RIP Magical Express (in 2022) 😥

Plague

DIS Veteran
DFB reports ME to be discontinued from Jan 2022.
New train service expected (maybe) sometime in 2022.
Wot?

The train sounds good ... except - it will deposit you at (I think) Disney Springs and then you'll have to get another transport to your resort.

I just checked Lyft and it's about $40 one way from MCO. I don't know how much the train might be but I think I'd rather skip the changing, with luggage, and get a one-stop solution.
So with tips budget another $100 :(

The article I read suggested there will be done sort of bookable mini vans/ resort share . I expect they will not be free though 😭

Dropping off at Disney Springs could make Saratoga Springs a good bet especially with the refurb.

I get there are other options coming like the train and that mears can take you to the resort for a fee and lots of people use lyft/uber but really I have never been on a bus that wasn't packed full so people obviously use them. It was a perk for staying on site. What are you paying the extra premium for exactly?

I get there are other options coming like the train and that mears can take you to the resort for a fee and lots of people use lyft/uber but really I have never been on a bus that wasn't packed full so people obviously use them. It was a perk for staying on site. What are you paying the extra premium for exactly?

I really don't think there are many benefits left. No magic express, magic hours, free parking. I doubt we will stay onsite again now, prices have gone up so much and all the little benefits that helped justify the extra costs before have been removed.

Mears have indicated that they will still run a service. I'm thinking that they'll just continue as it is now from the bus bays at the far end of the ground floor of Terminal B, I assume Disney won't have any need for them. And you'll have to pay extra. I really like the idea of just checking in there and hopping on the next bus for a direct-to-hotel service, at 30-minute intervals, similarly when going back to the airport. Lyft etc is fine, but me being me I worry about being able to get one to go back on time (had experiences before with allocated drivers not showing up) and also phone reception at the airport.

I used Mears before Magical Express and will probably use again as travel solo often so its not economical for a lyft/uber but its just an extra expense and hassle of having to organise. With ME you didn't have to book a bus slot that was all sorted for you and if your flight was late arriving no issues.

I really don't think there are many benefits left. No magic express, magic hours, free parking. I doubt we will stay onsite again now, prices have gone up so much and all the little benefits that helped justify the extra costs before have been removed.

they're replacing extra magic hours with early entry at all the parks simultaneously.
I actually prefer that, since we usually schedule in opposition to the EMH park (that tend to get too crowded).

if Disney has a brain, and they demonstrate that they do every now and then, they'll tie a new perk to staying on property.
Personally, i would offer some sort of FP associated with your room like they do for the concierge rooms at DLP.

they're replacing extra magic hours with early entry at all the parks simultaneously.
I actually prefer that, since we usually schedule in opposition to the EMH park (that tend to get too crowded).

if Disney has a brain, and they demonstrate that they do every now and then, they'll tie a new perk to staying on property.
Personally, i would offer some sort of FP associated with your room like they do for the concierge rooms at DLP.

Yes I saw that, I don't feel like an extra half hour entry is much of an advantage though. I can see the benefit of it in all parks though as it will stop the masses all heading to the emh park. We really liked evening magic hours , they all seem to be replaced now with paid after hours events.

I think if free dining ever came back we could possibly justify another onsite trip.

Yes I saw that, I don't feel like an extra half hour entry is much of an advantage though. I can see the benefit of it in all parks though as it will stop the masses all heading to the emh park. We really liked evening magic hours , they all seem to be replaced now with paid after hours events.

I think if free dining ever came back we could possibly justify another onsite trip.
free dining with the UK package is a good deal.
at least for us.
though we won't be doing it anymore, since we bought DVC.
But it's definitely a nice option if they ever bring it back.

The article I read suggested there will be done sort of bookable mini vans/ resort share . I expect they will not be free though 😭
Mears have said they will continue the service, it just won't be free or Disney branded, it's too early to see how it will work out at moment I think

BrightlineTrains latest newsletter says they are hoping to start a revenue service on the new MCO to Tampa line in second half of 2023 at the earliest. That's a full 18 months after the DME is removed.

BrightlineTrains latest newsletter says they are hoping to start a revenue service on the new MCO to Tampa line in second half of 2023 at the earliest. That's a full 18 months after the DME is removed.
It's going to be interesting starting in January 2022.

Mears have indicated that they will still run a service. I'm thinking that they'll just continue as it is now from the bus bays at the far end of the ground floor of Terminal B, I assume Disney won't have any need for them. And you'll have to pay extra. I really like the idea of just checking in there and hopping on the next bus for a direct-to-hotel service, at 30-minute intervals, similarly when going back to the airport. Lyft etc is fine, but me being me I worry about being able to get one to go back on time (had experiences before with allocated drivers not showing up) and also phone reception at the airport.
I would hope that they do a service similar to the Disneyland Resort Express, which does cost $49 return. I'm not happy having to use a taxi service and I have emailed Jeff Vahle, but, just got a response reiterating the nonsensical reasoning behind this decision. If they bothered going on Disney messageboards they would see that people aren't happy. Perhaps we should all flood Disney with emails to let them know of our displeasure. It was clear from the reply they had not read my email fully, so just tell them that the DME is an essential service for many resort guests and they should keep it.

Mears have said they will continue the service, it just won't be free or Disney branded, it's too early to see how it will work out at moment I think
Oh god, I hope it's not like their Disney to Universal shuttle service. which is abysmal.

I would hope that they do a service similar to the Disneyland Resort Express, which does cost $49 return. I'm not happy having to use a taxi service and I have emailed Jeff Vahle, but, just got a response reiterating the nonsensical reasoning behind this decision. If they bothered going on Disney messageboards they would see that people aren't happy. Perhaps we should all flood Disney with emails to let them know of our displeasure. It was clear from the reply they had not read my email fully, so just tell them that the DME is an essential service for many resort guests and they should keep it.

The parks are hemorrhaging money. I'm sure it was a bottom line question for them.
Once we get back to normal (anyone with a crystal ball?), then they can add back perks like ME.

Mears currently run a 24/7 coach service between MCO and WDW just now, adult price is $39 return, child $30 return.

Mears currently run a 24/7 coach service between MCO and WDW just now, adult price is $39 return, child $30 return.
I've used it in the past, before I discovered the DME could be booked from the UK, I waited 90 minutes for a bus from MCO to WDW and the one back to the airport didn't even turn up at the booked time, luckily another one turned up in time to get me to the airport, but, others catching domestic flights decided to take taxis. That was about seven years ago, I would hope they've improved, but, I doubt it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter