Resort Change by Disney

I have a July 1-8 room only reservation at CBR for what was supposed to be a solo trip. My husband is considering going if we receive a nice upgrade and I have a few questions.

Has anyone been able to shorten their stay and still keep the free upgrade? Seven nights with no parks would be a bit long. We’re not interested in paying for an upgrade.

I received the email notification and confirmed that we were still coming. Will Disney contact me or do I have to call?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a July 1-7 room only reservation at CBR for what was supposed to be a solo trip. My husband is considering going if we receive a nice upgrade and I have a few questions.

Has anyone been able to shorten their stay and still keep the free upgrade? Seven nights with no parks would be a bit long. We’re not interested in paying for an upgrade.

I received the email notification and confirmed that we were still coming. Will Disney contact me or do I have to call?

Thanks!

Based on what we have been seeing here you should probably call.

We had two poly rooms (club level) and where offered bay lake towers one bedroom
I find it interesting that they didn't offer you 2 Poly DVC rooms... And refund the CL portion.

Did you take it? I would imagine the room rate might even be less than Poly, maybe.

Reading all these posts this morning, I'm thinking our August BC trip is canceled and likely our December YC. I refuse to stay at either if SAB is closed and the Poly was my resort of choice if SAB closed.

The ONLY reason we are even considering August is we are Platinum out of state AP holders. Hard to swallow thousands in park tickets with limited trips and remainder canceled.

Plus, two trips already canceled where Disney only offered us rack rate. Honestly, leaves a bad impression of Disney. I was shocked with no offer of anything except rack rate. Reading all the changes and upgrades here is great, but honestly, I will be livid if I don't get a deal on the room now when others are getting 35% off/keeping their discounts and upgrades. It doesn't seem fair to us that we have to pay rack rate and were impacted by covid closures and limited hotels once opened again.

Could I hold two room only reservations for same exact dates, but different resorts? With all this mess I’m still undecided if I want to pay to move my dates to a dvc villa of my choice or have Disney decide what resort they want to put me in.

I have had 3 room reservations in my name at one time for the same dates. Two were even at the same resort - 1 a club level & 1 a regular room. The other was a club level at a different resort. I was the lead on all 3 & my DH was the guest. I was even contacted by club level signature services for both club reservations (not in the same call tho). No issues what so ever.

I have had 3 room reservations in my name at one time for the same dates. Two were even at the same resort - 1 a club level & 1 a regular room. The other was a club level at a different resort. I was the lead on all 3 & my DH was the guest. I was even contacted by club level signature services for both club reservations (not in the same call tho). No issues what so ever.
I was wondering this as well. Thank you for sharing 🙂.

Yes, they did. Both times. one was a April bounce back offer and the other was a June pass holder offer. Both times I was not even offered the free dining offer but rather move to dates I want and pay rack rate. The bounce back was the kicker since I could move and keep my discount, but very limited availability the remainder of the year and the dates are all after our AP expire.

Did you take it? I would imagine the room rate might even be less than Poly, maybe.

Reading all these posts this morning, I'm thinking our August BC trip is canceled and likely our December YC. I refuse to stay at either if SAB is closed and the Poly was my resort of choice if SAB closed.

The ONLY reason we are even considering August is we are Platinum out of state AP holders. Hard to swallow thousands in park tickets with limited trips and remainder canceled.

Plus, two trips already canceled where Disney only offered us rack rate. Honestly, leaves a bad impression of Disney. I was shocked with no offer of anything except rack rate. Reading all the changes and upgrades here is great, but honestly, I will be livid if I don't get a deal on the room now when others are getting 35% off/keeping their discounts and upgrades. It doesn't seem fair to us that we have to pay rack rate and were impacted by covid closures and limited hotels once opened again.
If they expect you to pay rack rates I will tell them like it is. Tell them other have gotten 35% off and free upgrades. Let them know you expect one of those deals!

We had two club rooms booked at the poly. One of the rooms said ok to the bay lake one bedroom (technically that is a fair trade) We on the other hand choose not to accept and are waiting to see next week if we can switch it to September. We have a DVC poly room booked with our points anyways for July 3-6 so we just want to stay at the poly. I did ask if our club could be switched for something at the poly and they said no, the other room that accepted the one bedroom was not given any of their money back but we did have a discount on the club already so that was fine with them.

What happened to the 35% discount? Did they just say “Oh well, Sorry”
Any date changes are being reported as a no...it is considered a modification. Certainly call to see...Worst case...it doesn’t work for you

BUT, the date changes were due to the COVID closures, when others were sometimes being offered the free dining. That's why upset. I am not changing/canceling our future dates yet.

Any date changes are being reported as a no...it is considered a modification. Certainly call to see...Worst case...it doesn’t work for you
That’s how we’re looking at this. I was going to cancel outright but we would enjoy staying DVC, making a few day trips and visiting Disney Springs. I don’t know if going is even worth 2 + hours waiting on the phone so I’m obviously not all that set on it. DH really isn’t a huge Disney fan but he does like a nice pool.

Yes, they did. Both times. one was a April bounce back offer and the other was a June pass holder offer. Both times I was not even offered the free dining offer but rather move to dates I want and pay rack rate. The bounce back was the kicker since I could move and keep my discount, but very limited availability the remainder of the year and the dates are all after our AP expire.
Good to know, I'll be attempting to move a bounce back I have. Im really kicking myself for not hoping on the phone when they made the announcement, instead I booked a separate reservation online.

BUT, the date changes were due to the COVID closures, when others were sometimes being offered the free dining. That's why upset. I am not changing/canceling our future dates yet.

IRight now, guests arriving before the opening of the resort can cancel, modify, or keep it intact.

Any date changes are a modification and the current rules are the trip gets rebooked for dates July 11th To end of year and at rack rate...or, at discounted rate if one has a current discount that applies.

However, guests who come for the original reservation time June 22nd to July 4th, are being offered to be moved to an open resort for no additional charge, as long as dates stay the same,

One doesn’t have to agree, but to qualify for the move to DVC or Ft Wilderness before parks it’s being reported they will not allow any changes to the reservstion.

If going for 7 days is what is required to get moved for no additional fee doesn’t work, then you either cancel or move dates to a later time.

Just to clear up confusion for many:

-If you keep your original dates and take the resort Disney moves you to, you aren't responsible for paying the difference in $
-If you keep your original dates and you decide to change resorts from the one Disney offers, you will pay the difference in $ (some are saying CMs not allowing you to do this option so maybe take this one with a grain of salt)
-If you decide to change your dates, you will pay the difference and must choose one of the resorts that has current reopening plans
-35% off discount is only for people who lost free dining, it is a recovery offer since free dining isn't an option anymore. People who had paid for dining plans are just getting refunded for those dining plans.

ETA:
Also, note that in the first day or two of this a lot of CMs were learning along with all of us, so if calling just be clear whether you're looking for the complimentary upgrade for your same dates, or looking to change dates. Also, some people who reported getting moved from CBR to Poly or other big upgrades like this *likely* are people who paid for those changes and just didn't think to specify that. I think they've tried to keep resort changes pretty consistent to avoid making people upset (though I know room-wise placements have been all over the place).

Last edited:
We had two club rooms booked at the poly. One of the rooms said ok to the bay lake one bedroom (technically that is a fair trade) We on the other hand choose not to accept and are waiting to see next week if we can switch it to September. We have a DVC poly room booked with our points anyways for July 3-6 so we just want to stay at the poly. I did ask if our club could be switched for something at the poly and they said no, the other room that accepted the one bedroom was not given any of their money back but we did have a discount on the club already so that was fine with them.
Okay. That makes sense then. I just couldn’t wrap my brain around 2 Poly hotel rooms being relocated to a 1BR anywhere. Thanks for clarifying.

I've called three times. The first two were earlier in the closure while the last one was this past Saturday. Saturday, I had a lengthy discussion with an agent that seemed to be on top of things. She referred me to guest services. If I had called during the free dining and modified to that, she told me numerous options. I presented the argument that I called outside the free dining offer and others getting 35% and date flexibility. Nothing. She sympathized and said Disney had no offers for me other than rack rate.

Contact guest services and let them know you're unhappy. She was nice and answered all our questions about offers, AP, park admission etc.

I've called three times. The first two were earlier in the closure while the last one was this past Saturday. Saturday, I had a lengthy discussion with an agent that seemed to be on top of things. She referred me to guest services. If I had called during the free dining and modified to that, she told me numerous options. I presented the argument that I called outside the free dining offer and others getting 35% and date flexibility. Nothing. She sympathized and said Disney had no offers for me other than rack rate.

Contact guest services and let them know you're unhappy. She was nice and answered all our questions about offers, AP, park admission etc.
When are your dates of travel?

We’re booked at Pop for July 5. Obviously not going, but haven’t done anything yet. We had a backup booked for July 28. When they contact me, can I just move the funds I paid for the July 5 to the July 28 trip? I couldn’t before because they considered it modifying 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t want to wait for the while thing to be refunded in gift cards just to send them back. Hopefully we’ll get to go. Although Pop is looking less likely

Yes, I just did this last week when they started allowing modifications for those with trips in the June 5 - June 21 date range. I moved my June funds to my July trip.

Just to clear up confusion for many:

-If you keep your original dates and take the resort Disney moves you to, you aren't responsible for paying the difference in $
-If you keep your original dates and you decide to change resorts from the one Disney offers, you will pay the difference in $
-If you decide to change your dates, you will pay the difference and must choose one of the resorts that has current reopening plans
-35% off discount is only for people who lost free dining, it is a recovery offer since free dining isn't an option anymore. People who had paid for dining plans are just getting refunded for those dining plans.

ETA:
Also, note that in the first day or two of this a lot of CMs were learning along with all of us, so if calling just be clear whether you're looking for the complimentary upgrade for your same dates, or looking to change dates. Also, some people who reported getting moved from CBR to Poly or other big upgrades like this *likely* are people who paid for those changes and just didn't think to specify that. I think they've tried to keep resort changes pretty consistent to avoid making people upset (though I know room-wise placements have been all over the place).

That's not an option. Options for June 22 - July 5 currently are 1) canceling, 2) modifying to different dates, 3) keeping the same dates but agreeing to change to the one and only resort WDW offers you. You cannot keep the same dates and pick your own resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter