***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

I'm a huge fan of Clearwater Marine Aquarium (home of Winter, the Dolphin) and just checked their website. It shows they are still closed due to cleanup necessities, but all animals and staff are safe. Like someone said earlier on this thread, Florida needs your money, so go and spend and have a great time!

By the way, I have LOVED reading this thread. It's inspiring to see all the helpfulness of everyone, and I am impressed at how well Disney handled things this go round. Glad you're all safe!

We love winter! No plans to go to the aquarium though, I just can't go without my kids. They love her. The hotel is about a mile from there. Its also a few blocks to pier 60 and is on Mandalay ave.

Anyone still there for the next few days ...

I rescheduled my trip from last weekend to this weekend. After trying over and over in the past week - there is suddenly a ton of FP for FoP in AK for at least the14th and 15th. I cannot see availlablity for today and the 13th. I think Disney must be catching up with processing all of the resort cancellations (or rescheduling) and that in turn is forcing FP to be automatically cancelled?

The weekend FP were quickly grabbed.

Not about Disney - but anyone traveling I75 & I10 today or anyone east and south of Destin could you report on the gas situation? My daughter is supposed to drive to Tampa tomorrow and I want to update her on the gas problems. Thanks

Goofy and that little boy actually make me tear up! God bless those cast members; I'm sure they made a possibly scary situation so much easier for both the kids and parents.

Honestly. Can you imagine being a frightened little kid and all of a sudden there's Goofy to comfort you? It must have meant the world to them-and their parents. It's what Disney does best- providing that bit of magic when you least expect it

Which way do you go? I see several stations showing gas availability on gas buddy going up toward Pensacola taking I75. and then near Tallahassee there a few. We are planning to go down tomorrow but I am getting a little more concerned about gas on 95 in SC and Ga.
I now see a few stations in Tallahassee, but don't want to get stuck in long lines. We go up 75 to I10 and then east to New Orleans.

Not about Disney - but anyone traveling I75 & I10 today or anyone east and south of Destin could you report on the gas situation? My daughter is supposed to drive to Tampa tomorrow and I want to update her on the gas problems. Thanks
There's an app called GasBuddy that lets you check for places where there are shortages & also reports prices. If you don't get any replies maybe she can use that too? I've been checking it for our (hopeful) drive down on Friday. Good luck to her!

I now see a few stations in Tallahassee, but don't want to get stuck in long lines. We go up 75 to I10 and then east to New Orleans.
With so few stations with power AND fuel that may be difficult. The further north you can go the better your choices are going to be. You are at least, going the opposite direction than the folks coming home. Won't help when it comes to fuel, you'll all be vying for the same fuel but at least you should be moving against the masses on the roads.

There's an app called GasBuddy that lets you check for places where there are shortages & also reports prices. If you don't get any replies maybe she can use that too? I've been checking it for our (hopeful) drive down on Friday. Good luck to her!

Yeah, we have the app but it relies on people reporting(maybe gas station owners will report) so was hoping to get some real time info from DISers on those route. Thanks for the help though and good luck to you too!

"Live lurker" through all 48 pages of this post and popping on to say congrats to all the "ride out" guests and amazing cast!

I live in Indiana, but have very specific (for into the future) retirement plans to central FL. Based on what I know from Disney Institute and regular book/journal articles related to Disney's structures (concrete & steel) as well as their commitment to safety and service, I have long considered my personal plan in a disaster would be to evacuate to WDW. My colleagues mocked me. Until this week.

As I watched, everything was mostly what I would expect and hope - communication about curfews, food options, activities, supplies for the room, etc. Then the topper was accepting the pets! Just WOW! I feel vindicated in my plan, something that's set in stone for the future! One of my former students who lives in DT Orlando escaped with her 2 cats all the way to New Orleans. All I can think is, "You didn't need to go that far!" I would have been one of those people wanting to help them clean up "my happy place".

We arrive in 18 days for 2 quick nights at BWV/F&WF and then a 4 night DCL. I feel like I just want to walk around applauding everyone! Kudos to all and thanks for all the live reports! Best wishes to all for a safe and smooth return home.

Really wish I would have just flown in Friday as scheduled , gut told me it would be ok but people got in my head and scared me into canceling part of reservation. Got to go with your gut... :smickey:

I did the same thing. Was scheduled to fly in Friday 9/8 and leave Sat 9/16. I also cancelled. I knew I would get in and get out it was the in between I was worried about. I look at it this way I would have been totally stressed on Friday and Saturday constantly watching weather updates. Stuck in room Sunday and Monday. So basically 1/2 of my vacation was stress filled, not to count the stress of the days before I actually cancelled. I lost out on free dining but was able to reschedule my trip for 6 days in October. So that took some of the sting out of my decision.

So Disney was hit with 90-100 mph winds during the worst of it?
Based on the data that has come out about the Orlando area, yes
Not sure if Disney has any weather recording equipment to have recorded wind speeds on property or not. But in the Orlando area, yes

Based on the data that has come out about the Orlando area, yes
Not sure if Disney has any weather recording equipment to have recorded wind speeds on property or not. But in the Orlando area, yes
Well I am very impressed then with the Disney resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter