Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting there very early also means you can get in position very close to a cast member with an iPad who can check you in if the app has any issues.

I have not seen much discussed about this. Just people talking about having wi-fi or app problems, and ending up with higher BG's, or even as a backup group. Will there be CM's capable of getting you into a group? Wouldn't the best idea be to stick like glue to one of them, and then still have the option of trying on your phone as well?

Didn't Disneyland have kiosks set up when they intended to use them for Galaxy's Edge Boarding Groups? Was anyone there that 1st morning? Were there also CM's with hand held devices?

Is it possible that Disney isn’t even sure exactly how they are going to handle BGs and crowds on RotR weekend? When do CM schedules get released? Will they be able to open the gates extra early if the esplanade is mobbed?

I’ll tell you I don’t think I’d be too happy if I showed up at, say, 5am to find a solid wall of people backed up from the gate to Earl of Sandwich, and then for whatever reason was unable to get a BG that day.

It’s weird because they handled the opening of SW:GE SO WELL and all they got for it is people mocking them for not being crowded. Well, at least initially, a large reason for no insanity at the opening is because of how well the reservation period was implemented. They promised a good guest experience, and it was. Which is why I find it strange that there are so few details about the RotR opening only a week away.

That’s what I’m planning on but it’s very much subject to change based on how much information Disney does or doesn’t release before then. I don’t know when they will let people line up but I believe it was open all night the night before SWGE opened. Downtown Disney is open until 2 AM and that’s part of the walk from my Airbnb anyway so I’ll probably go that way.

Hmmmm....Looks like I might be joining you....LOLOL....

Is it possible that Disney isn’t even sure exactly how they are going to handle BGs and crowds on RotR weekend? When do CM schedules get released? Will they be able to open the gates extra early if the esplanade is mobbed?

I’ll tell you I don’t think I’d be too happy if I showed up at, say, 5am to find a solid wall of people backed up from the gate to Earl of Sandwich, and then for whatever reason was unable to get a BG that day.

It’s weird because they handled the opening of SW:GE SO WELL and all they got for it is people mocking them for not being crowded. Well, at least initially, a large reason for no insanity at the opening is because of how well the reservation period was implemented. They promised a good guest experience, and it was. Which is why I find it strange that there are so few details about the RotR opening only a week away.
The CMs I know well are all in entertainment, and they get their schedules each Friday night. I’m not sure if that’s true for eveeyone

I do think it’s very possible that they haven’t decided what they’re doing yet.

I think they want some teeming masses to prove SWGE wasn’t a bust. But they need to figure out how to organize those masses. Which seems like a very tricky thing to accomplish well.

It will be interesting to see whether you will be able to book a boarding group if you have only entered DCA

Well since DCA is an EMH day that Friday, guests will have entered the park at 7am. So at 8am, they can book a BG since they are already in the park. Looks like they might have an advantage.

I think cast member previews are starting up today or at least very soon. I imagine they are going to do some A/B testing with them and nail down the process.

Looks like rain next Friday too, that could throw an interesting wrench into things 😆 and also make waiting all night miserable. I am anxiously waiting to hear how this is all going to work. I’m feeling stressed about how it’s all going to effect the week we are there.

I think cast member previews are starting up today or at least very soon. I imagine they are going to do some A/B testing with them and nail down the process.

I think they’re doing something today, the old FP machines by Buzz have “cast event” signs and lots of people standing around. I wonder if they’re using those to assign BGs. Heading to GE later so we’ll walk by RoR and see.

Looks like rain next Friday too, that could throw an interesting wrench into things 😆 and also make waiting all night miserable. I am anxiously waiting to hear how this is all going to work. I’m feeling stressed about how it’s all going to effect the week we are there.
I would not rely on a weather prediction 9 days out.

Heard from a friend who is friends with a CM that they are indeed doing CM previews today! I know that's not the most reliable source ("I heard from so-and-so who heard from so-and-so..." 🙃) but he said they were using the boarding group system. Seems like they are testing out the entire process & system, which is great.

Yes, they started testing the process of testing the ride and the boarding group process with cast and invited guests.

Yes, they started testing the process of testing the ride and the boarding group process with cast and invited guests.
Exciting! Looking forward to some reports starting now and activity picking up. Lots of lessons learned from WDWs earlier opening. I like how they've settled into the current regimen and as fair, efficient, and safe as possible for all. -- including guests and CMs.

I'm HOPING for of DLR using DLR existing operations:
1. EMH alternating that EMH stay the same, No GE
2. Maxpass routine - grab BG from either park once you're scanned into a park and done at standard opening/rope drop

I actually kind of hope it rains because I honestly don’t mind rain as long as the rides don’t close (and ROTR shouldn’t close for weather since it’s indoor) but since other people do mind, maybe the crowds will be less...

I actually kind of hope it rains because I honestly don’t mind rain as long as the rides don’t close (and ROTR shouldn’t close for weather since it’s indoor) but since other people do mind, maybe the crowds will be less...
Yes this is my thinking as well, I honestly would prefer some rain the day’s we are there :)

I suspect the impact of a rainy day will be different at DL to WDW where more folk are "locked in"
Rain might discourage locals from visiting Disneyland
Rain will likely discourage many locals from going to the park. But there is a lot of pent up demand for ROTR, and people would be getting up early with the sole intent of getting on that 1 attraction. They're not necessarily worried about riding anything else in the park on 1/17, and there will therefore be more people willing to deal with the rain, just for the chance of riding on the 1st day it's open to the public.

I know because I speak for myself. Since I have an AP, you couldn't get me to brave a day of rain at the park, when I could go another time and be less miserable. But that may not be the case next Friday, and I might not care if it's raining, but I would probably wait to see how bad a storm it's supposed to be before deciding to not go.

Does anyone know a good rain dance?

That's nice and all but even with that there are advantages to showing up early, so people still will. And we have no idea what Disneyland will do, perhaps they think first come first served is more fair the first few opening days (as was true with Hollywood Studios at opening).

So since people just show up early anyway, why should Disney keep the plan to not release BG until after the park is filled with far more people that can have one...

It seems like getting through Disneyland gates is a lot slower so 10 minutes might be pretty questionable...

Getting there early lets you double check things like you being recognized as in the park. It still gives you front of the line rope drop for other attractions. It lets you get set up however you like to monitor boarding group release.

Heck it even can let you be first in line for coffee/pastry ahead of the crowds. So why not risk it when it might also help get a good boarding group.

I followed the DisneyWorld thread for quite a while, I don't think it made the crowds show up much later at all. If the crowds were really showing up later they would not continue the park early opening as they have been.

Getting there very early also means you can get in position very close to a cast member with an iPad who can check you in if the app has any issues.

When there's a huge demand for something there are just going to be a lot of people that show up early period... and when you are talking Star Wars stuff, you have a lot of very dedicated fans that have been battle hardened for years to accept extreme lines and long waits.

I do not think DLR will let it be first come first served because that will encourage people to spend the night every night or camp out or whatever to get to the front of the line. Those folks won’t care if they are first for coffee or first on Indy; they are there for ROTR. And when they did that at WDW, people were parking at 2AM. Now that they have changed it, it is still a massive amount of people, but reports on that thread are that if you arrive at 4am for a 7am open, you will have very little company at the gates now that they changed the system. I think they started with 6am openings during the holidays to simply get more time for the ride to operate in a park day (they have also extended close time several nights, often when there were tech issues with the ride and it looked like they would not get through all of the BGs). But I have followed every page of the WDW thread, and people there report that the new “not” first come first served method made people comfortable to show up later.

You are correct that being at the front of the pack may help you get to a CM to help if your device or app fails. Lines at those folks have been long at WDW, and when BGs were going in 1-2 minutes there last week, unless you had your face in the CM ipad right at park opening, you could not have gotten them to help you in time to get a BG anyway. I suspect the first days at DLR are going to be similar with BGs gone in minutes.

I agree that 10 minutes will be inadequate on opening weekend to get through the gates, but maybe not when things calm down. It was meant simply to illustrate that arriving hours early or just in time to get through the gates give you equal chance to get an early BG, all things electronic being equal and no app failures.

Yes there are many other advantages to getting there super early, as you listed. I just wanted folks here to know that if they do it like WDW, you don’t have to be hours early to get a BG, you just have to be in the gate. I figure most people aren’t reading that thread every day, so sharing what they are doing there might help someone. I don’t know why they would do drastically different procedures at WDW and DLR, because many of the logistical challenges of having thousands of people standing in front of a closed park for hours are similar.

And I agree as well that there are many hard core SW fans who will line up as early as they are allowed onto the Espalade, no matter what the procedure is. But for the regular fan, I think most of us just want to understand how to have a good chance of riding ROTR without spending the night out on the pavement!

It sounds like we should get in the gate at opening and grab your BG immediately. Be a weekday. And raining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter