Reading Challenge/Goals for 2023--2024 link added

And I love the trilogy, so to each their own... I think the character you are referring to is one I especially like (lol).
I bet you're excited! Stephen King's next book will be "Holly". Starring none other than Holly Gibney, that character you especially like! (The character that I dislike. I am bummed, LOL). Entertainment Weekly has an excerpt of the book, which has a publication date of Sept 2023.

#6/50 The Hidden One by Linda Castillo
The discovery of an Amish bishop's remains leads chief of police Kate Burkholder to unearth a chilling secret.
Over a decade ago, beloved Amish bishop Ananias Stoltzfus disappeared without a trace. When skeletal remains showing evidence of foul play are unearthed, his disappearance becomes even more sinister.

This is #14 in the Kate Burkholder series which I love. Now to wait probably another year for the next installment, lol.

Coming in late, but jumping in anyway! Last year's challenge was an epic fail when life went sideways at the end of January and I'm pretty sure my brain dissolved into a puddle of stress-laden goo for several months, but a new challenge is just the thing to get back in the reading habit, right? Starting off with a more modest goal of 104 this time and looking forward to getting lots of suggestions from this thread, as always.

#1 - Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone by Diana Gabaldon

It took me forever to get it and even longer to get around to it - that's too thick a tome to tote around in suitcases or backpacks! - but it was well worth the wait. I love how the Outlander cast and universe has expanded over time, and I especially love the stretches of story that take place on Fraser's Ridge which, though fictional, is roughly situated in a place I have fond travel memories of. Now, on to eagerly awaiting the next book in the series!

#2 - Humane: How the United States Abandoned Peace and Reinvented War by Samuel Moyn

War books are never really uplifting, at least when they're non fiction, but this one was particularly bleak and dense enough to make it slow reading. The perspective it brought to the modern history of warfare and the development of international laws of war after each of the world wars was fascinating, and the author did a masterful job of bringing in perspectives from some of history's best-known peace activists to support his conclusion that the project of making war more humane, with less civilian collateral damage and fewer soldiers in harm's way, has actually undermined the cause of peace and non-violent conflict resolution. But still, kind of a bleak read that would maybe have been better left for a time of year that isn't so unrelentingly grey and depressing already.

#3 - Night by Elie Wiesel

I almost feel like this one shouldn't count. I've read it three times now - once from my own interest and twice reading along with a teen for whom it was assigned reading - but repetition doesn't lessen the story's impact in any way. Reading it side-by-side with Humane was particularly troubling, since that book does such a deep dive into the possibilities and limitations of the structures the world put into place to try to ensure something like the concentration camps can never happen again. It is a beautiful addition to the curriculum, though, much more impactful and unflinching than the Diary of Anne Frank and a world away from the very sanitized perspective of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, which my daughter had to read last year.

#4 - Life on the Rocks by Juli Berwald

Finally, a hopeful book! The story of global efforts to protect and restore coral reefs around the world, written by a science journalist with an education in marine biology and the passion of a scuba enthusiast, the narrative hopped from Texas to Bali to Australia to Washington DC to make the case for why protecting the reefs is essential and evaluating the current state of the science attempting to do so. At a time when most environmental stories in the news are terrible, this shone a light on a lot of reasons for hope and a lot of opportunities to support the projects already underway to ensure corals survive both for their own sake and for their larger contributions to the ecosystem despite the challenges of warming and acidifying seas.

#6/50 The Hidden One by Linda Castillo
The discovery of an Amish bishop's remains leads chief of police Kate Burkholder to unearth a chilling secret.
Over a decade ago, beloved Amish bishop Ananias Stoltzfus disappeared without a trace. When skeletal remains showing evidence of foul play are unearthed, his disappearance becomes even more sinister.

This is #14 in the Kate Burkholder series which I love. Now to wait probably another year for the next installment, lol.
This sounds like a good book. I have read one of her books before and liked it except for the language. I should probably try another.

Coming in late, but jumping in anyway! Last year's challenge was an epic fail when life went sideways at the end of January and I'm pretty sure my brain dissolved into a puddle of stress-laden goo for several months, but a new challenge is just the thing to get back in the reading habit, right? Starting off with a more modest goal of 104 this time and looking forward to getting lots of suggestions from this thread, as always.
Glad you are here!

2/30 - Dawn's Light by Terri Blackstock

Description:
"As the Pulses that caused the outage are finally coming to an end, thirteen-year-old Beth Branning witnesses a murder. Threatened by the killer, she keeps the matter to herself. But her silence could cost her life.

Meanwhile, as Deni’s ex-fiancé returns to Crockett with a newfound faith and the influence to get things done, Deni is torn between the man who can fulfill all her dreams and Mark Green, the man who inhabits them.

As the world slowly emerges from the crisis, the Brannings face their toughest crisis yet. Will God require more of them than they’ve already given? How will they keep their faith if he doesn’t answer their prayers?"

This is book #4 (and the final book) of Blackstock's Restoration series. I really enjoyed all of the books, and this was another great one. It was sad but also inspiring. I will probably look for more of her books.

3/35 The Ways We Hide by Kristina McMorris

During WWII illusionist Fenna Vos is recruited by British intelligence to design escape aids, but it sends her on a perilous path that tests her loyalty.

This is the second book I’ve read by this author this year. I enjoyed the story, lots of peril and well developed characters.

3/30 - The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman

from Amazon: A luminous, Marquez-esque tale” (O, The Oprah Magazine) from the New York Times bestselling author of The Museum of Extraordinary Things: a forbidden love story set on a tropical island about the extraordinary woman who gave birth to painter Camille Pissarro—the Father of Impressionism.

It took me just about half the book until I really got drawn into the story. I didn't realize at first that this fiction was based on the life of Camille Pissarro. The main character is his mother, Rachel, and it is mostly told from her point of view. It became a book that I couldn't put down, though. It was a good book but I'm not sure I will read any more books from this author. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.

I bet you're excited! Stephen King's next book will be "Holly". Starring none other than Holly Gibney, that character you especially like! (The character that I dislike. I am bummed, LOL). Entertainment Weekly has an excerpt of the book, which has a publication date of Sept 2023.
Already ordered. LOL!

3/26

"Vacationland" by Meg Mitchell Moore. I really liked it 4/5 stars.

From the Library's website:

Summary:"As sophisticated and delicious as lobster bisque." — Amanda Eyre Ward, New York Times bestselling author of The Lifeguards and The Jetsetters Louisa has come to her parents' house in Maine this summer with all three of her kids, a barely-written book, and a trunkful of resentment. Left behind in Brooklyn is her husband, who has promised that after this final round of fundraising at his startup he will once again pick up his share of the household responsibilities. Louisa is hoping that the crisp breeze off Penobscot Bay will blow away the irritation she is feeling with her life choices and replace it with enthusiasm for both her family and her work. But all isn't well in Maine. Louisa's father, a retired judge and pillar of the community, is suffering from Alzheimer's. Louisa's mother is alternately pretending everything is fine and not pretending at all. And one of Louisa's children happens upon a very confusing and heartfelt letter referring to something Louisa doesn't think her father could possibly have done. Louisa's not the only one searching for something in Maine this summer. Kristie took the Greyhound bus from Pennsylvania with one small suitcase, $761, and a lot of baggage. She's got a past she's trying to outrun, a secret she's trying to unpack, and a new boyfriend who's so impossibly kind she can't figure out what she did to deserve him. But she can't keep her various lives from colliding forever. As June turns to July turns to August, secrets will be unearthed, betrayals will come to light, and both Louisa and Kristie will ask themselves what they are owed and what they owe others. A delicious summer read and an exploration of family, responsibility, ambition and loss, Vacationland is Meg Mitchell Moore at her best.

3/30 - The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman

from Amazon: A luminous, Marquez-esque tale” (O, The Oprah Magazine) from the New York Times bestselling author of The Museum of Extraordinary Things: a forbidden love story set on a tropical island about the extraordinary woman who gave birth to painter Camille Pissarro—the Father of Impressionism.

It took me just about half the book until I really got drawn into the story. I didn't realize at first that this fiction was based on the life of Camille Pissarro. The main character is his mother, Rachel, and it is mostly told from her point of view. It became a book that I couldn't put down, though. It was a good book but I'm not sure I will read any more books from this author. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.
Alice Hoffman - interesting. I also liked Marriage of Opposites and share your 3 star rating. If you do want to try anything else by her, you might consider The Dovekeepers - historical fiction about the siege of Masada. It was excellent. I also enjoyed Practical Magic.

The rest of her stuff - hard pass (for me).

I read 5 other of Alice Hoffman's books. They were so bad I rated them 0 to 1 star and quit reading or recommending this author. She uses the same characters and plot formulas over and over again. You'll always recognize her main characters because they're always the same - a mentally ill female (usually self-harm and/or drug addiction) with black hair, a "witchy" look, and tattoos. Hyper-focus on mental illness, trauma, drug addiction. Formulistic plots that are both stupid and unbelievable.

Last edited:
Alice Hoffman - interesting. I also liked Marriage of Opposites and share your 3 star rating. If you do want to try anything else by her, you might consider The Dovekeepers - historical fiction about the siege of Masada. It was excellent. I also enjoyed Practical Magic.

The rest of her stuff - hard pass (for me).

I read 5 other of Alice Hoffman's books. They were so bad I rated them 0 to 1 star and quit reading or recommending this author. She uses the same characters and plot formulas over and over again. You'll always recognize her main characters because they're always the same - a mentally ill female (usually self-harm and/or drug addiction) with black hair, a "witchy" look, and tattoos. Hyper-focus on mental illness, trauma, drug addiction. Formulistic plots that are both stupid and unbelievable.
Thanks for the review of Alice Hoffman books. I sometimes get suspicious of authors who can churn out a lot of books in a short time for the reasons you mentioned. :)

3/26

"Vacationland" by Meg Mitchell Moore. I really liked it 4/5 stars.

From the Library's website:

Summary:"As sophisticated and delicious as lobster bisque." — Amanda Eyre Ward, New York Times bestselling author of The Lifeguards and The Jetsetters Louisa has come to her parents' house in Maine this summer with all three of her kids, a barely-written book, and a trunkful of resentment. Left behind in Brooklyn is her husband, who has promised that after this final round of fundraising at his startup he will once again pick up his share of the household responsibilities. Louisa is hoping that the crisp breeze off Penobscot Bay will blow away the irritation she is feeling with her life choices and replace it with enthusiasm for both her family and her work. But all isn't well in Maine. Louisa's father, a retired judge and pillar of the community, is suffering from Alzheimer's. Louisa's mother is alternately pretending everything is fine and not pretending at all. And one of Louisa's children happens upon a very confusing and heartfelt letter referring to something Louisa doesn't think her father could possibly have done. Louisa's not the only one searching for something in Maine this summer. Kristie took the Greyhound bus from Pennsylvania with one small suitcase, $761, and a lot of baggage. She's got a past she's trying to outrun, a secret she's trying to unpack, and a new boyfriend who's so impossibly kind she can't figure out what she did to deserve him. But she can't keep her various lives from colliding forever. As June turns to July turns to August, secrets will be unearthed, betrayals will come to light, and both Louisa and Kristie will ask themselves what they are owed and what they owe others. A delicious summer read and an exploration of family, responsibility, ambition and loss, Vacationland is Meg Mitchell Moore at her best.
Thanks for this recommendation - I just put a hold on it at my library!

4/35 Spare by Prince Harry

Memoir of his life from the death of his mother at age twelve until now.

I didn’t really have an opinion about Prince Harry, I don’t follow him and his wife but it’s impossible not to hear some things. What I took away from the book was that the death of his mother devastated him and he’s really never gotten over it. Also, his intense hatred for the paparazzi consumes him. A fast read, didn’t love it, but it also wasn’t horrible.

7/50 Black Hills by Nora Roberts. From Barnes & Noble:

"Cooper Sullivan spent the summers of his youth on his grandparents’ South Dakota ranch, sharing innocent games and stolen kisses with the neighbor girl, Lil Chance. Now, twelve years after they last walked together hand in hand, fate has brought them back to the Black Hills.

Though the memory of Coop’s touch still haunts her, Lil has let nothing stop her dream of opening the Chance Wildlife Refuge, but something—or someone—has been keeping a close watch. When small pranks and acts of destruction escalate into a heartless attack on Lil’s beloved cougar, memories of an unsolved murder have Coop springing to action to keep Lil safe.

Both of them know the natural dangers that lurk in the wild landscape of the Black Hills. But a killer of twisted and unnatural instincts has singled them out as prey...."

Predictable, but an entertaining read.

My January reads-
1. "Stowed Away", Barbara Ross-3stars-I've read a couple of books from this series (cozy mystery) and never felt like I needed to read the entire series in order, but with this one I did. Confusing references to previous events. Otherwise, nice beach read about northern New England seashore.

2. "The Watchmakers" Harry Lenga-5 stars-I'm usually a sucker for a WWII novel, but not non-fiction. However, this non-fiction was so well researched and so interesting.

3. "Every Summer After"-Carley Fortune-3 stars. Teenagers acting like teenagers as they discover hormones.

4. "The Ways We Hide"-Kristina McMorris-3 1/2 stars. Very interesting premise. Would have rated it much higher if the story had been told in about 2/3 the # of pages.

5. "The Getaway"-Emily March-typical enjoyable Emily March romance.

My #4 for the year:

James Lee Burke "Every Cloak Rolled in Blood" (a Holland Family novel)
Wow, wow, wow.

James Lee Burke is one of the best writers in America today. His prose is lyrical. So much so that I feel myself sinking into his books the minute I start reading. His settings are so well drawn that they become characters in themselves. His various book series are different and interesting. His books are crime / good vs. evil.

Burke's longest running and most well-known series involves the character Dave Robicheaux, a cop who lives in and around New Iberia, Louisiana. Many of these books take side jaunts into New Orleans. They're gritty and tough, but also lyrical. I've read them all. Excellent series, and one I'd recommend reading in order as the main character and his sidekicks age and have important life experiences. There are a lot of Robicheaux books - probably 20 or more. James Lee Burke lived in New Iberia, Louisiana, and brings the setting, history and culture to life.

Burke's "secondary" series is interesting and unique. It involves the Holland Family. It's a different kind of series, with varied main characters who are all part of the Holland clan (dating back to a Civil War era great grandfather). Because they don't involve one singular character and don't take place in a particular chronological order, they don't necessarily need to be read in order. I think there are about 10 Holland family books. I did not read them in order, and didn't feel that it mattered. All are so varied that they work as stand alone books. They are set in Texas and Montana. James Lee Burke currently lives in Missoula, Montana, and his love for the area is clear.

Every Cloak Rolled in Blood is a humdinger. The main character is Aaron Holland Broussard, an 85 year old writer living in Missoula, Montana, whose ancestors include a WWI era Holland, a Texas Ranger and a Civil War era Holland. I mention this because although the book is set in the present day, it concerns itself with a code of honor handed down in families as well as the evils that men do (today) and the evils that men have done in the past. Some of these evils come back to haunt the events of the book - literally. There are literal ghosts in this book.

I loved it. My father, who is 86, and has read all of the James Lee Burke books along with me, and loves them all, felt that Every Cloak Rolled In Blood went a bit too far into the spectrum of the paranormal for his taste.

I, on the other hand, am a lover of history and genealogy. My taste in books runs to mystery, crime fiction, historical fiction, fantasy and horror. As such, Every Cloak Rolled in Blood ticked all my boxes. I finished it thinking "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza - go, James Lee Burke!" The book is also clearly very autobiographical, and I appreciated this author that I've loved for many years putting it all out there for me and for his long-time readers.

And now I'm off to read Another Kind of Eden by James Lee Burke. This one came out a couple of years ago but I downloaded it onto my kindle and forgot about it (duh). It'll be interesting, because it involves the same main character as Every Cloak Rolled in Blood. But it's set in the 1960's when Aaron Holland Broussard is a young man and an aspiring author. So back in time I go. I'm sure it'll be another great read.

My January reads:

1) Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel by Kathleen Rooney - Historical Fiction. 3.75/5

2) The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas – Sc-Fi. 4/5

3) Year of the Tiger: An Activist's Life by Alice Wong – Memoir. 5/5

4) Poukahangatus: Poems by Tayi Tibble – Poetry. 4.5/5

5) Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy – History/Health/Politics. 3/5

6) Leviathan Falls by James S. A. Corey – Sci-Fi. 5/5

7) The Oleander Sword by Tasha Suri -Fantasy 5/5

8) Good for a Girl: My Life Running in a Man's World by Lauren Fleshman – Memoir/Sports. 5/5

9) Welcome to the Show: 17 Horror Stories - One Legendary Venue edited by Doug Murano – Horror. 4/5

10) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - Classic. 3.75/5

11) Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare – Horror. 4/5

12) How Far the Light Reaches: A Life in Ten Sea Creatures by Sabrina Imbler – Memoir/Science. 5/5

13) Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela by Nelson Mandela – Autobiography. 5/5

14) McCarthyism in the Suburbs: Quakers, Communists, and the Children's Librarian by Allison Hepler – History/Politics. 5/5

15) Changing Planes by Ursula K. Le Guin – Sci-Fi. 4/5

16) Unbowed: A Memoir by Wangari Maathai – Autobiography. 5/5

17) The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick by Mallory O'Meara – Biography/Memoir. 3.5/5

18) Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin – Contemporary. 3/5

19) The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune – Fantasy. 4.25/5

20) Galactic Hellcats by Marie Vibbert – Sci-Fi. 3.75/5

21) The New Voices of Science Fiction edited by Hannu Rajaniemi & Jacob Weisman – Sci-Fi. 4/5

My January reads:

1) Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel by Kathleen Rooney - Historical Fiction. 3.75/5

2) The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas – Sc-Fi. 4/5

3) Year of the Tiger: An Activist's Life by Alice Wong – Memoir. 5/5

4) Poukahangatus: Poems by Tayi Tibble – Poetry. 4.5/5

5) Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy – History/Health/Politics. 3/5

6) Leviathan Falls by James S. A. Corey – Sci-Fi. 5/5

7) The Oleander Sword by Tasha Suri -Fantasy 5/5

8) Good for a Girl: My Life Running in a Man's World by Lauren Fleshman – Memoir/Sports. 5/5

9) Welcome to the Show: 17 Horror Stories - One Legendary Venue edited by Doug Murano – Horror. 4/5

10) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - Classic. 3.75/5

11) Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare – Horror. 4/5

12) How Far the Light Reaches: A Life in Ten Sea Creatures by Sabrina Imbler – Memoir/Science. 5/5

13) Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela by Nelson Mandela – Autobiography. 5/5

14) McCarthyism in the Suburbs: Quakers, Communists, and the Children's Librarian by Allison Hepler – History/Politics. 5/5

15) Changing Planes by Ursula K. Le Guin – Sci-Fi. 4/5

16) Unbowed: A Memoir by Wangari Maathai – Autobiography. 5/5

17) The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick by Mallory O'Meara – Biography/Memoir. 3.5/5

18) Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin – Contemporary. 3/5

19) The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune – Fantasy. 4.25/5

20) Galactic Hellcats by Marie Vibbert – Sci-Fi. 3.75/5

21) The New Voices of Science Fiction edited by Hannu Rajaniemi & Jacob Weisman – Sci-Fi. 4/5
You read 21 books in January including WAR AND PEACE?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter