Refillable Mugs in 2000

To me it's very simple....when I bought our mugs at DxL back in '99, we were told, at the cash register, that we could continue bringing our mugs back to DxL every time we visited. Cool. But, when we returned in '01 (and no, we didn't bring back our mugs) it was POR, new designs on the mugs, and signage up stating mugs were good at the resort where they were purchased, for the stay they were bought in.
I have bought new mugs every trip...okay, I did bring my POP mug back with me two weeks ago, but I did buy two new ones for dh and dd.
I just don't get this whole argument. The rules are stated now...on the mug itself, and in the food court where you buy them. Simple enough. For $13 a mug, I just can't seem to get in a tizzy over buying a new one each trip. Much better use of my money that more stupid hats I'll never wear again!!!
So bottom line.....buy a new mug. If you feel you are going to be severely impacted, financially, by having to buy a new mug and so reuse yours from previous visits..knock yourself out. But, at least use WDW mugs at the fountains. The issue I have are those who use non-Disney mugs/cups...that should be addressed.
This is an 'argument' that is never going to be resolved on these boards. You have to do what you feel is right, for you. I can't be bothered worrying about it. If I see someone using a 7-11 Big Gulp thingie at POP, then I'm just going to roll my eyes and move on. As I said in another post..I did notice this happening, the woman was right next to me..I said, "Wow, I didn't know we could use those cups here...cool. I thought we had to buy these special mugs here!!!!" and moved on. The woman was beet red and hustled away. She knew she was wrong and was banking on no one saying anything. Am I the 'mug police'? No, of course not. But, I'm sorry...if someone is doing that, right next to me, I am not going to miss a chance to mention it, in a non-confrontational way. I think I was nice, polite, even somewhat humerous.

Take a DEEEEP breath and repeat after me... "It's only soda, it's only soda"

There now. Feel better?

When we were at Pop last weekend, I noticed many (not all) refillers using a variety of mugs to fill their drinks. The CMS who were attending the drinks stations paid no attention and were clearly not there to police mug use, but rather maintain the area.

Not sharing what's right or wrong, just what I observed. Oh, and kicking myself that I didn't bring our mugs from Wilderness Lodge... ;)

DaisyD said:
We were at CBR in 2000 and it was not good forever. At the Poly in 2001 and it was not good forever then either. Doesn't matter anyway. After a few drinks it more then pays for itself. I just buy new mugs each trip.

We were at POFQ in 2000 - mugs were only good for length of stay back then.

kcashner said:
It definitely was a one stay policy in 1995. I really can't address 2000 specifically.

At CBR in 1996, 1997 and 1999, it was a one stay policy as well.

3.jpg

Here's a pic from Beach club, 1998 or 1999. Cup wrapped in plastic, had a gold sticker, good for life, or something like that............

No, can't see the sticker. In the thousands of pics I have, that's the best I found. With all the monotonous pics I take (I've got pics of toilets in WDW...), I'm really surprised I didn't take a pic of the gold label.

O.K. .....Bomb Droped.......Back to the shadows............. :happytv:

(Disclaimer: I don't have room in the luggage to take mugs back, so I don't. But, I do remember the big promise of "lifetime". I really don't care. I'm more concerned with how people behave. But, it seems like I'm living in "Biff's Alternate Universe" today............)

ok i was just down there last weekend and bought 2 new mugs at pop i told the cm that i have 6 of them and she said why did you not bring them i said that it states on the mug that it is for the length of stay she said it did not matter next time bring them they are not making sure that the mug you have is new. that was from a cm from the food court at pop but i will buy them every time i go anyway. next time you go ask what the policy is i did and i still am confused because many people here have has diff answers would love to know what cm say about it for everyone else this is my story

Uncleromulus said:
This isn't a Harvard Law School debate board. Keep this non-personal or it'll be closed.

Please dont take this as "back talk" (I dont want banned or barred from Disboards or anything) but I am really curious since I felt this was some what directed towards the discussion between Bicker and myself. Respectivly, how was this personal? Alot of posters refer to outside sources and copy links to make points. Maybe I am just feeling quilty and this was not aimed at anyone, and if that is the case...oops. I personal thought that the in depth discussion gave a some new (although un-mind changing) thought into a tired subject. But for the reccord if I offened anyone~sorry.

notnothin said:
To me, this is easily the best and most civil (for the most part) mug debate to date. Lovin' the law-speak. ;)

I enjoyed the law-speak also. I did not understand all of it but I did learn a few things.
I found it very interesting. :thumbsup2

There were "reported'" posts on this thread that were brought to our attention. Several posts had to be deleted.
It was time to direct EVERYONE back to the topic of the original post.

minnie61650 said:
From this Mouseplanet.com website:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/refillable_mugs_policy_changes.htm

In an effort to rein in costs and increase income, the Walt Disney World Resort hotels are making some drastic changes to the extremely popular refillable mug program that may affect many repeat visitors to the resort.

[If you are unfamiliar with the program, you can read about it in MousePlanet's WDW Resorts from A to Z page under "Refillable Mugs."]

According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel entitled "32 ounces of soda not enough? Disney tries out self-serve refills," Walt Disney World is making large 32-ounce soft drink mugs available for free self-serve refills in Typhoon Lagoon. That's the good news. The bad news is that you can only refill your mug on the day of purchase. If you return to Typhoon Lagoon the next day, you can no longer refill your mug for free.

Disney has added a new UPC bar coding system to the self-serve refill stations that, for the first time, controls a previously unenforced policy. Although the refillable mug program has always been advertised as available during an actual length of stay that allows guests to refill their mugs during their trip, in reality, guests often brought their mugs back on subsequent trips to refill them free of charge. With the UPC code tied to a guest's hotel reservation, this new system closes this loophole altogether. That is, once your stay has ended, your mug is no longer refillable. Those mugs you bought on previous visits won't work next time you vacation at WDW.
Another loophole that may close with this new system is that you might not be able to use your mug at any other resort except at the one you are staying. For example, if you stay at one of the resorts for a few days and purchase a mug there, and then you move over to another resort for the balance of your vacation, the mug might not be refillable at the second resort.
How will this new system be enforced? Once the UPC code system is fully activated, they can devise a system by which the fountains work only if an "active" UPC code is on the mug.

WDW visitors are already complaining that the new system is yet another line to stand in and just "more time-consuming nonsense cutting into [one's] vacation time."

Did you recently visit WDW and see this change in practice? If you have any first-hand knowledge or experience, please email me or Brian Bennett at brian@mouseplanet.com to provide us with more details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea how old that article in the Orlando Sentinal is?? Just curious since the mug bar code thingie at Typhoon Lagoon isn't particularly new. I was just at WDW and saw no evidence of them trying out anything new at the resorts. In fact, when I try to click on the Orlando Sentinal site for the article it tells me that requested article is 'outdated'. Just curious.

Sammie said:
Has anyone been able to prove there ever was a guarantee of refills for life other than hearsay. Was it ever in writing? Was it printed on the receipt, I know it was not on the mugs? Does anyone have a photo of a sign at the food court that stated this policy?

I am not saying it did not exist, I was just curious as I can find no proof of it. We were never told this and we have gone every year for over 25 years. Surely in all that time we would have seen something to this affect. :confused3

Sammie,

I have said many times on here. Back in 2000 I was at the Beach Club and in the room mini bar there were 4 mugs that were available for purchase, they were wrapped in plastic and had a gold sticker on the plastic that said the mugs were good for Lifetime refills at the resort purchased. If I had known now that my word would be questioned time and again and that there would be such a debate about this I would have saved that darn gold sticker.

Paco said:
3.jpg

Here's a pic from Beach club, 1998 or 1999. Cup wrapped in plastic, had a gold sticker, good for life, or something like that............

No, can't see the sticker. In the thousands of pics I have, that's the best I found. With all the monotonous pics I take (I've got pics of toilets in WDW...), I'm really surprised I didn't take a pic of the gold label.

O.K. .....Bomb Droped.......Back to the shadows............. :happytv:

(Disclaimer: I don't have room in the luggage to take mugs back, so I don't. But, I do remember the big promise of "lifetime". I really don't care. I'm more concerned with how people behave. But, it seems like I'm living in "Biff's Alternate Universe" today............)

OMG!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Someone else has acutally seen that darn gold sticker besides me! I wish you had a pic that would end this discussion once and for all. I might just go through my pics and see what I have now. I know my husband took some pics of the mini bar offerings.

goofy4tink said:
Any idea how old that article in the Orlando Sentinal is?? Just curious since the mug bar code thingie at Typhoon Lagoon isn't particularly new. I was just at WDW and saw no evidence of them trying out anything new at the resorts. In fact, when I try to click on the Orlando Sentinal site for the article it tells me that requested article is 'outdated'. Just curious.

The article was written June 2002 when the new BB and TL mugs were being tested..
It makes me aware that Disney is concerned that some guests are not following policy and when it becomes cost effective they will most likely install this system or something similar. JMHO

I think Disney does not want to embarrass guests who are not following rules.

They sometimes use other ways to enforce their rules.

That is why we have 3 hour parking passes for dining at other resorts,
finger scanning to get in parks (no ticket sharing)
Wrist bands for SAB
Wrist bands for EMH, MNSSHP, and MVMCP
Barcodes for TL and BB mugs

How soon before the LOS Barcode for resort mugs?
If the refill mug abuses continue it may be a lot sooner than we want.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is another article written in June 2002:

http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/2002/06/24.html

Disney Mug Holders, Beware

"The new system of computerized monitoring of fountain refills being experimented with at Typhoon Lagoon could tighten a rather loose policy at Disney's resorts. They sell 16-ounce souvenir mugs for $9.99.

Guests may refill them at resort snack bars unlimited times with soda, coffee or tea for the length of their stay. Cashiers sell the mugs and then are supposed to keep a watchful eye as guests get their own refills.

But some Disney World employees and regular guests say they take the mugs on repeat visits to the snack bars and fill up -- basically a lifetime of free drinks for one purchase. They are occasionally offered on eBay and at garage sales, testimony to their timeless value.

Cashiers say the mugs' designs aren't changed enough for them to spot old ones. But the new system being tried at Typhoon Lagoon employs a bar code that's read electronically at the drink dispenser and recognizes old mugs." [Orlando Sentinel, via Boing Boing]

----------------------------------------------------------------

And another from June 2002:

From this website:

http://www.intercot.com/news/2002/june.asp

News Archive - June 2002

June 27, 2002

Refillable Mug Policy Tightening?
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Disney is experimenting with a new computerized barcode system to be used in tandem with it's refillable mug program offered at their resorts. The program allows guests to buy a mug for each person in their party which then can be used for unlimited drink refills during their stay. The policy change could come as a result of Guests taking the mugs on repeat visits to Disney World to fill up on what becomes basically a lifetime of free drinks for one purchase.
info and discussion here
------------------------------------------
Yes, to my understanding it has not yet been installed.
But it was on the drawing boards.
Maybe they are waiting for better technology that will make it more cost effective. I don't know.

Bioscans for AP holders were used for a number of years before Disney decided to use them for all (with a few exceptions i.e. ...some in WC/EVC's etc.)of their ticketed guests.
The TL and BB mugs have been using the Barcode stickers for a couple years.
Maybe a length of stay sticker costs too much or is more complicated at the present time.
But I would not be surprised if someday in the near future Disney does have length of stay barcodes or stickers or something else in place to enforce their refillable mug policy.
JMHO

NYDisGuy said:
I wonder if people realize in the United States of America you cannot plead ignorance to breaking a law/rule.

I'll start worrying about this when they start carting mug offenders off to jail! ;)

Seriously, if WDW was as upset about this as some of you guys, they would make their policy more clear. I don't reuse mugs. I believe that they are not intended for reuse. On top of that, I wouldn't have room for the thing in my suitcase even if I wanted to.

I think both sides of this are hilarious : if you want to use it every year; go for it! If you are like me and don't; don't! There are better things to fight about (like not offering elderly people seats on the buses...now that I could fight about!!! :rotfl: )

Coming this fall to ABC... Law & Order WDW (if you listen closely you can hear the "donk donk"). :teeth:

Miss Inga Depointe said:
......There are better things to fight about (like not offering elderly people seats on the buses...now that I could fight about!!! :rotfl: )

I agree there are more impotant issues.

Off Topic;
My apologies to the OP.

Those of us who need roll in showers cannot stay CL at the Poly or BC or YC. We cannot even get a room with a water view at the Poly or the YC.
See this thread for more info;
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1099261&page=1&pp=15

Also I just found out that apparently Disney does not have a HA playground at any of their resorts.

See this thread:http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1125882

So if anyone would care to join us in our letter writing campaign.
Please join us. We can use all the support we can get!

I saw the post this morning and wanted to see how far along it got. :) Ahh, the great and oft repeated refillable mug debate - it's a DISboard standard!! ;)

fwm said:
I don't agree, but in any event Disney must provide the notice. What exactly is posted at the fillling station?

This is posted on the Disney website:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=TrailsEndRestaurantDiningPage

Trail's End Restaurant

Resort Refillable Mugs are sold in all Walt Disney World® Resort hotels, and can be used at the restaurant where it was purchased, for the entire duration of the current visit. Each location offers soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate, hot and iced tea.

this makes me laugh. when we stayed at poly years ago we were told good for life, so we kept those darned cups up in the cabinet for years and when we went back, we were told we couldn't use them. you would think it they changed the rule everywhere they would have made new cups with new designs for EVERY resort so an old one could be easily spotted! :thumbsup2

heatherlynn444 said:
this makes me laugh. when we stayed at poly years ago we were told good for life, so we kept those darned cups up in the cabinet for years and when we went back, we were told we couldn't use them. you would think it they changed the rule everywhere they would have made new cups with new designs for EVERY resort so an old one could be easily spotted! :thumbsup2

It seems as though the Poly is the only resort enforcing the rules. I have seen CMs tell folks they can't use their mugs at the Poly a few times. The guests get very upset or embarrassed and then either leave or buy a new mug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter