't say it's fairest to "the largest number of people" because the same number of people get a boarding pass either way. It's not even fairer to the larger group as a whole because it gives a much larger group of people false hope to have a lottery.

If you give people first come, first served tickets then someone who REALLY wants to ride will for sure be able to do so, by showing up early.

If you have a lottery system, then if there is enough demand a person on a once in a lifetime trip may not even get to ride, no matter what they do. That sucks.

Whenever there is way more demand than can be supplied, there is no system that is satisfactory to everyone. But you can at least make it fair to people with greater need, instead of random and making everyone panic and stressed.

Some say the lottery system means people will not show up early... but they still do at DHS, and they will for a long time at Disneyland also. There are still advantages to getting in the park as early as possible, like checking with cast members to make sure your whole party is registered, or to take advantage of rope drop for rides. Or to get on Park WiFi to make sure you can get a boarding pass easier, or line up at a CM before they release the boarding groups so they could scan you in with presumably less risk of failure than the app (which has been reported as glitching under really high demand with so many people trying at once).

Last edited:
Here is my big question about ROTR: I am pregnant and I will be 28 weeks when we are at DLR (Feb 16-21). What is the likelihood I will be able to ride?? I know some will be off limits for sure...Gonna ask my doc for her recommendations but I might still ride star tours if I can fit the seat belt under the bump.

Remember, Disneyland already did boarding groups back in June when Star Wars Land opened.

Since APs generally represent 60% of the average day's guests, designated lines wouldn't really help. They tried them in the past and it didn't work. Over Christmas when APs were less than 10%, frequently first thing in the AM, they didn't take pics while they were first entering and took the picture later on second entry.
Both Disneyland and DHS used the boarding groups for land access on the first day they were open to the public, that was the only time they were used for land access.

Here is my big question about ROTR: I am pregnant and I will be 28 weeks when we are at DLR (Feb 16-21). What is the likelihood I will be able to ride?? I know some will be off limits for sure...Gonna ask my doc for her recommendations but I might still ride star tours if I can fit the seat belt under the bump.
The sign outside the ride says expectant mother’s should not ride. It’s a lap belt restraint like star tours. Spoilers about the way the ride moves below.
It has some jerky sudden movements and spinning as well as quick starts and stops and there is a 3 second drop at one point that’s being pulled like on guardians but intensity wise is more like the pirates drop.

I would not personally ride Star Tours pregnant. It’s very bumpy/jarring. same goes for Millennium Falcon But then again I really erred on the side of caution with my pregnancies... for me it just wasn’t ever worth the risk, no matter how small. But curious what your doctor would say... and in the end it’s your body and your decision of course!

I would not personally ride Star Tours pregnant. It’s very bumpy/jarring. same goes for Millennium Falcon But then again I really erred on the side of caution with my pregnancies... for me it just wasn’t ever worth the risk, no matter how small. But curious what your doctor would say... and in the end it’s your body and your decision of course!
I will definitely follow my doctor's recommendations, and who knows, by then I might be too uncomfortable to even think about riding! This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have any prior experience to base these things on. I have read some other threads/info about DLR while pregnant and most people say they just go by the "expectant mothers shouldn't ride" signs but some say their doctor's made exceptions.

Reading through the last 3 days of experiences for this ride at WDW are making me nervous. For a while there, it seemed that as long as you got there early enough to be in the park at opening, you would get a boarding pass. Now they go in like the first 60 seconds.
The Touring Plans actual measures crowd level at DHS has been a 10/10 each of the last 3 days. Let’s see what happens on Monday.

I will definitely follow my doctor's recommendations, and who knows, by then I might be too uncomfortable to even think about riding! This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have any prior experience to base these things on. I have read some other threads/info about DLR while pregnant and most people say they just go by the "expectant mothers shouldn't ride" signs but some say their doctor's made exceptions.
A lot of people think "Oh, that ride isn't any worse than ... " Here is what people DON"T take into account... An E-Stop. I used to tell friends "I would ride racers pregnant, it's like riding in a car at 35mph", until I experienced a major E-Stop. The seat belt stopped hard across my stomach area, and seriously hurt. I cannot imagine having been pregnant. Now I will tell friends of my experience and I do not recommend it at all.

ugh! don't tell me that. I'm going to WDW later this month, and trying to do this ride is a main priority for my friend who loves star wars. I would just skip it and wait until I got back to DL, but since she doesn't go to Disney parks often we are going to try and do the boarding groups.
You should be fine- the boarding groups were gone because it was Christmas break. I went to HS and scanned in at 7:47am and got boarding group 104 that was a week after rise opened but.. it was before all the kids were out of school. So a less busy time.

A lot of people think "Oh, that ride isn't any worse than ... " Here is what people DON"T take into account... An E-Stop. I used to tell friends "I would ride racers pregnant, it's like riding in a car at 35mph", until I experienced a major E-Stop. The seat belt stopped hard across my stomach area, and seriously hurt. I cannot imagine having been pregnant. Now I will tell friends of my experience and I do not recommend it at all.
Omg I had not thought of it that way, at all. Thank you for pointing that out - although if I tell my husband he might not want me riding in cars anymore 😂

IT TURNS OUT that my daughter has no school on the 17th! pixiedust:

So, we will be there, taking our chances with whatever happens. May the Force be with us.
Good luck. I wish I could go opening day, but can’t take off of work since I leave for another wdw trip in the afternoon on 1/18. Going to try and ride in the morning on 1/18 before my flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter