rental car heads up!

Try renting a car from a local person through the Turo app. You could probably get a car for way cheaper and help a local person to make some money in these tough times too. It is a great way to rent!

I would advise against using Turo. Someone here on the boards said the person they rented with cancelled their reservation stating that the owner of the car felt it was underpriced. My in-laws also booked with Turo and are arriving Thursday. The owner of that car also cancelled because they felt they could get a higher rate. Luckily they are staying in Waikiki so they don't really need a rental for what they wanted to do. However, they are worried about their Maui Turo rental this weekend.

We have USAA insurance (the best if you can get it, thank you Mom and Dad for being Veterans!) We got our car rental through them for mid-July in Oahu full-size, 6 days for $250.:yay:

Try renting a car from a local person through the Turo app. You could probably get a car for way cheaper and help a local person to make some money in these tough times too. It is a great way to rent!
Perhaps, however, this is a risk. Just scroll up, about 5 posts before your own. Someone had a reserved booking through the Turo app, and the owner suddenly cancelled it once he realized he could get more money.

We have USAA insurance (the best if you can get it, thank you Mom and Dad for being Veterans!) We got our car rental through them for mid-July in Oahu full-size, 6 days for $250.:yay:
Very much agreed! Apparently car rental prices are up everywhere! I booked through USAA and my rental is half of the cheapest I could find without going through the insurance company!

I made a reservation last week for our trip in May, because I saw prices skyrocketing. Luckily got in for $273 for the week.
Wow how in the world did you get that low of a rate? I have tried everything and it is outrageous for November!

Last edited:

Wow joe in the world did you get that low of a rate? I have tried everything and it is outrageous for November!

If the person you quoted did what we did, as soon as we booked our trip I reserved our rental car. This was before everyone knew there was going to be a "I need to win the lottery so I can get a rental car" game.

We booked about 3 weeks ago for 2 weeks (end of May beginning of June). I had a special discount which got us to around $500 total for the 2 weeks but looking at AAA, Costco, etc. before using my discount, everything was over $1500. It's crazy.
Who did you end up renting through? I am struggling for November!

If the person you quoted did what we did, as soon as we booked our trip I reserved our rental car. This was before everyone knew there was going to be a "I need to win the lottery so I can get a rental car" game.
Yes we just booked our trip since we are DVC and couldn’t book sooner and I tried booking a rental car for November and it is outrageous

Has anyone tried (currently or in the past) booking a car through Costco? I just got a membership a few months ago and haven't been able to check out the travel perks of the membership. Costco always has a reputation for getting things cheaper and I wonder if that's the case with car rentals, or if it's just best to book directly with the companies.

Has anyone tried (currently or in the past) booking a car through Costco? I just got a membership a few months ago and haven't been able to check out the travel perks of the membership. Costco always has a reputation for getting things cheaper and I wonder if that's the case with car rentals, or if it's just best to book directly with the companies.

I always book rental cars through Costco Travel. I’m not sure how much better the rate is, but like they have all of the companies right there to shop rates. In the past, I will check rates and rebook if the rate drops. But that’s not happening in the current situation we are in. I booked a mid-size SUV for a week in July for $550 and it is now at $1200.

I booked a car for my trip in August on Avis last week and the website showed plenty of availability. The next day, I logged on to try and rebook with prepayment, and all the inventory was gone. I hope they will honor the reservation.

I booked a car for my trip in August on Avis last week and the website showed plenty of availability. The next day, I logged on to try and rebook with prepayment, and all the inventory was gone. I hope they will honor the reservation.
I’ve never been screwed by Avis, so hopefully you’re good. (Now, Budget on the other hand......)

We had a rental from Hertz, Kia Optima, for an entire week. Total was below $400.00. Our first rental was from Thrifty, smaller compact at $350.00. But we found out that Thrifty did not have an office at HNL so we switched it to Hertz. The lady in line in front of me paid almost 3 times as much for her rental.

Wow how in the world did you get that low of a rate? I have tried everything and it is outrageous for November!

I booked through an Enterprise location that is a mile from the airport and found that weekly rate. I booked about 7 weeks out from our trip which starts this Friday.

Rental cars are available thru Costco again. I just checked our dates and canceled a mid-size car with Budget and booked with Alamo so that both of our rentals are with Alamo and it was actually $300 cheaper than when I booked in April so I am happy.

Rental cars are available thru Costco again. I just checked our dates and canceled a mid-size car with Budget and booked with Alamo so that both of our rentals are with Alamo and it was actually $300 cheaper than when I booked in April so I am happy.

Great news, thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter