Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems my plan for MM on Thursday the 23rd is still a good plan ... thus far.

I’ll be there on opening day as well and I’ll post my experiences starting at 2 AM 😀

Are you really going to be at DL at 2am?? I will also be there for opening day and my friends and I have started to wonder how early we should line up at the park. Is security gonna let people line up that early that day? I'll be at DL late on the 16th thru MLK day.

Are you really going to be at DL at 2am?? I will also be there for opening day and my friends and I have started to wonder how early we should line up at the park. Is security gonna let people line up that early that day? I'll be at DL late on the 16th thru MLK day.
I hear rumblings about people planning to show up very very early.

I really wish they would announce exactly how they are going to handle the boarding groups, because if they do it like WDW does it now - opening the boarding groups at park open - there could be a lot of disappointed people who don’t end up getting a boarding group even though they waited at the gate all night.

I’m also curious what their plan is in case the esplanade gets totally packed with people very early.

Of course, maybe it’ll be like all the rest of the SWGE stuff, and there will only be a modest crowd. Who knows.

I hear rumblings about people planning to show up very very early.

I really wish they would announce exactly how they are going to handle the boarding groups, because if they do it like WDW does it now - opening the boarding groups at park open - there could be a lot of disappointed people who don’t end up getting a boarding group even though they waited at the gate all night.

I’m also curious what their plan is in case the esplanade gets totally packed with people very early.

Of course, maybe it’ll be like all the rest of the SWGE stuff, and there will only be a modest crowd. Who knows.
My guess is they will handle like HS at WDW - they started letting people into the park early (but the park wasn't open, similar to how they do rope drop at DL) and didn't allow for boarding groups until official park open.

I always get stuck behind someone who wants to argue why they have to get their picture taken, or ask 20 questions on how to use the disney app.

Is this picture taking thing new? I stunt remember that from when we were there in 2015. We'll be going at the end of March.

Never mind. Answered a few posts below the one I responded to.

I am forced to move my trip. Hoping that it will help lighten things up and provide knowledge of how this works. I am going Jan 31st and Feb 1st now. Hoping to get on once.

I remember waiting in line for the 50th Anniversary. They had a looooooong line going through all of Downtown Disney. We got in line near the Monorail stop around 0500.

I wonder if they will just fill the park to Main Street, then have the line going out that way. It would make it crazy as people would be more worried about getting in quickly to get a BG but it is possible. They need to tell us already!

I do know people that will be getting in line as early as they let you, even if that means the night before.

Are these boarding groups at HS really being filled in under a minute like someone mentioned here? The last report I read was just under 30 minutes....which is still very quick, but not in seconds.

Are these boarding groups at HS really being filled in under a minute like someone mentioned here? The last report I read was just under 30 minutes....which is still very quick, but not in seconds.
Today the guaranteed groups were gone in under 10 min. Backup groups stick around for 2 hours or so after.

That’s what I’m planning on but it’s very much subject to change based on how much information Disney does or doesn’t release before then. I don’t know when they will let people line up but I believe it was open all night the night before SWGE opened. Downtown Disney is open until 2 AM and that’s part of the walk from my Airbnb anyway so I’ll probably go that way.

But the whole point of WDW not opening BGs as you scan through the gate (after the first few days when they did do that) was to discourage people from lining up earlier and earlier to try to get an early BG. Now you just need to be far enough ahead of the crowd to get through the gate before park opening time. So someone who arrived 4 hours early would have the same chance at a BG as someone who arrived 10 minutes early, as long as 10 minutes was enough time to get through the gate. They were having trouble managing huge early morning crowds building outside DHS at all hours of the early morning before they made this change. They are still dealing with huge crowds, but they are showing up later (thus Disney does not have to spend money on CMs or security during those crazy early morning hours).

The BGs did get all booked up in 1-2 minutes for 4 days in a row. Yesterday was better, about 15 minutes. Today was worse, as dina444444 said. The problem with 1-2 minutes is that if you have an issue with the app, you don't have time to do much before all the regular BGs are gone. And backup BGs are hit or miss for getting to ride. They actually didn't even get through the regular BGs a few days ago due to ride technical issues, and that was terrible.

Our plan next month is for my family of 6 to be using 6 different devices to try to get a BG. I am hoping the sheer number of forces in my army will result in victory.

How does it work with groups. Does each person in your party have to get one or can one person in your group get it for your entire group? If each person gets one how do you make sure you are in the same group?

But the whole point of WDW not opening BGs as you scan through the gate (after the first few days when they did do that) was to discourage people from lining up earlier and earlier to try to get an early BG.

That's nice and all but even with that there are advantages to showing up early, so people still will. And we have no idea what Disneyland will do, perhaps they think first come first served is more fair the first few opening days (as was true with Hollywood Studios at opening).

So since people just show up early anyway, why should Disney keep the plan to not release BG until after the park is filled with far more people that can have one...

Now you just need to be far enough ahead of the crowd to get through the gate before park opening time. So someone who arrived 4 hours early would have the same chance at a BG as someone who arrived 10 minutes early, as long as 10 minutes was enough time to get through the gate.

It seems like getting through Disneyland gates is a lot slower so 10 minutes might be pretty questionable...

Getting there early lets you double check things like you being recognized as in the park. It still gives you front of the line rope drop for other attractions. It lets you get set up however you like to monitor boarding group release.

Heck it even can let you be first in line for coffee/pastry ahead of the crowds. So why not risk it when it might also help get a good boarding group.

They were having trouble managing huge early morning crowds building outside DHS at all hours of the early morning before they made this change. They are still dealing with huge crowds, but they are showing up later (thus Disney does not have to spend money on CMs or security during those crazy early morning hours).

I followed the DisneyWorld thread for quite a while, I don't think it made the crowds show up much later at all. If the crowds were really showing up later they would not continue the park early opening as they have been.

The BGs did get all booked up in 1-2 minutes for 4 days in a row. Yesterday was better, about 15 minutes. Today was worse, as dina444444 said. The problem with 1-2 minutes is that if you have an issue with the app, you don't have time to do much before all the regular BGs are gone. And backup BGs are hit or miss for getting to ride. They actually didn't even get through the regular BGs a few days ago due to ride technical issues, and that was terrible.

Getting there very early also means you can get in position very close to a cast member with an iPad who can check you in if the app has any issues.

When there's a huge demand for something there are just going to be a lot of people that show up early period... and when you are talking Star Wars stuff, you have a lot of very dedicated fans that have been battle hardened for years to accept extreme lines and long waits.

Can someone provide a quick explanation of how this Group Boarding works for the Rise of the Resistance Ride?

We are going to be there on the opening weekend and haven't been to SW:GE yet.

Does this Boarding Group feature only apply to the RotR ride?

or

Does it apply to both the RotR and the MF:SR ride as well?

How does it work with groups. Does each person in your party have to get one or can one person in your group get it for your entire group? If each person gets one how do you make sure you are in the same group?

You should look for YouTube videos on this (Tim Tracker has one up just recently) but basically when you ask to have a boarding group there's another step where it shows you all of the members of your party and lets you select who you want in the boarding group. They all have to be recognized as being in the park. In theory each person could try to just get a boarding group for themselves but then you might not be all riding together depending on how fast boarding groups are going.

Can someone provide a quick explanation of how this Group Boarding works for the Rise of the Resistance Ride?

We are going to be there on the opening weekend and haven't been to SW:GE yet.

Does this Boarding Group feature only apply to the RotR ride?

or

Does it apply to both the RotR and the MF:SR ride as well?
To get a BG you go on the app and reserve one. I think the process is pretty simple and it’s like getting a Fastpass (with Maxpass) in a lot of ways as far as reserving it. You can select which people will be going and you’ll all get the same BG if one is available. When there is room for your BG, you can go use it on ROTR. At WDW, the BG was only for ROTR and the rest of the land was open. We don’t know if they’ll release BGs before or at park opening yet.

But the whole point of WDW not opening BGs as you scan through the gate (after the first few days when they did do that) was to discourage people from lining up earlier and earlier to try to get an early BG. Now you just need to be far enough ahead of the crowd to get through the gate before park opening time. So someone who arrived 4 hours early would have the same chance at a BG as someone who arrived 10 minutes early, as long as 10 minutes was enough time to get through the gate.
I understand how it works at WDW but DL has released basically no details about the BGs except that they will exist and so for now I’m preparing for the worst, which is to go around 2 AM. If they release more details (which they didn’t at WDW), then maybe I’ll consider going later, but still, the crowds might be so high that morning that even if they don’t release BGs until the park opens at 8, if I go too much later, I might not even get in by then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter