***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

My wife and I are going to be riding Irma out at Coronado. We have extra water and sodas, a few extra sandwiches, (our fridge is full!) and we used the last of our snack credits on trail mixes, should be in good shape. The cast members here have been exceptional in giving us information. They will be doing good deliveries when possible and will have el centro open with games/activities and food. We are way out in Casitas 5, near the Ranchos, so will probably just stay in the room.

We're supposed to fly out today but Virgin America canceled the flight Thursday night and rebooked us for Wednesday. Disney extended our stay for a very reasonable price that I will later claim on the travel insurance I had the forethought to purchase. They even bumped up our park hopper tickets so we can go to the parks on Tuesday.

Overall, we feel secure but still unnerved. Being from the SF Bay, we are used to earthquakes not hurricanes.
Sounds like you are well prepared! My prayers are with all of you in Florida. My son-in-law's family lives in San Juan Puerto Rico and and we've received word they fared well. You will too!

Sounds like you are well prepared! My prayers are with all of you in Florida. My son-in-law's family lives in San Juan Puerto Rico and and we've received word they fared well. You will too!
Thank you! I always try to be prepared, at home I keep several days worth of water and freeze dried food in the car as a just in case.

We hope that everyone stays safe! Glad to hear your family fared well in Puerto Rico.

Polynesian is business as usual right now. They have taken in the pool lounge chairs and stacked them away. But you can still go to the pools and use the regular chairs. Captain cooks has no line. They ran out of kids turkey sandwiches but made a substitute sandwich. Stores completely stocked. Only thing can't figure out is - they say enjoy complimentary Disney movies on tv - I can't find where they are on the tv.

be sure to put a towel in front of the door. We stayed at SSR during a bad thunderstorm once and the hallway flooded and it came under the door a little.

Thanks for the towel tip. I probably would not have thought of that.

Another land heard from - we are sticking it out at Pop. One party member flew home last night (and even that was fraught with tension - delays and standby to not miss a connection etc.) We were worried that if we all snagged seats one by one that we'd end up mostly - but not all - getting out. We opted to ride it out as a group.

We're Pop, building one, third floor - so close to classic hall. I have a cousin in school locally who will be joining us. We have tons of food and water - I wanted no part of the boxed lunches after reading the drama in the Matthew thread last year. I attached the notice that was under our door - talks about scheduled meal times etc. We ate lunch at MK & will use the last of our DDP before we head back to the resort in a couple of hours for the duration.

We are scheduled to fly out Tues late afternoon. Fingers and toes crossed that we make it.

For those at the Poly - are there people staying in the Bungalows? We stayed for 2 nights (I had points that were going to expire). It was fabulous, but I don't think I'd feel safe there in a hurricane. They evacuated Treehouse Villas.

Star Wars stage has been taken down at HS. All of the construction facing has been taken down and the center pond area in front of Indy has been drained.

At the contemporary and this was left for us about operations. The patio furtinure is already in our room.
2ouWZFt_d.jpg

Anyone what they will do with all of the animals out on the savannah at Kilamajaro Safari? I was thinking about them when I woke up this morning.

I saw others answered your question about the safari animals but I learned about the Animal Kingdom Lodge animals a few years ago so I thought I would share. As part of Animal Kingdom's zoo accreditation, all animals are required to have a named shelter location for hurricanes. Some of the hurricane pens are built into the ground floor of Animal Kingdom Lodge as Disney couldn't have hotel rooms at ground level. I did a behind the scenes tour of the lodge where we went out on the grounds and the guide pointed out the entrances and covered their storm procedures for the animals. As you would expect from Disney World, there are well documented and practiced plans for getting every animal to their emergency location.

Does anyone plan to live stream or know of any live streams from anyone at the resorts during the storm?

Please dont attempt to film out the windows during the storm. Stay away from the windows. This is a serious storm with serious winds.

Also not the best idea to expend power that way. Odds are it will be ok, but it is still safer than sorry and having fully charged electronics makes a significant difference should power loss and/or emergency situations occur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter