Resale member benefits question

One thing that really makes we think less of Disney is their lack of official information on anything negative. My guess is that they want to implement the restriction but not receive the negative PR. New resale buyers will know for sure when the try to get their member ID and are told no.

:earsboy: Bill
You are exactly right! They want to scare off resale buyers but don't want the negative PR- The management at DVC right now is horrendous!

Hi
We are going to AKL as regular visitors at the end of August (due to free dining). We now have our DVC purchase finalized and we have our paper membership cards and number! We also have our home resort of Boardwalk booked for April 2017 (yay)! We understand we have to use the first day of our ticket (included in our regular person package in August) and then can upgrade to the annual pass gold florida rate showing our DVC membership card. Does anyone know if I can do the upgrade at the AKL after our first day in the parks. I don't have MK scheduled until day 4 so I prefer to do it right away rather than go to the Transportation and ticket center on day 4. I want to get our photopass set up on day 1 through our annual pass. THANKS!!

We understand we have to use the first day of our ticket (included in our regular person package in August) and then can upgrade to the annual pass gold florida rate showing our DVC membership card. Does anyone know if I can do the upgrade at the AKL after our first day in the parks. I don't have MK scheduled until day 4 so I prefer to do it right away rather than go to the Transportation and ticket center on day 4. I want to get our photopass set up on day 1 through our annual pass. THANKS!!
The resorts are unable to do any transaction related to annual passes. You will need to go to either a Park Ticket Window or Guest Relations Location. Guest Relations can be found at all theme parks (inside & outside of the park), water parks, TTC & Disney Springs.

According to a ticketing CM that posts on the Theme Park Attraction & Strategies board, you don't need to use ticket before upgrading in order to get the correct credit during the transaction.

I am also in the group told we are grandfathered in (submitted for ROFR 3/13 passed 4/6 recorded 5/9) but that had the new language in the deed. Now waiting to see if we will get membership cards. I wonder how to wait before calling, we requested them on 5/21.

Our membership cards came today so it looks like the grandfathering still applied even with the new language in the deed.

Our membership cards came today so it looks like the grandfathering still applied even with the new language in the deed.

At Disney World now, Was Grandfathered in, (contract sent March 27) and using temporary digital membership card on my phone with no problems anywhere and access to all benefits, even lounge at Epcot.

At Disney World now, Was Grandfathered in, (contract sent March 27) and using temporary digital membership card on my phone with no problems anywhere and access to all benefits, even lounge at Epcot.
WOW! That is awesome! Great to hear! I have points grandfathered in but it is nice to hear this for all of the other folks who bought after. Although, we should all be hush hush, we don't want Disney figuring it out and changing it o_O

WOW! That is awesome! Great to hear! I have points grandfathered in but it is nice to hear this for all of the other folks who bought after. Although, we should all be hush hush, we don't want Disney figuring it out and changing it o_O

Any contracts sent to ROFR prior to April 4th were to be grandfathered so no worries about being hush hush. Since theirs was sent late March they received the card as they should have. :goodvibes

Any contracts sent to ROFR prior to April 4th were to be grandfathered so no worries about being hush hush. Since theirs was sent late March they received the card as they should have. :goodvibes
True... Just thinking others may be able to show their card too ( after the cut off date) and still have access :-)

Does anyone think that with all the members buying resale and being discriminated by not giving them the same benefits as all other members prior to April 2016. Would it be cause for a class action law suite? I understand that it is a benefit and it can be taken away at anytime. But, it should be an equal benefit. Does it seem fair to an individual that purchased April 4th, 2016, than and individual that purchased April 5th. 2016. If you ask me I think a class action suite is in order!

And I know what some people are going to say "Well you knew you weren't going to get the incidentals benefits when you purchased" Yes I know! But it's the matter of principal! Plus we are not supposed to be living in an age of segregation. A membership is a membership no matter what! We all have ownership rights and soon more will be without benefits than those with the benefits. If their are any attorneys out there listening???

Does anyone think that with all the members buying resale and being discriminated by not giving them the same benefits as all other members prior to April 2016. Would it be cause for a class action law suite? I understand that it is a benefit and it can be taken away at anytime. But, it should be an equal benefit. Does it seem fair to an individual that purchased April 4th, 2016, than and individual that purchased April 5th. 2016. If you ask me I think a class action suite is in order!

And I know what some people are going to say "Well you knew you weren't going to get the incidentals benefits when you purchased" Yes I know! But it's the matter of principal! Plus we are not supposed to be living in an age of segregation. A membership is a membership no matter what! We all have ownership rights and soon more will be without benefits than those with the benefits. If their are any attorneys out there listening???

I highly doubt it would be cause for a class action suit. DVD (which is the entity that sells DVC) offers the perks (or membership magic as they like to call it) to their customers and grandfathered in those who owned prior to the change (4/4/16). They are not paid for by our dues but rather by DVD (or discounts they simply negotiated). Though resale buyers may not like it I can't see how it would be any type of legal grounds to sue. They are not discriminating based on any protected class (age, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, etc) nor did they ever promise those benefits to you if you bought resale after 4/4/16. I think the fact that they grandfathered current owners in has no bearing on new owners. They set a date that after which required direct purchase to qualify and I'm sure their legal departments are well aware of what they legally can do to drive direct sales.

You can take comfort though in knowing you saved a boatload of money by buying resale though

Not at all. It's consistent with the timeshare industry standards and they are providing all the contractual benefits. In addition, the POS specifically states that certain type of items cannot be guaranteed.

Wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The perks are fully funded by Disney Vacation Development, the timeshare sales arm. Member dues are not charged, so members cannot claim harm. Here are a couple examples of similar arrangements:

- Individual buys a car and the Ford dealership agrees to provide free oil changes for life. They are under no obligation to provide free oil changes to every Ford vehicle, including those purchased elsewhere.
- iPad bought at an Apple Store includes offer for free cover. Apple does not have to provide free covers for iPads sold at Target or Best Buy.

The perks are basically loyalty incentives from Disney Vacation Development--the sales entity--not Disney Vacation Club--the timeshare management entity. They are a "thank you" for buying direct.

Wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The perks are fully funded by Disney Vacation Development, the timeshare sales arm. Member dues are not charged, so members cannot claim harm. Here are a couple examples of similar arrangements:

- Individual buys a car and the Ford dealership agrees to provide free oil changes for life. They are under no obligation to provide free oil changes to every Ford vehicle, including those purchased elsewhere.
- iPad bought at an Apple Store includes offer for free cover. Apple does not have to provide free covers for iPads sold at Target or Best Buy.

The perks are basically loyalty incentives from Disney Vacation Development--the sales entity--not Disney Vacation Club--the timeshare management entity. They are a "thank you" for buying direct.

I don't see it as the same thing. First you are giving examples of physical objects. I am talking about a lease of a membership that is set to last until a specific date. If you buy a lease and take over payments, you would expect the oil changes to continue if they are part of the original agreement. Same with the original DVC contracts. If it states in the original condo docs that membership cannot be downgraded due to the risk of depreciating values. Then we have ground to stand on. This was in another post.

DVD may wan't to boost their sales but at the same time, I see it as liquidating all future resales. If you ever plan to sell, your points wont be worth much. As far as the discounts they don't even mean much because as an AP holder discounts are better, but the fact that you cannot enjoy a space made for members (like DVC Members Lounge at Epcot) and being a member really bothers me. If I am a DVC Member and I want to purchase a Cruise on DVC Night I should be entitled to do so. I am a DVC Member my points may not get me in but also being a member I can't go on the cruise for members? Does that make any sense?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter