Resale member kit?

stewart715

DIS Veteran
Just closed on my first resale contract (been a direct member for some time now). Just curious what I should expect to receive from Disney in the mail, if anything?

When we bought resale for the first time in 2017, we received a small package in the mail with a welcome note and two car magnets. I believe I received a letter later with member number, but I had already call MS and gotten my account set up over the phone to access the reservation tool... so that wasn't as important to me.

Just closed on my first resale contract (been a direct member for some time now). Just curious what I should expect to receive from Disney in the mail, if anything?

I believe you will simply receive a letter with your membership information. If I was Disney I would be sending you marketing material welcoming you to DVC and I would have a guide call you. Most likely the person that bought resale will buy resale again. If I was Disney I would try my best to get you to buy more points from Disney.

You'll get a (very short) letter saying your new contract is added to your membership.

When we bought resale for the first time in 2017, we received a small package in the mail with a welcome note and two car magnets. I believe I received a letter later with member number, but I had already call MS and gotten my account set up over the phone to access the reservation tool... so that wasn't as important to me.
This was what we got last year when we purchased boardwalk resale-the letter and 2 magnets. Doesn't seem like this is very consistent though. This year we purchased Saratoga direct and received the backpack along with all the other materials.

I bought earlier this year and got a very short letter with my member number which I already had from logging onto the site. I was already a member, but this was a new use year for me. When i bought in 2017, I believe I did get another magnet in the mail.

I closed on Valentine's Day earlier this year. My first DVC contract, so a brand new member. About 3 weeks later, I got a letter in the mail with my member number and that's it. Nothing else.

Gene

I got a letter in the mail with my member number and that's it. Nothing else.

Gene

I'm sorry you didn't even receive magnets. Though, I suspect that's because, like the recent restrictions, they're trying to discourage resale.

But you still win, because you've saved thousands of $$$, and can go buy one yourself for $12.99.

I closed on Valentine's Day earlier this year. My first DVC contract, so a brand new member. About 3 weeks later, I got a letter in the mail with my member number and that's it. Nothing else.

Gene
I'm sorry you didn't even receive magnets. Though, I suspect that's because, like the recent restrictions, they're trying to discourage resale.

But you still win, because you've saved thousands of $$$, and can go buy one yourself for $12.99.
Same here. It seemed like the letter was really written for existing members adding on (no club ID or other info mentioned, which is needed to set up a new account). A shiny welcome brochure would have been nice. All of the CMs I’ve talked to over the phone have been very welcoming and friendly though.

I took the $12K I saved and bought a $10 luggage tag. Guess I’m still ahead.

Oh, for sure! I wasn't looking for any freebies. What surprised me was that Disney is all about the "magic," and there was nothing at all to even say welcome to DVC. I got more of a fanfare staying one night at the Pop Century last year!

That said, I will be looking for a cheap 75-point add-on sometime in the future. What can I expect and ask for? Is it better to do it in person when I'm at Disney? I know the mileage will vary, but when I have a good hand, I'd like to go all in to see if I can take the house! :)

Yes, it was totally underwhelming. A simple letter with black ink on white printer paper with a member number and the phone number for member services. It was one of the least informative and welcoming welcome letters I have seen. Not quite what I was expecting from Disney or for a purchase at this price point.
They wasted no time in sending a full color brochure advertising Riveria, though. Lol

Is it better to do it in person when I'm at Disney?

I thought the same thing a couple years ago when I was buying my add-on. I was scheduled to be visiting WDW so figured that would be easier. It was recommended on these boards to just call in/chat.

I did the latter; I just used the chat function to ask about availability of points; I was transferred to a Guide (all within the same chat box), and next thing you know he asks which number to call me at so we can seal the deal. 10 minutes later my add on was purchased (note: this was a 25 pt add on so all on a credit card).

Just a plain jane letter that makes you think you got rejected from your first choice school! Kinda weird they wouldn’t even tell you how to use the points so you don’t mess anything up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter