READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going on the 23rd. So even though I knew I was going to be checking this board every day until then, now I really will have to lol As that will only be very few days of an 8am time to see what the emerging pattern (if any) will be with the slightly "later" start time. Later is in quotes as they moved it up from 9am lol. And who knows it could (and probably will) change again before my trip lol

See you there on the 23rd!

Apparently 7:01 with half the park locked out of the app...... what a frustrating morning from all the reports, and I'm not even there... (I'm exaggerating of course but today these reports are nuts today and do not sit well with me)
I agree! We have 2 weeks until we're going to be there and after researching and coming up with a plan, a morning like today sounds tragic.

Has there been a report of anyone who has been inside the Park at opening and not managed to ride? I’m just so nervous that we will somehow miss the chance to ride it. We live in Maryland so we won’t be back for years, and we only have one day planned at Disney. 😬😬😬

Has there been a report of anyone who has been inside the Park at opening and not managed to ride? I’m just so nervous that we will somehow miss the chance to ride it. We live in Maryland so we won’t be back for years, and we only have one day planned at Disney. 😬😬😬
Based on some of the IT issues today...I'd say there is risk of that occurring if the ride experienced some down time today. Luckily it's been performing well so hopefully today will NOT be the day that we get DPs of that.

Apologies if this is asked and answered a lot...but is it possible to add people to your existing boarding group once you have one?

I actually preferred the previous method, when the earlier you entered the park, the better your chances for a boarding group were. I was there on December 13th and 14th, before they changed the system. The park opened early and you could book a BG as soon as you and the members of your party were tapped in.

I understand that people may prefer the current system, since it means you don't have to get up at 3:30 a.m. (actually the first time I rode I got up at 3:15 a.m. and "slept in" until 4 a.m. the second time), but under the former system at least once you tapped in to the park, you weren't standing in a group of thousands of other people who were all trying to do the same thing you were. There were only a few hundred people and I feel there was less of a strain on the app.

The thing about this method is that people would keep getting there earlier. By now, people probably would be getting there at 3:00 AM to 'beat' the other people. Effectively it would be a race to the "bottom". I think Disney handled it as best that they could. This type of ride launch is always going to be a zero-sum game. For every person that rides, someone doesn't get to ride. That's what happens when you have a ride with popularity that dictates that it runs at it's max every minute it can.

So far Disney has set-up the system so that it negatively impacts people as little as possible. Of course, it won't be perfect for a lot of folks, but I truly believe that is unavoidable given the above constraints.

Last edited:
Apologies if this is asked and answered a lot...but is it possible to add people to your existing boarding group once you have one?
like people arriving later and then a CM adding them? no
like people arriving at the same time and getting a different BG number and you all want to be in the same bg? it could be done by a CM if there's availability

Today is a collision of 2 major factors:

1) We still have holiday crowds there
2) Yesterday was New Years and so lots of people were not planning to wake up early. Perhaps many avoided DHS because of this knowing that it could cost them a BG making today a more popular park day

Of course tomorrow we have AP blackouts being lifted so that will further affect the situation. We still aren't going to get a clean "non-holiday" data-set until 1/6-1/9. We'll still have 7am opens there but closing at 8pm, 13 operating hours, and holiday crowds gone. This thread has been a wild ride and it isn't done yet, lol!

DateScheduled Park OpenActual Park OpenBG OpenTime BGs Full# of BGsBackup BG CloseBGs ReachedNotes
5-Dec9:00AM5:30AMRoughly 5:30AM8:30AM158127
6-Dec9:00AM6:09AMRoughly 6:00AM8:15AM9191
7-Dec9:00AM6:36AM6:36AM8:50AM12087Ride closed early
8-DecEMH 6-8:00AM6:05AM7:18AM7:56AM11590sChange to one boarding group per day
9-Dec8:00AM6:27AM6:27AM8:30AM115115
10-Dec8:00AM6:30AM6:30AM8:40AM11582
11-Dec8:00AM6:30AM6:30AM7:55AM90?81
12-Dec7:00AM6:35AM6:35AM7:20AM9191
13-Dec7:00AM6:40AM6:40AM7:59AM108108
14-Dec7:00AM6:18AM6:18AM7:44AM110110
15-Dec7:00AM6:20AM6:20AM7:25AM123123
16-Dec7:00AM6:25AM6:25AM7:35AM12011:22AM120Back up BG's added
17-Dec7:00AM6:42AM6:42AM7:43AM1068:41AM122Back up BG's reached
18-Dec7:00AM6:32AM7:00AM7:35AM1059:01AM126BG's released at park open
19-Dec7:00AM6:40AM7:00AM8:15AM10511:00AM144
20-Dec7:00AM6:40AM7:00AM7:45AM10411:00AM176
21-Dec7:00AM6:32AM7:00AM7:35AM1168:55AM129Delayed opening (9:30AMish)
22-Dec7:00AM6:23AM7:00AM7:16AM1029:20AM166
23-Dec7:00AM6:33AM7:00AM7:35AM1259:26AM192
24-Dec7:00AM6:31AM7:00AM7:28AM1219:17AM152
25-Dec7:00AM6:31AM7:00AM8:30AM11812:02PM165
26-Dec6:00AM5:42AM6:00AM6:30AM908:16AM136Mass issues with the park open
27-Dec6:00AM5:30AM6:00AM6:15AM1067:00AM109Finger prints not used at open
28-Dec6:00AM5:33AM6:00AM6:20AM1119:15AM142No finger prints
29-Dec6:00AM5:33AM6:00AM6:09AM1137:44AM193
30-Dec6:00AM5:35AM6:00AM6:17AM1197:38AM179No finger prints
31-Dec6:00AM5:34AM6:00AM7:17AM12911:19AM222
1-Jan7:00AM6:30AM7:00AM7:20AM1129:32AM152
2-Jan7:00AM6:30AM7:00AM7:03AM1277:35AM

Today is a collision of 2 major factors:

1) We still have holiday crowds there
2) Yesterday was New Years and so lots of people were not planning to wake up early. Perhaps many avoided DHS because of this knowing that it could cost them a BG making today a more popular park day

Of course tomorrow we have AP blackouts being lifted so that will further affect the situation. We still aren't going to get a clean "non-holiday" data-set until 1/6-1/9. We'll still have 7am opens there but closing at 8pm, 13 operating hours, and holiday crowds gone. This thread has been a wild ride and it isn't done yet, lol!
Yesterday morning was worse than NYE and December 29.

Does anyone else think that it feels as if things are getting worse rather than better? We will be there next week for the races, and I was thinking that all the bugs would be worked out. But it feels as if the randomness factor of BG #’s and Disney IT is getting worse. We plan to be at HS on Thursday (5k day), and I‘m worried now whereas I wasn’t really before :(

Yesterday morning was worse than NYE and December 29.
But the data doesn't seem to support that:
  • YESTERDAY: Regular BGs filled at 7:20am
  • YESTERDAY: Backups lasted until 9:30am and the highest handed out was 152 we believe
  • TODAY: We have reports today of people getting 132 and 135 at 7:07am.
  • TODAY: Regular BGs filled at 7:03am
  • TODAY: Somebody got backup BG 181 at 7:28am!!
EDIT: wait I see your response was saying something totally different than what I was saying, LOL! Sorry!

I agree that NYE was it's own phenomenon with 18 operating hours and people not waking up early because they were planning to be out until midnight. Basically there is little value in all of the data we have because we're chasing a moving target right now. I'm looking forward to next week and more consistency, LOL!

Does anyone else think that it feels as if things are getting worse rather than better? We will be there next week for the races, and I was thinking that all the bugs would be worked out. But it feels as if the randomness factor of BG #’s and Disney IT is getting worse. We plan to be at HS on Thursday (5k day), and I‘m worried now whereas I wasn’t really before :(

I think the first few days of operation were probably among the best to visit in hindsight.

Touring advice got out which brought more educated crowds earlier and earlier, heavier crowds naturally came because of the holidays, and Disney made major modifications to the process (less recovery FP needed to be given out, one BG limit, the change to the lottery feel system). At the beginning we had a few DISers who managed multiple rides a day!

But the data doesn't seem to support that:
  • YESTERDAY: Regular BGs filled at 7:20am
  • YESTERDAY: Backups lasted until 9:30am and the highest handed out was 152 we believe
  • TODAY: We have reports today of people getting 132 and 135 at 7:07am.
  • TODAY: Regular BGs filled at 7:03am
  • TODAY: Somebody got backup BG 181 at 7:28am!!
EDIT: wait I see your response was saying something totally different than what I was saying, LOL! Sorry!

I agree that NYE was it's own phenomenon with 18 operating hours and people not waking up early because they were planning to be out until midnight. Basically there is little value in all of the data we have because we're chasing a moving target right now. I'm looking forward to next week and more consistency, LOL!
I’m talking about crowd levels at the gates before opening and in the park. NYE was the smoothest of the 3 days and it was the only day we got an immediate ride boarding group, which I’m thankful for since it allowed us to actually go back to bed after riding before a long day with another afternoon break at Epcot.

Things are definitely getting "worse" and it makes sense. More people have knowledge of the situation and are acting accordingly. Even with this knowledge over the last few weeks, a lot of folks may have been unable to act on it on short notice. I do think that eventually we may see a scenario where at park open +1 Min it's a < 100% chance of getting a BG even with no phone/tech issues.

To me, this is still fine, because that's how it rolls with FP+ to some degree, expect here there is no preference to on-site guests and/or people with really long stays. Yes, it's like a lottery, but as someone who was there for the Hagrid opening, it's 100x better.

• For those who don't know, with Hagrid folks were waiting in like starting at midnight to 3AM in some cases. People who got there just prior to park open were looking at 8 hour standby lines. Folks waiting inline where not even guaranteed to get to ride at all! On some days the ride went down or ran slow and these people waited all that time for nothing....
  • Compared to the above, the potential downside of showing up 45 mins prior to park opening, seeing you don't win the "BG Lotto" and then going about your day feels quite tame. Even if you get a late BG, you have the option of going back to bed, park hopping or hitting the rest of DHS.

I’m talking about crowd levels at the gates before opening and in the park. NYE was the smoothest of the 3 days and it was the only day we got an immediate ride boarding group, which I’m thankful for since it allowed us to actually go back to bed after riding before a long day with another afternoon break at Epcot.
I mean I hear you there, and you're on the ground, and I can't assess what it "feels" like from afar.

All I'm concerned about is how quickly the regular BGs get snatched up. And we have some clear evidence that TODAY was far worse than YESTERDAY in that regard. And my assessment would be that New Years Day vs. 1/2/20 had a huge affect on that. That's all my comment was saying: "Today is a collision of 2 major factors". And it appears that today was way crazier than yesterday, and that's all I was comparing it to.

And of course NYE had it's own set of factors that actually made it a GREAT day to visit :D Who would've thought???

Things are definitely getting "worse" and it makes sense. More people have knowledge of the situation and are acting accordingly. Even with this knowledge over the last few weeks, a lot of folks may have been unable to act on it on short notice. I do think that eventually we may see a scenario where at park open +1 Min it's a < 100% chance of getting a BG even with no phone/tech issues.

To me, this is still fine, because that's how it rolls with FP+ to some degree, expect here there is no preference to on-site guests and/or people with really long stays. Yes, it's like a lottery, but as someone who was there for the Hagrid opening, it's 100x better.

• For those who don't know, with Hagrid folks were waiting in like starting at midnight to 3AM in some cases. People who got there just prior to park open were looking at 8 hour standby lines. Folks waiting inline where not even guaranteed to get to ride at all! On some days the ride went down or ran slow and these people waited all that time for nothing....
  • Compared to the above, the potential downside of showing up 45 mins prior to park opening, seeing you don't win the "BG Lotto" and then going about your day feels quite tame. Even if you get a late BG, you have the option of going back to bed, park hopping or hitting the rest of DHS.

I can totally see both sides and part of me likes the "if youa re willign to get there earlier than you get an earlier slot and guranteed ride, etc. ... but the problem is that people were getting there earlier and earlier and in larger numbers earlier. If "early" stayed at 2 hours prior to park opening then it would be fine but it was getting more and more and that was before the holiday crowds got there so I understand why they had to change it up

And I think this new way is fine IF there are no technical issues and IF everyone there at park opening can get a BG. I know there is no perfect solution but can understand if something is there 30+ minutes prior to the park opening taps the app right away and doesn't get a BG gets kinda upset

I mean I hear you there, and you're on the ground, and I can't assess what it "feels" like from afar.

All I'm concerned about is how quickly the regular BGs get snatched up. And we have some clear evidence that TODAY was far worse than YESTERDAY in that regard. And my assessment would be that New Years Day vs. 1/2/20 had a huge affect on that. That's all my comment was saying: "Today is a collision of 2 major factors". And it appears that today was way crazier than yesterday, and that's all I was comparing it to.

yeah, when it was working that you had at least 30 mins post park opening to still get a regular BG (even if it might be a later one) that "feels" a lot better than like today where they were all gone in 3 minutes and any tiny IT issue means you don't get one

yeah, when it was working that you had at least 30 mins post park opening to still get a regular BG (even if it might be a later one) that "feels" a lot better than like today where they were all gone in 3 minutes and any tiny IT issue means you don't get one
I'm just trying to remain hopeful that it's a product of being 1/2/20, holiday crowds, lots of people willing to wake up early, etc. vs. being the new norm... Time will tell, right? 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter