Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone tested this over the weekend - you have to be scanned into DL to try for a BG. Only scanned into DCA did not work.

No one has yet tried scanning in to DL and then into DCA, to see if it works with any scan or if DL has to be the latest Scan, I plan to test this on Sunday if no one else has done so before then.

Yes, that would be a great data point: does scanning into DCA after scanning into DLR negate your status for getting a BG? I'm really curious to know but don't blame anyone who doesn't want to be the guinea pig and risk losing their shot.

Yes, that would be a great data point: does scanning into DCA after scanning into DLR negate your status for getting a BG? I'm really curious to know but don't blame anyone who doesn't want to be the guinea pig and risk losing their shot.
I’m staying at GC, and Sunday will be my third day there, plus I am AP, so it is not quite as much of a risk for me to test. And I’ll have MM to DCA to be able to use that entrance & bypass any longer DCA lines. I’m also curious!

How far away were you when you got the notification? People have been wondering how far away they can be and still know when their BG is called.
Since we aren't on GPS and they are using push notifications, you can be anywhere.

Silly, non-techie question: How do I know if I've done this on an iPhone? The obvious windows are easy to close, but how can I know if there is something possibly still running that I don't see?
On the latest, swipe up from the bottom of an iPhone. It will bring up all your apps that are open. Swipe up on each one individually to close them out.

I have a question. If you use the fp? machine does it give you a boarding group for everyone in your party or is it a single bg like a fp.

Great info in thread, thanks! Will be there in mid March, hopefully crowds, ride reliability, etc improve so we can have a good shot to ride this! So, if the published opening time is say, 9 a.m. (No MM or EMH hours), does DL ever open or begin riding rides at say 8:50 similar to WDW? This would certainly impact your timing with the app and RotR.
Also, what app or setting do you use for your clock on phone to show the "seconds" as well so I can time this appropriately? I'm thinking having the app open, tickets linked and hitting "Find Out More" exactly at 9 a.m. should give me a good chance, I have Verizon and a Galaxy phone so will avoid WIFI and large crowds that day. TIA...

Also, when is the best time to return for your bg. At the start or at the end of your return time?

Wow, I didn’t check the boards for few days & this forum went from 36 pages to 109. So, I’m not reading all of that, but here are my ROTR experiences if it helps anyone. Friday the 17th, we got BG 71 & were called up somewhere around 5:00 or 5:15.

On Saturday the 18th we got BG 17, but I can’t remember exactly what time we were called. I know we got in the queue about 9:20ish. So, I think it was about 9:00, or maybe a few minutes earlier.

Lastly, on Sunday the 19th we were BG 14. We were called up right about 9:35. It took us a bit of time to get over there as we were at breakfast. When we arrived the ride was down. Being that it was day 3 we had sore feet & had already accomplished most of what we wanted in the parks. As such, we decided to sit on the wall across from the ride & wait for it to reopen, as did several other guests. There was a very loud, rather rude CM who kept yelling at everyone to leave. Saying the ride would be down upwards of an hour or two & we had to go do other things. The repeated use of the words “had to” pushed all my buttons in the wrong way & ensured there was no chance that I was leaving that wall until I could queue up. At one point after screaming to the crowd in general he walked right over to me & asked if I had heard what he said. I simply replied yes & went back to what I was doing. Having screamed in front of us 30 times or so at this point we had obviously heard him & simply chose to stay. As did everyone else on the wall.

I didn’t keep track of the time, but I think it was about an hour & a half until the ride came back up. We got in the queue & had almost made it to the first show area when it broke down again. Everyone immediately sat down on the benches & floor & they let us wait. At some point they handed out free chips & water to everyone. It was probably about an hour wait & then the ride came back up.

As to getting a BG in the 1st place, my best advice is this. A few minutes before 8:00, force your app closed & restart it. Then despite all temptations, just wait on the home page. The instant the time on your phone changes to 8:00, click the “find out more” button & then the “join boarding group”.

Good luck everyone!

Great info in thread, thanks! Will be there in mid March, hopefully crowds, ride reliability, etc improve so we can have a good shot to ride this! So, if the published opening time is say, 9 a.m. (No MM or EMH hours), does DL ever open or begin riding rides at say 8:50 similar to WDW? This would certainly impact your timing with the app and RotR.
Also, what app or setting do you use for your clock on phone to show the "seconds" as well so I can time this appropriately? I'm thinking having the app open, tickets linked and hitting "Find Out More" exactly at 9 a.m. should give me a good chance, I have Verizon and a Galaxy phone so will avoid WIFI and large crowds that day. TIA...
I found the option for seconds...if it helps anyone else with Samsung and/or Galaxy it is a "single" tap on the clock on the 2nd lock screen to display seconds, thanks!

I have a question. If you use the fp? machine does it give you a boarding group for everyone in your party or is it a single bg like a fp.
ISomeone commented earlier they saw a guy scan 8 tickets in the machine in less than a minute and get BGs for all of them. So appears to be single, as the BG is tied to an activated ticket.

Silly, non-techie question: How do I know if I've done this on an iPhone? The obvious windows are easy to close, but how can I know if there is something possibly still running that I don't see?
In addition to ‘swiping out’ any apps that you have opened, you can also turn off ‘Background App Refresh’ in Settings for apps where you don’t need the app constantly updating.

Example: I have the MLB app to purchase game tickets but because it isn’t baseball season, I have ‘Background App Refresh’ turned off. Same for the WDW app - we just completed our ‘last’ visit so I don’t need to check it.

It may seem excessive but because CM DD was blocked out of Studios, we only had 1 day using gifted Comp tickets to ride RotR...and we did! 😀

8:00am - Husband secured boarding group 51 using an iphone Xr. My iphone 7 took FOREVER to load the app. I have no idea what BG I would have gotten, but I feel like it would have been a backup group even though I did everything "right".
FWIW, I got BG 41 for party of 2 on Saturday, 1/18, on an iPhone 6S on T-Mo. My husband's iPhone 8, on AT&T, stalled out with a comm error. We were located off Main Street near First Aid.

Yes, yes, yes! to all your notes on rebooting the phone, closing apps and turning off any thing "not needed." Pare down any unnecessary distractions for the poor phone and let it do its work!

How do you remove person from the app? i have my 3 family memebers E ticket scanned into my phone but only 2 of us will be going for a BG i dont want to waste a second having to unselect a person right at 8am. Is it possible to remove from the DL app then add back in after going for a BG?

If you're the ticket "owner" (person responsible for the tickets) you cannot delete them from the app but guest services can remove/make them able to be deleted. If you're not the "owner" you should have a delete ticket option in the My Tickets section of the DLR app. If all 3 people will be in the park it wouldn't hurt to just book a BG for all 3. If not you can scan the tickets for those who will be in the park onto a different Disneyland account.

ISomeone commented earlier they saw a guy scan 8 tickets in the machine in less than a minute and get BGs for all of them. So appears to be single, as the BG is tied to an activated ticket.
I wonder if were all the same bg as it seems so random. Maybe the machines have sequential bg's.

I just got home from a quick trip to DL and thought I'd share our experience with obtaining a a Boarding Group on Saturday, January 18.

- We checked into the DL hotel at about 5:30am and was told that the system doesn't "come up" until 6am so he couldn't attach a credit card to our room. He asked if it was ok if he wrote down our credit card # on a notepad so that he could add it to our room at 6am. We said ok and received our room keys.

- No line at security

- Got to esplanade at about 6:15 and we were about 15th in line for EMH. The line for regular entry was halfway between the monorail beam and CA adventure.

- Gates opened a little before 7am. Not sure if everyone was let in or just EMH/MM people, but I *think* it was everyone. EMH/MM people were being directed towards Fantasyland where cast members checked our room key. Not sure how they handled MM guests.

- At about 7:40am we joined about 150-200 people waiting to get into SWGE at the Fantasyland gate. A cast member was posted at the gate and asking everyone if they knew about the Boarding Group procedure. Speedtests on T-Mobile were clocking in around 30-40 mbps. Verizon hotspot was clocking in at about 4-6mbps. Disney Wifi was about the same as T-Mobile. Speeds are constantly changing so this info won't be valid at any other moment in time - the point is that you should keep checking your Internet speed.

- 7:55am-ish Cast members opened the gate and everyone walked over to MFSR. We continued to run speed tests as we walked. T-mobile was clocking in anywhere from 40-100mpbs right outside the entrance to MFSR. We got into the que but stopped just before entering the building, speed test still clocking in at just under 100mbps.

7:59:50am - People are counting down in unison . . . gotta love Disney fans!

8:00am - Husband secured boarding group 51 using an iphone Xr. My iphone 7 took FOREVER to load the app. I have no idea what BG I would have gotten, but I feel like it would have been a backup group even though I did everything "right".

Misc. Notes:

- The woman next to me had a LIGHTING fast phone. I'm pretty sure I clicked on my app before she did and hers loaded in a fraction of a second. I could see her clicking through the boarding group process as I stared at the Disney blue screen of death. She got Boarding Group 10. I didn't get a chance to ask her what model phone she was using, but judging from the large size and how thin it was I'm guessing it is a new or new-ish model.

- I think the time it takes for your phone to load the app is more important than how quickly you click. To better your odds, I would suggest shutting down and restarting your phone around 7:40am. Turn off anything running in the background and try to free up your phone processor as much as possible.

- There are apps that will show you where the cell phone towers are located. If you're getting really bad reception and speeds, it may help if you maneuver to an area that's covered by a different tower. I'm not sure if that's how the whole cell phone connectivity thing works, but I don't think it could hurt either.

- Cast members scanned bar codes for EVERY single person entering the ride and being VERY strict. Two cast members looked at our boarding passes before we could enter the que and a third castmember scanned our passes once we were in line. There was a group of 8-10 people in front of me and all but one had a boarding group. They were arguing with a cast member saying the woman person had a boarding group in the morning but it somehow disappeared from her phone. We took about 5 minutes to take pics, scan our boarding passes, etc. and the group was still arguing with the cast member when we entered the building. I have no idea what the end result was.

- I overheard A LOT of cast members explaining the BG throughout the day, and not just in GE.

- Overall, I felt the crowds were very light for a Saturday. The MaxPass system went down for about 30 minutes that morning, but we were able to secure FP+ for everything we wanted, including TSMM, Guardians, Indy, Thunder Mountain, etc. At about 8:30pm there were only about 10 people total at Pacific Wharf Cafe and absolutely no lines at the other eateries. The line for blue milk and green milk seemed to be 2-5 people deep whenever we walked by. We walked up to Main Street 10 minutes before Mix Magic began and got a great view. It was a wonderful contrast to our January 2019 trip to WDW during "slow" season!

- And finally, PRACTICE! Make sure your BG party is formed and you are all linked. People were scanning their ticket bar codes a few seconds after 8am and I was like :sad2:
We hit TSMM right after getting out BG and Pixar Pier was completely empty as the crowd was in CarsLand.

I have friends' annual passes in my account which I cannot delete. They said they need to call in to get removed from my account - their pass info controls which accounts they are linked to. Ugh!

Playing at home in the UK, I got several attempts at a BG today before getting the backup notice at about 45 seconds in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts